The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

+37
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
hawalsh
Comfort
Dominic Dicoco
iso
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Knowsit17
Gibson
lostinwales
Rangiora
nathan
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
chewed_mintie
damage_13
GavinDragon
Islingtonv2
TheGreyGhost
greybeard
Gatts
RubyGuby
mckay1402
Cymroglan
rodders
andy powells minder
Davie
Glas a du
FerN
BlueNote
Bullsbok
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
eirebilly
Biltong
41 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. - Page 5 Empty South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Date:30 September 2011
Stadium: North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

South Africa
15 Pat Lambie – 9 caps, 2 RWC caps
14 JP Pietersen – 40, 9, RWC tries 4
13 Jaque Fourie – 67, 13, RWC tries 9
12 Frans Steyn – 46, 10, RWC tries 4
11 Bryan Habana – 72, 9, RWC tries 9
10 Morné Steyn – 32, 3, RWC tries 2
9 Fourie du Preez – 60, 9, RWC tries 2
8 Pierre Spies – 45, 3
7 Schalk Burger – 66, 11, RWC tries 2
6 Heinrich Brüssow – 18, 3
5 Victor Matfield – 108, 12
4 Danie Rossouw – 61, 13, RWC tries 6
3 Jannie du Plessis – 28, 4
2 Bismarck du Plessis – 40, 7
1 Tendai Mtawarira – 31, 3, RWC tries 1

Replacements
16 John Smit – 109, 15, RWC tries 1
17 Gurthrö Steenkamp – 36, 5, RWC tries 1
18 CJ van der Linde – 73, 7, RWC tries 1
19 Willem Alberts – 7, 3
20 Francois Louw – 9, 2
21 Francois Hougaard – 13, 3, RWC tries 3
22 Jean de Villiers – 70, 2

Samoa.
15 Paul Williams – 10, 3, RWC tries 1
14 David Lemi – 29, 4
13 Seilala Mapusua – 29, 6
12 Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu – 22, 6
11 Alesana Tuilagi – 26, 7, RWC tries 4
10 Tusi Pisi - 8, 2
9 Kahn Fotuali’i – 8, 3, RWC tries 2
8 George Stowers – 23, 3, RWC tries 1
7 Maurie Faasavalu – 13, 3, RWC tries 2
6 Taiasina Tuifua – 5, 2
5 Kane Thompson – 21, 7, RWC tries 1
4 Daniel Leo – 32, 6
3 Census Johnston – 36, 7
2 Mahonri Schwalger (c) - 41, 10
1 Sakaria Taulafo – 13, 3

Replacements:
16 Ole Avei - 2
17 Anthony Perenise – 13, 3, RWC tries 1
18 Logovi’i Mulipola - 5
19 Ofisa Treviranus – 18, 2
20 Filipo Lavea Levi – 30, 1
21 Junior Poluleuligaga – 21, 5, RWC tries 1
22 George Pisi – 10, 3

Head to head.
Test Caps match day 22: South Africa 1040 – Samoa 413
World cup Caps match day 22: South Africa 148 – Samoa 86
Squad RWC tries: South Africa 45 – Samoa 13
Total tests played wins: South Africa 6 - Samoa 0
Tries scored: South Africa 44 – Samoa 9
Points for: South Africa 316 –Samoa 65
Average score per match: South Africa 53 – Samoa 11

This world cup.
Points scored: South Africa 153 – Samoa 86
Tries scored: South Africa 20 – Samoa 9
Points conceded: south Africa 19 - Samoa 36
Tries conceded: South Africa 1 – Samoa 4
Penalties conceded: South Africa 23 – Samoa 33
Yellow cards: South Africa 0 – Samoa 1

South Africa
South Africa will go into the match as the favourites wanting to ensure they keep dominating the tight exchanges and the breakdown area, they will basically try to ensure execution is as near to perfect as possible and use the as preparation for Australia, expect them to kick for territory and once in control with some points on the board to unleash their backs.

Samoa
Well they will be up for the challenge no doubt, I am concerned with the fact that they have seemed to lose some flair which is akin to the way they play the game. Their performance against Fiji seemed much better structured but less passionate than usual. Tough task ahead of them.

My prediction South Africa by 25 points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

True Taylorman,
Also the fact that Ireland have feiced it all up nicely - in setting up SA with Oz and maybe NZ. Its all on. Either 3 of them could win it outright. But that will go down to one - whoever gets there. It has leveled the playing field for the NH sides.

This weekend is huge in going towards that prospect. Its do or die time. Love it. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: South Africa vs Samoa - Match preview and match thread.

Post by hawalsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Yes I'm very serious players often say that the training sessions are just as physical especially when you have players playing for selection.

At club level maybe, but I don't buy that for games infused with WC inspired national pride, even if it involves minnows. A nationally emboldened Jacques Burger is going to cause more damage than a player competing for a space in training that knows they'll be in trouble if they look like they're trying to knock seven shades of s**t out of the first choice guy.

Ask the Springbok and Samoan players who were taken off injured in their Namibian games whether that game or their midweek training session took more out of them.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

I guess you have not watched many international sides train you would be very surprised if you did.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm

Well, the proof in the pudding is that 2 Samoan players went off injured in the Namibia match and neither made it back for the next game. Your opinion of what it should have been like is redundant in how it actually was. Facts suggest you underestimate what a pumped up sportman is willing to give in the name of his country in the big arena of the WC.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm

How would you possibly know this ? have you played in that kind of environment ?
These are professional sportsmen who should be giving their all in every game,they wont change the way they play just because it's a world cup headless chickens are a liability.
Countless players get injured during training sessions.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

Should doesn't match reality though. Innumerable players have said how much more playing for their country inspires them to find that extra edge. The most I've seen players put their body on the line is always in internationals.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:51 am

In the process of watching the game,hell of a lot of cheapshots by both sides.Swinging arms,slapping heads,lazy running.Boks so far Habana got away with a lovely trip,two tackles in minute of player s without the ball.
Very scrappy,nice try by Habana having to juggle it,3 man overlap .
Extremely scrappy,Samoa set piece especially lineouts poor ,scrum disintergrating..Boks playing percentage rugby taking points as they come.
Franny Steyn is a great long distance goal kicker,but not much creative flair[at least in this match].
Samoa getting penalties,but outside there kicking range,kicking for touch futile.
Difficult to judge Boks scrum on this performance,because even Fiji gave Samoa problems there in the second half.
At least Samoa got a try,an 8 points loss means no bonus point so presumeably wales go through before match with Fiji.
Surprised Owens did`nt go to his pocket in first half it was getting silly.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:32 am

Sharp synopsis Mack. guinness

Great feicin game. Love the way Samoa try to play. They kept the Saffers frighteningly honest.

They deserve so much more respect from the IRB. It's a disgrace the way they and others, in the 2nd tier, have been treated. The one major blemish in this RWC. Minnows with no chance - and really given no chance to make an impression and to grow in it, when they get there. They play high-level 3 games in 11/12 days FFS. Its to suit the big 8 - exclusively. This is foolish and counter-productive for the game long-term.

We need to help them all grow and compete. The PI teams, Canada, Eastern European. Asia, USA. South America. Otherwise, what the point of a World Cup? Its a Sham in that respect.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:43 am

Have to agree Emack. I think both Smit and Willianms suffered through their own indiscipline, but niether incident might have happened if Owens had got on top of the off the ball stuff in the first half.

Here's a question. Why appoint Owens to this match. Given that Wale's qualification is potentially dependent on the outcome. It seems to me to be unprofessional (I'm not suggesting Owens is biased, I just think a protocal should be to select a more neutral ref if possible).. Why not Barnes or Poite for instance?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:05 am

Just finished watching the game,incredible second half,Samoa lineout and
scrum suddenly functioning.Lemi thru tackled by Lambie,BUT not held penalty Boks ?
Both sides have near tries to TMO neither given,after the try Boks started to play flowing rugby .
Good Samoan defence,Williams incident direct strike to the face RED CARD
Broussow was striking him several times prior to this,possible retaliation?
IF he was grabbing Broussow by the nuts,fair comment If NOT?possible yellow.
Smit not attempt to go for the intercept,cynical Yellow[happened in the first half too but Boks got away with it.
DeVilliers looked good when he came on,BOTH sides getting away with murder at breakdown and off side.
Superb second half well done both sides,hope Habana and the rest injured recover soon.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazzer79 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:57 am

I had the pleasure of being at this game last night and just wanted to mention a couple of things;

Well organised at the stadium, great bus links, which I can't exactly say for other matches.

Great stadium, with good facilities.

Great people both Samoa & Bok fans, being a neutral had plenty of banter with both.

Great 2nd half performance from Samoa. Think it surprised a lot of Bok, Samoa & Kiwi fans. Many had written them off before the game began, probably due to most of the backline playing in 'Europe' in the MC's words. Tri Nations fans are arrogant and ignorant in their sledging of European rugby, it's beyond belief, you'd think they'd learn after one of the big 3 gets knocked out early ish at every world cup??? When will they learn.

Being a big Northern Hemisphere fan I knew exactly what each of the backline players were capable of and expected the game to pan out as it did. The biggest and best surprise was to see the set piece going well. Haven't seen the Bok pack pushed backwards in a scrum for a while!

A very brutal game, some niggles for SA going forwards and the biggest blow of all being that Frans Steyn is 95% out of the tournament with a shoulder injury, a massive blow for SA considering his 60m+ kicking range!

Just on my way to Eden park for Eng vs Scotland which I think will be a similar game in intensity ad closeness, COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bazzer79

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Sat 01 Oct 2011, 3:28 am

Sounds like Fran Steyn is out of the RWC with a shoulder injury - this could be a massive blow for the Jarpies

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 01 Oct 2011, 3:31 am

Bazzer79 wrote:I had the pleasure of being at this game last night and just wanted to mention a couple of things;

Well organised at the stadium, great bus links, which I can't exactly say for other matches.

Great stadium, with good facilities.

Great people both Samoa & Bok fans, being a neutral had plenty of banter with both.

Great 2nd half performance from Samoa. Think it surprised a lot of Bok, Samoa & Kiwi fans. Many had written them off before the game began, probably due to most of the backline playing in 'Europe' in the MC's words. Tri Nations fans are arrogant and ignorant in their sledging of European rugby, it's beyond belief, you'd think they'd learn after one of the big 3 gets knocked out early ish at every world cup??? When will they learn.

Being a big Northern Hemisphere fan I knew exactly what each of the backline players were capable of and expected the game to pan out as it did. The biggest and best surprise was to see the set piece going well. Haven't seen the Bok pack pushed backwards in a scrum for a while!

A very brutal game, some niggles for SA going forwards and the biggest blow of all being that Frans Steyn is 95% out of the tournament with a shoulder injury, a massive blow for SA considering his 60m+ kicking range!

Just on my way to Eden park for Eng vs Scotland which I think will be a similar game in intensity ad closeness, COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clap

You lucky basterd! Ok!

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5