The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement?

+26
PJHolybloke
welshy824
manofgwent
munkian
youngguns6
scoi
Smirnoffpriest
Comfort
TBJ9625
samuraidragon
Luckless Pedestrian
rhino-dragon
dogtooth
funnyExiledScot
RubyGuby
Rory_Gallagher
wales606
Cymroglan
Glas a du
flyhalffactory
deadfred
glamorganalun
maestegmafia
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
RobLewis28
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement? - Page 2 Empty 'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement?

Post by RobLewis28 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fairly straight forward, if its worse case scenario who would you bring out?

RobLewis28

Back to top Go down

'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement? - Page 2 Empty Re: 'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement?

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

Tuperic is IMO an out an out 7 so I can't see him getting the nod unless, heaven forbid Warburton gets injured.

Lydiate is a 6 that can cover 7 so I would suspect if they have to call someone up it would be a more versatile type.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement? - Page 2 Empty Re: 'If Lydiates out' - Who would be your replacement?

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

I'd say it has to be Turnbull who was very good last season and looked comfortable in the WU's, and as an added bonus can cover all back 5 positions. Jon T hasn't looked good for Wales for a Long time, has only looked better at the end of the season for Ospreys, and I think it's a huge risk to call him up and expect him to re-discover int form of 3 seasons ago on the back of 3/4 Ospreys games this season.

Powell should never have been there, but he is and we're stuck with him.
I like Tupric but he's only a 7, and as has been said is a little bit smaller.
McCusker is an option but I think Turnbull is better and more consistent and covers more positions.

Delve would be very good but we all know Gats won't call him up, and (according to other posters) he's injured.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

If I'm not mistaken if we call someone up instead of Lydiate for the next 2 games and they either start or are on the bench then that means Lydiate is sent home and can not be recalled no matter what. We just need to pray Ryan is ok, and stays fit until Lydiate comes back (and pray he comes back soon).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Without Lydiate someone who covers 7 is definitely needed. Trouble is that everyone available hasnt got the experience there so a tough call. Turnball will probably get the call as he has a bit more experience and versitility.

The line up for the Namibia game will be interesting, considering RJ isnt even training with the squad its likely he wont be playing any part and considering its the easiest game then dont risk it.

Give Bradley the start with AWJ on the bench as emergency cover for the back row, Toby to 7 if Warbs needs to come off. Full front row replacements as no other choice. Hooks out so Jones and Priestland both get in the squad. Halfpenny to start at the back giving enough time to prove whether it will work or not.

Hopefully by the next game another backrower is available whether through recovery or replacement. Lack of open side is the biggest concern.

Thankfully we've been through the biggest challenges so it gives the injured time to recover before the QF (assuming the next results are positive). There's enough talent there to deal with Namibia and by Fiji some more much needed back row players will be there, the 3 fit players should easily be enough to deal with the next 2 teams but the knock out phases needs Lydiate back to give the best chance at the breakdown and to get over the gain line.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

All this talk of delve or Jt to start is rubbish. Ryan jones will play 6. Powell on the bench.

As for Danny being one of our most important players - totaly agree! Warburton looks great but it's Lydiates hard work that's given warbs the licence to do what ge does best. Both are great players and along with Toby we have a great balence to the backrow.
Tupric, turnbull and evens will hopfuly all push threw to

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

scoi wrote:Without Lydiate someone who covers 7 is definitely needed. Trouble is that everyone available hasnt got the experience there so a tough call. Turnball will probably get the call as he has a bit more experience and versitility.

The line up for the Namibia game will be interesting, considering RJ isnt even training with the squad its likely he wont be playing any part and considering its the easiest game then dont risk it.

Give Bradley the start with AWJ on the bench as emergency cover for the back row, Toby to 7 if Warbs needs to come off. Full front row replacements as no other choice. Hooks out so Jones and Priestland both get in the squad. Halfpenny to start at the back giving enough time to prove whether it will work or not.

Hopefully by the next game another backrower is available whether through recovery or replacement. Lack of open side is the biggest concern.

Thankfully we've been through the biggest challenges so it gives the injured time to recover before the QF (assuming the next results are positive). There's enough talent there to deal with Namibia and by Fiji some more much needed back row players will be there, the 3 fit players should easily be enough to deal with the next 2 teams but the knock out phases needs Lydiate back to give the best chance at the breakdown and to get over the gain line.

Ryan Jones IS back in training with the squad as far as I know
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

Thank god for that - I was getting worried when considering how threadbare the backrow is.

It will be an interesting selection as Halfpenny has to play and Byrne has to be on the bench -
Roberts needs a rest in some form, so Williams and JD2 are the only options
Jones and Priestland have to be in the squad because of Hooks injury

Back row more than likely Warbs, Toby, Powell (unless Ryan is fit), and two of Davies, Chateris, AWJ have to play, and then Jenks has to play and I'd play A Jones to build up his fitness.

So thats pretty much the team decided besides wingers and SH.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

Wyn Jones could also play 6 - according to coaching team anyway.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

munkian wrote:Wyn Jones could also play 6 - according to coaching team anyway.

When was the last time AWJ played 6 at any level? Do you know Munkian? I cant think of seeing him there bar a certain game/sore spot that sticks in all of our memories.......

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

Dont shoot the messenger Smile

Alun Wyn Jones can move back to the back-row [from lock], as can I'm sure Bradley Davies," he said. "So we have got cover, we're not down to the bare bones yet."
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

munkian wrote:Dont shoot the messenger Smile

Alun Wyn Jones can move back to the back-row [from lock], as can I'm sure Bradley Davies," he said. "So we have got cover, we're not down to the bare bones yet."

Laugh

Sorry Munkian, it was an honest question I promise, I genuinely cant think of the last time (bar the game that shall not be mentioned) I have seen AWJ at 6?

Can anyone remember him playing 6 other than... then?

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

He has previously, He is better at the break down than Bradley and offers more in defence.

Can't think we he last played in back row in an International game though

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

Yeah so can Bradley Davies according to McBryde - GOD HELP US if that ever happened.

Jt has played 7 before but wouldn't like it to happen again, that said I still think he will called up if need be.

We definately need R Jones to play soon but reports say he trained alone again so might not be ready for Namibia.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

I'd be happier to have AWJ covering 6 against Namibia than Ryan rushing back and getting injured for rest of tournament.

Im pretty sure Toby has covered flanker a few times...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:22 pm

Anyone else think gatland is regretting taking brew instead of an extra back rower? Brew's a great regional, but I wouldn't have taken him.as he can't cover any other position. Martyn Williams or turnbull should have gone for me. Been impressed with turnbull and thought he was unlucky. It seems even more strange considering there was talk that Ryan jones might not have even recovered. If warburton picks up a knock, who will cover him? We won't get away with playing players out of position in the later stages.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

I'd say Martyn Thomas from the Dragon's squad but then I really don't want to lose anymore players Crying or Very sad

I'd be surpised if if Brew didn't start agasint Namibia to rest Shane or North.

North def needs a rest
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

Comfort wrote:

When was the last time AWJ played 6 at any level? Do you know Munkian? I cant think of seeing him there bar a certain game/sore spot that sticks in all of our memories.......

To the best of my knowledge, the last time Alun Wyn Jones played blindside was in the warm-up game at Twickenham in 2007 when we got absolutely smashed.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Man of Gwent - I think if Gats had taken Turnbull instead of Powell then it wouldn't have mattered that Brew can only play 1 position. But it is a worry, especially considering that Ryan Jones is not only our only cover for 6, but for 8, 4, and 5 as well (if one of our locks gets injured).

I do hope Brew starts and does well against Nambia as I think he's physicality and work rate will come in handy against Fiji

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

I do hope Brew starts and does well against Nambia as I think he's physicality and work rate will come in handy against Fiji

clap
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

I think most of us from dave were pleased Brew got the nod but also surprised that he got it.

I was expecting a 17-13 split with an extra back rower in place of Brew.

Now he's there I hope he gets start against Namibia
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think most of us from dave were pleased Brew got the nod but also surprised that he got it.

I was expecting a 17-13 split with an extra back rower in place of Brew.

Now he's there I hope he gets start against Namibia

Hes there, so we need to use him, same with Byrne, otherwise what was the point in taking them and the 16/14 split?!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

I'm glad that there's a more even representation between the regions (though I suppose Blues are suffering), but it's taken long enough for Lydiate, Charteris (whose been in and out of the squad) and Toby to be chosen, and Tovey (and Smith) still haven't been.

But lets just hope he gets a chance and does well - as then we'll have some real depth in the back 3 (halfpenny, North, Stoddart, Byrne, Brew, Priestland, and even Tovey)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:39 pm

Afternoon campers

Just a quicky looks like Turnbull has picked up a shoulder injury
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15007860.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I think Ryand Jones will start at 6 with Powell at 8 against Namibia.

I was informed by a few Scarlets that McCusker is having a good start to the season so could be the better replacement option for Lydiate as he covers all the backline.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

delve and jones are injured according to the bbc report- delve has had a knee op and R jones has injured his knee again,

on that basis would it be better to bring someone in for R jones (as long as lydiate is back for 1/4s) as i would rather have a fit lydiate than a fit RJ

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

Thats not good news Welshy and FHF - Turnbull was my choice for replacement and I was looking forward to having RJ as good cover for 6, 8 and lock. Without him we'll be heavily reliant on Powell Shocked even if we call someone else up, and it also increases the likelihood that we'll call up JT Shocked and suddenly our backline of Warbs, Toby and Lydiate is turned into Toby, Powell and JT - in my opinion that turns it from a strength into a liability as you've got nobody doing the dog work at the breakdown and disrupting play.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Smirnoff,

We could most probably get away with that for the Namibia and Fiji game but if we get to the quarters then we have to have Faletau and Warburton with whoever is deemed best of the rest if Lydiate is out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

According to Wales on line today R Jones took full part in training so I don't know the knee injury referenced above. The problem with the new papers they are old news.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/09/21/in-pictures-wales-in-training-as-they-prepare-to-face-namibia-at-rugby-world-cup-91466-29461330/

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

glamorganalun wrote:According to Wales on line today R Jones took full part in training so I don't know the knee injury referenced above. The problem with the new papers they are old news.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/09/21/in-pictures-wales-in-training-as-they-prepare-to-face-namibia-at-rugby-world-cup-91466-29461330/

bbc- said warburton sat out with a sore knee but will be fine for nambia, lydiate icing his ankle every 2 hours and r jones was training on his own today in what seems to be a reccurence of his injury (meant calf)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:23 pm

Why haven't we taken cover at openside. It's a specialised position and if warburton has a knock, we should have a replacement for him. He should be able to sit out the Namibia game.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:14 pm

Lydiate's out for a minimum of 3 weeks - that's what I heard.

That's the rest of the tournament isn't it?

laughing

Shocked Uh-oh

Run
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

PJHolybloke wrote:Lydiate's out for a minimum of 3 weeks - that's what I heard.

laughing

Shocked Uh-oh

Run

Steady................else the ghost will get you

Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

I could never understand taking Powell when you could have takend Jon T, Josh T, MWilliams, J Tupric (sp) or even Delve and they would have covered more positions including open side and done a better job than Powell (maybe Tupric & Williams wouldn't have covered more positions but you have Toby, Lydiate and Jones to cover 6)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

I would have taken Gavin Thomas before Powell, even Lewis Evans who's looking a good prospect - I may have chosen my Granny before Powell but she struggles in the contact area, same as Powell and she goes to ground early same as Ryan thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

True G Thomas would have been a much better option than Powell, I'd have even chosen Jon Edwards ahead of Powell

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

Apparently R Jones is fit to face Nambia which is really good news http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14783195.stm

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

andy powells minder wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:Lydiate's out for a minimum of 3 weeks - that's what I heard.

laughing

Shocked Uh-oh

Run

Steady................else the ghost will get you

Very Happy

I wish to negotiate :waveswhiteflag:
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

There is no room for negotiation die you xastard Yahoo Drool

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

Shocked
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

PJHolybloke wrote: Shocked

Great expression thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Ligament damage is usually 4-6 weeks, is it not? I think, sadly, you could tell from Lydiate's reaction on the bench that it was going to be a bad one. Really hope a miracle occurs and he's back for the potential QF.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

It can be from 2-6 weeks, depending on which ligaments were sprained.
Ligaments are tissues that hold bones together. They help you to be able to walk, twist and turn. Treatment and recovery time depend on the type and cause of the sprain.

Treatment includes controlling your pain and swelling first, then beginning rehabilitation . Rehabilitation includes physical therapy exercises. These may be done over a number of weeks A treatment plan may include one or more of the following:

-R.I.C.E.: R.I.C.E. is a four-step treatment plan that you can follow. R est, I ce, C ompress, and E levate to decrease swelling and help it heal:

* Rest. The most important part of treating an injury is rest. You may be told to keep weight off your knee (do not use it to walk). Rest helps decrease swelling and allows the injury to heal. When the pain decreases, begin normal, slow movements.

* Ice. Ice causes blood vessels to constrict (get small) which helps decrease inflammation (swelling, pain, and redness).

* Compress. You may need to wear an elastic bandage. This helps keep your injured area moving too much while it heals. You can loosen or tighten the elastic bandage to make it comfortable. It should be tight enough for you to feel support.

* Elevate. Lie down and elevate (raise) your knee to a level above your heart to help decrease the swelling.

Just do what you have to do Dan - Anthing to stop the Buggy Boy running on the field thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wood Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

I remember playing 6 against Rumney 4th's quite a few years ago. Didn't do a bad job either. If they're struggling they can always give me a shout. Wink

The Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

AWJ started as a 6 and Toby can cover 7. Though to be honest in the quarter finals i would want them in their specialist positions.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

Martyn Williams during the half time interview said he had been speaking with a few of the lads in the Welsh squad and they reckon Lydiate will be ok.
At least I think that's what he said.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

manofgwent wrote:Why haven't we taken cover at openside. It's a specialised position and if warburton has a knock, we should have a replacement for him. He should be able to sit out the Namibia game.

Someone average like Nugget perhaps. i would like to see Warbs and AWJ on the bench v Namibia, play TF (7), AP (6) and RJ (8). AWJ can cover 4, 5 and 6. Warbs only then has to come on if there is an injury to TF.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

I was watching Scrum V earlier and Nugget was on and he was asked the same question, who should they call up for Lydiate and he said,

Talking to some of the boys who are out there hes going to be alright anyway"

Hopefully thats true and Lyds will be back to help us against the irish in the quarters as long as we dont blow it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:05 am

I think that might be a misquote, and talking about him being alright was referencing his mental state. Nothing to do with the injury; I think it's still very 50/50 atm, or at the very least, they know he's likely to be out, but want to give him time to see if the Pacific air can heal him as well as it did Drew Mitchell/not give anything away to potential opponents.

Ryan 8, Powell 6 and Faletau 7. Sorted. Give Faletau a rest around the hour mark when the game is won, maybe Ryan to 7, AWJ 6 (proper makeshift), and just keep playing what should be by then a game with little structure and running rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:17 am

Either way Wales be foolish to play him until the QF now. If RJ can stay fit then we have cover with AWJ there to do a job when required. he still has to Oct 7 to rest assuming we are RU in the group

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 24 Sep 2011, 9:04 am

Gatland said.
In terms of Dan Lydiate, he's recovering really well at the moment. He's up back on his feet, doing a bit of jogging around so hopefully he's not too far away," Gatland said.

That's good news.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

Cymroglan wrote:Gatland said.
In terms of Dan Lydiate, he's recovering really well at the moment. He's up back on his feet, doing a bit of jogging around so hopefully he's not too far away," Gatland said.

That's good news.

Amazing news. I am delighted with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2