The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad

+7
time please
Jahu
Josiah Maiestas
noleisthebest
lydian
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
11 posters

Go down

Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad Empty Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad

Post by socal1976 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

BELGRADE -- World No. 1 Novak Djokovic could be out for a month after tearing a muscle in his back during his Davis Cup tennis loss to Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro, his spokesman said.

"He has a partial muscle rupture and some internal bleeding," the spokesman, Edoardo Artaldi, told German Press Agency dpa Monday. Djokovic will have another scan Thursday.

Djokovic likely is to be out for four weeks, but Thursday's scan will provide a definitive answer, Artaldi said.

Djokovic told the Serbian news agency Tanjug that his injury while playing Sunday for Serbia "is not as bad as it initially seemed," but it nevertheless brought into question his appearance at tournaments next month in Shanghai and Beijing

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/20/1503036/djokovic-out-with-injury.html#ixzz1YVfcJHCk

Well torn muscle in the back and internal bleeding doesn't sound good, if I was Novak I would just shut it down for the rest of the year, screw it there is no way nadal can catch you for year end #1 you have a 4000 point lead in the points race just shine off the rest of the year and give yourself some room at the end of next year to make up points during the indoor season. Shut it down Novak, no late season heroics are needed. Show up to AO ready to defend.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad Empty Re: Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:24 pm

I would have thought the Paris Masters and Year End are reasonable goals. If he's fit again, it would be silly to not play them.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad Empty Re: Djokovic injury up date sounds pretty bad

Post by Guest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:26 pm

Shut down for the rest of the year? Are you crazy? There's still more than 2 months left. He should rest fully and come back for the Paris masters as preparation for the WTF. Taking the rest of the season off will only make hime lose his competitive edge.

Besides, I wanna see him play Fed on some indoor courts. I've got a feeling that Fed will be too much for him to handle indoors.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

I don't know this is the perfect excuse to just shut it down he is in insurmountable points lead right now, and even if he loses it at the start of next season he will have an entire indoor season next year to regain the year end #1 in 2012 with no indoor points to defend. He isn't going to be playing for a month so he should just shut it down till next year and maximize his rest. Come back in Sydney.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Why would he want to stop playing if he is fit to play in 2 big tournaments? He doesn't seem the sort to shy away from a challenge and the longer a player is out of competetive tennis the harder it is to get back into form.
Not only would he miss a great chance to cap a great year, it would probably have an effect on his first 3 or 4 tournaments of next year, if he didn't play for 3 1/2 months.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:39 pm

The other problem is that you can stop playing for TOO long and lose your rhythm completely. A ruptured muscle with internal bleeding isnt that bad, it just sounds bad. He'll repair quickly in that oxygen capsule anyway ;-)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

I don't know, I wouldn't play around with a back injury. I am of course not a doctor if he gets medical clearance for the european indoor season that is fine. But if there was any doubt about a back injury I would shut it down and fast.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting he should play if injured, but if he's fit, then not playing would be a mistake.
I doubt he thinking about ending his season, more likely trying to get fit again as soon as possible to get playing again.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

My point is this if there is any chance of further aggravation he shuts it down and maybe starts up early next year playing Sydney, or Auckland, or Adelaide to get his timing as best as possible for the AO. Everyone is going to be a bit rusty for AO, at least he goes down to Australia in peak physical shape. Lydian is right there is always an issue with shutting it down for too long. But I have had back problems myself and came back too soon with disastrous results. You got to be real careful with backs and knees. I am just saying he should be extra cautious. This davis cup match was a huge mistake in scheduling the first one he has made all year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

The injury description sounds like a glorified bit of bruising and that should clear up 100% in under 3 weeks for someone young and fit as Nole. 4 weeks just for good measure in case there was any stress on the back;full recouperation, put a bit of lost weight on, rest those sore, depleted muscles.
Paris Masters was very fast last year, not sure it would be great to return there.
He'll probably come back in Shanghai, skip/tank Bercy and do WTF,

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

That isn't what it sounds to me, the part that sounds real gruesome is the internal bleeding. I mean if you have to take a month off and come back at the end of the season with a month left to play, just shut it down, you probably won't be in top form when you comeback anyway.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 20 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

Bit of bruising? In Srbija they'd have you in intensive care unit with 24 hour supervision. Shocked
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

And ship the egg chamber next day before 10am with UPS Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

muscle tears are so painful, but it shouldn't take too long to recover.

Hopefully he is not tempted to come back too soon and will miss the Asian swing if he is sensible!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

noleisthebest wrote:The injury description sounds like a glorified bit of bruising and that should clear up 100% in under 3 weeks for someone young and fit as Nole. 4 weeks just for good measure in case there was any stress on the back;full recouperation, put a bit of lost weight on, rest those sore, depleted muscles.
Paris Masters was very fast last year, not sure it would be great to return there.

There are times when I want to hug you.

You are unquestionably the most even-handed person on the forum (apart from me of course!).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

socal1976 wrote:That isn't what it sounds to me, the part that sounds real gruesome is the internal bleeding. I mean if you have to take a month off and come back at the end of the season with a month left to play, just shut it down, you probably won't be in top form when you comeback anyway.

That's exactly what a bruise is.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Muscle strains and bruises are OK for someone so young - what they need to do is identify why the muscles are taking the strain and either do more work on core strengthening or try and get Djoko to change something to balance out or remove the strain. What he needs to be wary of is whether this is an early warning sign that in addition to the muscles other less easily repaired parts of his body are experiencing the same strain (ligaments, bone, cartilage and so-on) which could develop into a bigger longer term problem.

Sensible sportsmen take injuries of this type as a useful early warning - Djoko is lucky that he has less pressure and more time on his hands because of his sterling exploits this season than if he was involved in a real dogfight for No. 1 or something else.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Ah well, if he bails out now it's a great pity as his season will have tailed off badly having at one point looked capable of threatening the great seasons of McEnroe 1984 and all that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:Ah well, if he bails out now it's a great pity as his season will have tailed off badly having at one point looked capable of threatening the great seasons of McEnroe 1984 and all that.

If Djokovic stays unbeaten till the end of the year, he still has a shot at McEnroe's 82-3 record. Currently he is 67-3. Hope he recovers soon and properly. The DC attempt was premature. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

John lost 4 that year I think.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

No, JMac had 82-3 as stated.

Fed had 81-4 in 2005. He lost the last match of the season to Nalby, WTF

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

laverfan wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Ah well, if he bails out now it's a great pity as his season will have tailed off badly having at one point looked capable of threatening the great seasons of McEnroe 1984 and all that.

If Djokovic stays unbeaten till the end of the year, he still has a shot at McEnroe's 82-3 record. Currently he is 67-3. Hope he recovers soon and properly. The DC attempt was premature. Sad

Mac's record is looking very secure, almost impregnable - to come back from injury and win three tournaments on the trot including the WTF and one possibly two Masters tournaments would be a huge ask at the end of such a year. Also, the indoor season courts suit Murray and Fed who have plenty of points to fight for, have shown that they are capable of beating Djoko, and have played much less than Djoko so far.

In the current tennis regime with the compulsory Masters tournaments having such a concentration of the top players it's arguable that Djoko's year is up there with Mac's 1984 anyway - although Mac played and beat Lendl and Connors consistently during his run.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

emancipator wrote:No, JMac had 82-3 as stated.

Fed had 81-4 in 2005. He lost the last match of the season to Nalby, WTF

Not sure about those figures. Federer would have beaten McEnroe's record, not equalled it had it beaten Nalbandian in the masters.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

They're definitely correct. He would have equalled Mac had he had beaten Nalby.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

barrystar wrote:
laverfan wrote:

Mac's record is looking very secure, almost impregnable - to come back from injury and win three tournaments on the trot including the WTF and one possibly two Masters tournaments would be a huge ask at the end of such a year. Also, the indoor season courts suit Murray and Fed who have plenty of points to fight for, have shown that they are capable of beating Djoko, and have played much less than Djoko so far.

In the current tennis regime with the compulsory Masters tournaments having such a concentration of the top players it's arguable that Djoko's year is up there with Mac's 1984 anyway - although Mac played and beat Lendl and Connors consistently during his run.

That's a joke, right? I'm sure there must have been a half decent player under 23 in 1984.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

[quote="bogbrush"][quote="noleisthebest"]The injury description sounds like a glorified bit of bruising and that should clear up 100% in under 3 weeks for someone young and fit as Nole. 4 weeks just for good measure in case there was any stress on the back;full recouperation, put a bit of lost weight on, rest those sore, depleted muscles.
[/quote]

There are times when I want to hug you.

You are unquestionably the most even-handed person on the forum (apart from me of course!).[/quote]

kiss Hug

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Very Happy bb and nitb - get a room already! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:
barrystar wrote:
laverfan wrote:

That's a joke, right? I'm sure there must have been a half decent player under 23 in 1984.

Mac played and beat Wilander three times in 1984, one of those was in a best-of-three set dead rubber in the DC final. He played Lendl 7 times losing once, and Connors 6 times winning them all.

Djoko has played Fed 5 times (4-1), Murray 3 times (2-1), and Nadal 6 times (6-0).

I wasn't joking - but it's obvious that Mac's year was pretty high quality on any basis.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Well lets remember one of the reasons that Martin tinkered with Novak's serve was that he believed it put too much strain on his back. The martin experiment on serve was a disaster, but he could have been onto something. He does have a lot of back torque and that is part of the reason he has such a good kick second serve. I think he has to get even more flexible if it is possible for plastic man.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

I am not sure about the serve putting strain, but the splits on every surface must.

Really Nole was very tired coming into US and it is a testament to his wonderful season that he was able to pull it off at all. His season looked to have caught up with him at Cincy and tired muscles are much more susceptible to strain.

A good rest and he will be back as strong as ever, I'm sure.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

All he needs is platelet-rich plasma and he'll be back as fresh as a daisy.

Bionovak Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

I hope so timeplease, I doubt he will be able to comeback and play as well the last month of the season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

Maybe not the rest of this season socal but he has 3 slams and 5 Masters this year - the JMac record would be the icing, but not the substance of his year.

He will go into next year knowing what he achieved, not once but on several occasions and hopefully he will be sensible enough to look ahead now, I am sure Vaida will be on his behalf.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down