The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Won't Play

+9
Comfort
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
Mr Bounce
red_stag
robbo277
rodders
bedfordwelsh
13 posters

Go down

Who Won't Play Empty Who Won't Play

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 am

OK so we have all had a go at picking our teams for the opening round and what we all think our best side is.

But out of your squad is there anyone that you think won't get any gametime unless injury kicks in or will only have limited time on the field.

For me, even as a Dragons fan I can't see Brew figuring much, maybe off the bench against Namibia but not much more. Hope I am proved wrong as think he really has lot to offer and his work rate is huge.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Who Won't Play Empty Re: Who Won't Play

Post by rodders Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 am

I'd say for Ireland Geordan Murphy, Paddy Wallace, Fergus McFadden, Leo Cullen, Isaac Boss, Sean Cronin and Shane Jennings are all unlikely to see much action unless there are injuries.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

Wilson and Shaw I think were luxuries we don't really need in the squad, the 5th prop and the 4th lock are not really needed (especially as Moody is injured and we could do with the flanker cover). I don't expect them or Mears or Simpson to feature much (although a third hooker and scrum-half is a necessity in the squad).

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

Most of the England squad seem to get lots of injuries so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone plays. Though lower down the list are likely to be Hape, Simpson, Wilson and Mears.

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

I think Ireland will play their whole squad. Cronin is probably least likely to see game time.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

I can see Brew starting against Namibia, but not against anyone else. I reckon Gatland doesn't quite trust him, and you can understand why - he does make silly mistakes, even if he usually makes up for them. At international level you won't necessarily get the chance to make up for a mistake.

I can see Ryan Bevington watching plenty of rugby but not playing any.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 am

red_stag wrote:I think Ireland will play their whole squad. Cronin is probably least likely to see game time.

I was thinking about this stag but I can't see this happening. The warm-ups have shown that we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes against good sides. We'll need to put a strong side to get off to a good start against the USA and our best sides against Australia and Italy which only leaves the Russia game to rotate but we can't afford to take that game lightly either.

A lot of guys will see very little gametime and some won't play at all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:23 am

Rodders I expect that we'll see full or near full strenght against USA, Australia and Italy. I expect us to send out a team against Russia that would be something like this:

Court, Flannery, Buckley
Ryan, Cullen
Leamy, O'Brien, Jennings
Boss, O'Gara
Wallace, McFadden
Earls, Murphy, Bowe
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 am

I'd say for Ireland Geordan Murphy

Will be an error not to include him on the bench. Great player to be able to bring on and steady the ship or add a spark depending on what is needed. Experience and leadership in bucket loads with a cool head and complete committment. Ireland's worst decision in the last RWC was not to utilise him when they were struggling to create anything vs Georgia and Namibia.

I really feel for Marcos Ayerza, a great loosehead most countries would love to be able to select (all the home nations would find room) but because Roncero is such a legend for Argentina and the coaches place so much emphasis on the scrum (not that, that is a weakness for Ayerza) he seems to spend a lot of time in the stands.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:25 am

Sadly Mr Bounce, i think Hape is most likely to get quite a bit of game time. Tindall seems to have been earmarked for 12 after 1 game...but we only really have 1 actual 12 which is hape.

I think Johno will actually try to give everyone a run out....mostly against the weaker teams in the group, to keep everyone as match fit as possible.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I can see Brew starting against Namibia, but not against anyone else. I reckon Gatland doesn't quite trust him, and you can understand why - he does make silly mistakes, even if he usually makes up for them. At international level you won't necessarily get the chance to make up for a mistake.

I can see Ryan Bevington watching plenty of rugby but not playing any.

lp,

With Jenkins likely to be out until the quarters I reckon Bevington will be on the bench for most of the games, so it delends on A Jones' fitness with maybe Ryan coming on and james switching to tight.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 am

Maybe your right Stag. How we use the squad will be key.

If we rotate too much we risk not qualifying but if we don't rotate enough then our players will be shot come the QF like in 2003, should we get that far(touch wood Leprechaun ).

I'm not sure I'd risk O'Brien v Russia as we need him firing on all cylinders against the "top" teams.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 am

We have to play at least one of O'Brien, Heaslip or Ferris
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 am

Not if we play Ryan at 6, Leamy at 8 and Jennings at 7.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:34 am

Stephen Jones for Wales.

Hook/Priestland are playing well, wales are winning game and the backlines working, Not all of these problems were due to Stephen Jones of course, but his injury/lack of gametime/apalling win/loss record for wales means I dont think we'll see him that much in the world cup.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 am

I think Moody will be watching a lot of the RWC and I hope to God Andy Powell gets a box seat. I see Brew figuring well for Wales. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 am

For England, I think we'll see little if anything of Wilson and Mears.
I think Simpson might get some time at least off the bench in the two softer pool games (he should do well with his pace agaisnt the Romanians and Georgians), and I can see a rotation policy for much of the rest of the team for those games, so the likes of Hape and Bananaman will start at least once each.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:37 am

I hope Brew gets a good run and comfort I can see your point about S Jones.

I guess he could be seen as our biggest 'casualty' not to get much game time
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 am

i think SJ will feature in one of the PI games, thats a game were we need to be clever and not panic and try too hard, i would personally have him on the bench as he can come on and calm the situation down putting in clever kicks and pinning the PI in their own half for the last 30 mins

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:39 am

Parks won't start many of our games but he will close them down at the end, certainly Jackson gets ours backs going better and is more sound defensively. I would say the same applies to Rory Lamont unfortunately as, as much as Mossy is a hero and solid, Lamonts pace and strength bring us something more. Other than that AR will use the whole squad in the qualifiers.

Comfort
Reference to Stephen Jones agree with you on his injury and lack of games but if you think that Gatland will look at the skewed "appalling" played/win rato then you are in cloud cuckoo, ................. I would say he would first look at why when he benched Jones in the past he has had to bring him on to retrieve otherwise losing games. Thats going to be Gats biggest concern
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down