The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Channel 5 football

4 posters

Go down

Channel 5 football Empty Channel 5 football

Post by Kingshu Fri 16 Sep - 19:28

How can channel 5 decide to show the Fulham game last night instead of the Celtic game? Channel 5 have the Europa League rights and can pick which games to show, but how can they decide to show Fulham over Celtic?

For the average attendances for football clubs in Europe for the 2010–11 season. Celtic are 12th Fulham 68th, Celtic are one of the biggest and best supported teams in Europe, yet channel 5 opted to show Fulham instead.

Even for the neutral fan I think Atletico Madrid V Celtic would be a more intresting game than Fulham v FC Twente.

It seams to me that channel 5 will show any English club ahead of a Celtic.

Thoughts? do Celtic get hard done by on Europa League coverage?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Channel 5 football Empty Re: Channel 5 football

Post by marty2086 Fri 16 Sep - 19:33

I think all broadcasters take preference of English sides over non English sides, there is a debate over on the Rugby board how England are getting more coverage than the other nations by ITV during the RWC

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 16 Sep - 19:43

Marty I can understand the rugby (while not agreeing to it and complaining about it myself at times) as the English team brings in the most viewers, but in football terms Celtic would attrach far more viewers than Fulham, so I can't see the reason for it apart from just plain biased.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep - 19:48

Perhaps more people expect Celtic to lose, whereas Fulham/Twente is a more even game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 16 Sep - 23:34

Everyone knew Celtic would lose so what's the point of showing it?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sat 17 Sep - 1:12

Everyone knew that ManU would lose the champions League final but they still showed that

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 2:10

Everybody worth their salt knew it was going to be a walk in the park for Atletico and so it proved.

Also Celtic's participation in the competition wasn't final until a few days before last nights round of matches so I'd imagine it was out of the broadcasters thinking anyway.

A football fan will watch whatever is on offer regardless of who is playing. And what attendances have to do with it I don't know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 2:18

Kingshu wrote:Everyone knew that ManU would lose the champions League final but they still showed that

Laugh Are you really moronic enough to compare a Europa League game, that isn't even in the closing stages, to the final of the biggest European club competition?

Tbh, if you were a fan of one of the clubs you'd watch it online or in some other form. Most neutrals will just sit through any game because there's little else on offer.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Sat 17 Sep - 2:42

When did Celtic last win away in Europe?

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 2:44

ReallyReal wrote:When did Celtic last win away in Europe?

How long is a piece of string?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down