The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !!

+4
HumanWindmill
captain carrantuohil
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
8 posters

Go down

Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !! Empty Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:08 pm

Guy deserves a medal for me.....Gets a limited John Mugabi mass exposure by basically setting him up with forward stumbling stiffs and then lands him the big one with Old Marvin and he nearly pulls it off!!! Got an unbeaten Honey a weight-stripped Curry....Saw Nigel Benn there for the taking for Watson.....Got the useless Bruno a huge name in a risk free way as part of the Duff/Lawlesss camp....

A shrewd shrewd Manager who has a knack for timing and.....suityable opponent arranging for his charges....

As for the cornerman......His work with both Honey and Mugabi in there biggest fights is just sterling....The way he cajoled both of them and pointed out in an efficent manner pointers to help them during the fight was superb....

Sure like most Managers he liked his share but a savvy man and one of the best Managers/cornermen I've come across......Deserving of a mention.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !! Empty Re: Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

Great article!

Yes Duff was an old school boxing manager but he faded when the new school took over. Still he took what Mugabi had and made a name for him, I mean Mugabi knocked over a lot of bums but it was he was dressed up as this unstoppable beast and thats thanks to Duff.

I cant work out if you are being serious or you are mocking Duff,if its the latter then yeah he was a bit of a joke.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !! Empty Re: Mickey Duff - One of the best manager/cornermen I've seen !!

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 12 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

Got to agree. Had a sixth sense about when a great fighter was ready to be taken out, and I'll never forget Stracey-Napoles in that context. Cut more global ice than any British fight figure of my lifetime (nearly 45 years).

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

British institution,was Mickey Duff, and deservedly so.

I mentioned to Truss, in passing, that I had an idea that Duff had worked with one or two top Americans, also, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Memory may well be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember seeing him, possibly in the fifties ( the footage was in black and white, ) in the corner for one of the high profile fighters ( Ezzard Charles, maybe ? ) but I really can't be bothered to negotiate the labyrinth of cyberspace to confirm it, and neither do I fancy going through all my films just to satisfy my curiosity.

Can anybody put me out of my misery, please ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

HumanWindmill wrote:British institution,was Mickey Duff, and deservedly so.

I mentioned to Truss, in passing, that I had an idea that Duff had worked with one or two top Americans, also, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Memory may well be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember seeing him, possibly in the fifties ( the footage was in black and white, ) in the corner for one of the high profile fighters ( Ezzard Charles, maybe ? ) but I really can't be bothered to negotiate the labyrinth of cyberspace to confirm it, and neither do I fancy going through all my films just to satisfy my curiosity.

He was involved with the following fighters Jim Watt, Alan Minter, Lloyd Honeyghan, John Conteh, Terry Downes, and Howard Winstone. He has also worked with champions Maurice Hope, John "The Beast" Mugabi and Cornelius Boza Edwards.

Not my own work all stolen from the internet!!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:

He was involved with the following fighters Jim Watt, Alan Minter, Lloyd Honeyghan, John Conteh, Terry Downes, and Howard Winstone. He has also worked with champions Maurice Hope, John "The Beast" Mugabi and Cornelius Boza Edwards.

Thanks, badger.

I appreciate your having taken the trouble, but I did just a preliminary ' Google ' and found the same names, which suggested I'd be in for a laborious troll through the net to find the answer. Not my cup of tea.

It may well be that my memory is playing tricks, and that's what is so damned infuriating.

Thanks, again, for taking the trouble to try to help.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:

Thanks, badger.

I appreciate your having taken the trouble, but I did just a preliminary ' Google ' and found the same names, which suggested I'd be in for a laborious troll through the net to find the answer.

Would appear our internet skills are on a par with eachother!! Smile

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

Truss cant mention Honey v Curry without 'weight stripped' being close by.

Its been nearly 25 years!!! Get over!!

Might it just be the fact that Curry had a bad chin? He was knocked out another 4 times after this like.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

Windy, these might help?

http://www.comedians.co.uk/mduff.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0002189267/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Union Cane wrote:Windy, these might help?

http://www.comedians.co.uk/mduff.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0002189267/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks for those, Union.

The book, in particular, looks to be very interesting.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

Thought you weren't posting on my threads Union!! although you are always welcome..

Always thought his tone in the corner was very calming unlike a Duva or a Dundee......Sort of guy you'd want if you were going through the mill.....

Always had time for him..used to work with a guy called Johnny Bos or something who'd arrange the right guys for his opponents..

Also remember him falling out with Lawless over Bruno's opponents..Lawless wouldn't want useless stiffs as they might be too good!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

To those of you who tried to help me with my little query I again say ' thank you ' but feel that we should now call off the hounds.

Even Duff's bio at the HOF makes no mention of his having been in the corner of any of the American luminaries, so I guess my memory must have been playing tricks. I had even wondered if he'd been ' loaned out ' to a visiting American or two ( I thought that, perhaps, it had been Zora Folley when he came over to fight Cooper the first time, ) but it doesn't seem to have been the case.

Sorry to have set you on a wild goose chase and thanks, again, for having taken the trouble to try to help.

As to the original article, Truss, it was time well spent reading up about Duff and learning a few things about him which I hadn't known. That is, surely, the whole point of articles in the first place, so props to you for this one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 13 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm

I think he managed 19 world champions if my memory serves me right- he was hoping that Billy Schwer would win the lightweight title, so he couls call his biography 20 and out. Agree he was an excellent cornerman, allways calm and assured in there

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down