The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest Upset of 2011 So Far?

+7
88Chris05
Scottrf
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Union Cane
captain carrantuohil
Michaels, Sean
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Biggest Upset of 2011 So Far? Empty Biggest Upset of 2011 So Far?

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

My personal choice is Ishida tko'ing Kirkland in the first round of their fight.

Prior to the fight Ishida had only had 22 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws and with only 7 T/KO's to his name not seen as a threat to Kirkland who at the time was 25 wins, 0 losses and 22 T/KO's.

Simply seen as another fight for Kirkland to get the win and add to his hype was remarkably dropped 3 times in the 1st round by Ishida.

Other worthy mentions are:

Rubio TKO Lemeiux
Salido TKO Juanma
Molina UD Cintron
Arce TKO Vasquez Jr

What's your pick so far?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Biggest Upset of 2011 So Far? Empty Re: Biggest Upset of 2011 So Far?

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

(While not strictly an upset) I think Haye's performance against Wlad has to be the biggest upset of the year for me.

That aside I certainly wasn't expecting Groves to 'do' De Gale.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

Salido's win over Lopez was one of the biggest shocks for many a year, I'd have to agree.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

How about Monte Barrett getting a unanimous decision over David Tua in New Zealand?

Nobody in the prediction league saw that one coming.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Ishida beating Kirkland imo.

Juanma was an accident waiting to happen and Salido is no mug.

Arce had wrongfully been deemed as a guy who was past it. Vasquez Jr is pretty inexperienced as a fighter he had no amateur experience and didn't start boxing until he was something like 20.

As for Cintron he was finished when he dived out the ring to avoid fighting Williams.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

I agree with PBK about Juanma-Salido. Salido is a good boxer and Lopez fights with his face a bit much. Also Arce and Cintron.

Kirkland was just out of prison, hadn't done much before or since. The manner of defeat makes it more surprising.

Not sure if any stand out.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Ishida-Kirkland for me, followed by Salido-Lopez. There was always a feeling that Lopez could come undone at any stage, and while nobody really expected it to be against Salido, I'd wager that not a single person in boxing thought that Ishida would upset Kirkland, even if it was a Kirkland feeling his way back in to boxing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

88Chris05 wrote:There was always a feeling that Lopez could come undone at any stage, and while nobody really expected it to be against Salido.
Not sure. Not saying I did, but Salido pushed Gamboa, especially in the middle rounds, not many can say that.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

That's true Scott, but as I said I doubt more than a very small handful of people put their money where their mouth was and fully backed Salido to win.

Ishida-Kirkland, though...Well, I doubt anyone apart from a pis*ed-as-a-newt Vegas punter who was feeling lucky saw that one coming!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

Sitting through Manny/Mosley?

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Ishida beating Kirkland imo.

Juanma was an accident waiting to happen and Salido is no mug.

Arce had wrongfully been deemed as a guy who was past it. Vasquez Jr is pretty inexperienced as a fighter he had no amateur experience and didn't start boxing until he was something like 20.

As for Cintron he was finished when he dived out the ring to avoid fighting Williams.

Agree with your reasons, although Salido was like you say no mug, he wasn't expected to win, especially with Top Rank moving things to set up the mega fight with Gamboa. Arum must still be fuming LOL!

I knew about Arce before the fight but I did think he wouldn't have enough for Vasquez at their respective times of their careers. Glad I was wrong as it saved the Pac/Mosley card!

As for Cintron this was a fighter fed to him to get his confidence back and start his rise again....it didn't quite go to plan but couldn't care less due to his fights against Martinez and Williams.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:That's true Scott, but as I said I doubt more than a very small handful of people put their money where their mouth was and fully backed Salido to win.

Ishida-Kirkland, though...Well, I doubt anyone apart from a pis*ed-as-a-newt Vegas punter who was feeling lucky saw that one coming!
True. Maybe I'm looking for too much of a shock, like an established fighter losing to a relative unknown.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Ishida beating Kirkland for me aswell, Ishida isn't a big puncher but slapped Kirkland about the ring, that's what happens when you think you can come in with no defense or game plan and try and blast everyone out of there. Ishida was well up for the fight from the get go and looked really sharp, unfortunately his big upset led to no decent opportunity's.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

Ishida Kirkland was definitely my favourite, always great to see a Yank 'next Tyson' hype job get slapped. And given Ishida was a feather-fisted supposed lamb to the slaughter to help continue Kirklands ridiculous 'fight every month' campaign when he got out of prison (another reason to enjoy the upset) it really was a massive upset.

Would otherwise be tempted to say Arce, but maybe that's reflective of my lack of knowledge or Vasquez's actual quality. Greatest single picture from any upset this year still has to be DeGale's face about 3 seconds after "...and the NEW..."!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

Ishida - Kirkland is one I would have to go for. Made me mates watch it the next day and they were saying what happens does Kirkland murder him? Very funny what ensued.

Lopez - Salido has to be up there aswell.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Union Cane wrote:How about Monte Barrett getting a unanimous decision over David Tua in New Zealand?

Nobody in the prediction league saw that one coming.

I did see that coming which is why I picked the fight to go the distance unlike most others picked Tua by knock out...Considering the fight was in New Zealand I thought Barrett would get robbed not much of a upset anyway since Barrett got robbed in their first fight.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down