The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye bye Scotland?

+34
Enforcer
monty junior
HammerofThunor
GangGreen
GLove39
Gatts
doctor_grey
EnglishReign
sexton_style
21st Century Schizoid Man
yappysnap
GunsGerms
Shifty
R!skysports
bathmad
Artful_Dodger
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
emack2
LordDowlais
TheDukeofCool
nathan
lostinwales
BATH_BTGOG
RuggerRadge2611
Boyne
flyhalffactory
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
RubyGuby
rodders
Manky-Flanker
Portnoy
38 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bye bye Scotland? - Page 2 Empty Bye bye Scotland?

Post by Portnoy Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Sadly, I think so.

Argentina just have too much weight and power and if lacking everything else in the backs, they have an organised defence.
Can't see any soltaires waving at full-time.

Possibly they could beat England on passion - and especially if it's raining. They do well in inclement weather.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Bye bye Scotland? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bye bye Scotland?

Post by Shifty Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

Neither team can create anything, neither team is on form, neither team is confident... both are poorly coached, and Contemponi is in terrible form with the boot.
Argentina have a decent pack though, and I doubt Scotland will hold their own against it.
Narrow win for Argentina.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Was`nt it 2009,when every one said Scotland would play a kicking game versus England.Came out running,lost a key player and England were happy to settle for a Draw.
Or not so long ago Scotland had no chance versus France or England and beat them both.
This is a RWC,not at Twickenham or Murrayfield this is on neutral ground.
Are they playing England in Dunedin?if so the weather,and turf problems are over for both sides.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

I reckon Argentina will win but it would be nice to see the Scots do really well.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

I'm backing Scotland to beat Argentina.

I'm also backing them to lose by more then 7 to us.

So it's going to come down to the Scotland/Argentina scoreline for who is in second place, can Scotland pile on the points to make sure they get in to second place?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

Outplay England when? You haven't beaten England since 2008 and that was in Murrayfield. You haven't beaten England at Twickenham for over 20 years. I realise the match isn't at Twickenham but England win most of the time vs Scotland.

What side wager have you got in mind fly half factory?

Has Jackson ever manipulated your backs? I thought Scotland showed attacking abilities against France but that played into their hands and they comfortably beat you.

England took down Argentina playing badly. They crushed Georgia playing badly. Imagine what they could do to Scotland if they play well.

The only aspect of Scotland which worries me is the backrow. Also if it rains which will play into Scottish hands.

Scotland are arguably the most boring side in international rugby. Your best wins were when you scored no tries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

...or England play Tindall, who was crap 10 years ago and now is crap and slower !

Back to top Go down

Post by sexton_style Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

Scotland v Argentina can go either way, do not rule Scotland out.

Scotland are a good side and are capable of beating Argentina, yes Argentina put in a really good performance but to be fair it was against a nobody country.

Scotland have the players, but the changes they have made might be a bit of a risk, leaving Kellock out could prove costly.

However it's a big game and should be exciting to watch, can see Scotland winning it by 5 or so points.

sexton_style

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:04 pm

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

[quote="flyhalffactory"]
beshocked wrote:Outplay England when? You haven't beaten England since 2008 and that was in Murrayfield. You haven't beaten England at Twickenham for over 20 years. I realise the match isn't at Twickenham but England win most of the time vs Scotland.

What side wager have you got in mind fly half factory?

Has Jackson ever manipulated your backs? I thought Scotland showed attacking abilities against France but that played into their hands and they comfortably beat you.

England took down Argentina playing badly. They crushed Georgia playing badly. Imagine what they could do to Scotland if they play well.

The only aspect of Scotland which worries me is the backrow. Also if it rains which will play into Scottish hands.

Scotland are arguably the most boring side in international rugby. Your best wins were when you scored no tries.

Are you mad?............. Jackson is well known for getting the backline moving, its one of his strengths

Are you mad?............. Boring!!. you dont have to score tries to be exciting, when we beat Australia there was no tries but a very exciting 80 mins.

Scotland have won 5 games on the bounce even tho we are playing poorly, but certainly not winning and playing as poorly as you are.

England IMO have deserved to win only 3 of their last 5 games (Wales in Cardiff, Ireland and Georgia).

What I have seen is England stuttering against Wales in Twickenham, beating a rusty Argentina side who 99 times out of 100 would never miss the kicks they did, and not exactly set the world alight against Georgia (lets be honest the scoreline flattered you).

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:37 pm

yappysnap wrote:I'm backing Scotland to beat Argentina.

I'm also backing them to lose by more then 7 to us.

So it's going to come down to the Scotland/Argentina scoreline for who is in second place, can Scotland pile on the points to make sure they get in to second place?

Even if we only beat Argentina by one point we guarantee ourselves at least second place. Then the England game is a straight shoot for 1st place, winner takes all.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:46 pm

On the Scotland vs England debate, I'm pretty relaxed conceding that England are the better side with the better players (certainly in the backs).

The recent history between the sides doesn't say a lot though and in recent years it's been pretty even, with Scotland typically prevailing at Murrayfield and England winning at Twickenham. In terms of recent form however (and I'm talking performances rather than results) England are clear favourites. They are 6 Nations champions after all, and we were scrapping to avoid the wooden spoon.

We will cause England problems though. England give away alot of penalties when on the back foot and Paterson won't afford England the same courtesy misses as Contempomi or the Georgian 10. We are also a good side at the breakdown, an area where England haven't quite got it right. However, there's no denying that in Youngs, Tuilagi, Ashton and Foden, England have more dynamic and attacking backs than we do, and more crucially, in Flood or Wilkinson, a better platform for those backs.

I don't think the losing side will be more than 7 points away from the winning side. That's as brave a prediction as I'll make.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:58 pm

On neutral ground, England everytime v Scotland. England have been poor but have come away with good wins. I always think Scotland have a decent side and they they go and lose to Wales at home, or scrape past Georgia.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

I have a feeling Scotland pulls this out. Don't ask me to provide any basis for this prediction. This is simple gut instinct combined with a wee bit of emotion and wishful thinking. But I expect the match to be decided by the Scotland back row who I think will have a huge match. And there, I think Scotland have a solid advantage. And Paterson will keep the points ticking over.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

Scotland will win with the boot

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

I think Scotland will win, it'll be very close but we will come out on top. My prediction Scotland by 4.

One of the big areas of the game to me is how Contepomi preforms, a key player and captain of the Pumas. I wonder about his rib injury and just how well it's healed? I'd imagine that if Argentina were playing Georgia this weekend they'd rest Contepomi, however due to what is at stake he's playing regardless. As such I'd like to see Scotland target him, in particular to get players like Kelly Brown and John Barclay to inspect his ribs as it were... Whistle

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
I would say we are more concerned with the threat of the Pumas than England, we have already proved we can more than outplay them over 80 mins, we just need a playmaker at 10. If we manage to take the win against Argentina we should be able to take England if both teams are on form.
Absolute twaddle. Laugh If both teams are 'on form' you actually think Scotland are better than England? Jeebus! England showed how to dismantle Romania earlier and put a big score on Georgia while playing poorly. Argentina will probably do a number on the Scots and if England fire, which I think they will, they will comfortably beat Scotland. Just my opinion of course. Cool Maybe you should stick to annoying the Welsh in the Hook/Jones debate Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Hmm, England score 16 tries against Georgia and Romania collectively and concede 13 points. Scotland score 4 tries against them collectively and concede 30 points. I know that means very little in the grand scheme of things but you have to admit, it's looking ominous for the Scots.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by GangGreen Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

I've got nothing at all against the scots and want them to go through over the pumas however I cannot see how they could beet England in the final game. Our backs had Romania in their pockets today and our scrum stood up very well. To memory Scotland's scrum was in full retreat against Romania and it took two tries scored in last few mins to win compared to England 10 tries and only a pen conceded. Can't see Scotland beating us on that evidence.

GangGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
I would say we are more concerned with the threat of the Pumas than England, we have already proved we can more than outplay them over 80 mins, we just need a playmaker at 10. If we manage to take the win against Argentina we should be able to take England if both teams are on form.
Absolute twaddle. Laugh If both teams are 'on form' you actually think Scotland are better than England? Jeebus! England showed how to dismantle Romania earlier and put a big score on Georgia while playing poorly. Argentina will probably do a number on the Scots and if England fire, which I think they will, they will comfortably beat Scotland. Just my opinion of course. Cool Maybe you should stick to annoying the Welsh in the Hook/Jones debate Wink

Sour Cream
You don't ever say anything of note do you?

So you didnt see the last encounter between us and England then, who was the better overall team on the day?. Havent yet watched the match this morning but apparently England were very good and are coming into form at the right time, so will always give them credit, and I fell they will get to the final. However I feel we are a playmaker (at 10) short of been a pretty good team, hopefully Jackson will crank it up tomorrow, and then I'll chat to you about 11am on 1st October.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

So you didnt see the last encounter between us and England then, who was the better overall team on the day?

England. They won. That's how you judge who was the best team on the day. In fact that's kind of the whole point.

It'll be tough game but hopefully a good one.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

GangGreen wrote:I've got nothing at all against the scots and want them to go through over the pumas however I cannot see how they could beet England in the final game. Our backs had Romania in their pockets today and our scrum stood up very well. To memory Scotland's scrum was in full retreat against Romania and it took two tries scored in last few mins to win compared to England 10 tries and only a pen conceded. Can't see Scotland beating us on that evidence.

Fair analysis GG, but I will assure you that will not be our pack come next week. Have to say I havent yet watched the English match this morning but apparently you were the complete outfit today. The match between us (as normal in any match) will be won by the forwards.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
So you didnt see the last encounter between us and England then, who was the better overall team on the day?

England. They won. That's how you judge who was the best team on the day. In fact that's kind of the whole point.

Most rediculous statement yet.

For example you played Wales.......... the WC warm up Cardiff, you had massive possession and mucked about five try scoring opportunities, you were by far the better team yet you lost............. however 99 times out of 100 you would have taken that game.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Thats obvious - England were. Scotland competed ferociously on the ground and tackled like demons but were completely toothless in attack, Max Evans touch of skill or no.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

GangGreen wrote:I've got nothing at all against the scots and want them to go through over the pumas however I cannot see how they could beet England in the final game. Our backs had Romania in their pockets today and our scrum stood up very well. To memory Scotland's scrum was in full retreat against Romania and it took two tries scored in last few mins to win compared to England 10 tries and only a pen conceded. Can't see Scotland beating us on that evidence.
Was that the Romania side with 10 changes from when they played Scotland? Was that the Romania squad that are saving themselves for their 'big' match against Georgia in 5 days time?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Thats obvious - England were. Scotland competed ferociously on the ground and tackled like demons but were completely toothless in attack, Max Evans touch of skill or no.

Toothless in attack OMG !!

We had more possession, more territory, more yardage gained.............. what are you on about man?

Do you mean we didnt have free flowing backs 🤦
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:55 pm

It means you never looked like scoring a try - ever.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

I wouldn't bother about the Ingurlund fans at the moment, we were poor for the first couple of games but we've got into a winning habit and with our recent results. However their nothing more than an ok side, better than us but certainly not significantly so. If we win tomorrow then it's an all out final game, which would be great to see and i'd think we'd have a chance. Though Jackson HAS to run more at the line.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

For example you played Wales.......... the WC warm up Cardiff, you had massive possession and mucked about five try scoring opportunities, you were by far the better team yet you lost............. however 99 times out of 100 you would have taken that game.

No, Wales were the better team because they scored more points. There's a reason why it's called a win when you get more points. You don't get points for style or possession or territory or many other things. They're irrelevant.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

No, Wales were the better team because they scored more points. There's a reason why it's called a win when you get more points. You don't get points for style or possession or territory or many other things. They're irrelevant.

TAXI...............
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:03 pm

Probably for the best. Glad to see you own up to your craziness.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:03 pm

lostinwales wrote:It means you never looked like scoring a try - ever.

So in your bright eyes

Not scoring a try means you are the worse team ..................... Rolling Eyes
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Probably for the best. Glad to see you own up to your craziness.

Mate don't be immature

I have never in my life read someone stating that

"Never has the better team lost"

Grow up
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

Grow up for thinking the team that scores the most points is the best team? Headscratch

The only way the best team loses is if a TMO decision is clearly wrong for the last play of the game and the resulting points win the game. Anything else is just part of the game.

Against Wales, England had the territory and possession but couldn't score. They may have fluffed chances but they didn't take the points and therefore didn't deserve them. Wales took their chances and manned up in defence. Fair play to them. They were better on the day. If you think that makes me childish fair enough.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

The immature remark was
HammerofThunor wrote:
Probably for the best. Glad to see you own up to your craziness.

Lets not flower this with "England did this" and "Wales did that"

You stated

"The best team is always the team that wins"

As I said I have heard some corkers in my long life, but that is probably the most rediculous statement I have ever heard.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Care to give some examples of where the best team hasn't won? And of course say why.

And how is mistakenly thinking you were calling for a taxi for yourself childish? And if it is then surely the call for the original taxi was itself childish. Is it a case of "takes one to know one"?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

ok Hammer

If you asked a 1000 people who was the best team between England and Wales in Cardiff a few months ago, I would say 99% would have said England.

Scotland when we lost to Wales two years ago, even the Welsh said we were the better team and but for the two serious injuries (Evans and Paterson) and the dubious sending off .................

There's two for you,
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

Scotland were the better team for the majority of the game, but when it came to the important thing (scoring more points) Wales were better.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

Injuries and refs are part of the game. Both have massive impacts on most games. But a team has to deal with them to win. If you don't you're not good enough.

How were England the better team against Wales when even with all that possession and territory they couldn't score enough points to win? You seem to suggesting that defence doesn't count as good play (I don't want to put words in your mouth).

How exactly to you determine who was 'best' side then. Just who you feel like based on your spectators view? Stats?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

Enforcer wrote:Scotland were the better team for the majority of the game, but when it came to the important thing (scoring more points) Wales were better.

So are you saying the best team won?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

In terms of scoring points yes, the best team won.

On a subjective matter such as performance then they might not have. But, as Thunor saying, stopping a team from scoring is as much a skill as scoring.

If team a has 85% possession and territory but lose to team b 14-0, who is the best team? You could argue team a, but team b managed to keep them out and took their chances.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

Ok

Enforcer I could have taken you round your city that evening after the match and both sets of fans (100s of them) said the same thing............ except for a few of course!.

Right I get off that topic ....... and get back onto the thread.

I think we will get to the quarters, its going to be a hard task particularly against the Pumas, but if our 10 gets the backline moving we have a chance
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Enforcer wrote:Scotland were the better team for the majority of the game, but when it came to the important thing (scoring more points) Wales were better.

So are you saying the best team won?

Have to agree Flyhalf.

a)The object of game is to end the game with more points than the opposition by scoring points and preventing them from scoring points.
b) Wales better fulfilled that objective by finishing with more points!

This article is rather premature. I expect two close games and I see Scotland as capable of finishing anywhere between third and first in their group.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

I don't know what scares me more. Scotland win and come to us with confidence and going for topping the pool. Or Scotland lose and they're pumped up to force their way into the quarters. Either way it's probably going to a hard game (and hopefully a good one).

May the best team win Hug

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 24 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

Argentina will beat Scotland by a single score 4-7 points I reckon.

I'm thinking England will beat Scotland by considerably more, around 20 points?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
lostinwales wrote:It means you never looked like scoring a try - ever.

So in your bright eyes

Not scoring a try means you are the worse team ..................... Rolling Eyes

Well scoring tries isnt everything but can be sort of important if the other team is scoring tries and you are not. In THAT game put it down to English defense or whatever but Scotland played wonderfully well in so many aspects except the ones that mattered

I'd just add that Scotland have often been my 2nd favourite team. I grew up watching and admiring Finlay Calder and the white shark (and others) in the 6N and its amazing how often Scotland seem to produce top class back rows and scrum halves. An uncle of mine even played for a Scottish representative team post 2nd world war (he was in a Scottish regiment)

Last edited by lostinwales on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding some stuff)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

Scottish lad was telling me this afternoon about the two wins down in Arg under Robinson (as i had commented how awful AR was coaching Eng).

To be fair you don't go down there and win too easily, so they must have edge on Arg.

He reckons they will win easily.

As for Eng-Scot, we'll have to see. If it's played at tempo I fancy england but a grind could go either way.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 24 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

Hate saying this laddies but I have a very bad feeling about tomorrow. Not helped by the result/performance in the Rado at Firhill last night and I have no doubt Laidlaw will have another blinder for Edinburgh in Italy tonight to rub in the very obvious point that he should be starting v Argentina (at 9 or 10).

Anyhoo a beer breakfast beckons - please lads lets have a good performance whoever wins. C'mon the Scots ! Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 24 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

I have a cat called Kevin who has psychic powers.
Tonight for dinner i am going to give him scottish salmon and argentine steak. Obviously i don't want to build up anyone's hopes but I think it's a pretty reliable test for who is going to win.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 24 Sep 2011, 6:53 pm

Gatts,

make sure the steak is Aberdeen Angus will you ! Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

If Argentina manage to keep 15 players on the pitch (something they've failed to do on 3 of the last 4 occasions), they will be too strong for Scotland I fear.

Scotland will have to take every 3 point opportunity they get and that's where I think Parks' abscence will be felt most, particularly in terms of drop goal opportunities.

Jackson may be a better option for running the ball, but I'm not sure that's Scotland's best option. England have a better defense than Scotland and Argentina breached it almost at will, if Scotland chuck it about and someone gets isolated and turned over, Argentina will fill their boots.

I can't see past Argentina - What's the moggy say Gatts?

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next