The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK

+6
westisbest
red_stag
rodders
Mickado
TrailApe
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
10 posters

Go down

Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK Empty Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Hi lads,

Interesting to get opinions here. Nothing better than a top pub to watch the rugby in. A few in Ireland that I know of have great legacies as supporters bars. Other I've been to in UK and Ireland are a little less well known but great atmosphere, great punters, free grub and a pint if your team does well and won't switch over when Man Utd are playing Liverpool in the football.

What are your favourite pubs to watch rugby and why?

All the best

Trev

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK Empty Re: Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK

Post by TrailApe Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

and won't switch over when Man Utd are playing Liverpool in the football.

What?

In Newcastle there are dozens of good pubs, but never mind the mancs or the scousers, they'd even rather watch Plymouth Argyle vs Crewe Alexander in a cup that nobody ever has heard of than watch England vs Anybody in the RWC final.

My mucker, whose a reasonably bright chap (went to Poly and everything) once suggested - as a form of entertainmemt - that we go and watch Newcastle reserves, saying (this is the bit that got me) that it was quite cheap!!! censored

So the Toon has lots of cracking bars, quiet ones, noisy ones and just middle of the road ones but if theres a game of footie on - anywhere in the world and it's televised- it will be on in Newcastle.

I could cry at times.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK Empty Re: Best Pub to Watch Rugby in Ireland or UK

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

There aren’t enough pubs to watch rugby in. If you want to watch a Leinster league game in Dublin you have to check there’s no football on, if Kiddeminster Harriers are playing Accrington Stanley then you’re screwed. Either that or commute to a D4 pub to watch it.

Last edited by Mickado on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

No rugby pubs this way either. If there's football or to a lesser extent gaa on forget about it steam.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

We used have a lot of traditional rugby pubs in Limerick what would have AIL associations one would be a Young Munsters bar, another Garryowen, another for Shannong etc.

Clohessys and Flannerys have both really identified themselves as rugby pubs in Limerick.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

O'Neills in Bournemouth is great for the 6 Nations.

Good atmosphere, friendly banter.

Paddy's day next year will be good, final day, if its the same as 07 we're in for a great day in there.

Thats about it in the centre of town.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

I watched the Ireland v England 6N game in an Irish bar in Edinburgh and the Ireland v England warm up game in an Irish bar in Nice.

It's ironic that Irish theme bars outside of Ireland are always a sure bet for the rugby but if you live anywhere in Ireland outside of Dublin, Limerick and Belfast finding a pub thats shows rugby is like finding a needle in a haystack .... Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

Rodders im hurt! boxing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

....apart from the Taphouse of course! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Hug Yep!

Going to open at 9am on Saturday 17th to show Ireland v Australia. Food and drink available.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Standulstermen wrote: Hug Yep!

Going to open at 9am on Saturday 17th to show Ireland v Australia. Food and drink available.

I would love to be able to head up for is as planned Stand. But the Dubs had to go getting themselves involved in an All Ireland final! Have to prioritise!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

If I can talk the GF into driving home then I might just check that out Stand. No way I'm doing a 3 hr round trip without a couple of guinness guinness ...

Are Ulster playing at home that day do you know?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

Ulster play Cardiff the night before if i am not mistaken.

Mick its a long way to come i know. We will also open for the QF's/SF's WHEN Ireland get to them.

Rodders
Have decided to run a free bus to all the games from the bar as well. Its for guys who have tickets but dont want to fork out the taxis to and from town. Pickup for the Ulster v Cardiff game is 6.20pm and pickup from Ravenhill after is 9pm. Also on the bus up to Ravers we will give out tokens for a free heineken in the Taphouse when we get back after. If you or anyone else is interested just book a place by phoning 90509750. Its only a small bus i have hired as im not sure how it will go yet so first come first served

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:41 pm

There are loads of great rugby pubs in Cardiff, but there is always a battle against the footy fans that go to the pubs as well. Thankfully though, most pubs have more than one tv now, so you can have the rugby on one and the footy on another. Pleases everyone that way OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

I'll be in this one in the Dam for a few games. Big fry-up for brekkie, pints and a Chesterfield to sit on. The rugby takes precedence over everything. Its an Aussie Pub. Football, cricket et al are switched to the back room when the rugby is on. Cue loads of pished-up lads, over for a Stag weekend... groaning when the huge screen is switched over to Rugby. Proper order too.
http://www.cocosoutback.com/

There's a great Rugby Pub in the Red Light too... if yer team is losing .. you can slip out for a consolitory shhhag and a spliff at HT or FT. Their team - The Corso Marauders, are a famous 7's side based from the Pub. Lots of English and other stars have played for them.
http://www.cafecorso.nl/cafecorso.html
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:17 pm

On a home international day in Cardiff the hardest thing is finding a pub that you can get in, get served and get a view of a screen. But I love it though as busy pubs means great atmosphere. The number of times we've been somewhere a bit busy before kick off and risked another pub only to find we can't get in is too numerous for us not to have learned a lesson! Must be the beers.

I've always enjoyed games in Demsey's the Irish bar opposite the castle. Bizarrely though one of the best viewing experiences was a bit left field. For the 2008 grand slam match against France we were looking for a good place to watch and stumbled past Oceana, a massive nightclub in the city. Not our usual sort of venue for the rugby but is was great. Must have been thousands in there with screens in all of the different themed rooms. It was an awesome atmosphere. At the end of the game, grand slam secured around 7pm (memory is a bit vague!?) the music came on and it turned into the normal night club to service the celebrating fans! There was even a boudoir themed room and a hot dog vendor (not in the same place!).

Apart from that I usually watch in my local in Caerleon just outside Newport. Lots of pubs there and rugby usually takes precedent for internationals. The biggest shame is that there has never been anywhere remotely decent to watch a game of rugby in Newport city centre. You have to go to the outskirts or to Cardiff unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

The UK is a big place. In Northampton, Thomas a Becket.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

The White Horse in Swanage. good food good beer, top bar staff three screens (one 50") and the landlord is an ex rugby player so rugby get preference in any viewing battle

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:23 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:There are loads of great rugby pubs in Cardiff
City Arms and Dempsey's were two of my favourites when I lived there although they get insanely busy on Wales match days! Both places much better than horrible 'pubs' like Walkabout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down