The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140

+8
aja424
wheelchair1991
Hammersmith harrier
Nico the gman
spencerclarke
rob-glos
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
12 posters

Go down

Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140 Empty Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140

Post by hazharrison Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:19 am

Di Rocco in Glasgow - looks a winnable fight for Burns.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140 Empty Re: Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:21 am

No way should Burns be able to win a belt......

Makes the sport look a joke..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140 Empty Re: Ricky Burns Going For Lucas Browne/Scott Quigg WBA belt at 140

Post by hazharrison Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:52 am

So much for the WBA cutting down their 70-odd belts.

With that many around, maybe they should start giving them out as complimentary gifts?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Tue 15 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

Broner inexplicably declared super champ.

Burns should be favourite for this and become the worst 3 weight champion in the history of the sport.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

I like Ricky Burns. But it will be farcical if he becomes a 3 times world champion this way. Not saying I wont take it though. Should sort him out money wise after his bankruptcy. Career well and truly over with another defeat though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Mar 2016, 1:02 pm

spencerclarke wrote:I like Ricky Burns.  But it will be farcical if he becomes a 3 times world champion this way.  Not saying I wont take it though.  Should sort him out money wise after his bankruptcy.  Career well and truly over with another defeat though.
Agreed it makes a mockery of guys like Carl Froch who knocked out George Groves in front of 80, 000 people at Wembley Stadium

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 1:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
spencerclarke wrote:I like Ricky Burns.  But it will be farcical if he becomes a 3 times world champion this way.  Not saying I wont take it though.  Should sort him out money wise after his bankruptcy.  Career well and truly over with another defeat though.
Agreed it makes a mockery of guys like Carl Froch who knocked out George Groves in front of 80, 000 people at Wembley Stadium

You forgot the "4-time world champion" bit.... warning

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

You forgot the "4-time world champion" bit.... warning
It hurts me to write it...along with the words "married to Rachel Cordingley"

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 15 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No way should Burns be able to win a belt......

Makes the sport look a joke..
That's the problem Truss, the sport is a joke, it appears anyone can get a world title fight now, eliminators are virtually a thing of the past.
Burns should be retired.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 15 Mar 2016, 6:02 pm

rob-glos wrote:Broner inexplicably declared super champ.

Burns should be favourite for this and become the worst 3 weight champion in the history of the sport.

Duke Mckenzie will still hold that honour.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm

Well the WBA curring down belts went well....

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:48 pm

To be fair, the amount of belt holders masquerading as world champions is a mockery to someone like Froch.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Mar 2016, 2:23 am

aja424 wrote:To be fair, the amount of belt holders masquerading as world champions is a mockery to someone like Froch.

Froch, though, was never THE super middleweight champion. Picked up a couple of paper titles but Andre Ward was the boss in that division while Froch was doing his thing.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 16 Mar 2016, 9:24 am

The thing that annoys me is that us boxing fans know its a mockery yet Sky, TV Companies, Promoters and fighters feed us the rubbish that its a world title fight, It's not ! and if Joshua wins I won't register him as a world champ. I thought we hit a point a few years ago where things couldn't get worse. In all seriousness how many world paper champions do we have now in the UK ? 13/14 ?? and how many are legitimately the no 1 in their respective division ?

Tyson Fury is that it , has Degale got half a claim ??

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:22 am

Rodney wrote:The thing that annoys me is that us boxing fans know its a mockery yet Sky, TV Companies, Promoters and fighters feed us the rubbish that its a world title fight, It's not ! and if Joshua wins I won't register him as a world champ. I thought we hit a point a few years ago where things couldn't get worse. In all seriousness how many world paper champions do we have now in the UK ? 13/14 ?? and how many are legitimately the no 1 in their respective division ?

Cheers, Rodders

Only Fury. The abundance of paper champs is testament to a boom period domestically, along with the buying power of Warren and Hearn. They can consistently position their fighters for these title bids regardless of their true world ranking.

The only genuinely world ranked fighters we have (as per TBRB ratings) are: Fury, Joshua (which probably says something about the heavyweight division), DeGale, Groves, Callum Smith, Murray (all at '68), BJS, Brook, Khan, Flanagan, Selby, Frampton, Quigg, McDonnell and Haskins.

Of that lot, only Fury, DeGale, Brook, Flanagan, Selby and Frampton are top three (and only Fury at number one).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm

I have Degale as my personal number one SMW, not having Abraham ahead of him, Degale takes him to town, buys him a nice dinner, greases him up and...

Abraham may as well defend his belt against Stieglitz for the 75th time. Bute and Dirrell is better than Stieglitz and Murray.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:22 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I have Degale as my personal number one SMW, not having Abraham ahead of him, Degale takes him to town, buys him a nice dinner, greases him up and...

Abraham may as well defend his belt against Stieglitz for the 75th time. Bute and Dirrell is better than Stieglitz and Murray.

Ramirez should end Abraham's paper reign next month. That would be a big fight for DeGale in the U.S.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

Absolutely, highly rated is Ramirez, they've really taken there time with him, could have fought for a world title about two years back but apparently they wanted to try and make him the finished article for when he's fighting for world titles.

I like the Showtime mini tournament they've set out, winner of Jack/Bute and Degale/Medina to meet and unify. If Degale wins both fights he surely has to be placed as number one by everyone, then a potential fight with Ramirez could be huge.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 1:57 pm

Joins Duke McKenzie and Adrien Broner as one of the most pathetic and awful examples of a 'triple weight' world champ.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Mar 2016, 2:29 pm

Rodney wrote:The thing that annoys me is that us boxing fans know its a mockery yet Sky, TV Companies, Promoters and fighters feed us the rubbish that its a world title fight, It's not ! and if Joshua wins I won't register him as a world champ. I thought we hit a point a few years ago where things couldn't get worse. In all seriousness how many world paper champions do we have now in the UK ? 13/14 ?? and how many are legitimately the no 1 in their respective division ?

Cheers, Rodders

Can't really blame SKY for trying to sell its fights Rod...

If they said it was meaningless crud people wouldn't tune in.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Wed 16 Mar 2016, 3:20 pm

When I first read the title I though Ricky Burns had lost his mind and had decided on a jump to heavyweight to fight Browne...  mo2

Can't blame him for taking any opportunity like this that comes his way given his financial predicament and hopefully the win sets him up for some decentish paydays - always liked burns and like to see him do well. Still wouldn't be seen as THE world champion at his weight but would increase his marketability for a few fights until the next inevitable loss.

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down