The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you support the team you do ?

+22
Crimey
dyrewolfe
AlexHuckerby
Nay
Atila
Jammy31
Shot 21 LCFC
sodhat
ADMIN
Kay Fabe
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
davidl1061
JDandfries
TwisT
boomdangle
Derbyblue
davidprice
marty2086
westisbest
Thomond
Luke
Kenny
26 posters

Go down

Why do you support the team you do ? Empty Why do you support the team you do ?

Post by Kenny Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

Why do you support the team you do ?

Is because they are your home town team ?
or
Is it a family thing ?
or
Were they just the team you picked when you started watching football ?
or
Is there another reason ?

for me i support Liverpool because my Dad did i used to love going to Anfield with him and now i take my son .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Why do you support the team you do ? Empty Re: Why do you support the team you do ?

Post by Luke Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

Nobody in my family likes football apart from me, so agreed with my mum that when i was 13 could go to watch the local team. Moved to Hull when 12, So became a Hull city fan for my sins.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Why do you support the team you do ? Empty Re: Why do you support the team you do ?

Post by Thomond Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:10 am

I support Cork City as they're my home town team and because my dad used to take me.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

I support Villa, my family on my dad's side all do, I also used to live in Birmingham.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

When I became a football fan it was when Giggsy was first breaking through and loved watching him play so followed Man Utd, I did support Celtic for a while too because thats who my Dad supports but wised up early on king

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by davidprice Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

I support man united because they win the most

davidprice

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:27 pm

Support Carlisle United because of my dad, he used to take me and my brother to a couple of Derby games a season but eventually we had the option of watching Carlisle live or nothing.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

I am Southend because there my local team, the primary school were given free tickets for the Anglo italian Cup if anyone remebers that, losing 2-1 at home to foggia and i was hooked haha.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Ebbsfleet United because they are my hometown team.

Former FA Trophy winners...watched the game at Wembley.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

I am from York, but I support Liverpool because my dad told me to, and they were the best team around when I was growing up!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

From Stockport but moved to Bury when I was young. My dad was a City fan but couldnt afford to take me there so we went to Gigg Lane and been a shaker ever since

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:33 pm

I'm a Celtic fan. Coming from Glasgow I only had 2 choices and all my family are Celtic fans so it was sort of made for me. Dad got me a season ticket when I was 5 so I never really had a choice.

I have always preferred boxing though, a lot of the rubbish that goes with the old firm has put me off over the years.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:41 am

Celtic

My local team

All my family support them

My great great uncle played for them

A guy who became one of my mums best friends played in the clubs most famous game

My Dad took me to my first game when I was three to watch the team parade the League Championship Trophy

I've been going to games regularly since 1991, I've had a season ticket since July 1993

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

Man Utd.
At the age of I think four my dad took me along to Old Trafford to see Utd v Spurs.
My dad even though born and bred in the North West had always been a Spurs fan, due to his school team playing in a similar kit and Spurs at the time being one of the biggest clubs (did the double in 61). He hoped that the match would spark an interest in football and we’d watch Spurs together, the likes of Hoddle, Ardilles and Villa etc.
Utd won 3-0. My decision was made there and then. Very rarely did I get to go again but I waited until my 16th birthday and saved up for my own season ticket, the very first year of the Premier League and Utd’s first title in 26 years. The year after I got to see the King and Utd lift the double.
Nowadays the season ticket is no more, a wife and two kids put paid to that, now I get to take the eldest along to watch Macc Town instead, hardly the Theatre of Dreams but he enjoys it nonetheless and every now and then we go up to Old Trafford.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

How much does it cost for you ans your boy to go to a Maccs game?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

I ended up supporting West Ham for a variety of reasons...but it was a close call for a while, and I could have ended up supporting some horrible North Londoners.

I was young when I got into the game and all my friends were West Ham fans, they are the closest 'big' team near me and my dad was completely neutral so it left it up to me.

I don't regret the choice at all, it's never boring, at least!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Born in Leicester so support Leicester City. Should be simple enough but not quite. I moved over to Ireland for a few years when I was younger, and everyone over there loved Man Utd, so being English I took them on as my team. I had Utd shirts and even have an Utd cup somewhere lol!!

We moved back to Leicester however, and I just slowly tunred. I stopped being interested in Man Utd games and wouldnt be that bothered if they lost. I started going to a few Leicester games and I knew that is where my heart would lie. I remember we beat Grimsby Town 2-0 in a game and I lost my voice through all the chanting and shouting.

In ways, life would have been so much easier if I had stayed with Utd. But instead I settled for the highs and lows (mostly lows lol) of being a Leicester fan because there is nothing better than supporting your hometown team.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

When I was about 6, and began to follow and understand football, my dad said I could decide who I wanted to support. I didn't really know, and so asked him who he supported. He told me, and so I'm now a Queens Park Rangers supporter.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

Luckily for me, my Mum bought me a school bag when I was a kid, it had Manchester United printed on it. I was only 8 at the time I didn't know much about them. One Friday, me and a friend were walking home from school and he was telling me that his team..Liverpool, were going to beat Man U in the FA cup final the next day. Like I said, I was young and didn't even know what the FA cup was.

The next day the final took place and United won 2-1 and I've followed them ever since. That was the 1977 Cup final.

My school friends who supported Liverpool got plenty of laughs at United's and my expense during the late 70's and 80's but who's laughing now? Why do you support the team you do ? 810156456

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

Support Rangers as dad did,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm

Nay Bother wrote:Support Rangers as I'm hideously ugly!

Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

raspberry

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Couldn't resist it mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Support Leeds, I'm from Leeds, I like Leeds, in fact I love Leeds, Leeds is my birthplace and Leeds is the place I've lived my whoel life... So I support Leeds.

Leeds.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 8:29 pm

Do you have good honest broadband?

Do you have an older relative who drives a lawnmower down main roads while wearing his pyjamas and bathrobe?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 02 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Support Leeds, I'm from Leeds, I like Leeds, in fact I love Leeds, Leeds is my birthplace and Leeds is the place I've lived my whoel life... So I support Leeds.

Leeds.
If I supported the team from where I was born then it would be Preston North End. From my bedroom window I could see part of their ground and our streets used to fill up with cars on match days, I could walk to their ground in about 15 minutes, but for some reason I never got 'into' them. I'd like them to one day get into the Prem but I prefer Man United to win rather than Preston. I've actually been to Old Trafford to see United more times than I've been to Deepdale to see Preston.

The one time I went to Deepdale to watch a full game, Bobby Charlton was the player manager. Damn, I feel old. Why do you support the team you do ? 1230366233

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Support Leeds, I'm from Leeds, I like Leeds, in fact I love Leeds, Leeds is my birthplace and Leeds is the place I've lived my whoel life... So I support Leeds.

Leeds.

Im going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you support Leeds...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:58 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:

Leeds.

Im going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you support Leeds...

I'm glad you picked up on my subtle approach.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

JDandfries wrote:I am from York, but I support Liverpool because my dad told me to, and they were the best team around when I was growing up!

WHAT?!?! I thought you were a Boro fan? Shocked

I support Southend as I was born there and have followed Middlesbrough since 1987 as I lived on Teesside for 13 years.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

I think he was joking dyre.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

the-gaffer wrote:How much does it cost for you ans your boy to go to a Maccs game?

It's gone up this season, last year it was free for under 12's, now I have to chip in a couple of quid each for them (my youngest rarely tags along though). Where I usually sit it's £18 for me, I can get in for £13 but I'm with the sweary lot then which unsurprisingly I don't want near my kids.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

Dad supported Pompey (cycled to Wembley for the 1939 Cup Final!), I grew up there and first game saw Pompey 5 vs Arsenal 2.
Supported Pompey ever since (used to stand at the Milton End through thick and mostly thin.
And now my son supports Pompey also. Even though he has lived in America all his life - except when a student in England and made a 6-hour return pilgrimage to FP several times.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

england because i have no other choice- i am english.
dont really support club team, but like to see my local one do well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm

Supported West Ham since 1968 when Hammers beat Sunderland 8 - 0. We haven't replicated that result often since Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

Supported Crawley Town since my dad took me to an FA Cup 2nd Qualifying round match between Crawley Town and Bromley in 1996 (I was 10.)

We lost 0-4.

Went to the odd game but my interest was playing the game (badly) rather than watching it, and spurning the interests of my Chelsea supporting family.

Rekindled my interest during the famous (ish) FA Cup run of 2002-03 when as a Southern League side we went from the 2nd Qualifying round to the 2nd Round proper, captivating stuff for a 16 year old, highlight was the 1st Round replay at home to Tiverton, 0-2 down with 20 minutes left and won 3-2.

The following season I was a regular as I got a proper job, freeing up my saturdays, conveniently Crawley Town won the Southern League that year and won promotion to the Conference National.

Have driven to some very far away places to watch Crawley Town lose, York City we left Crawley about 4am, arrived at Bootham Crescent at 9am for the 3pm kick-off, lost 5-0, left York about 4:55pm, got home around 10pm. Wouldn't change anything about that day!

Now because we have success it's "Where were you when you were Poopie?" laughing

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down