The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

long time reader first time poster!!

+9
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
EnglishReign
Luckless Pedestrian
polotechnics
andy powells minder
boomeranga
MunsterMac
Effervescing Elephant
Haskell's ego
13 posters

Go down

long time reader first time poster!!  Empty long time reader first time poster!!

Post by Haskell's ego Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can help me. What is that god awful noise when they kick to restart a game at the RWC. its a noise then everyone sorts of cheers it drives me mad. The french have it when they play at home.

If anyone can enlighten me what it is thanks in advance

Haskell's ego

Back to top Go down

long time reader first time poster!!  Empty Re: long time reader first time poster!!

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

Do you mean that sort of bugle call followed by a cheer? They do it at all sporting events now. Think it's something corporate? Really grips my shizzle.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

long time reader first time poster!!  Empty Re: long time reader first time poster!!

Post by Haskell's ego Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

yeah thats the one. They do it in cricket as well. It really bugs me. Seriously do they have to play it after every score??

Haskell's ego

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

It's a French thing.

They've been doing it for all the French home matchs for all the years I've been watching rugby.

I think the 'tune' originally comes from Spanish bullfighting.

Last edited by MunsterMac on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:31 am

Didn't realise it was a french thing. I first noticed it during the the IPL. IT'S EVERYWHERE!! So irritating.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Haskell's ego Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

I thought it was a french thing. But like you said Munster its in the IPL cricket in England its bloody everywhere. I dont get it why its on at the WC. Got to put up with it though.

Haskell's ego

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

Damn you all. I've never noticed it, but it'll probably invade my dreams now!

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Isnt it from an earlier WC? or am I dreaming, c'mon wheres the ghost when you need him, bet he would know
Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by polotechnics Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

It something that originated at the 2007 World Cup in France I believe.

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

In fairness I don't think it's that bad.

The whole thing (in rugby at least) last for all of 5/6 seconds.

It's not like those bloody Vuvuzealas (spelling)!!!

Or for that matter being at any French sporting event where there's always a brass band who play for the entire duration of the match.

I had the misfortune of being right beside one a few years ago at a basketball match and by the time the match finished I was deaf and had a thumping headache !!

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

The crowd all shout 'allez!' don't they? I first heard it in France, years before the World Cup in 2007 but I think that's when everyone else started doing it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

I think they actually shout 'Ole!'.

As I said earlier it originally comes from bullfighting

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

It comes from Spain and is heard in the local Spanish "ferias", which means feasts.

The trumpet sound is the beginning of a famous Spanish "paso-doble", paso-doble (two step) being a typical piece of Spanish music played by "wind" instruments (trumpets, saxophones, etc) and suited to the sound, drama, and movement of the Spanish bullfight.

The words of this paso-doble beginning are: "Toca, toca la guitarra, Manuel" (Play, play the guitar, Manuel). At the end of the trumpet sound, everyone shouts "Olé", which is a typical Spanish shout heard especially during the "corridas" (bull fighting) when the torero is doing a very good "pass" (yes, it is the same word as in rugby.)

French rugby, which is mainly played in the south west of France has taken a lot of music, songs from Spain or Spanish "ferias".

-Jean-Roger Delsaud (Midi Olympique)

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

It seemed to kick off at the 07 France RWC. Suddenly it's everywhere; I remember watching a Glamorgan v Glos t20 game and it was played every half hour. Crops up at every sporting event now, it would seem.

Don't mind it personally, jus a bit of fun and gets the crowd going.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

EnglishReign wrote:It seemed to kick off at the 07 France RWC. Suddenly it's everywhere; I remember watching a Glamorgan v Glos t20 game and it was played every half hour. Crops up at every sporting event now, it would seem.

Don't mind it personally, jus a bit of fun and gets the crowd going.

So dwarf tossing, cant we have that instead?
It does sound horrible when watching on TV and get tired very quickly.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

It's this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EQMJVW/ref=dm_dp_trk17

I quite like it, short and sharp, gets good crowd participation, and a hell of a lot better than most other jingles like Tom Hark for instance.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

I quite like it actually its something very different. What really annoys me though is when they play music inbetween stops in play. I only noticed it in the South Africa match today it made me put most of the match on mute mad

I dont remember it any other matchs though, anyone know anything about that?
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

They’ve been playing it after a score in the RDS for years.

I like it!

OLE!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:It seemed to kick off at the 07 France RWC. Suddenly it's everywhere; I remember watching a Glamorgan v Glos t20 game and it was played every half hour. Crops up at every sporting event now, it would seem.

Don't mind it personally, just a bit of fun and gets the crowd going.

So dwarf tossing, cant we have that instead?
It does sound horrible when watching on TV and get tired very quickly.

As I said, I don't mind it personally whether you find it horrible or not.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

I like it if I'm honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down