The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we not giving Morales enough credit?

+5
AlexHuckerby
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
skidd1
Fists of Fury
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
9 posters

Go down

Are we not giving Morales enough credit? Empty Are we not giving Morales enough credit?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

Hey hope your all having a swell Saturday night lads!!

Bit bored watch Monroe fight some pastie and this wee thought came into my head.

Since his comeback he has fought a few expected lower class fighters to get back into the swing of things, like any fighter on the comeback would.

But his fight with Maidana which I had him winning by 2 rounds was automatically quashed by a lot of people saying it was a lucky night. But "world title" fight last week against Cano, who for me seemed like a half decent prospect (still should have been anywere near a world title fight.) and Morales, even though the first 2-3 rounds were a bit slow, showed he is still capable of serious damage.

Now, I know it was an unproven fighter he was up against, but if we look at say Khan vs Barrera, Morales to me is nowhere near as shot as Barrera and I think he could still have some questions to ask at Light Welter. For me he just needs a couple of rounds and then he shows the brilliance he has pleasured us with throughout the years.

So should we give him a bit more credit, for the way he retired after being destroyed by Manny, he has showed the class which is needed to get back into the publc domain.

Thoughts lads?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Are we not giving Morales enough credit? Empty Re: Are we not giving Morales enough credit?

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

I think he deserves more credit, yeah, reborn.

As you say, Maidana got lucky in my opinion and I had El Terrible winning that one by a solitary round, the performance shocked me after I had tuned in expecting to see Morales splattered all over the canvas inside 5 rounds.

Cano was very tough but nowhere near skilled enough, and whilst I think Morales would lose handily to Khan (too big, too fast), he has enough left to give anyone else problems in my opinion. He looked sharp and like he possessed a decent dig at the weight against Cano.

So I am certainly giving him all the credit he deserves, and I sincerely hope he can put in another magic performance or two, given that he is one of my favourite fighters of the modern era.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Are we not giving Morales enough credit? Empty Re: Are we not giving Morales enough credit?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I think he deserves more credit, yeah, reborn.

As you say, Maidana got lucky in my opinion and I had El Terrible winning that one by a solitary round, the performance shocked me after I had tuned in expecting to see Morales splattered all over the canvas inside 5 rounds.

Cano was very tough but nowhere near skilled enough, and whilst I think Morales would lose handily to Khan (too big, too fast), he has enough left to give anyone else problems in my opinion. He looked sharp and like he possessed a decent dig at the weight against Cano.

So I am certainly giving him all the credit he deserves, and I sincerely hope he can put in another magic performance or two, given that he is one of my favourite fighters of the modern era.

Cheers Fists!

A lot of people seem to be more concerned talking about how shot he is.

Well a shot fighter gets beat by prospects which lets face it, thats what Cano was. And a shot fighter gets blew away by Maidana. I have actually enjoyed watching Morales' comeback and look forward to seeing his final days being active!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:59 pm

I think he still has a bit left, obviously he isn't as quick as he used to be at his magnificent best, but surely nobody in the right mind can expect him to be as dynamic as he once was. I'd love to see him get a win against a big name, he thoroughly deserves it and it'd be a nice way to end a tremendous career.

Like we alluded to earlier, it would seem that both me and you believe he should already have a win over a relatively big name in Maidana.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

I struggle with wanting to see him fight again.
I know how good he was .True warrior
Magnificent fighter.Brave as you can get but not the fighter now that fought Barrera
Destroyed by Manny and in my opinion should have left it there
Would prefer to see him in retirement

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 24 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

Obviously past his fantastic best, skidd, granted, but do you not get excited every time he fights? I look forward to watching him, even to this day he is guaranteed entertainment, and just a fighter that I loved to watch over the years.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:59 pm

He got a title shot he never deserved. At the time I thought he beat Maidana but I gave him every close round because I wanted him to win watched it a few times since and have had Maidana winning each time.

Mexico's first 4 weight World champion but lets face facts it wasn't the proud money for Mexican boxing it should have been. Great in his prime but sadly that is long gone.

I'm glad he's not fighting Khan because Khan would hurt him which unfortunately is going to happen to Morales shortly if he doesn't pack it in when he's on top.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

No doubt Kev, but to be fair he's making the ost of what he has left and most fighters that are as past it as him wouldn't have come close to beating Maidana, though I had him winning it by a round and most fighters wouldn't still be winning world titles at this point, even though he lucked out by not having to face Matthyse.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:26 am

He may have lucked out but it looks like he's going to be facing Bradley which is even worse for him imo. Bradley will stop him imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:29 am

Most probably but for a guy who retired and did a comeback in the way he has when you can see how much slower and older he is and not even able to make the right weight division you have to say hats off.
But facing Bradley is going to be teak tough, see him getting beaten badly in that one but one last decent payday I guess. If this was Khan facing Morales everyone would be crying I wonder how people will react to Bradley facing him?
I'm guessing no fabled Bradley-Pacqiaou then?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:31 am

Bradley has said his legal troubles are over and he's fighting Morales next then he wants Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

Why not just take on Khan now? Unless it's something contractual... But fair enough at least he's saying he wants to take Khan. Interesting I could see it happening at 147 now instead, If Bradley takes back the WBC though then I could possibly see it happening at 140 to become Undisputed LWW and Khan may stall his movement up to 147 for it and I wouldn't blame him. 4 Belts on the line means more money than a fight at 147 for no belts surely? If Khan still wants to take this on.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:41 am

Khan wanted the fight with Bradley so much that he offered Bradley 50% of the UK TV money. Bradley like his fellow American Alexander give the impression they never really wanted it.

If Bradley does want it then I think Khan will take it. He isn't the most likeable of guys but he isn't a ducker and wants to prove himself to be the best.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:45 am

Yeah but what I'm wondering is will Khan feels there's nothing left for him at 140 after Peterson even though there is the big one? I don't think he's a ducker at all he went right after Bradley like you rightly said, but this was ages ago and Khan may have moved on in his head, especially considering he has gone it engrained into his brain that he is going to be fighting FLoyd within the next year.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:50 am

GBP know how to market a fighter look at Ortiz the guy is pretty poor. A win over Bradley would put Khan in prime position for the Mayweather fight
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

Wouldn't go so far as to say the guy is poor, but he isn't the greatest, he only got the shot because of how amazing the victory over Berto looked. Because Berto was so hyped up everyone thought Victor was amazing, also the fight was great making him incredibly marketable. It showed in the PPV numbers. 1.4 Million almost as much as the 1.45 million Mayweather Mosley brought in and Mosley had been a major name for ages coming off a great performance against Marg.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

He looked poor when he quit against Maidana, beat a well past it smaller man in Campbell and drew with Peterson. Like you said Berto was a hype job and all of a sudden Ortiz beats him and is fighting the best fighter of his generation and pocketing reportedly $5m in the process. It's mental but GBP can market a fighter like that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:12 am

I heard he pocketed $2.5 mill, well thats what Floyd said. With 1.4 million PPV buys Floyd must have made a killing!!!!! Good business smarts on that dude.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

Floyd said $70m.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

I dont really like seeing him around still. If he steps in with one of the better light welters I have a feeling he will get badly beaten and I would hate seeing that as hes one of my favourite fighters.

The Maidana fight was a fair indication of where he is at. Perhaps not shot to bits and with has something to offer but certainly a pale reflection of his former self. Morales would have crushed a limited Maidana style fighter back in his prime and try as I might the best I could give him was a draw in that fight and that was scoring it with bias.

He still looks a little a fleshy at light welter and it would seem to me he could make lightweight without too much hassle. I have a feeling we will finally see a Morales v Marquez fight at some point, espeically if Marquez can perform credibly against Pacquiao.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

I think both Morales and Holyfield deserve a bit more credit than they receive but it's obviously overshadowed at the moment by health concerns. I think it shows the signs of a great fighter, same with Hopkins, to compete at the level they do at their age. Morales has to pick his fights more carefully though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:44 pm

i would have liked to see morales vs mattyesse, it would have been a good test to see how much he had left.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Morales is my favourite fighter of all time, I want him to quit now.
I watched the Maidana fight through my hands as I was expecting Maidana to hurt him and I knew Morales would be too proud and would go out on his shield.
However El Terrible reminded me that a clever boxer should beat an athletic boxer. Morales won the fight in my opinion by 2 rounds. Maidana's youth and chin got him through the fight and showed quite clearly for me, a young Morales defeats any of todays guys at LW.
He would still give Khan a good fight, Khan is a superb athlete and phenomenally quick but I still thin khe is a bit basic in his movement. I think his lateral movement is non existent but Roach will improve this. Khan needs to learn the finer points of the game. He would learn against Morales and should have against Barrera except he got that disgraceful cut decision. Khan would be very heavily favoured to win but it would be beneficial.

Oh and I don't think Morales can ever get enough credit. The embodiment of the Mexican fighter.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down