The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

+37
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
hawalsh
Comfort
Dominic Dicoco
iso
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Knowsit17
Gibson
lostinwales
Rangiora
nathan
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
chewed_mintie
damage_13
GavinDragon
Islingtonv2
TheGreyGhost
greybeard
Gatts
RubyGuby
mckay1402
Cymroglan
rodders
andy powells minder
Davie
Glas a du
FerN
BlueNote
Bullsbok
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
eirebilly
Biltong
41 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. Empty South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:45 am

Date:30 September 2011
Stadium: North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

South Africa
15 Pat Lambie – 9 caps, 2 RWC caps
14 JP Pietersen – 40, 9, RWC tries 4
13 Jaque Fourie – 67, 13, RWC tries 9
12 Frans Steyn – 46, 10, RWC tries 4
11 Bryan Habana – 72, 9, RWC tries 9
10 Morné Steyn – 32, 3, RWC tries 2
9 Fourie du Preez – 60, 9, RWC tries 2
8 Pierre Spies – 45, 3
7 Schalk Burger – 66, 11, RWC tries 2
6 Heinrich Brüssow – 18, 3
5 Victor Matfield – 108, 12
4 Danie Rossouw – 61, 13, RWC tries 6
3 Jannie du Plessis – 28, 4
2 Bismarck du Plessis – 40, 7
1 Tendai Mtawarira – 31, 3, RWC tries 1

Replacements
16 John Smit – 109, 15, RWC tries 1
17 Gurthrö Steenkamp – 36, 5, RWC tries 1
18 CJ van der Linde – 73, 7, RWC tries 1
19 Willem Alberts – 7, 3
20 Francois Louw – 9, 2
21 Francois Hougaard – 13, 3, RWC tries 3
22 Jean de Villiers – 70, 2

Samoa.
15 Paul Williams – 10, 3, RWC tries 1
14 David Lemi – 29, 4
13 Seilala Mapusua – 29, 6
12 Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu – 22, 6
11 Alesana Tuilagi – 26, 7, RWC tries 4
10 Tusi Pisi - 8, 2
9 Kahn Fotuali’i – 8, 3, RWC tries 2
8 George Stowers – 23, 3, RWC tries 1
7 Maurie Faasavalu – 13, 3, RWC tries 2
6 Taiasina Tuifua – 5, 2
5 Kane Thompson – 21, 7, RWC tries 1
4 Daniel Leo – 32, 6
3 Census Johnston – 36, 7
2 Mahonri Schwalger (c) - 41, 10
1 Sakaria Taulafo – 13, 3

Replacements:
16 Ole Avei - 2
17 Anthony Perenise – 13, 3, RWC tries 1
18 Logovi’i Mulipola - 5
19 Ofisa Treviranus – 18, 2
20 Filipo Lavea Levi – 30, 1
21 Junior Poluleuligaga – 21, 5, RWC tries 1
22 George Pisi – 10, 3

Head to head.
Test Caps match day 22: South Africa 1040 – Samoa 413
World cup Caps match day 22: South Africa 148 – Samoa 86
Squad RWC tries: South Africa 45 – Samoa 13
Total tests played wins: South Africa 6 - Samoa 0
Tries scored: South Africa 44 – Samoa 9
Points for: South Africa 316 –Samoa 65
Average score per match: South Africa 53 – Samoa 11

This world cup.
Points scored: South Africa 153 – Samoa 86
Tries scored: South Africa 20 – Samoa 9
Points conceded: south Africa 19 - Samoa 36
Tries conceded: South Africa 1 – Samoa 4
Penalties conceded: South Africa 23 – Samoa 33
Yellow cards: South Africa 0 – Samoa 1

South Africa
South Africa will go into the match as the favourites wanting to ensure they keep dominating the tight exchanges and the breakdown area, they will basically try to ensure execution is as near to perfect as possible and use the as preparation for Australia, expect them to kick for territory and once in control with some points on the board to unleash their backs.

Samoa
Well they will be up for the challenge no doubt, I am concerned with the fact that they have seemed to lose some flair which is akin to the way they play the game. Their performance against Fiji seemed much better structured but less passionate than usual. Tough task ahead of them.

My prediction South Africa by 25 points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. Empty Re: South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by eirebilly Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:19 am

Nice one biltongbek. I cant honestly see Samoa troubling SA but it will be a very physical encounter with two of the worlds biggest hitting teams clashing. Sadly i fear for injuries this match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. Empty Re: South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:08 am

Yeah, I think that will probably be our biggest concern, not to get injuries before the knock outs.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

I said all along that I was glad we played SA first up and it nearly proved fruitful, they are I feel bubbling along nicely and (barring miracles) will beat Australia in the quarters as well.

Injuries, as suggested is always a worry when playing aginst the likes of Samoa and Fiji etc.

One question bil, does PDV know his best side as Bismarck and Alberts seem to be first choice in some peoples eyes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

SA are evidently a form team at the moment. But respect has to be given to Samoa.

A very difficult team to beat. That said I think SA will play a tight tough game and would dorcast a surprisingly comfortable win for SA

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

All the pundits on ITV and most people I've read in the papers or forums now seem certain of the quarter final line up being…

New Zealand vs. Argentina
England vs. France
South Africa vs. Australia
Ireland vs. Wales

… and in all honesty I have to agree that it is very likely indeed.

However, despite holding no malice whatsoever towards South Africa, I would love for Samoa to run in four tries against them, and Wales to do the same against Fiji, thereby dumping the Boks out of the tournament and altering that half of the quarter final draw to...

Wales vs. Australia
Ireland vs. Samoa

I would love to see Samoa in the quarters, and think this would really bring the tournament to life. Sadly, I think the Boks will win by more than 10.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:35 am

Bedford, there has been some talk that SA have a few positional selection conundrums.

Beast or Gurthro, my choice Gurthro starting, Beast last 20
Smit or Bismarck, Bismarck starting.
Botha and Rossouw, Botha and Matfield, Matfield and Rossouw, I just think you can't leave Rossouw out, he is in the form of his life.
De villiers or Steyn at 12, my Choice de villiers at 11 and steyn at 12 with Lambie at 15.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

Gee thanks Pete, that makes me feel a lot better. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

i am a bit suprised that de villiers did pick bismarck over smit, i never thought he would do that

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

Cheers bil,

I think the Beast is over hyped from what I have seen of him, admittedly not watch much of the Tri-Nations etc so only see him when on mainstream TV.

I think he is a bit of a cult figure but certainly doesn't do it against smaller props.

Bismarck is just awesome and how he doesn't get first choice slot is beyond me.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

Biltong, sorry mate. I actually like the South African team and don't buy into this 'they don't play any rugby' nonsense. I am just a huge Samoa fan and would love to see them progress, and to do so it would mean putting your boys out.

It's pie in the sky though really, as I can't see them beating you. I can see a South Africa vs. Wales/Ireland final if I am being totally honest, and can see your guys becoming the first team to succesfully defend the trophy.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:31 am

I know Guthro has a great reputation in SA but I've never been impressed. He got spanked all over the park by Castro at Welford Rd in 2009, that was embarrassing for Guthro and Jannie. I watched a few Bulls games this year and he is decent enough in the scrum and will manage a big carry or two but his stamina isn't great and even in the awesome Blues pack he never seems to really impose himself on the opposition tighthead. I think the Beast will offer more around the park and as much in the scrum.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

I know Guthro has a great reputation in SA but I've never been impressed. He got spanked all over the park by Castro at Welford Rd in 2009, that was embarrassing for Guthro and Jannie. I watched a few Bulls games this year and he is decent enough in the scrum and will manage a big carry or two but his stamina isn't great and even in the awesome Blues pack he never seems to really impose himself on the opposition tighthead. I think the Beast will offer more around the park and as much in the scrum.

Sam, you are thinking of Dean greyling, Gurthro only played one match for the bulls this whole season, he broke his arm in the first Super rugby match and played his first match against australia end of july.

But the fact remains gurthro is still our best scrummager at loose head, we miss Os du Randt more than you'll ever know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

But the fact remains gurthro is still our best scrummager at loose head

I hear that a lot but I just see flash backs of him getting taken to the cleaners by Tigers back 2009. Must have been Greyling for the Blues, those games are generally early morning over here and I'm not always on the ball that early on a Saturday.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Sam, after 2009 Gurthro improved a lot, he was SA player of the year in 2010.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
But the fact remains gurthro is still our best scrummager at loose head

I hear that a lot but I just see flash backs of him getting taken to the cleaners by Tigers back 2009. Must have been Greyling for the Blues, those games are generally early morning over here and I'm not always on the ball that early on a Saturday.

Guthro is immense, he was in devastating form last year and he's on his way back to his best this year.Besides its not his scrummaging that he's known for its his ball carrying which makes him dangerous .While the beast does the big flashy runs in space Guthro is just destructive in close quarters
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

I really can't see past a South Africa win here. Hope everyone stays safe.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:31 am

biltongbek wrote:Bedford, there has been some talk that SA have a few positional selection conundrums.

Smit or Bismarck, Bismarck starting.
Botha and Rossouw, Botha and Matfield, Matfield and Rossouw, I just think you can't leave Rossouw out, he is in the form of his life.
De villiers or Steyn at 12, my Choice de villiers at 11 and steyn at 12 with Lambie at 15.

Coetzee tried De Villiers at 11 for the Stormers and he was really bad there in my opinion. Habana is still our best 11, he doesn't have to attack to be our best, he rarely gets the ball anyway.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:47 am

Fern for me it is a case of either or, both are solid in defence, neither likes to pass, neither are in great form at the moment, although de villiers had some rest and might be more revitalised and keen to play.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:04 am

What time is kick off (BST)?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:10 am

The build up starts 8h30 in SA, game probably 9h30.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:12 am

Sportguru has it as 8:30 BST but they've been wrong before

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:13 am

well let me put it this way, so time doesn't matter, the build up here by us starts in 18 minutes, I think that is for an hour, so in 1h18 mintues the games starts.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:13 am

8.30 what stupid flip time do they call that? It's been 7.30 up till now - first half then work. bar stewards!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:57 am

kick-off in 33 minutes. zen
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

Boks playing in white today!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:34 am

It will be a real shame if Samoa goes out today, they certainly are my favourite team after the Boks. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:43 am

Habana in for the try.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:45 am

Thats one!

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

Hey hows this one going? feckin raging I can't watch this steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Very scrappy game.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Rodders it is tough uncompromising good forward and back play rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:00 am

10-0, steyn penalty 58 meters
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:03 am

Morne Steyn with another penalty 13-0
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:04 am

Samoa have lost the plot when it comes to discipline.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:08 am

Samoa is getting a lot of penalties at scrums and SA at the breakdowns.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:14 am

I have morne in my fantasy team so I'm looking for a big show from him today. A couple of tries from Guthro would be nice too...is he even playing?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:14 am

damnit!
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:20 am

He is on the bench but I am sure he will come on at some stage during the second half.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:32 am

biltongbek wrote:Boks playing in white today!

Has there been an official complaint from England thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

Not yet, but I would expect an official compaint after the match. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:36 am

Whats happening now? Are the Boks in control or is this a real contest?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

The boks are getting the better of samoa in the physical stakes, but it is real competitive out there, a little niggly too.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:39 am

Habana is coming off got a knock on the knee and Hougaard is on.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

hell the boks are being penalised on attack again and again, technical erros according to the referee.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

He would have come on in 10 minutes either way. Wonder if they will sub Fourie and move Hougaard to SH and then do your whole JdV at 11 thing.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

Wow Sa have had to make 30 more tackles than Samoa. Samoa really taking it to them. Hope SA aren't going to relax and let Samoa back in...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Superb try
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Three injuries in as many minutes, Rossouw, Habana and hougaard.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Try for Samoa

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next