The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never Mind the Quality feel the Width

+3
WelshinEdinburgh
Biltong
RubyGuby
7 posters

Go down

Never Mind the Quality feel the Width Empty Never Mind the Quality feel the Width

Post by RubyGuby Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm

So here we are 1 week in some closer than expected results, some strange goalkicking and the usual batch of injurys with no doubt more to come. Does it detract from the excitement, no way Jose'!. Anyways, down to my point. I get the impression that this is turning out to be a lower quality RWC than previous ones. I know that we are only at the ebryonic stage, however NZ do not look that invincible in my opinion, SA look vulnerable by their standards, France are Headscratch , well they are France so logical reason doesn't count. England to me look the slow burners and have a relatively easy group although i'm sure they will make hard work of it. Wales and Ireland are both capable of getting to the semi finals but equally capable of going out in the group stages. Some of the PI sides will show up well as usual which leaves the one team who to me who are in the boss seat and that is Australia. At the moment I think they are the only team looking like they can match what is expected of them. However, back to the question which is, do you think that this is a lower quality (not less exciting) tournament than previous RWC's which have had very strong Southern Hemisphere sides along with strong French and English sides. I guess I think the quality at the top end is lower than previous world cups - Be interested in your thoughts thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Never Mind the Quality feel the Width Empty Re: Never Mind the Quality feel the Width

Post by Biltong Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Give it a bit of time rubyguby, it is but yet in it's infancy.

The top teams didn't hit the ground running, surely not England, South Africa or France.

Australia started slow, NZ started well but then fell asleep, and well Scotland is yet to impress.

Ireland didn't look to inspired in their opening match either.

I would say Wales had the best start (forget the result for a moment) of the RWC.

But this weekend see some more competitive matches.

Ireland vs australia
Wales vs Samoa
SA vs Fiji

These should all mean these teams will have to up their performances as these games could all influence the outcome of the pools.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Never Mind the Quality feel the Width Empty Re: Never Mind the Quality feel the Width

Post by WelshinEdinburgh Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Is it not a little early to say that, teams have played thier opening games and will get better as the competition goes on. I have enjoyed the first round of matches and if the big teams are not as good so be it, would New Zealand 2011 beat New Zealand 2007? same with England etc? i would hope Wales would beat the shambles that was 2007, i also think the 2nd tier teams are vastly improved and for the first time ever this world cup looks like being a truely global competition

WelshinEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Not bad Bilton, I'll give you 7/10 - In previous world cups I've seen SA sides and NZ sides who put the fear of god into me where you know keeping them to 30 points would be a + It just doesn't seem like that at this RWC thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

It will still happen my friend, just wait and see.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm

On the contrary, I have been very impressed with the 'lower tier' teams who have definitely upped their game this WC compared to previous.

Traditionally not many of the 'big teams' play consistently well straight from the off and we all know it is the results that count.

I have to say I have been entertained by nearly all the games so far in different ways and I can't honestly say that about previous WCs.

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 pm

"I would say Wales had the best start (forget the result for a moment) of the RWC."

Biltong - nice of you to say so but that could only have come from a South African !! The big L didn't feel like the best of starts. I'll trade some performance for a fat W next time out.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:44 pm

I think NZ, Australia and France have made the strongest starts to the tournament out of the top teams.

None put in a great display by any stretch but they all played some superb rugby at times and showed the capacity to find an extra gear when needed and came away with maximum points.

SA and England both played their get out of jail free cards in games they should have lost and Ireland struggled again and were dogged by sloppy play and individual errors.

Wales played superbly but ultimately lost a game that was there for the taking and Scotland despite scrapping out two victories still are a long way from qualifying for the QF as are Wales.

Argentina look tough but toothless and without a top place kicker it's hard to see them being anywhere near the force they were in 2007.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:05 pm

offload wrote:"I would say Wales had the best start (forget the result for a moment) of the RWC."

Biltong - nice of you to say so but that could only have come from a South African !! The big L didn't feel like the best of starts. I'll trade some performance for a fat W next time out.

Offload, i think that statement could come from a great portion of the bloggers here. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Performances dont really matter only wins, and Wales for all their effort last week lost.
Though you have more chance of causing an upset, and progressing if your playing well and with confidence.
England, Argentina, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland and France, are playing rubbish at the moment.
New Zealand, Australia, and Wales look as though they could do something.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down