The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England?

+10
hodge
Grizzly
Beer
dancingweeman
marty2086
JDandfries
sodhat
Davie
Crimey
Luke
14 posters

Go down

Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England? Empty Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England?

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

The general consensus is that Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite and dare I say it a shoe in for the England job but I personally have my reservations. His obvious strength appears to be his man management skills but my belief is that pulling on your national jersey should be more than enough motivation alone. I also don't agree that certain professional footballers need mollycoddling so for me THE absolute area where a national manager should excel is in his tactics. I am not so sure Redknapp is that good a tactician that he can take an England side into a major championship final.

So what do you think guys? Would you be happy with his appointment? Do you think he's up to it?

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England? Empty Re: Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England?

Post by Luke Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:39 am

To be honest i don't think that he is the rightman for the job. As you say i don't think his tactical knowledge is sufficent for the England, and if things are going wrong he dosn't seem to know how to change them. Plus is he one to bring the youth through?
He does play good football, and his man mangement is fantastic, but to me that is enough in international football, espically as this is a team in change. But the only reason he is favorite is because he's English.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England? Empty Re: Is Harry Redknapp really the right man to lead England?

Post by Crimey Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:09 am

tiger has hit the nail on the head, he's favourite because he's English. I don't think he's a good enough manager to do a better job than Sven or Capello the two foreign guys.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 12 Sep 2011, 7:30 am

The day Redknapp is appointed as England manager is the day that I finally give up on the England international team

Others have mentioned is "strengths" as a man-manager. His other forté is wheeling and dealing in the transfer market; something that has no place in international football

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

I don't think he can be so easily dismissed as a wheeler dealer or poor tactician. They both reek of lazy tags and I don't think they do justice to a man who has proven again and again that he is a very capable manager.

He took Tottenham into the top 4 of the premier league, and that can't be down solely to fortune and buying and selling. He must have a good level of tactical knowledge to achieve that, no?

His strengths in the transfer market are absolutely applicable to England for me; an eye for a good player, and then squeezing the best out of them in terms of where they play and motivating them on a personal level.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

He has proven very little really - yes he may have gotten Spurs into the top 4, but he spent an absolute fortune doing it, including suspiciously buying jermaine Defoe and Peter Crouch for the 12th time!!

He has shown how poor his man management skills are in the handling of Luca Modric.

Harry will fail as England manager, as have the previous few who are all far better qualified than he is, due to the fact that the players simply do not meet the country's over inflated expectations!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

As an Irishman I thought that Harry was a shoe in for the job and would have been what they needed but after watching how he went about things over in the summer I have done a u turn, he has a habit of building a good team the dismantling it when he has a good base to build on cant see him cutting it at international level

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

JDandfries wrote:He has proven very little really - yes he may have gotten Spurs into the top 4, but he spent an absolute fortune doing it, including suspiciously buying jermaine Defoe and Peter Crouch for the 12th time!!

He has shown how poor his man management skills are in the handling of Luca Modric.

Harry will fail as England manager, as have the previous few who are all far better qualified than he is, due to the fact that the players simply do not meet the country's over inflated expectations!

Can't blame Harry for Modric for me, his head was turned by Chelsea and Levy was the problem there. It's how he handles Modric from now on that tests his man-management.

Money was spent, but that's the only way to get success in the PL. The players he bought and the system they played was the biggest factor. Spending doesn't automatically mean success, but it makes it more likely...he got them over the final hump, and I credit him for that.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

I'm interested, who would people rather see as the next England manager?

Would you rather an English appointment to another foreign coach?

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm

dancingweeman wrote:I'm interested, who would people rather see as the next England manager?

Arsene Wenger every day of the week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

I think getting Tottenham into the top four was more down to Liverpool's horrific fall from "grace" and Man City having a side that was still very much in the middle of being built.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

dancingweeman wrote:I'm interested, who would people rather see as the next England manager?

Martin O'Neill.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

England will never appoint Harry as Manager of the national side.
The last time they went with a popular choice (Venables) he created so many off field issues that he became more trouble than it was worth - not that he wasn't a good coach, it was his business interest (past and present) that jumped up to bite him/them.

There is still a massive investigation ongoing on Harry, City of London police have had enough to nail him for 17 months, for some reason the CPS have kept delaying the case, but his time(s) at Portsmouth there are some serious accusations to answer.
There's also the betting coup when he was W Ham manager many years ago and of course his tax issues.

In short, England take a massive chance on Harry if they appoint him, the vultures will be circling very quickly and the value of the stories relating to his past dealings increase in value ten-fold, a media frenzy will follow.

As for whether he's the right man for the job it's debatable, but I agree the FA are looking for the right Englishman to lead the side, not the right manager which I think is a mistake.
They could have avoided all of this by appointing Martin O'Neill when they should have.....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

i wouldnt mind Stuart Pearce being given a chance tbh

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

hodge wrote:i wouldnt mind Stuart Pearce being given a chance tbh

What exactly is the point in giving a young Englishman the U21s job for so long, if he is overlooked when the main job comes up, who else has as much knowledge of English players aged from about 16 to 26 afterall?

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

it doesnt matter who you put incharge, the same 'names' will get picked and then AGAIn flatter to decieve.

Under Harry, Lampard, Terry and beckham would all end up with 300 caps each - nothing changes, we just get a media friendly (for a while) 'chancer' as manager.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

I think Redknapp is the right guy, the last two Englishmen in charge (Keegan and McLaren) didn't set the heather on fire so I don't think he'll be under anymorw pressure than the norm.

I think Redknapp is the right choice for a few reasons, He's a media darling, the English press do more damage to the National side than anything else, I think they'll be more positive and a bit more understanding with old 'cash n carry'

I also think England have become very robotic and detached from the fans, under Redknapp I think he can win over the crowd and get the players spilling blood for the cause, I also think its naive to think he isn't tactically aware, he is very astute but perhaps a bit to ambitious at times with lesser players, with England he'll have his pick of the talent.

Personally I can see Redknapp take charge with Beckham as his assistant

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:30 pm

Speaking of Redknapp's man management some of us may find this interesting.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/September/13/van-der-vaart-unhappy-over-europa-decision/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

I think that's got more to do with Harry's contempt for that particular competition and taking away the carrot of just playing VDV in it.

I'm surprisef Harry didn't tell him but then again, if he told VDV maybe he would have insisted he'd want to play

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:48 am

i think harry redknapp would make a very good england manager Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

Harry will become the new Kevin Keegan. Great man manager and motivator but not great tactics wise.

All this being said Capello and Sven are not rubbish managers just because they were foreign or didn't lead England to glory.

Fact of the matter is we just don't have a very good national side. Or, mores the point, we can't play as a team. The where and why fors could go on for miles but the simple fact is we are not as good as what we think we are.....

.....regardless who the manager is.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

Roy Hodgson with Beckham and Pearce as assistants
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down