The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa

+2
RubyGuby
Comfort
6 posters

Go down

Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa Empty Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

As the smell of defeat starts to be blown away by the forceful winds across Wales we start to look ahead to Samoa.

Samoa have named their starting line-up (a full strength team pretty much) against Namibia, so they should be pretty sharp and have a good understanding by the time it comes to lining up against wales.

My question then, is simple, North is nailed on, Shane not so much so against the PI sides, neither Hook who is defensively weak as the last line of defence.

So who do we play in the back 3?

I advocated Brew at 11, North at 14, which is still what I support for this game. Brew offers workrate, speed, physicality and the ruck-work that will be so important against the big guys in the samoan backline.

But then who for full back?

Priestland? So good at 10 on the wknd, it'd be hard to drop him from the position. Not tried at 15 internationally.
Hook? Weak defensively (see his attempted tackle on Steyn at the wknd for the try), but otherwise he's been relatively good at full back, but I'd prefer to see him switch roles with Priestland more in attack.
Byrne? Even when off-form, his defence is solid, but his kicking can be erratic and his decision-making horrendous at times, he's not currently on-form or match-fit.
Halfpenny? Seems a popular choice on these boards, has the big and accurate boot, pace in abundance, only ever had 20 minutes (against the argies) at full back internationally. Would his last line defence be any stronger than hooks?
Shane? A very left-wing selection choice. We know he's decent under the high ball, his counter attacking is brilliant in space, but defensively could be a liability (tackling and positionally).

So this is the real conundrum.

What to do with the back 3?

Personally, Id go

11. Brew
14. North
15. Hook/Preistland (either or with the other at 10)

Take it away! zen

Please assume that JR & JD2 are to start in the centers, I dont see either being moved or replaced after their performances. Phillips to stay at scrum half for his presence there for me, Knoyle to be brought on later in the game though.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa Empty Re: Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

I think that is giving in to Samoa - The team should stay the same - Shane had an average game on Saturday but he is probably the one in this game who can turn the defence with his skill against the powerful but cumbersome Samoans. I am a fan of Brews but he needs to use his brain and pace a bit more. In the 16 all draw against Fiji he went looking for conatct all the time and came off 3rd best, if he does that against the Samoans the same thing will happen thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa Empty Re: Georgie boy + 2 (who?) against Samoa

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

im re-having the Shane at fullback lapses. not cool. Headscratch

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:09 pm

I would definitely stick with Hook at FB. Ok he went into the tackle too high but other than that he was safe under the high ball and didn't do much else wrong. Byrne shouldn't even be in NZ as far as I'm concerned and is a total liability on the pitch. I would rather have seen Newton go...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

Byrne should not be there at all. A waste of a squad place and I have no doubt that he would be left at home had Stoddard not broken his leg.

What's the point in taking 1 recognised fullback and then being too afraid to use him.

11. Brew
14. North
15. Halfpenny

I don't think we are playing the sort of game that suits Shane these days. And if were not doing that then he is a liability.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

Hook at 15, could be moved to 10 at some point to keep him happy. Byrne on the bench to get 20-30 minutes to find some form or wave bye bye. I like the idea of Brew starting too. Samoa won't make that many line breaks and if they do they'll be hunted down so the last defencive man may not be threated that much, except under the high ball.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

Brew over Shane, better work rate and not greedy, adds to some support to rucks and also has pace and strength.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down