The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berry done for the year

+7
The Mangler US_UK
Grizzly
Thomond
GurTPL
TheBrownTown
Derbyblue
Pr4wn
11 posters

Go down

Berry done for the year Empty Berry done for the year

Post by Pr4wn Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:09 am

Chiefs FS Eric Berry tore is ACL in Sunday night's loss to the Bills and is out for the rest of this season.

That's tough on a Chiefs defense that was absolutely shredded by the Bills in week one.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Berry done for the year Empty Re: Berry done for the year

Post by Derbyblue Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:25 am

Looks like it will be a very long season ahead for Chiefs fans. Grizzly didn't seem to be expecting a repeat of last year but with Berry gone and the Bills getting 41 points it looks like they could struggle to come close to 8-8.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:28 am

Even though I hate the Chiefs and want them to lose, this is terrible news. I hate season ending injuries and when they happen to bright young stars it's even worse. I wish him a speedy recovery, but not the Chiefs.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:32 am

couple of other seasons ended today - nate kaeding done, and ron bartell's injury really does not sound good at all, two fractures in his neck :/ (i'd post the link to the tweet, but apparently i can't post links for 7 days)

not what they wanted, especially with mikell hurt too

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:56 am

Jon Beason and the Panthers are fearing he could miss the season with a serious achilles' tendon injury.

Didn't know about that rule Gur, but if you tweet us the link I can post it or get an admin to put it into your post.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:59 am

Bad for him and the Chiefs,a very talented lad.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:03 am

well it's basically not much more than that, couple of people tweeted it out now (schef, greg rosenthal from PFT, and the rams official account). big loss for the rams.

also, just saw just how bad a loss this is for the Chiefs. The backup behind Berry? SABBY PISCATELLI

dear god, this season's basically in the toilet for the chiefs. all a team needs to do is throw deep over Sabby's half of the field and they'll all be putting up 41 points

so happy he's not wearing pewter anymore...

EDIT: just seen confirmation that Beason's gone.

Last edited by GurTPL on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:10 am

Berry was primed for a pro-bowl year, the guy really is a beast and this is so sad for him and the Chiefs.
I heard rumours last night that he was hurt bad but nothing came from the Chiefs and the seriousness of his knee has only been made public now.
He actually looked off the pace for me so may have been playing hurt and made the injury worse, even though he was only out there a short time.
I've been convinced all Summer that this sort of thing would happen more and more as the players just didn't arrive to camp conditioned, I expect more high profile injuries in the early weeks.
As for the Chiefs, there's gotta be some good news out there somewhere.....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:27 am

stevie johnson claims that his block berry wasn't a cheap shot/dirty hit....

i've got a link that differs. since i can't post a link yet, i'll PM it to a mod to add in below

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:35 am

GurTPL - I think I know the link you're talking about, I've seen it and I don't think that's the hit that he did his ACL because I'm sure he came back onto the field after that.
The clip I saw was his going down with no-one near him.
Aside form that the hit wasn't dirty for me, it was low but not dirty, not every play on a field is a flag and fine despite what the league think....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:37 am

Send it to me mate, I'll sort it.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:41 am

yeh, does sound like you're taking about the one i'm talking about. i'm not against good hits, but that looks like clipping to me? if he was going for a cut block fair enough, but then he's horrendously bad at blocking :P

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:45 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/12/stevie-johnson-says-block-that-tore-eric-berrys-acl-wasnt-a-cheap-shot/

Would it be that link?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:48 am

yer, the first link mentioned in that PFT article. again, really looks to me like either clipping or terrible attempt at blocking

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:50 am

http://www.greghallkc.com/?p=696

End of article is the link to where Berry got hurt

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Sports writer Jason Whitlock was hating on Todd Haley and pretty much saying the Chiefs are now in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. So I guess there is a bright side for a season of misery, Grizzly.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

The block was legal and didn't do his knee, it was the cut as his knee hyper extended inwards. Did the same sort of thing a few years ago but was lucky to only have sprained my knee and ankle, without tearing the ligament. Berry's not so lucky, though I did wonder (based on previous comments) if he was carrying some sort of pre-existing injury or out of shape, as it didn't look that bad at first. Sorry for the kid - he's going to have to watch his team go down the pan from the sideline.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

Mangler

Those who date back to the old BBC 606 days will know my views on Cassel, his season starting in NE was behind an outstanding OL and he was never going to get that same protection in KC.
He was OK last year without being exceptional - his passing success came as a result of Jamaal and Jones punding away on the ground forcing the defences to commit more men in the box creating 1 to 1 passing match ups.
He will never be better than an adequate QB, 4th tier IMO.

Having been through the dark years we never got a #1 pick and by christ were we bad, so I just wonder how bad you have to be this year to get Luck.
Colts have staked their claim....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:57 am

nah, i reckon seahawks will beat them to luck. the only thing they had going for them was a run game, and their line's looked far too shaky for my liking. i think they're gonna end up with the worst record this season

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:31 am

Am I the only one who thinks "What if Luck doesn't declare?" everytime someone mentions him being the silver lining to having a truly terrible season?

Grizzly the Colts have staked their claim but if Manning can get back they could win a few games at the end of the season, a team that managed to lose 41-7 against the Bills could easily be in the race for the #1 pick.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:52 am

he has to declare, he's a senior. panthers wish he would have declared after his junior year, they would have taken him over newton any day

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:56 am

A year ago everyone wanted to tank for Locker. Now its Suck for Luck.

Beason also went down
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:06 am

GurTPL wrote:he has to declare, he's a senior. panthers wish he would have declared after his junior year, they would have taken him over newton any day
I thought he had only been at Stanford for 2 years. Though I did just find this from January:
"Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in this spring's NFL draft, announced Thursday he will stay in school and play his redshirt junior season.

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," Luck said in a statement." http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:09 am

The more I read about Manning the more I'm hearing season over and some are even saying career done.
Collins was always a strange starter choice given they took a QB (Painter) in the 2009 draft, it tells me everything about how they rate Painter if they're digging up a 38 year old out of retirement and giving him the nod ahead of the guy they've invested in for the past 3 years.
Colts looked a shambles on Sunday, seriously bad.

Forget us for the #1 pick, we may not be great this year and there may be some problems lurking, but we still have one of the best running games in football and if we can plug gaps the injuries have created we'll win some games

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:15 am

ah, didn't realise he had a redshirted year as well. spose he could stay for a fifth year, but i don't think he will, risk of injury/fall in kudos could make a huge difference. he'll still be a first rounder if he stays healthy, but still, locker would have been #1 if he came out in '10, adrian clayborn would have been a top 10 pick, i'm sure there's other examples but can't think of any others of the top of my head.

i think the biggest reason, too, will be that jim harbaugh's gone from stanford now. if he doesn't click with david shaw, that'd be another strong reason to declare

and on the manning front, rumours swirling round twitter yesterday that the colts were close to a 1 year deal with david garrard. if true, i can't say i'm entirely surprised, think he'd do a better job of it than collins

GurTPL

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 14 Sep 2011, 4:20 am

If they sign Garrard they will put Manning on IR, unless they give up on Painter altogether. Can't see how they can carry 4 QB's on the roster, though they could conceivably release Collins.

Can't see Manning being done for good unless the latest surgery failed (no indication it has), but from what was shown in preseason and the blurb since, Painter is not the solution. I can't see them being bad enough to get the #1 pick automatically, but they may trade up. If I was the team with the #1 I'd seriously consider listening to a good trade if it isn't the Colts.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:27 am

skins4ever wrote:Painter is not the solution.

That's the key point regarding Curtis Painter... Totally do not rate him

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:32 am

Another injury from the weekend is that Willie Colon tore his triceps in the game against the Ravens and will miss the season, not sure what that will mean for the Steelers O-line, he seemed to be getting beaten regularly and gave away a few penalties.

Will be strange if Garrard goes from the Jaguars to Colts but I guess it would guarantee him starting the season which is what he apparently wanted from his new team.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 14 Sep 2011, 6:57 am

really sad he's out for kc this year, already one of my favourite guys in the league, even got his jersey last year, luck is not a senior, he is a redshirt junior so has this season and next if he wants as far as im aware

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed 14 Sep 2011, 7:09 am

skins4ever wrote:If they sign Garrard they will put Manning on IR

Don't see them putting him on IR. Manning had a more invasive and painful procedure done, one that from what I read the docs prefer not to do, so that he would have a chance at coming back this season. Guess it involved taking some bone from his hip to fuse vertebrae in his neck.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

What I meant was, they won't go for Garrard and keep 3 QB's + Manning. Either Collins or Painter is gone, and I would bet they keep Collins if forced to chose. But I would think they will not go for another QB right now unless they get the nod Manning is on a long road to recovery. And if so, they will likely IR Manning and pick up a 3rd QB.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down