The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns to reinquish belt and move up

+8
BALTIMORA
Steffan
Fists of Fury
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Rowley
Pedro147
12 posters

Go down

Burns to reinquish belt and move up Empty Burns to reinquish belt and move up

Post by Pedro147 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/14809598.stm

Seems the Burns Broner fight not a dead cert as we all thought and may be that Ricky is going to go up a weight and try win a belt at a second weight. I think the step up will show Ricky's level a bit more. He is huge for a Featherweight and think this somewhat compensates for him limited ability. His current divison is probably in the worst state it's ever been in considering the greats that have been in it the last few years such as Morales and Barrera.

Do you think he is doing this to avoid the Broner fight?

How do you think he will do at the higher weight class?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Burns to reinquish belt and move up Empty Re: Burns to reinquish belt and move up

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

Pedro am never keen to accuse a fighter of avoiding an opponent but given his promoter the timing of the decision when he appears obligated to face such a tricky opponent is going to attract cynicism.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Burns to reinquish belt and move up Empty Re: Burns to reinquish belt and move up

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:25 pm

Am never too keen to say that fighter A is avoiding / ducking fighter B for whatever reason when there's nothing more than speculation to base such a statement on. However, after Burns' consistent talk of a match up with Fana and now Broner, it does seem strange that he's all of a sudden considering a move to north of 130 lb. After serving such a long apprenticeship before moving in to the 'world class' bracket, I'd have thought he'd have wanted to take no such risk - and a risk it most certainly is, given the disparity of talent between Super-Featherweight and Lightweight.

If it's true, then I suppose we should applaud - provided he's moving up in order to put himself amongst the big names. Right now I'd prefer him to at least give us a decent defence of his title though, and Broner would have been that.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

If he's struggling to make the weight then he's doing the right thing....

He could end up doing a Curry and lose to an inferior fighter or worst case scenario ending up like Ingle....

Dangerous to come in at a weight you are no longer comfortable at..

Sure that's the case because he has a world belt and a good earner....

Give him the benefit of the doubt as he doesn't look a ducker to me.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Chris given his promoter and the lack of a fan base for Burns I would think it's pretty safe to say he has ducked Broner if this is true. He was wanting the Fana fight was still calling for it after Cook and has frequently said he has no trouble making weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:36 pm

Truss don't think for a minute Burns is, his promoter however is a different matter. Whilst I would love to give the guy the benefit of the doubt you can see why this will raise a few eyebrows. To the best of my knowledge Burns has not really made any comments about being tight at the weight, but the minute he seems obliged to face a quality operator he can't stick around.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:37 pm

He's going to say he's never had trouble making the weight isn't he..

I mean you don't want to encourage future opponents..

Truth may be different.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:39 pm

Good point Rowley..Warren fighter isn't he!!!

But what are the WBo doing promoting Broner..bet Warren had some harsh words with them when they did it..

Not doing what they are told....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

He lives the right lifestyle Truss doesn't drink eats the right food. He's ducked him Warren knows he won't beat Broner. Burns will be fed to Mitchell because he has a fan base.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:42 pm

Burns on ringside recently said that the Broner fight was very exicting for him and one he has been looking for since becoming world champion.

I for one would be extremely disappointed if he were to move up before that particular fight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

Doesn't it p**s everybody off on here off though when Warren writes in his paper another of his charges has "won" a shot at the world title and then reveals it's the WBO...........

Almost laughable his interest in that organisation..

Respect Burns prettyboy..he's a good lad........

Hope it's the weight making reason and not the protection racket.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

Depends on who he fights at Lightweight I guess. Far better competition there. As long as he takes the big fights there il be happy. Im a Burns fan so wanna see him fight the best

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

Not very fan-friendly, is it?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Doesn't it p**s everybody off on here off though when Warren writes in his paper another of his charges has "won" a shot at the world title and then reveals it's the WBO...........

Almost laughable his interest in that organisation..

Respect Burns prettyboy..he's a good lad........

Hope it's the weight making reason and not the protection racket.

Truss, it disgusts me more than you could imagine every time I read Warren talking down fighters who aren't signed with him. Every sentence the man utters is barbed and dripping bitterness. He's a toad.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

Is Marquez vacating the WBO belt as he hasn't defended it since November and he won't be any time soon with the Manny fight in November this year? Also with Guerrero injured and moving on to 140 I wouldn't be shocked to see Burns vs Alisher Rahimov for the vacant title.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

Well for a world champion he has fought 2 bums so far and I can't imagine he has made THAT much money. Burns just isn't that marketable.

If he moves up to lightweight he will get wiped out by any world champ. Mitchell and Murray would tear him a new one also. I just don't think he's that good. Alright he put on a show against Roman Martinez. But people make out like Martinez was some kind of unstoppable force.

Weak champion at a weak weight.

A move to lightweight would be a step too far imo
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:06 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Well for a world champion he has fought 2 bums so far and I can't imagine he has made THAT much money. Burns just isn't that marketable.

If he moves up to lightweight he will get wiped out by any world champ. Mitchell and Murray would tear him a new one also. I just don't think he's that good. Alright he put on a show against Roman Martinez. But people make out like Martinez was some kind of unstoppable force.

Weak champion at a weak weight.

A move to lightweight would be a step too far imo

Bit harsh in my opinion. Also I think he would hammer Murray and beat Mitchell

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Reborn is right...he is a goofd fighter but has nothing really marketable about him....

Nothing to encourage a following...

Probably right that light is a bridge too far!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

Surley a cross border clash with Kevin Mitchell would be marketable?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

This is a clear case of some SHAMEFUL ducking.

Burns needs to grow a pair and stop acting like a coward.

Disgraceful.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:This is a clear case of some SHAMEFUL ducking.

Burns needs to grow a pair and stop acting like a coward.

Disgraceful.

Suspect it's more his promoter.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

It usually is Balti...

But he doesn't have to go along with it!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It usually is Balti...

But he doesn't have to go along with it!

True, but promoters have a lot of influence, and a guy like Burns can easily find himself shut out in the cold.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Not suggesting he leave Warren but stubbornly insist he wants the fight..

My guess is this didn't happen or maybe I'm doing him an injustice.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Must admit id like him to fight Broner first. Prehaps he is really struggling with the weight though. A fight with Broner would bring in good money win, lose or drawso makes no sense for Ricky to avoid it. Either way...I dont like people calling fighters cowards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

You're right Steffy.....Coward isn't appropriate..

dirty, filthy ducker is more appropriate.. Cool

joking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're right Steffy.....Coward isn't appropriate..

joking..

Sadly though that's exactly what he'll be labelled as. I really do think if he's not choosing to avoid Broner then there must be some incentive that's been provided by Warren.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

On the contrary Truss, struggling to make the weight and thinking your above the other fighters makes you...fat and arrogant

(also joking)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're right Steffy.....Coward isn't appropriate..

joking..

Sadly though that's exactly what he'll be labelled as. I really do think if he's not choosing to avoid Broner then there must be some incentive that's been provided by Warren.

A fighter can always refuse. He has a world title so even if Warren drops him he wont be short of offers. Warren may well want to milk him, but Bruns can always say no.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:37 pm

No but as Warren is tied up with Sky and it's the TV companies that pay the money.....

It would be stupid to be dropped..

Come on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No but as Warren is tied up with Sky and it's the TV companies that pay the money.....

It would be stupid to be dropped..

Come on..

So are matchroom, Hatton and Maloney. He has the belt and could earn similar money with other promoters. Frank Warren cannot make you give up a belt.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:46 pm

SKY are the big players and Warren has influence with them and the WBO......

People get stripped and can be kept off SKY where the money is..

capiche..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:SKY are the big players and Warren has influence with them and the WBO......

capiche..

Hatton also has influence with sky. Burns has the WBO belt already and has stated he wants to fight the best so no issue with who they make as his mandatory.

Understand?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:SKY are the big players and Warren has influence with them and the WBO......

capiche..

Yup. That's about the size of it. The ease with which Warren fighters 'earn' title shots would seem to suggest he's fairly influential.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:30 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

capiche..

Yup. That's about the size of it. The ease with which Warren fighters 'earn' title shots would seem to suggest he's fairly influential.

Why would that influence matter when he already has a title?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

Going to play baseball on the wii with my lad.....

I think you're naive kid....and that's being nice.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:50 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

capiche..

Why would that influence matter when he already has a title?

It doesn't. I'm saying it's a good indication of how much power Warren wields.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Going to play baseball on the wii with my lad.....

I think you're naive kid....and that's being nice.

As you have been owned on at least 5 seperate occasions today I will take your comments with a pinch of salt.

The facts speak for themselves. Burns has the belt and has stated he wants to fight the best. Warren cannot make him give it up and he can earn the same money (and be televised on SKY) with one of the other promoters.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:22 pm

Interesting interpretation to suggest a guy has been owned on a thread that's basically an imaginary one.... open to conjecture with no correct answer..

Still nice to get an unbiased opinion...

Hope you stay on here longer this time.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

Ricky has ducked him but Frank will be behind it no doubt about that at all.

Warren knows Broner will hand it to Burns. Burns has nothing to offer in return Broner is quicker, better defence throws a wider variety of punches and gets off combinations very well and he is levels above Martinez imo.

Frank made a huge mistake with Ricky he should have took him down to England immediately. The Scottish public won't come out in decent numbers to watch him fight bums he's not Scott Harrison. When he decided to keep hm in Scotland he should have made the Martinez re match right away.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:17 pm

I can see what's going to happen here. The WBO will vacate Marquez of his belt for not defending it for over a year. Burns will fight Mitchell for the vacant title in London get beat comfortably by Mitchell then Frank will have a World champion who can sell more than a handful of tickets.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm

Steve Max a boxing reporter in the U.S said he spoke to a GBP rep and they are going ahead as if the fight is still on. It's news to them apparently.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:08 am

I think this guy Alisher Rahimov is ranked number 1 by the WBO at lightweight.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=272504&cat=boxer

Probably see him in with Burns or Mitchell as soon as Marquez vacates.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

Burns will be accused of ducking Broner if he moves up and too right, especially after him and his camp talking about the fight and then a few days after talk of getting the fight arranged to decide to move up!

It's all speculation as Golden Boy appear to be keen on the fight so hopefully the fight is made.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down