The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster V Dragons

+19
Impossible Standards
Jenifer McLadyboy
glamorganalun
Feckless Rogue
valjester
Standulstermen
Shifty
GavinDragon
DRAGONONPARADE
Mickado
the-goon
bedfordwelsh
rhino-dragon
Taffineastbourne
manofgwent
RuckingFlanker86
Gibson
red_stag
greybeard
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leinster V Dragons Empty Leinster V Dragons

Post by greybeard Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

Right, the teams haven't been announced yet but we might as well get started.

So, how are the respective camps feeling about this? The eternal optimist in me can't see us being awful two games in a row (and I mean awful!) and with any luck some home truths have been said and, more importantly, taken on board by all and sundry.

As far as changes are concerned I'd like to see us stick with the same XV that started and let them work together. If you're going to drop anyone after last week you might as well drop them all.

Dragons were oh-so-close to a LBP in Cork, that's got to gnaw at them. They will feel that this is the perfect time to play us, especially after last week. Should they be confident or will they end up feeling the backlash?

Referee: Andy Macpherson (SRU, 37th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Michael Black, Richard Kerr (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Tom McCormack (IFRU)
TMO: Tony Redmond (IRFU)

Last edited by greybeard on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Leinster V Dragons Empty Re: Leinster V Dragons

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

Dragons were really all that good in Cork to be honest. Munster had three yellow cards and still they never really looked like really doing anything barring a few kicks at goal.

Where is the game on? That will have a massive bearing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

RDS, but of course, home team listed first Wink

True what you say about the Dragons not captialising on the yellow cards. I think we'll win reasonably well, but wouldn't feel the same if we were playing away from home.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

Exactly in Newport I'd back the Dragons to take you without your internationals.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

I just hope we get a committed performance and hopefully - a win. Specially at the RDS. But beware the Dragons. They have enough to do us if we are not totally focused and up for it.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/play/media/id/9162

"Jamie Hagan was fairly lucid - as Props go "(after a bang on the head) Laugh

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

I'm expecting a backlash from the O's match, but at least hoping we give you a good game and pick up a losing BP. Very tough start to the season for us missing five players, not as many as other teams but those particular five make a huge difference to us.

Will be interesting to see the starting Dragons backs with Smith injured, they might play Jamie Smith on the wing and move Adam Hughes to 13. Can guess the forwards pretty much, hoping Lewis Evans starts at 8 he should make a difference.

My first trip to the RDS and very excited, flying out 8am from Bristol in time to catch the opening WC game hopefully!

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:06 pm

RuckingFlanker86 wrote:I'm expecting a backlash from the O's match, but at least hoping we give you a good game and pick up a losing BP. Very tough start to the season for us missing five players, not as many as other teams but those particular five make a huge difference to us.

Will be interesting to see the starting Dragons backs with Smith injured, they might play Jamie Smith on the wing and move Adam Hughes to 13. Can guess the forwards pretty much, hoping Lewis Evans starts at 8 he should make a difference.

My first trip to the RDS and very excited, flying out 8am from Bristol in time to catch the opening WC game hopefully!

Man, Rucking, I hope you have a ball. I just love fans who travel and support their team. Have a blast in old Dubh Linn, mo chara. OK guinness

Do ya need a few pointers? Pubs, clubs, eats... yada yada? Or have you been before?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

Never been before but I started a thread asking where to go etc and had a few replies, if you can add to what has already been said then much appreciated.

Out friday morning, back saturday night. Going to have to be careful not to start drinking with the Argie - England game and end up missing our flight home. Have done that before.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:17 pm

Ha! Yeah, been there. Ended up staying for another day or two. On a few occasions. But, I have relos and good mates there soo...
I'll suss out the thread and add me tuppence worth. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

Sorry should have linked my thread, didn't think.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

I'd take a losing bonus. I don't know what it is about us dragons. We just look a completely different team on the road. I know save is a bit of a fortress, but we'll never challenge for the play offs if we don't get our away form right.
I was hoping that we'd have signed a bit more experience, but not so. The blues still have rush, Tito, molitika, m. Williams, Rees etc. The i's have JT, gough, Parker, fussell, Ian evans, Duncan jones etc. Losing king and Lyons will hurt the scarlets even more so during this period. I know we still have willis, Sid and Gav Thomas, but we're a really young team that are in need of a couple of quality seasoned pros to help guide our kids through these sorts of games.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

manofgwent wrote:I'd take a losing bonus. I don't know what it is about us dragons. We just look a completely different team on the road. I know save is a bit of a fortress, but we'll never challenge for the play offs if we don't get our away form right.
I was hoping that we'd have signed a bit more experience, but not so. The blues still have rush, Tito, molitika, m. Williams, Rees etc. The i's have JT, gough, Parker, fussell, Ian evans, Duncan jones etc. Losing king and Lyons will hurt the scarlets even more so during this period. I know we still have willis, Sid and Gav Thomas, but we're a really young team that are in need of a couple of quality seasoned pros to help guide our kids through these sorts of games.

Yeah Gwent. Understand. We have Nacewa and... errm.

WHERE'S everyone gone FFS? Is there a gig on or wot?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

manofgwent wrote:I'd take a losing bonus. I don't know what it is about us dragons. We just look a completely different team on the road. I know save is a bit of a fortress, but we'll never challenge for the play offs if we don't get our away form right.
Spot on!We are missing Bearman and Fussell right now-we need them more than the O's.Such is life.Looking to the future,this experience should be character-building for the youngsters!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

Bear who?

Good servant as he was he has barely played since 3rd October 2009. O's took a gamble and so far it looks as if it hasn't paid off as he is injured again. would be pointless paying him to be on the injury list still as the Dragons don't have the money to waste that the O's do.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:26 pm

rhino-dragon wrote:Bear who?

Good servant as he was he has barely played since 3rd October 2009. O's took a gamble and so far it looks as if it hasn't paid off as he is injured again. would be pointless paying him to be on the injury list still as the Dragons don't have the money to waste that the O's do.
Thought he was in their side for this weekend?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

"Bearman"... sounds like a cuddly superhero.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm

Rhino. Agree. Loved bearman. Even got one of his shirts, but we have faletau, Lewis evans and brown. I hope bearman all the best, but it did seem like a strange signing for the o's. He's barely been fit for 2 years. He's 33 and even though he's been such a great servant. Most dragons fans thought it was time to look to the next generation. Saying that. I hope he can show what he's capable of. I mean he's twice the player Powell or johnathon anonymous will ever be and a top bloke too!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

Gibbo you've still got your Heino winning back 3: Fitz, Nacewa, Shaggy
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:08 am

Good to see Lewis Evans back in squad but thats countered by Smith picking up another injury.

I really feel we operate so much better when he is in the centre but he is becomming bit injury prone now.

Any news on Tuilagi have we signed him?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

red_stag wrote:Gibbo you've still got your Heino winning back 3: Fitz, Nacewa, Shaggy

Or as they're also know as "Formless, God and injured" Sad

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

Leinster team to face the Dragons...
The Leinster team to face the Dragons in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO 12 clash in the RDS (KO: 7.35pm) has been named...
Isa Nacewa continues in the back three alongside Fionn Carr and David Kearney for the visit of the Welsh side. Cillian Willis partners Ian Madigan at half-back with Brendan Macken starting at centre alongside Eoin O'Malley in the absence of Luke Fitzgerald.

The pack is unchanged with Ireland international Rhys Ruddock again leading the side and he continues his back-row partnership with Kevin McLaughlin and Dominic Ryan. Devin Toner locks down with Damian Browne with Heinke van der Merwe continuing in the front row alongside Richardt Strauss and Jamie Hagan.

A decision on the final place on the replacements bench will be made closer to kick off.

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: Fionn Carr
13: Brendan Macken
12: Eoin O'Malley
11: David Kearney
10: Ian Madigan
9: Cillian Willis

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Jamie Hagan
4: Damian Browne
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Dominic Ryan
8: Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Jack McGrath
18: Jack O'Connell / Nathan White
19: Mark Flanagan
20: Leo Auva'a
21: John Cooney
22: Mat Berquist
23: Darren Hudson

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

Delighted we are starting Madigan. Needs all the game time he can get. Have major hopes for Macken (19) to replace BOD. O Malley was brilliant last year when given the chance.

Strong pack. It didnt perform last week. Specially that backrow - which was eaten at the breakdown. Must get a perfomance this week.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

Big hopes for that backline.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Dragons Team

15. Martyn Thomas, 14. Adam Hughes, 13. Tom Riley, 12. Pat Leach, 11. Mike Poole, 10. Jason Tovey, 9. Joe Bedford, 1. Phil Price, 2. Tom Willis, 3. Ben Castle, 4. Adam Jones, 5. Rob Sidoli, 6. Andrew Coombs, 7. Gavin Thomas, 8. Hugo Ellis

Replacements
16. Rhys Buckley, 17. Nathan Williams, 18. Dan Way, 19. Lewis Evans, 20. Jevon Groves, 21. Wayne Evans, 22. Steffan Jones, 23. Jamie Smith

Is Jamie Smith the former Ulster player?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

Yes he is

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

Lets hope Thomas can have an injury free season for us this year, whose covering 10 on the bench for us?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:31 pm

steffan jones, would have preferred hughes at 13

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

double

Last edited by RuckingFlanker86 on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:02 pm

Would have started Smith on the wing and moved Hughes to 13, maybe Edwards is giving Riley one more chance. I do like Riley but he does need a kick up the bum at the moment.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:38 pm

RuckingFlanker86 wrote:Would have started Smith on the wing and moved Hughes to 13, maybe Edwards is giving Riley one more chance. I do like Riley but he does need a kick up the bum at the moment.

That certainly would have been my preference. Would rather have Lewis Evans in there somewhere over Hugo too.

It's funny really. I remember Tovey saying last year that we wouldn't have a better opportunity to win in Dublin (of course we didn't) and yet the Leinster team tomorrow is probably worse. Bet we still won't win, but an LBP would be alright given our away day blues.

Wasnt it McPherson (the ref) who gave that questionable penalty try in the Dragons v Leinster game last season? steam

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

I'm guessing Evans will be back to starting at 8 when he's fully over his injury, next week at home maybe.

Pretty sure it was McPherson, my does sink every time I see we have a Scot ref especially away from Dave.

A losing BP would be OK for me, aim for bonus point win against Aironi next week and we never wind at Connaught so maybe a losing BP there aswell. I'd take 7 points from out first 4 games when it includes 3 away trips to Ireland. Would I? No I think I would.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

I think I would. I had pretty much given up on 3/4 games when I saw our start. We have a dreadful record in Ireland. 2 points and a BP win over Aironi wouldn't be the worst thing and it would be an improvement on last season. Plus then three of our most difficult trips are out of the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:07 am

Must be the oldest team we've put out in three years.I'm going for the Dragons by 8 c'mon you dragonssss

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:08 am

losing bonus point would suit me....and no more injuries

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/default.stm

Links here.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

Mixed bag so far, Carr and Kearney have both have had a couple of excellent runs, Willis looks lively, Strauss putting in some bone-rattlers. But the Dragons are absorbing it and it's an even game.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:18 pm

Not impressed with Ruddock at all at the minute. I had expected (and still do) big things from this guy but he looks quite underpowered

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:22 pm

Toner is pretty appalling once again. Strauss needs to sort out his throwing. If the dragons want to win this they'll have to stop kicking away so much ball, really poor match so far.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:26 pm

Carr and Nacewa the only bright spots for Leinster imo. They lost all momentum after Nacewa missed the 2nd penalty. Dragons are right in this

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:27 pm

I think the team still most likely to win is Leinster, but you do feel if the Dragons can break away and score (which their capable of doing), then the Dragons might sneak it.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Carr and Nacewa the only bright spots for Leinster imo. They lost all momentum after Nacewa missed the 2nd penalty. Dragons are right in this

Well listening to George Hook on rte, madigan and willis are playing superbly neither of them have made a mistake yet, the backrow are doing the basics well and the lineout is rock solid. I think I must be watching a different leinster team to him.

Alyn; they'll have to stop kicking the ball and taking quick taps or leinster will walk away with it after a couple of tries.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

I take solace in that Val. There is a massive lack of physicality though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I take solace in that Val. There is a massive lack of physicality though

Which is disappointing from an Irish point of view. That leinster backrow should be doing much better than they are. Strauss is doing well in the loose but not very reliable from touch and apparently varley is much the same against glasgow. Hopefully sherry can push on for munster and make an impact because when he was on last week he looked excellent both from touch and in play. We need a few decent hookers coming through because best and flannery are exactly young.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

Macken try after an appalling few minutes of aerial ping pong. Nice in the build up by carr and good finish by macken. Rte commentary is terrible as usual.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

valjester wrote:Macken try after an appalling few minutes of aerial ping pong. Nice in the build up by carr and good finish by macken. Rte commentary is terrible as usual.

And now a second try, great break by madigan but god the dragons are hopeless.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

It looked like it was coming... 2 quick tries from Leinster.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Dragons have been terrible, in the two games I've watched, going forward. They just don't have a clue what to do and kick too much ball away.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:51 pm

valjester wrote:Dragons have been terrible, in the two games I've watched, going forward. They just don't have a clue what to do and kick too much ball away.

And now they manage one from a quick penalty and good running.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

Cooney is hopeless, hasnt improved since u20s.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:23 pm

Good margin in the end but without individual brilliance from a couple of backs (Carr was immense) they would have been in trouble. THe pack needs a boot up the ass

Should add that the attendance figures were 14500 odd. That is brilliant

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next