The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can?

+4
ADMIN
Mat
Crimey
pauline1981
8 posters

Go down

Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can? Empty Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can?

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

Was debating this with my mate last night, who's a Spur, and he is adamant that Redknapp can once again take Spurs back into the Champions League but I am not so sure. There is no doubt that he has done an outstanding job in the relatively short time he has been there but unless they can hold onto their top players such as Bale and Modric and add some extra quality to the current squad I can't see them reaching them heights again anytime soon.

The obvious area in need of improvement is up front but who do they get?

There is also this England thing where alot of people, both fans and media, believe that the national job is his as soon as Fabio Capello leaves his post. I have an inkling that Stuart Pearce will step up but that's another discussion altogether.

Be interesting to see what you guys think especially the Spurs fans.

Cheers Guys.

Last edited by FreekShow on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can? Empty Re: Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can?

Post by pauline1981 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

europe is quite far

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can? Empty Re: Has Harry Redknapp taken Spurs as far as he can?

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

I don't think he'll be able to turn into a title winning team, but I don't think another top 4 position is out of the question. Modric and Bale came to the team without having Champions League football, and I don't think either will leave this summer.

I think he can take them back into the top 4. It's all very close in the top 6 now, and it's hard for anybody to predict who will finish where really.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

I actually think Modric will go Leak simply because Levy will sell if a decent offer comes in. They also have a strict wage structure which while is no bad thing could scupper their attempts to keep hold of their top stars if lets say Man Utd start offering a 100k a week plus for their services.

But if they can keep the squad together and add, lets say, Karem Benzema then I can't see why they can't challenge for the title.

Whether Redknapp is the man to guide them though is another matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:45 pm

I don't think a team will go for Modric this year, although United are reported to be interested I'd be surprised if he left Tottenham this year. Just a gut feeling though. I think United might not even get a new CM, despite the fans and everybody wanting one I think that Fergie might not bother, he seems to have a lot of faith in the team he has right now.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Id be very surprised and (have to say) slightly annoyed if we don't strengthen the CM position this off season. It was easily the weakest part of our side for the last few seasons and is in dure need of a tune up

back to the topic thread though I'll go one further and say Harry over achieved with the team at his disposal. Modric, VDV and Bale aside I reckon their squad is average at best. I reckon Harry will have one final season with Spurs and then take over the England role when Capello steps down after Euro 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Which, if any, strikers would you offload Gazzy?

And who would you like in?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Well I'm a United fan (sorry I don't think that come across in my post as I was replying to Leak saying we may not strengthen CM position)

As for Spurs I would probably say they need to let Crouch and Pav go. Its strange as they both have shown glimpses of what they're capable of but for me thats been few and far between. If they can keep those three players I mentioned I'd have Bale on the left wing, Modric in the middle with Sandro, Lennon on the right and VDV behind a new striker and I'd try and lure Benzema away from Real Madrid. Defoe on the bench with maybe another new striker who wouldn't be a marquee signing

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:54 pm

I think that Spurs should keep Crouch as he is a different option which can put teams off, they should get rid of Pavlyuchenko and Keane, and possibly even Defoe who has been very inconsistent. I'd bring in another striker if they can, Benzema is a good one, but I doubt he'd move to Tottenham, and if they do get rid of Defoe 2 new strikers.

Rodallega might be one to look at? I don't think Diego Milito is getting many games at Inter either so he might be one to check out.

There biggest problem is that they no longer have Champions League football to entice people, so they're unlikely to get somebody like VDV like last summer, as they don't really have anything to offer other than Europa League and first team football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

I'm not sure that they will be able to get back into the top 4 to be honest.The amount of money the rest of the top 6 seem to be/will spend in the summer will dwarf what Spurs will spend,and they are the team in need of the most strengthening.

I think the top 4 will be the same as this year,Man Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal,Man City.Not sure what order though! Then Liverpool and Spurs fighting for 5th/6th place.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

I worry for Arsenal a bit myself Mat. I think Wengers stubbornness to spend big in the transfer market is starting to take it's toll. It's even getting to the players it seems.

I would say the fourth spot will be a fight between my team Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Arsenal finish sixth or worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

The problem they have this summer is that they don't have the lure of the Champions League to attract the big names like they had last summer when they managed to snag VDV so I'd be highly surprised to see someone like Benzema willing to move unfortunately.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

I'm not sure.I've got a feeling that Wenger's seen where he has got to strengthen and the early signs are there that he is going to spend(Such as offering 16 Million for Jones).

I think they'll get rid of Fabregas,who although is a cracking player,has had a lot of injury troubles over the past few seasons and hasn't been as influential.The amount of money they will get for him means Wenger could spend pretty much risk-free.

If they keep Van Persie fit and bring in a Centre Half,Two Wide players and another Striker they will be ok I think.I'm not sure if Liverpool have enough this season to challenge top 4,it will be interesting to see if the upturn in fortunes under Dalglish will continue.But they are certainly splashing the cash to try and get into that position.

Spurs need the most strengthening,they pretty much need a whole new forward line and figure out how to fit in Van Der Vaart effectively.They will also struggle to keep Modric,but I think Bale will stay.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

De ja vu Hero...

Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

Yeah lol, I'd started typing it before yours went up, went off elsewhere why I was doing it and by the time I came back you and 2 others had posted on it!
Doh

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Simply put yes.... Unless some billionaire throws unlimited funds its impossible to stay in that elite 4. United, City & Chelsea with remain but I think your looking at a merry go round with that 4th spot over the next few years between Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

Brady12 wrote:Simply put yes.... Unless some billionaire throws unlimited funds its impossible to stay in that elite 4. United, City & Chelsea with remain but I think your looking at a merry go round with that 4th spot over the next few years between Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs
Do you really think City are guaranteed a top 4 place for the next few years. If Tevez leaves and once the new UEFA rules come into effect I think Liverpool and Arsenal will both finish above City

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:Simply put yes.... Unless some billionaire throws unlimited funds its impossible to stay in that elite 4. United, City & Chelsea with remain but I think your looking at a merry go round with that 4th spot over the next few years between Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs
Do you really think City are guaranteed a top 4 place for the next few years. If Tevez leaves and once the new UEFA rules come into effect I think Liverpool and Arsenal will both finish above City

Disagree, simple economics... The haves & the have nots. The only way City wont is if the filthy rich arabs leave... The have the money to buy anyone, Liverpool & Arsenal don't

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:49 pm

Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:

Disagree, simple economics... The haves & the have nots. The only way City wont is if the filthy rich arabs leave... The have the money to buy anyone, Liverpool & Arsenal don't
Obviously Man City have a bottomless pit of money but the new UEFA rules won't allow them to keep spending what they want on who they want.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:

Obviously Man City have a bottomless pit of money but the new UEFA rules won't allow them to keep spending what they want on who they want.

Fair point it'll be interesting to see what happens when the new rules go into play. Wouldn't surprise me if the bigger clubs find some kind of loop hole in the rules though

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

They are bound to upto a point but when you take into account the fact that Man City have spent over 400 million in transfers in 3-4 years and have an annual wage bill of 120-150 million they will have the hardest job of finding a way around the rules

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

I think it depends what Harry thinks he do with the squad he has. No doubt he had a better squad last season then he did the previous season. He had a good run in the Champions League and I think trying to juggle the two proved difficult and that was down to experience. Having said that, it wasn't a failure last season. We shall have to see if Tottenham go backwards. I can't see that they would with the squad they have. Would hate to see him go like Moyes has at Everton where they have gone backwards since 2005.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 06 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Well you have drawn a big name in Hearts.
Are you worried?
Still you have our ex manager as No2 so there may be a bit of hope for you.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

Ps.
Is White Hart Lane still OK for the second leg?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down