The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support Rugby or support a Team?

+9
Cyril
aitchw
Bathman_in_London
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
AlastairW
HammerofThunor
Hound_of_Harrow
maestegmafia
Irish Londoner
13 posters

Go down

Support Rugby or support a Team? Empty Support Rugby or support a Team?

Post by Irish Londoner Sat 05 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

Reading some of the threads on 606 about casual rugby fans, is there a floating mass of people out there who will go to watch any rugby rather than to support a specific team?
Do you support a club side or will you go and watch any game that interests you?[left]

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Support Rugby or support a Team? Empty Re: Support Rugby or support a Team?

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

I don't live near my team anymore so I bought a season ticket at Bath as it is the nearest club.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm

I'm a Wasps sth and a social member at Ealing. However if both are away on a given weekend I have gone to watch London Scottish or London Welsh* if there isn't a game on TV that appeals.

* Sadly not any more as they are not playing at Old Deer Park.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:56 am

Fair way to any professional rugby (union) sides. Used to go see Tigers play when my brother lived in Leicester. Go see Ospreys if visiting in-laws. I'll watch any English rugby on tele (if I have the channel).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:33 am

Quins supporter, lived a stones throw from the Stoop for a long time. Moved out to the home counties, and it's still a quick 20 minutes jaunt down the M3.

I'll quite happily watch any game on the tele box if there's little else on, and find myself occasionally dragged to Richmond for London Scottish games by a mate of mine, so managed to keep up on the Championship here & there this year as well.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:21 am

It's an awful long way to travel to Crusaders/Canterbury/Tasman/RenwickRFC matches (especially as the rugby gods have conspired to give the Crusaders 2 bye rounds while I'm on holiday in NZ next month - I fly out of Christchurch 3 hours before they play their opening match in Auckland steam )

While I've adopted Exeter as my Jeff team, I happily attend matches as and when I can - living in London I've been to Ealing, London Scottish, London Welsh, Quins, Wasps, Sarries and London Irish home matches over the past couple of seasons, and not just for Chiefs away fixtures. This year will be my 3rd HEC final in succession, plus I've been to HEC/Amlin games in Llanelli, Cardiff, Bath and Exeter.

On top of that I have been to a couple of 6N matches, several AI's and Baabaas games (including some not involving the ABs) and most years I go to the IRB 7s at Twickenham.

I have a goal of attending an international and a club match in each of the 6N while I'm living in the UK Very Happy

Teams I've been to see play in matches over the past 3 seasons:
International:
NZ
Aus
Eng
Sco
Wal
Ire
SA
(plus lots of 7s sides

SXV
Crusaders
Highlanders

AP
Exeter
Quins
Tigers
Bath
Sarries
LI
LW
Gloucester
Worcester
Saints
Wasps
(ie everyone except Sale)

Other Eng
London Scottish, Newcastle, Esher, Ealing, Jersey, Blackheath, Richmond,

Pro12
Blues
Scarletts
Dragons
Munster
Leinster

Top 14
Stade Francais
Clermont

Other
Barbarians, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere (Help for Heroes charity game)

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

I support a team but as per my username, I don't live near it!

I just enjoy the sport and will happily watch other teams play. In particular Quins, who are my nearest top level club. But I have also been to Richmond and London Scottish on occasion and am near to Rosslyn Park too.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm

Carnegie supporter but watch all the rugby I can on tv, any side, any competition. Hell, I've even watched Edinburgh on Alba with gaelic speaking commentators. Now there's dedication for you!

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

As a keen Ospreys fan it's a shame I live so far away from my beloved side. I'm coping as best I can though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

I am a proud Welshman and will watch any rugby I am in the mood for, so weather that be my local side or a regional side or a team from the Welsh prem I will watch them, I usually cherry pick what regional games I fancy then go and watch them, but I do not support any region in particular, I am starting to warm towards the Ospreys though and I will go and watch them mostly out of the four regions, but as my old man is a mad as hatter Cardiff supporter he is always trying to drag me down to the cap to watch them, but at the moment they are so shoite I just cannot be bothered. He was going mad on Saturday night though. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

As suggested by my username I'm not in my home province, but will try and see them any time I'm at home.

I managed to get a job working for Glasgow Warriors so have adopted them as my team!

Been to see plenty of internationals over the past few years here in Scotland and in Aus (Seen NZ x3, SA x2, Aus x2, Ireland x2, plus a whole pile of Sevens games.)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 07 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

I am a Scarlets support through and through, to the point I arranged my Wedding so that it was during the AIs so I didn't miss any games.

However, I remember when I was a teenager I went to see Wales V Baabaas, and as I was having a smoke waiting to get onto the coach, I heard two English accents. When I asked them what they were doing catching a bus to Pembrokeshire, they said they were on hols in Tenby and desided seeing as they liked rugby to go to Cardiff to see the game. They said something along the lines of "We like rugby so we go to see rugby if we can, no matter who is playing".

Since then if I am away somewhere and a decent game is on I will try to go and see it. SO far I have been to watch the Dragon V Sale in the LV= and Blues v Bristol in the HEC, just because I was in Newport for a long weekend whent eh games were on.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:01 pm

I'm a Tigers fan (managed to go to the Gloucester game over the Xmas break while back home) but I have a season ticket for Glasgow as they play at the end of my road. I used to watch Newcastle play when I lived there and if I move somewhere else I'll follow the local team.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down