The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Heavyweight tournament final

+8
No1Jonesy
tcribb
captain carrantuohil
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
HumanWindmill
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
12 posters

Go down

606 Heavyweight tournament final Empty 606 Heavyweight tournament final

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

The last round is now under way. Get your votes in. If your are going for a points victory could you please state UD/SD/MD and judges scorecards it makes it easier to get a general opinion. If you are going for a stoppage please pick a round. Cheers thumbsup

Unfortunately the final is a bit of a fore gone conclusion but that's Rowleys fault he did the draw! Wink

The Final

Muhammad Ali vs Lennox Lewis

Next up the light heavies unless their is a weight any one would rather see done before that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

606 Heavyweight tournament final Empty Re: 606 Heavyweight tournament final

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

Ali over the long haul.

Similar, I should imagine, to the Terrell fight though margins finer. Lennox probably has the ' wrong ' heavy artillery to upset Ali, and the best Ali can keep Lennox off balance and off his game.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Ali over the long haul.

Similar, I should imagine, to the Terrell fight though margins finer. Lennox probably has the ' wrong ' heavy artillery to upset Ali, and the best Ali can keep Lennox off balance and off his game.

Windy my Mum always told me to respect my elders so how do I say this? Read the rules you daft old sod Wink give me a scorecard please it makes it easier to gain an average.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

Sorry, kev.

It's rapidly approaching Horlicks time. Ali by UD, somewhere in the region of 144 - 141.

You don't need the colour of the judges' socks and the types of pen they used, do you ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Haha.
It does just make it a bit easier to get an average margin for the victory. Thanks thumbsup
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

You're welcome, Sir.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:53 pm

Don't see a single area where Lewis is superior to Ali, to be honest, with the exception of punching power. As Ali withstood the tests of Liston, Foreman and Shavers, I think we can safely say that Lewis carrying more whack in his shots isn't going to be too big a spanner in the works for the 'Louisville Lip' here. Lewis holds the centre of the ring but Ali's in and out speed is too much for him. He beats Lewis to the punch, establishes and early foothold in the battle of the jab and picks away at Lewis, who has some success but not enough to turn the tide.

Can't for the life of me see anything other than an Ali points win here, without any controversy to boot. Ali by something along the lines of 145-140.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

Ali may struggle a little with lewis height, reach and jab......However Lewis was a lot slower than Ali and as alluded too..took the shots of Frazie and Foreman....

I think if aq one dimensional plodder like Frank can give Lewis the amount of trouble he did...you can only really give Lewis a punchers chance..

Wider than Windy in more ways than one....

146-141.....with two even..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

I'm going to crack on with the Light heavies tomorrow because there is no doubt about this one.

Ali by KO imo. To quick to skilful and enough power to flatten Lewis. Lewis I could see trying to keep Ali at range behind his jab but I can't see him landing many right hands. Ali's movement would have been a nightmare for Lewis. I could see Ali dancing around Lewis peppering him with jabs and straight right hands for 3 or 4 rounds then putting on the pressure around the 6th and getting the stoppage in the 7th.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:03 pm

Ali stops Lewis late on for me, not without his struggles along the way. Lennox has a sledge hammer of a right hand and i'd fancy him to connect and possibly drop Ali at some point.

The fight is a lot closer due to teh physical attributes of Lewis than it otherwise would be if they more similar in stature.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

The Ali of 66 beats any year of Lennox that you like by a virtual shut-out, for me. I'm pretty sure that I've given the reasons on a million different threads. 148-137 on all cards, as Ali coasts a bit in the last couple of rounds.

Onwards to watch Truss not pick Ezz over Foster because he never held the title!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

A tentative affair, don't think Ali would enjoy Lennox's physical stature as he didn't with Kenny Norton, however Lewis's work rate combined with the factor Ali had the sternest of jaws makes it almost impossible to pick Lennox, Ali trailing at half way, picks up the pace and stops Lennox 13th rounds and onwards.

However Joe Louis cleans both clocks.

Thanks very much
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:34 am

Ali was not un-hittable

I see a very chess like fight with Ali trying to get a few shotsoff before moving out of range

Actually see the fight and result going the same way as Ali - Frazier 1

Lewis by Decision!

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

Ali UD 145-141

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

From 1965-1967, Ali pretty much was unhittable. Lewis is far too slow, and throws far too few punches, many fewer than a Frazier, to get near the best Ali. If we must go with the post-1970 vintage Ali, then it's closer, but Ali's chin enables him to weather the occasional storms, while he still does enough work to befuddle Lewis.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

Can't see Ali struggling too much with a guy who will stand off him, Ali's chin should be enough to stop him being taken out in a couple of shots, wins it with movement and speed. Not a big enough puncher to take Lewis out, 145-140.

Make sure you ask around on Twitter for opinions too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

I feel much the same way, captain.

I'd back Ali by fairly wide decision in the earlier days, however I feel it would be very close, possibly even a 'pick 'em' against the post-1970 Ali, where the same speed advantage wouldn't be so prominent - giving rise to Lennox's physical advantages.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:From 1965-1967, Ali pretty much was unhittable. Lewis is far too slow, and throws far too few punches, many fewer than a Frazier, to get near the best Ali. If we must go with the post-1970 vintage Ali, then it's closer, but Ali's chin enables him to weather the occasional storms, while he still does enough work to befuddle Lewis.

Could that be because other then Liston - none of the other boxers he fought between 65 - 67 had no business being in the ring with him?

I'd be surprised if Lewis lost a round to the same fighters Ali fought in them years.....

Also Ali had been down - even Cooper put him down so it don't wash about because he had a great chin he wouldnt be put down or out - any heavyweight can be put down or out if the right punch is thrown and it's not beyond Lewis to be able to do it (whether it happens or not is another topic) as said to Windy in another thread - a boxer can take a mighty shot of one boxer and see it through where a shot from a different boxer will have a different effect. Does cooper hit harder then foreman?? Hell no but he put him down non the less

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Ali paid the penalty against Cooper for playing the fool and not actually paying attention (in 63, mark you). Ali was in fact floored four times in his career, but his powers of recuperation on each occasion were exceptional. Lewis would have had his work cut out trying to finish him in the unlikely event that he was able to nail him in the first place.

At his peak, trying to hit Ali was like trying to pick up mercury with a fork. I can assure you, incidentally, that Liston, Ernie Terrell and Zora Folley would have taken more than the occasional round off Lewis. They were highly viable contenders, a good way ahead of the Mavrovics, Briggses and Grants of this world, and easily on a par with a shot Tyson and a fading Holyfield.

In common with almost everyone who has ever looked at the heavyweights in any depth, I find it simply impossible to imagine Lewis catching up with the Ali who reigned between 65 and 67. You are clearly a great admirer of Lewis, which is fair enough. It's my opinion that it is greatly to overrate him to suggest that Lennox was in that kind of class.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

I should add that on a technical note, if you were to take Ali down, you needed a left hook, the punch that was responsible for all three of his bona fide trips to the canvas (I barely count that stumble against Wepner). Lennox didn't really have that punch in his arsenal. There never was a jab and overhand right merchant born who could have beaten Ali at his best.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

Apologies when I said other then Liston i didnt mean he would not and is not capable of winning rounds from Lewis - and duely noted he was a very worthwhile contender for Ali - well before hindsight and the whole phantom punch situation!

Terrell and Folley IMO would have taken hardly a round from Lewis at the time they fought Ali - and seeing as neither of them did nothing of note since the loss does put them on par with Tyson....

With your last note I can only refer back to the what a boxer can withstand from one fighter does not mean the same for another - thats just boxing.

I know neither of us are going to see eye to eye over this but I can understand why you would choose Ali - just not for me

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

Scottrf wrote:Can't see Ali struggling too much with a guy who will stand off him, Ali's chin should be enough to stop him being taken out in a couple of shots, wins it with movement and speed. Not a big enough puncher to take Lewis out, 145-140.

Make sure you ask around on Twitter for opinions too.

I will do later on everyone is going on about Warren just now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Muhammad Ali although the greatest heavyweight of all time never faced a boxer who was as good as Lennox Lewis who had the power, jab, adaptability and boxing skills to match anyone. Foreman hit harder than Lewis but didn’t have the boxing skills to beat Ali and win the tactical exchange but he would struggle with an intelligent boxer like Lewis. Ali would win rounds against Lewis with his speed and combinations but I think Lewis would get the better off him with his pistol like jab while landing right hands and uppercuts. Ali’s granite chin and heart sees him to the finish whilst taking the most punishment in his career but Lewis takes a close decision.

144-141 Lewis

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Lewis with the slight physical advantage would cause Ali problems and unlike Foreman, Lewis wouldn't gas himself out or be mentally overawed by facing him.

With that said, Ali being who he is will always find a way to win the majority of the rounds between the two, so this one goes the distance every time as Ali doesn't catch Lewis enough to stop him, combined with him winning the close rounds being more busier of the two.

I presume its over 15 rounds which benefits Ali more so would give him 4-5 round margin of victory. 145-141.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

I'll use the 606v2 account to ask on twitter, kev, more publicity for the site.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down