The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV.

5 posters

Go down

Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV. Empty Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV.

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Seeing that Pieter de Villiers has announced his squad for the away leg of the Tri Nations and assuming that the players that are staying at home are indeed injured, I thought it would be interesting to see what his match day 22 would be against Australia and New Zealand.

Backs
Gio Aplon – DHL Western Province
Bjorn Basson – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Juan de Jongh – DHL Western Province
Adrian Jacobs – The Sharks
Elton Jantjies – MTN Lions
Patrick Lambie – The Sharks
Charl McLeod – The Sharks
Lwazi Mvovo – The Sharks
Odwa Ndungane – The Sharks
Wynand Olivier – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Ruan Pienaar – Ulster
Morne Steyn – Vodacom Blue Bulls

Forwards
Heinrich Brüssow – Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Jean Deysel – The Sharks
Dean Greyling – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Alistair Hargreaves – The Sharks
Ryan Kankowski – The Sharks
Werner Kruger – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Ashley Johnson – Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Johann Muller – Ulster
Coenie Oosthuizen – Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Chiliboy Ralepelle – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Danie Rossouw – Vodacom Blue Bulls
John Smit (captain) – The Sharks
Deon Stegmann – Vodacom Blue Bulls
Adriaan Strauss – Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Flip van der Merwe – Vodacom Blue Bulls

Front row

I would think the better front row would be Dean Greyling, John Smit and Werner Kruger. But once again it seems they will persist with John smit at prop if necessary, as the only other front row players in the squad is Chilliboy and Coenie Oosthuizen. The problem with Oosthuizen is that he conceded many scrumtime penalties this season, whether it is his mistake or the way referees view his scrumming technique is up for debate.

Locks.
I would think Johan Muller and flip van der Merwe would most likely be the best combination. Danie Rossouw should be there, but perhaps PDV will use him as a utility replacement for lock or eightman.

Loose forwards.
Heinrich Brussouw must be given time at 6, Deysel needs to show his worth, but Ashley Johnson deserves a spot. Will PDV rather play Kankowski at 8, or will he give Johnson the opportunity.

Halfback pairing.
The obvious choice will be Pienaar and Morne Steyn. I would hope that Lambie gets an opportunity but once again PDV will most likely see him as the utility back.

Centers.
I would think Wynand Olivier will be the 12 and Juan du Jongh definitely deserves his spot at 13. What Adrian Jacobs brings to the table I still do not understand. Most likely the substitute.

Back three.
I would think the steadying influence of Odwa Ndungane is necessary with the back three as it will not be a very experienced lot. It looks like Gio Aplon might get the fullback birth unless PDV decides to utilise Lambie back there. I would prefer Mvovo as the left wing because of his defensive abilities. Having Aplon, and Basson at the back could be a defensive risk.

So this is his most likely team.
1. Dean Greyling
2. John Smit
3. Werner Kruger
4. Flip van der Merwe
5. Johan Muller
6. Heinrich Brussouw
7. Ashley Johnson
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Morne Steyn
11. Mvovo
12. Wynand Olivier
13. Juan du Jongh
14. Ndungane
15. Lambie.

Bench.
16. Chilliboy
17. Coenie Oosthuizen
18. Danie Russouw
19. Jean deysel
20. Charl Mcleod
21. Gio Aplon
22. Adrian Jacobs.

These guys will have to play their socks off, as I wouldn’t think they would strike fear into the Wallabies and All Blacks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV. Empty Re: Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

That is a diluted team. But that might actually help their chances. They´ll he written off by the Australian and NZ media but in a World Cup year with positions up for grabs, these players will be giving their all to push for those final starting places.

OK it´s by no means a full strength Bok side. But it´s got some very useful players who will no doubt have the luxury of the pressure taken away from them as nobody will give them a chance of winning.

Then the top players come back and PDV has the luxury of knowing which players in the tier below can step up to the job. Very smart. Very cunning. A fox never gets good press but the clever thing usually gets the spoils. If the Boks get hammered then they have the injury list as an excuse. If they get close or even win a game or two then everyone sits up and notices and starts with the Chinese worry balls.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV. Empty Re: Looking at the possible away match day selections for PDV.

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

Kia, the problem is that even good players when under pressure makes mistakes.

Just look at cooper this weekend, due to the pressure he and Genia were under cooper didn't shine as much.

So perhaps these hopefulls aren't given a fair shot.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

I think that team will struggle away from South Africa, but this is a WC year and like it or not the Tri-nation is under that cloud this year. Great opportunity for some talented players to stake a claim for a WC spot, particularly Juan du Jongh, who in my view could become an absolutely key player for the Boks.

Great also to see Brussouw back in the fold. Class act when injury free, and a total menace at the breakdown.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:58 am

Yeah this will be interesting. Whats pdv's role going to be during the campaign? Coaching this team with the intention of winning, finding players to support the A side, or paying lip service to many of the players with his mind on the rested team/ preparation.

Be interesting if this team fires and wins a couple/ few. Great way to blood international players.

Just thought if he were going to rest them he'd doing it Sxv time. Giving away test losses isnt something the ABs would do willingly and we may pay the price for that but we'll have to see...

I like the freshness of the team though. Could be some entertaining stuiff from some of these players who looked really good in the Sxv.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:15 am

I heard Muller was an injury doubt with a hamstring strain?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:07 am

Yes he is being monitored, they called up Gerhard Mostert as back up. They have also realised the front row needs boosting so CJ v d Linde has been added.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down