The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok selections.

+4
fa0019
offload
Bullsbok
Biltong
8 posters

Go down

Springbok selections. Empty Springbok selections.

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Who should be replaced in the Springbok team.

Although the springboks didn’t have their best game and just managed to beat a very good young welsh side, there were some players that has proved to be looking poor, and I can’t see them gain any form in the near future.

John Smit
Pierre Spies
Fourie du Preez
Butch James
Bryan Habana

John Smit is just not physical enough, as soon as Bismarck du Plessis came on there was an immediate improvement of physicality at the breakdown and also driving the ball forward.

Pierre Spies was plastered all over the field today, he still hasn’t learnt the ability to use a low body angle when driving the ball forward, he is far too upright and allows defenders to just drive in under his rib cage, Willem Alberts should be the go to man.

Fourie du Preez once again have been poor, he has not regained any form resembling his world class performances of 2009. I fear his injury has broken him.

What is Butch James doing in the squad, useless rather put Juan du Jongh in to replace Jean de Villiers if his injury is too bad.

Did nothing while he was on, Francois Hougaard has shown what an enthusiastic player can do.

Injuries.

It seems victor Matfield’s hamstring is not going to let up, so I would think that Johann Muller and Danie rossouw will be the two locks for the rest of the tournament.

Not sure about Jean de Villiers, but most likely Juan de Jongh should replace him, otherwise I would love to see Patrick Lambie.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok selections. Empty Re: Springbok selections.

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

Fourie Du Preez will get better and i'd rather him than anyone else

6.Brussow
7.Schalk
8.Alberts
9.Fdp
10.Butch ( against the fijians and samoans )
11.hougaard
12.Lambie
13.Fourie
14.Aplon
15.Steyn

Juan de jongh at 12 if lambie shifts to 10 .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

Not a chance I'll change Pietersen for aplon, no way no how, not unless he is on crutches.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Bullsbok, when is du Preez going to get better?

After we ahve been knocked out of the world cup?

Mate that is your blue Blood speaking.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

BB

Who would you prefer Hougaard?? his kicking game is well below par and he plays better alternating with FDP . And i'd much rather have a dodgy Du Preez than the shocking player that Ruan pienaar has turned into . And fourie despite his many mistakes can still make things happen as he proved today to manuever Hougaard into position
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

Biltong, I don't know your squad well enough to suggest your best team but what was clear to me today was that your best 15 did not start. SA was much better when the bench were used. Matfield, Smit and Spies were not at the races. If we had a bit more composure and patience today, SA would have registered a L.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

Special mention must go to Schalk burger for coming off a 3!!! month break with no gametime whatsoever to putting in 27 tackles in an industrious 80min. Welcome back Schalla
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

A bit difficult for Habana & Pietersen as they never got any front foot ball and only were used on Garry Owen chasers. Hougaard however was biting a the chomp to get his chance and not only did he take it he turned the game back to SA.... in tournaments you have to go with player on form rather than hope others hit it... he deserves his chance to start.

Aplon should be given his chance also but against Fiji or Samoa I'm not so sure.... Aplon vs. Tuilagi.. that wouldn't be a nice collision for SA.

Bismaarck, Steenkamp & Alberts should be starting... they have been the form players in their position upto now and it showed when they came on.

If JDV can't play I'd throw Frans in there.... he plays the position in France so its not like he will be a bit rusty.

The only problem is leadership.

If Matfield is injured then PDV will not not pick Smit as there will be a leadership gulf if he were to be on the sidelines as well.

Is it too sudden to pick Du Preez or Burger as on-field captain?

My side at the moment would be (if Mat & JDV can't play)

Forwards

Steenkamp, Bismaarck, Jannie, Muller, Russouw (without Victor only decent lineout jumper SA have), Burger, Brussow & Alberts.

Du Preez (OF Capt), Steyn, Hougaard, Steyn, Fioure, Aplon & Lambie.

Perhaps its too much of a change but Smit was pretty poor but as per his '11 form, consistent... he lost possession a couple of times and his tackling wasn't up to standard... he just costs the team points and I'm not sure his leadership brigns back more than he loses.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Apparently it was Fourie Du Preez not Schalk burger who was on field captain in the absence of the captain and his two vices. Either way both have leadership experience , i'd pick Schalk burger as captain personally.With guys like Jaque Fourie ,Johan Muller in the sqaud leadership really shouldnbt be a problem
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Hard for me to offer anything constructive as the missus, despite being forewarned, insisted on trying to engage me in conversation during the game (that, and I was watching a stream that showed not much more than blurred rectangles moving across the screen) but the boks seemed to lack their trademark physicality. They really seemed to miss a Bakkie's type bruiser/niggler. Wales controlled the ball well for periods and the boks will need more from Brussow in the turnover department along with more impact from the pack to put the opposition under more pressure at the breakdown.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

Full Credit wrote:Hard for me to offer anything constructive as the missus, despite being forewarned, insisted on trying to engage me in conversation during the game (that, and I was watching a stream that showed not much more than blurred rectangles moving across the screen) but the boks seemed to lack their trademark physicality. They really seemed to miss a Bakkie's type bruiser/niggler. Wales controlled the ball well for periods and the boks will need more from Brussow in the turnover department along with more impact from the pack to put the opposition under more pressure at the breakdown.

I was in quite a murderous mood for most of that game and probably said a few things i'm sure im going to regret in the upcoming lonely nights Sad
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Full Credit wrote:Hard for me to offer anything constructive as the missus, despite being forewarned, insisted on trying to engage me in conversation during the game (that, and I was watching a stream that showed not much more than blurred rectangles moving across the screen) but the boks seemed to lack their trademark physicality. They really seemed to miss a Bakkie's type bruiser/niggler. Wales controlled the ball well for periods and the boks will need more from Brussow in the turnover department along with more impact from the pack to put the opposition under more pressure at the breakdown.

I was in quite a murderous mood for most of that game and probably said a few things i'm sure im going to regret in the upcoming lonely nights Sad
Surely whatever's said during the game stays during the game.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

Full Credit wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Surely whatever's said during the game stays during the game.

Hope the missus see's it the way you do Whistle
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

I think we're all entitled to a bit of leeway during these very tense weeks. I've so informed the woman that the only words I want to hear out of her during a game is the offer of another beer...... she's moving out tomorrow.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

During the game I yelled so loud when we scored, my 7 year old daughter got scared and ran out crying. I'm in big trouble with Mrs Offload. Rolling Eyes
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Biltong, can I ask what the current perception of Ruan Pienaar is in SA? I've had the pleasure (and heartbreak!) of watching him in the Magners League and he has been perhaps THE best player in the league. He has won a number of games for ulster almost singlehandedly. Now, maybe this is just an example of the gulf in class between the S15/Tri Nations and Celtic rugby, where someone not rated in SA can be awesome in a 'lower' league like ours, but he just looks class to me! Would love to have him at the Dragons. Could he feature much at this world cup?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Griff the problem is he firstly has had very little oppotunity to show whether he is in any good form or not, what he has done the little we have seen him was not brilliant either.

It also seems to me at least, that he is almost an outsider and Ruan is a confidence player, and not high on confidence at the moment.

Maybe he gets a game in one of the pool matches, because Fourie du Preez does not look good.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

Biltong

To my mind Ruan is indeed a confidence player and his confidence is (imo) particularly a fragile thing. I understand that sentiment doesnt endear itself to many fans (in SA or beyond) but at Ulster i think he has found a support both within the team and the backroom staff that has enabled him to bring out his best rugby. His pass is better than any i have seen in this tournament as well. whether he is worthy of a start for the Bokke i dont know.

regarding todays performance though, but for Hougaard, Steenkamp and Du Plessis i think SA would have lost this. PDV must now see the obvious and drop Smit. Hougaard must start be it at wing or 9. Lambie has to come in as (bar the first few minutes) SA played with zero ambition until they went behind. Your 5 guys at the top who need a boot up the ass is spot on.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Biltong

To my mind Ruan is indeed a confidence player and his confidence is (imo) particularly a fragile thing. I understand that sentiment doesnt endear itself to many fans (in SA or beyond) but at Ulster i think he has found a support both within the team and the backroom staff that has enabled him to bring out his best rugby. His pass is better than any i have seen in this tournament as well. whether he is worthy of a start for the Bokke i dont know.

regarding todays performance though, but for Hougaard, Steenkamp and Du Plessis i think SA would have lost this. PDV must now see the obvious and drop Smit. Hougaard must start be it at wing or 9. Lambie has to come in as (bar the first few minutes) SA played with zero ambition until they went behind. Your 5 guys at the top who need a boot up the ass is spot on.

True Pienaar's confidence issues really dont make him a fan favourite . He;s a very fragile individual and if he were more thick skinned(ie Smit ,Frans Steyn ) he'd have been on the bench today .

As for next week Bismarck will be starting, i hope Lambie starts so too De Jongh and Aplon. Knowing PDV however Butch James will be number 10.

Last edited by Bullsbok on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

Full Credit wrote:I think we're all entitled to a bit of leeway during these very tense weeks. I've so informed the woman that the only words I want to hear out of her during a game is the offer of another beer...... she's moving out tomorrow.

You got rid of your's that quick? Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Full Credit wrote:I think we're all entitled to a bit of leeway during these very tense weeks. I've so informed the woman that the only words I want to hear out of her during a game is the offer of another beer...... she's moving out tomorrow.

Here here...

Some really heated moments on these boards last night. Good for the soul and may there be many more. But there wasnt excessive mud slinging and generally some good comments. Wait till the AB's lose then there'll be... naaaaah!

Good luck second round people. game of next rounds gotta be a toss up between Aus Ireland and Wales Samoa- doesnt get much better than that after this weekend.

Love it...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:36 pm

As much as I think he's a good runner of the ball... I think its too soon for De Jongh to come on. I'm a WP supporter and have watched him grow into the the player he is today but he will be targeted by others if he plays. Its a little too early for him in all honesty.

His tackling is poor which is a essential required skill for a 12..... especially given Morne is also a poor tackler. Team such as NZ will throw all their players into this 10-12 channel and will make a lot of ground.

Also I do fine he isolates Fioure a little... he holds onto the ball a little too much and rarely passes it down the line... he's probably still used to beating defences on his own given his age and record in junior rugby so its something that will come in time.

Fiji, Samoa, Ireland all have big, skillful players to run into that channel and I think it would be something PDV would regret if he put De Jongh in there as starter.

I don't think its a time to panic though... die bokke will surely learn from this... but to beat a team like NZ they will need to make perhaps 5-6 changes from today's personal... and you can't put them in cold... they need game time so now is the time to take stock and take the odd gamble.... it may just pay off.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

AlynDavies wrote:

It was bound to happen at some point, better sooner than later before she costs me another game.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down