The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa

+13
jb1973
bedfordwelsh
flyhalffactory
offload
Biltong
deadfred
RubyGuby
dogtooth
rodders
wales606
Comfort
Luckless Pedestrian
nottins_jones
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa - Page 2 Empty Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa

Post by nottins_jones Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is what I am lead to believe when I read this: http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/19516.php

Howley says: "We have to dominate the sky with our back three because the aerial kicking game is so crucial when we play South Africa."

Hook didn't play much at 15 in our warm-ups, but did enough to show he was a capable player under the high ball. I still think he's better in our midfield though. Byrne is very good in the air, but vastly off form. Gets in the squad for being the only out and out full back. Both have a massive boot.

First choice wingers are Shane and North. Despite his height, Shane has always been a reliable player under high ball bombardment.

Thoughts?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

comfort,

I really like the idea of Hook and Preistland swapping/sharing the first reciever role and likewise think this could work with te centres as well. Maybe go back to the old left and right system rather than inside nad outside.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: Byrne or Hook to get nod at full back Vs South Africa

Post by Comfort Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

bedford, absolutely i dont mind how they're lined up (to play left/right or in/out) as long as they play intelligently. jd2 looks an excellant player and we've started to see the best of jamie roberts in these warm-ups, more so than we have in years anyway! funnily enough thats with another proper centre (jd2) with him and hook(or priestland) at flyhalf.

jd2 hasnt been making the searing breaks he does for the scarlets, but hes only setlling in to international rugby. the defence has improved every game (argentina match aside, although we only lost the try at the death) and the back 3 are causing damage and scoring tries. that to me doesnt happen without a workin centre partnership and i still think we have the best of it to come.

hook stays out of the centre for me, hes a revolving door there defnsively. he even looks more assured defensively at fullback!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

Ah, the Delve myth.

Anyone know when the team is to be announced, it's thursday or friday isn't it? Actualy World Cup will be on HTV friday morning, RWC ceremony at 8.30 with NZ v Tonga at 9.00.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

The team's announced on Friday I think.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Comfort / Bedford

Some great interchanges with you two, and alot of rugby common sense.

I'd like to see the stats on Faletau and Powells particularly on yardage, loss of ball in contact, and penalties in their most recent matches. I have to disagree with you on Powell who showed in the AP (few MOM performances) that he is more than a one trick pony.

Apart from that certainly agree with you on the centre partnership, alot of posters cannot see the work Davies does in covering Roberts when he makes his recent barnstorming runs. Its no co-incidence that Roberts is suddenly a different player than he was previously now Hook is no longer his midfield partner I have said it in the past (and was shouted down) but Roberts plays excellent with an "aware" centre. Unfortunately Davies also requires a 10 to straighten the offensive line and a passing movement from the half backs that provides him with a platform to make his fantastic run from the midfield.

Have to say that Hook has been so much better defensively (obviously his shoulder problem has gone) the last three games, the only issue still is his turnovers which again was the highest count of the welsh players, under pressure he still resorts to running into blind alleys and thus I think him starting at FB is the option for Wales.

Obviously alot depends on Byrnes form in training!!.............. and of course there is then "Gatlands Law" to take into considering

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

ahhhhhh fly, gatlands law, although, he seems to be proving himself right with Bennett, as much as i never thought i would come out with those words.

Bynre was atrocious in the argentina game, Ive always said hes solid at his worst, which he is, but we need more than someone blowing overlaps from our fullback. i dont remember byrnes last game that didnt cause a 🤦 moment.

I think Powell is a good club level player, i just think he lacks the brain (top 2 inches anyone?) and technique for international rugby. If you want to see physicality from a welsh player in the tackle see no further than dan lydiate.

i think jd2/roberts could potentially excel in the world cup with hook/priestland at fly half. As much love as i have got for Stephen Jones, I think this world cup will pass him by, hes been an excellant servent but his injury/lack of games/his recent wales record doesnt look good and frankly hook/priestland have played well in the warm-ups and are there on merit and an improving team record.

One player Ive said all along im expecting big things from at this world cup is Mike Phillips. Laugh now (i would), but there have been plenty of rumours flying around about his personal life which would explain his loss of form(and non-appearances for the ospreys) and the off-field incidents (being sat on by a fat bouncer at maccy d's). From what I've heard he turned to the bottle after his break-up with Duffy, he was given an chance by Gatland to go to Spala (a dry camp by all accounts) and hes come back looking a different player.

Although of course, rumours is just rumours and i love a good conspiracy! Whistle

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

In all honesty the games against SA, Fiji and Samoa will suit Phillips as he loves the physical stuff but we need more than just that from him.

He needs to be intelligent with it not his usual bull in a china shop. With Byrne being the only out an out XV in the squad proves what a mockery Gatland made of the last two season by not blooding some rather than just moving Hook back there.

I think he will go with Byrne but as said Priestland and Hook named at 15 & 10 respectively would do it for me then swap as required.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

Bedford I really hope he doesnt go with Byrne, hes liable for at least 2/3 brainflops a game, and his form/fitness isnt really there. Id rather take a risk with high balls in the knowledge that hook/priestland would at least look to counter-attack before hoofing the ball down field.

Agree with Phillips, hes looked more dangerous and he was getting the ball away quicker when he played in the warm-ups, Tavis had a good game but Id rather him as impact for the last20/30 minutes to speed things up. Especially if we're able to bring people like scott williams/brew off the bench for some fresh impetus in the backs.

ironic though isnt it, that our whole world cup possibly comes down to Bennett, and his line-out throwing. maybe gatland knew all along that Bennett would be important at the world cup, i doubt it, but maybe! at least he knows the coach has confidence in him if no-one else does!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

comfort,

I still can't believe that we are going into the WC with Bennett as our 1st choice hooker.

He has performed well of late but thats a few games out of how many, the is no way he should have got anywhere near 50 caps.

As for the XV situation I just don't think Gatland has the minerals to go with Hook and Preistland so with S Jones ruled out I just feel Byrne will get the nod.

I will be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong when he names the team on Friday.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Doesn't anyone think Leigh Halfpenny is in the mix for the fullback spot?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

lp,

I think he could have been if given more game time there but I think that is against him.

Post WC I would love to see him given considerable game time there and be left to develop as our long term XV. He will always be in the mix due to his ability to kick goals from distance.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

I dont think he will be LP, like bedford said why hasnt gatland used him there before? Jamie Roberts has had more exposure at fullback for the blues than 1/2p has. Although, Gatland did decide to move him there at the end of the Argentina game, likewise Shane in the 2nd England game.

Back 3 of Brew/Shane/North? id like that!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

The likelihood is that it'll be Byrne at fullback. I'm not happy about it, but there we go.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

for me it wouldnt be either, priestland looks good but i dont know what he is like under high ball- but would offer another counter ability another option is brew or halfpenny (although a bit small) one other idea i thought of is North?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:36 pm

I think Priestland will start against the Boks, Halfpenny on the bench. Byrne is too much of a risk at the moment. Anyone know when the team is being announced?

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Wed 07 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

Getting back to the choice at 15. It has to be Byrne because he is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of defence both under the high ball and in the tackle. Priestland is an unknown quantity at full back internationally and appears weak as a last defender IMHO. He may be a better counter attacker and that's debatable but it's a luxury and a risk we can do without against the world champs.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 07 Sep 2011, 7:59 pm

I disagree. We have to look to counter-attack against the 'Boks. We're not guaranteed to get much ball from our set piece - certainly not the line-out - so to kick away the ball we get would be criminal. Lee Byrne loves nothing better than kicking away the ball.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

Such a shame that Stoddart is injured, In my opinion he was our best FB option, :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

North/Stoddart/Shane would have been my back 3, but without Stoddart, I'd still advocate that Lee Byrne is not good enough. Sure he can catch a high ball and put his man down in the tackle. But I want more than that from my fullback at the world cup.

North/Shane/Brew. imagine S.Africa kicking loosely to that back 3.

alright, shanes probably not the best last line of defence, but watching take down banahan in a one on one (however much more that said about banahan than shane) it proved he'll bring his man down most of the time!
we all know shane can take a high ball and is the most electric broken field runner in the NH, even now he has to take his zimmaframe onto the pitch.

I certainly wouldnt usually want to put shane at fullback but maybe its what we need against S.Africa? You get another big physical lump on the pitch in brew who'll ruck, look for work and is handy with the ball himself. He'll chase kicks all day long aswell!

I need a lie down, im starting brew on the wing and shane at fullback.

Yahoo

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

I need a lie down, im starting brew on the wing and shane at fullback.

Lie Down!!!! - I think you need to be admitted - where you living I'll pop round with the antipsychotics thumbsup

Priestland
Shane
North

for me thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

Ruby,

I think that is our best option but still think it will be Byrne Shane North.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

Priestland
Shane
North

hook and priestland can swap at first receiver.

sanity has prevailed. i still have a little brew devil on my shoulder whispering sweet nothings about the idea of starting him with shane at fullback mind. i put that down to lack of sleep.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

Yeah Byrne is the new Cooper thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2