The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tri nations

+3
emack2
Taylorman
wales606
7 posters

Go down

Tri nations Empty Tri nations

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:13 pm

altogough my user name suggests that i only like cricket, i watch and play most sports...

but when it comes to the tri nations i dont know much..

i heard that argentina are apparently joining the tri nations soon...when is that happening, and what do people think about that?

Back to top Go down

Tri nations Empty Re: Tri nations

Post by wales606 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:15 pm

Next year

They will get stuffed for a few years.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:23 pm

Yes. 2012. It was a move based on their semi final effort from 2007.
Trouble is they dont appear to have kicked on from there since and i think initially they will struggle big time.
I would have at least expected some big name players to have sought superxv contracts by now to familarise with the level, grounds, travel- which is extensive.
In the toughest competition to win in all of rugby, tbey will come a sad last and may take a while to even win a match, such is the competition.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

what are the logistics like for away legs?Super XV places few outside ANZAC sides play in there.The Aussie multi- racial team apart[not racist easiest way to put it].
It would be difficult to absorb a full squad say about 45 in S15 teams,without upsetting indiginous talent.
Since most players will be NH based presumeably,things like player release
could be a problem.
Lets just wait and see,any thing has to be better NZ v Oz 4 times a year.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Argentina had a great bunch of players that all hit their peak around the same time, but unfortunately I think this was a bit of a glory period culminating in the 2007 semi final. Full credit to them though. You had players like Ledesma, Roncero, Pichot, the Lobbe boys, Contemponi, Albacete, Hernandez, Corleto at fullback. However, maybe because of the lack of a pro league structure, these great players have no noticeable replacements coming through. There are replacements, obviously, but no big stars ready to take the place of the 2007 boys as they get to the twighlight of their careers. However, as a big steak eating nation they'll still front up and give teams a good forward battle for the foreseeable future!

Entry to the S15 will either make or break Argentinian rugby. I'm assuming they have a trial period in the S15? If so, they may get a few years of beatings and this may result in their licence not being renewed. Or, it could inspire the Argentine rugby union to invest in a league structure, bring the overseas players home, and bring on the next generation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

They don't have entry to the sxv, they've'skipped' that level and have direct entry to the 3N (to be 4N)

The 3N collects the best of the sxv and is played immediately afterwards so unless the full argie squad is playing in the sxv (or at the same level- not that there is one) they will be SEVERELY underdone for the 4N. I mean Scotland travelled to Argie and beat them 2-0 a year or 2 ago...!

How will Argie go in tests at Suncorp, Eden Park and Johannesburg all in a matter of 3-4 weeks....Craaaaazy.

With everyone's focus on the World cup this mismatching seems to have been overlooked.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

Argentina will only get better from guaranteed regular games against the top teams in world rugby .now if a few of their players jumped ship and joined super rugby clubs then the Puma's will be on the right track at least until they can sort out their own leagues.

they have the potential to be great , its just a matter of opportunity
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm

They'll be conceding 40-60 points away from home. I can see them causing Australia an upset though at home. I also believe it will improve the big 3 as teams because they now have to travel further, adjust to another different time zone and play in a different but hostile environment.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:03 am

Well the travel factor will definitely make the competition harder.
Sure makes the travel for "away" games in the 6 nations look a bit of a doodle.
If Japan joined the 6 Nations then the travel would be similar.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:56 am

*I said S15 but meant 4N! Do Argentina have a trial period in the 4N? Like 3 years, but if it doesn't work out then they're out? Or are they in for ever?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 09 Sep 2011, 5:39 am

Oh i see. Dont know.
Not sure if regular thrashings will help their rugby either.
Entry to the 4N 4 years ago had to have been followed through with some significant planning. Part of which sxv contracts this year should have been chased. I know only the rebels were taking externals but i wouldnt be surprised if they pull out or delay. Or are even replaced. Samoa could fill it and target players here through their birth or lineage.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:06 am

Its no different to Italy joining the 6 nations. A decade later they still struggle to pick up more than the occassional positive result against underperforming sides.
For the Tri nations sides it will give them a chance to experiment with younger players and line ups, the negative will be even more travel. Im not sure how player release will work for the Pumas, surely some of teh games are outside the IRB window so NH based players may be wanted by their clubs. Obvisouly the idea is to help support a proper professional league devleoping in Argentina but it would be a long time before that would be able to stop the best players leaking to Europe for better pay ...even of that meant international exile. If players arte willing to give up and all blacks jersey for a few Euros and a slice of garlic bread then I cant imagine an Argentinian staying home.

More games and more time playing together could help grow the side into a team though. Its jsut a pity they decleined so much from their position a few years ago. Imagine if France and England had broken away and joined the Tri Nations as was joked 8 years ago, what an embaressment that would have been for them.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down