The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 slam winners?

+15
bogbrush
time please
hawkeye
yummymummy
luciusmann
newballs
noleisthebest
barrystar
Jahu
lydian
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
Liam_Main
eraldeen
19 posters

Go down

2012 slam winners? Empty 2012 slam winners?

Post by eraldeen Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Who do you think will win the slams?

Australian Open: Djokovic
French Open: Nadal
Wimbledon: Djokovic
US Open: Murray

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

2012 slam winners? Empty Re: 2012 slam winners?

Post by Liam_Main Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

Australian Open: Federer
US Open: Djokovic
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

A: Djokovic
F: Djokovic
W: Tsonga
US: Dolgopolov
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

Dolgopolopolopolopolov Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:04 pm

I love JM's odd fixation with our fried from the Ukraine with bad skin. But JM with all due respect, the dog isn't getting anywhere near a grandslam in 2012. If he does, I will come on this website and proclaim you the greatest tennis mind of all time.

My predictions:

Australian: Novak
French: Novak
wimby: Murray
USO: Novak

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Australian: Nadal due to Novak 2011 injury/burnout carryover
French: Novak
Wimby: Nadal
USO: Novak

(dont see the other guys besides Nole and Nadal getting a look in basically as these two for me have now pulled away from the rest)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

Fed
Nadal
Murray
Djoko
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:41 pm

Aus: Fed
RG: Djoko
Wimbledon: Nadal
US: Murray

Fed's best chance is Aus, because Nadal has only 'peaked' for it once.

RG is a tight one for me - I think Djoko will really want RG to complete his set, and this year he had Nadal's number on Clay - but the faster balls make him more vulnerable to Fed

Wimbledon: another tight one - I have Djoko shagged out

USO: we live in hope, eh?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

There will definitely be 1 surprise slam winner next time round Socal, it's exponentially inevitably set in stone appletini
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:There will definitely be 1 surprise slam winner next time round Socal, it's exponentially inevitably set in stone appletini

Fauxneighneigh?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

Don't think other than Nadal you can say a 10% guaranteed winner on a particular surface but here goes anyway:

Clay - Nadal (no brainer)
Grass - Djokovic/Federer/Nadal (take your pick from 3)
Hard - Djokovic ahead of Federer/Nadal with Murray outside chance. Would expect Novak to win at least one with Nadal likely to win the other.

Would give (possibly) Djokovic and Nadal two slams each.

Interesting one though is who wins the Olympics? - my heart says Federer and then he'll be able to call it a day.

Murray? Sorry but clay very unlikely and I can't see him winning on grass as a first slam. He's got to be in with a shout at either the Aussie or the US Open on his best surface but I still have my doubts he can pull it off.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:29 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:There will definitely be 1 surprise slam winner next time round Socal, it's exponentially inevitably set in stone appletini

Yes, but of all people you pick the dog? Don't know, wouldn't be my top darkhorse, but hell stranger things have happened Ale

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Fed at W, I don't see it.

He is more vulnerable on grass than at the other slam surfaces.

His return game on grass is abysmal

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:53 pm

This is a really good thread, although quite tricky to decide on.

Aussie Open: Fed
R. G. Djokovic
USO: Nadal/Federer/Djokovic

With the Aussie Open, like another poster said, Nadal's record is weaker there and every time Djokovic has beaten Fed, it's been 3 very tight sets, which suggests there's very little between the two. This will also be the first grand slam tournament Djokovic will have to defend. I think the pressure with be on Djoko and Fed will go for it and Fed will win the thing.

RG is the only slam Djokovic doesn't have, I think the draw will see Fed on Nadal's side and Djoko will make the final. A tight contest between Nadal & Fed in the semis will drain Nadal, leaving a tough contest between Nadal & Djoko with Djokovic winning in 5.

Wimbledon: I see this as a two horse race between Nadal & Djokovic but with Djokovic easily the favourite. Given that Wimbledon, ironically has the weakest record for Fed over the last 2 years ('10 & '11), I don't rate him highly. The only caveat I'd add is if Fed makes the semis where he would face Nadal or Djokovic but this is way too speculative. For Olpymics, I do rate Fed higher, simply because I think he wants that pretty bad, which would make it ironic if he loses Wimbledon but wins the gold for the Olypmics!

USO: I see this as entirely dependant on who gets through to the final, should Nadal & Djokovic make it, Djokovic wins, if Nadal & Fed make it, Nadal wins. If Nadal gets knocked out early then I'd rate Fed's chances far higher. I view the USO has the most open slam for the top players and this is indicated by the 4 different winners over the last 4 years.

I think most posters have got it right with regards to how many slams Djoko will get next year, history is not on his side @ the possibility of retaining the 3 slam titles he's won. Not even the Swiss Maestro himself managed to retain all 3 in 2005 (he retained 2)after winning them in 2004. That leaves the question of who you think will win the other 2 up for grabs after you rule out Djokovic for 2 of them. Strong chance for Fed @ 2 of them and for Nadal, I see him @ the French & Wimbledon Final but in both he'll lose if he faces Djokovic, as I see likely. Just to illustrate the point, no player after winning for the first time 3 of the 4 grand slams in a calander year has gone to successfully retain all 3 the following year, not Fed, not Nadal, not anyone in the modern era, nor recent past or even before the Open era.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:43 pm

For all of those predicting Fed to win the AUS, please answer the following question.

Do you think this Fed will be able to beat Nadal on a slow HC? He is likely to meet Nadal either in the semi or final.

Personally, I think the result would be quite ugly, perhaps only slightly better than Miami this year.

Fed beating Nadal on a slow, high bouncing HC, that ship sailed 2 years ago, even then he couldn't get it done.

The only way Fed will win any slam is if Nadal loses early or possibly if he meets an out of sorts Rafa at the USO.

But of course, some people think Fed is a better player than he used to be Rolling Eyes

Deluded.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Fed is definitley fighting the signs of ageing !

Little pot belly. TERRIBLE body hair, and is one

step slower thatn 1 year ago !

Aawwwwwwwwwwww

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:03 pm

Emancipator, it's clearly stated in my post that Fed winning is based on Nadal's weaker record @ the Aussie Open. Should Fed meet Nadal it's a different story but the probability isn't as high as you seem to suggest. Nadal has made just one final and one semi final, a total of two. At every other slam it's a minimum of 4 (USO), at Wimbledon, 5 and @ the French it's 6. It's beyond dispute that Nadal's record is weakest @ the Aussie Open (for whatever reason).

I think it's deluded to think that Nadal will make all four grand slam finals next year (and that somehow Fed will be stopped) as he didn't even manage that this year or last year when he won 3 out of the 4 slams. I do agree that Fed's chances of winning aren't high as they once were but I think his chances of winning one is a lot higher than it appears. As it's been said, he's still making the business end of grand slams and injuries and being off form has happened a lot more often to Nadal & Djokovic than to Fed, so there's more reason to be optimistic.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:33 pm

Lucius,

I don't disagree with anything you've written. I'm not saying that he has no chance against Nadal or no chance of winning a slam. Of course he has a reasonable chance. However, his destiny is no longer in his hands so to speak. He would be a considerable underdog against Nadal or Novak at this stage.

For him to win another slam it would require a combination of him 'rolling back the years', some good luck and probably not having to play against Rafa.

My deluded quip wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at people who think Roger is actually a better player than he was a few years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Emancipator, I agree it will require a number of unique conditions for him to win a slam and there's typically a 1/4 chance Nadal will not make 1 grand slam final and I certainly believe Fed can beat Novak, he's the only guy who's done it this year when Djokovic has been in full flow. Fed's able to push Djokovic in those grand slam matches unlike many others.

Sampras and Agassi were able to do it after they were 30 but they weren't typical reaching the business end of all the slams. Fed still is. That's why I'm confident Fed will snag a slam or two. It seems highly improbable, especially as he's lost 7 slams in a row but funnily enough, Agassi lost 7 slams before he won his final one. Sampras lost 8 between his penultimate and final slam. The Aussie Open would fit nicely into where you would expect Fed to win looking @ both Agassi & Sampras. History doesn't show Djokovic stands a chance of winning another 3 slams next year, it's just a question of if Fed will be one to benefit and to what extent Nadal will.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm

Federer has never even taken a set off Djokovic at the AO since the AO has been played on PLEXICUSHION(2008).

AO is Nole's best slam, he plays prime tennis there, Federer is not beating Nole there. Nope.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

That's not really saying a lot eraldeen, Djokovic has only won 4 slams, he's won just 1 more than @ the other slams.

Prime tennis? Let's see...he won in 2008 when Fed was ill (mono), retired in the quarters in 2009 (due to 'heat stress', Fed made the final), lost in the quarters again in 2010 when Fed won and in 2011 he beat Fed in 3 tight sets. If he plays his 'prime' tennis @ the Aussie Open he could have @ least successfully defended his title there in 2009 instead of retiring the match due to 'heat stress', he was only down a set. I think it's a delusion position to think the Aussie Open is Djokovic's fifedom, if he'd won it 3 times I might agree but I'll wait and see before saying a silly statement suggesting it is.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm

yummymummy wrote:Fed is definitley fighting the signs of ageing !

Little pot belly. TERRIBLE body hair, and is one

step slower thatn 1 year ago !

Aawwwwwwwwwwww

"Terrible" body hair, YUMMY!!!!!!!! I say it's sexy!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

By the way, I'm not saying Fed is going to beat Nole but I don't think it will be str8 sets and many Djokovic fans thought Fed wouldn't beat Nole @ the French Open this year coming hot on the heals of his 40 plus match winning streak. Djokovic has had a remarkable season but there's no way next year is going to be like this year's. For a start he won't win as many masters tournaments and secondly I think he'll win @ most, 2 slams going on past records. Just remember that this time last year, everyone was talking about Nadal catching Fed on the slam count very soon or when he would overtake it. Now no one is talking about that @ all and it's a question of how close he will get but few think he will equal it let alone beat it.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:03 pm

luciusmann wrote:That's not really saying a lot eraldeen, Djokovic has only won 4 slams, he's won just 1 more than @ the other slams.

Prime tennis? Let's see...he won in 2008 when Fed was ill (mono), retired in the quarters in 2009 (due to 'heat stress', Fed made the final), lost in the quarters again in 2010 when Fed won and in 2011 he beat Fed in 3 tight sets. If he plays his 'prime' tennis @ the Aussie Open he could have @ least successfully defended his title there in 2009 instead of retiring the match due to 'heat stress', he was only down a set. I think it's a delusion position to think the Aussie Open is Djokovic's fifedom, if he'd won it 3 times I might agree but I'll wait and see before saying a silly statement suggesting it is.

The man to beat atm is Nole.

2009 is history and 2011 Nole is a very different animal.

luciusmann wrote:By the way, I'm not saying Fed is going to beat Nole but I don't think it will be str8 sets and many Djokovic fans thought Fed wouldn't beat Nole @ the French Open this year coming hot on the heals of his 40 plus match winning streak. Djokovic has had a remarkable season but there's no way next year is going to be like this year's. For a start he won't win as many masters tournaments and secondly I think he'll win @ most, 2 slams going on past records. Just remember that this time last year, everyone was talking about Nadal catching Fed on the slam count very soon or when he would overtake it. Now no one is talking about that @ all and it's a question of how close he will get but few think he will equal it let alone beat it.

FO is not the USO/AO. Yes, Federer beat Nole at the FO this year but he has not beaten Nole at a HC slam since USO 2009..

For Federer it is easier these days to beat Nole at the FO than to beat him at the HC slams.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:22 am

The man to beat in 2011? Yes and he was beaten by Federer when he was trying to surpass the best start to a season record, and he would also have become No.1 earlier had he done it. That was this year, 2011, not 2009. I appreciate many Djokovic fans think 2011 will go on and on but the season is mostly finished and next year will be different.

No one has beaten Djokovic on hard courts unless he's been injured (Cinni). I agree, this year has been brilliant for him but you don't seem to have read what I've written, he won't repeat this next year and he's said the same thing himself (and wisely too, no player has after winning 3 slams for the first time).

It's easier for you to overlook the French because it was the only slam Djokovic lost and it does rather take the gloss off his 'unbeatable' tag. 2009 is history but so is 2010 and everyone else was saying Nadal was going to dominate this year, did it happen? Nope. After Djokovic has dominated this year, do we think he will next year? I will go with history on this one and say 'no' too. There's more chance Nole will repeat 2009 @ the Aussie than have a cake walk against Fed like you seem to think. Fed has won it 4 times for a reason, that's the same number of slams Djokovic has won in his entire career. I'd be more discerning before you write off players.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:13 am

I never said Nole's 2012 would be like his 2011.

My predictions are:

Australian Open: Djokovic
US Open: Murray

I'm predicting 2 slams for Nole.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:24 am

AO Federer
FO Nadal
Wimbledon Nadal
US Djokovic or Nadal

Expect Djokovic to have a bit of a slump next year. fatigue (mental if not physical). Not that he's going anywhere.

Federer will be better prepared at the AO and he can't carry on losing matches he should win.

Nadal will play his best in the summer after gaining confidence on the clay. Have seen it too many times before not to predict it again.

Not sure about US. By that time Djokovic may be back to his best or Nadal may be still full of confidence.

I predict Federer will win Olympics. But maybe thats my heart ruling my head...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:00 am

hawkeye wrote:I predict Federer will win Olympics. But maybe thats my heart ruling my head...

How lovely that would be hawkeye - maybe in a funny sort of way it is his best chance - if it was best of 5, I think he wouldn't get past Rafa, but best of 3, if he really wants it, he just might do it.

I have a feeling it will be the one he is aiming to peak for above US Open this year because it is last shot at it, I would think, and he must look realistically and think it is an easier get than W or US, both of which he would have been training to peak for in other olympic years.

What a lovely way to just add a little bit of icing to a wonderful career!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

I predict more top 4 semi-final line ups as the game gets less and less surprising.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:30 am

Slam winners in 2012?
AO - Fed
RG - Rafa
W - Djoko
USO - dunno

Can't see Murray winning one this year although he might make a final. Twould be good if Rog won the Olympic gold at SW19 and he might be more up for it than the other guys as it's bound to be his last Games.
All seem agreed that Djoko - for any number of reasons - won't get anywhere near his success of last year in 2012. But with plenty of points in the bag he may be able to pace himself sufficiently to peak at the big ones.
One thing also unlikely to be repeated next year is the utter domination by the big four of the business ends of the GS. I mean, surely more than two non-top four players will make a GS semis this year? What do you think?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

I can see Djoko picking up 2 slams next year - I'd be amazed if he managed 3, I expect Nadal to get one, maybe two.

As I have said, I believe Fed's best chance is at Aus Open because it's usually Nadal's weakest - but I'd still have Djoko favourite vs. Fed there.

Nadal is at his most dangerous at RG/W and I don't see the winner of those two outside Djoko/Nadal.

USO is Djoko's best tournament by some distance, but he and Nadal may have shagged one another out by then and in my view it's also Fed's best tournament too.

As for Murray - it's more hope than expectation that next year will be lift-off for him. USO must be his best chance.

As for the others - they are all capable of beating one of the big four on their day with a bit of luck, but beating two in the same competition is a huge ask and we have not seen the Del Boy of 2009 - nor, to be fair, can we assume he'll face the weakened Nadal he beat in that tournament.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Same here Eraldeen, I think Djoko will get two slams for 2012 too. We just differ on where he will get one of those slams. I can see why you think Nadal will win RG but I rate Djokovic as the favourite (especially if the draw places Fed on Nadal's side). Nadal will be going for history if he captures a 7th RG title and I think that will play to Djokovic's hands giving him less pressure.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Tue 27 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

IMO, Federer is done winning slams.

Federer might win a mickey mouse title here and there like Doha... but big titles like slams and masters series he won't win anymore...

It's not just Nole and Nadal beating Federer at the slams, also big hitters like Tsonga, Berdych, Del Potro and Soderling have been beating him at the slams since USO 2009.

There are just too many players he needs to avoid to win a slam. Nole, Nadal, big hitters. Next year he will be 31 which is senile for a pro, we might see Murray beating Federer at a slam as well.

Next year Federer might start losing earlier at the slams than in the past.

Nobody can stop father time.

barrystar wrote:

As I have said, I believe Fed's best chance is at Aus Open because it's usually Nadal's weakest - but I'd still have Djoko favourite vs. Fed there.

AO might be Nadal's weakest but it is Nole's strongest slam. thumbsup Nole is the overwhelming favorite to win the AO 2012. OK

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 27 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

A fit Fed is always a threat, what he really needs is a draw to fall his way. That's not too much to ask across a year or two - look at some of the draws Nadal has had in recent years, and Fed got at Wimbledon 2009.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Tue 27 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

bogbrush wrote:A fit Fed is always a threat, what he really needs is a draw to fall his way. That's not too much to ask across a year or two - look at some of the draws Nadal has had in recent years, and Fed got at Wimbledon 2009.

The problem for Federer is he needs Nole, Nadal, all those big hitters that have been beating him at slams for 2 years now to lose. That is just not happening. He needs many players to lose for him to have a chance. His losses to Tsonga and Berdych at Wimbledon, his loss to Soderling at the FO, his loss to Del Potro at the USO are significant. We are not in 2008/2009 anymore when he needed Nadal out of a slam to win it. Now many players can beat him at a slam.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by GillesSimon Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
Wim Djokovic
USO Djokovic

GillesSimon

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

I think you need to get your facts correct eraldeen. Nadal only missed Wimbledon in 2009, he was @ all the other slams, it's not Fed's fault if Nadal didn't get through to the finals as often. It's a myth that Nadal was somehow 'absent' through much of 2009, he wasn't.

These big hitters you mention are inconsistent through slams and it's patently clear that you're trying to make them out to be a bigger threat than they are. Tsonga, Berdych, Solderling & Delpo had just a single victory against Fed in the slams over the last 2 years. The real danger players are Djokovic and Nadal and Fed can beat Djokovic shown @ the French (no matter how much you try to minimumise it's significance) and his 2 match points @ the USO showing that Fed has the opportunity to beat Djokovic. Nadal is a different matter but has been pointed out, the Aussie Open is Nadal's weaker slam. Aussie Open is the strongest slam for Nole yet he's only won 2 vs 4 for Fed. Fed isn't just anybody as your dismiss him, winning 16 slams is no small achievement. If we were talking about anyone else, I'd agree, over 30 and they wouldn't stand a chance but most commentators do think Fed will get another slam, the question is where. I mean you think Murray will win the USO next year, right.....

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

eraldeen wrote:
bogbrush wrote:A fit Fed is always a threat, what he really needs is a draw to fall his way. That's not too much to ask across a year or two - look at some of the draws Nadal has had in recent years, and Fed got at Wimbledon 2009.

The problem for Federer is he needs Nole, Nadal, all those big hitters that have been beating him at slams for 2 years now to lose. That is just not happening. He needs many players to lose for him to have a chance. His losses to Tsonga and Berdych at Wimbledon, his loss to Soderling at the FO, his loss to Del Potro at the USO are significant. We are not in 2008/2009 anymore when he needed Nadal out of a slam to win it. Now many players can beat him at a slam.

Djokovic is beatable for Fed; in the last 4 Slam encouters he's won one and held match points in two.

I think the Wimbledon losses had something at least to do with fitness (Berdych definitely), Soderling fair enough but that happens and he won't lose to him again and JMDP was on a tear. I didn't say he was a slam dunk favourite, but would you put your money on Berdych, Tsonga, JMDP or Sod over Fed?
Nadals the only one whose game is a huge problem for him, but so what?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:32 am

bogbrush wrote:

Djokovic is beatable for Fed

At the FO.

But Federer has not beaten Djokovic at a HC slam since 2009. Since then, Federer has lost 3 times to Djokovic at the HC slams, I see a trend. Federer is also very vulnerable to ballbashers. Wimbledon is now his worst slam. Ironically, RG with the faster clay and light,fast Babolat balls is Federer's best slam. Unfortunately, RG is also Nadal's best slam. Fed is in deep dudu. censored

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

luciusmann wrote:I think you need to get your facts correct eraldeen. Nadal only missed Wimbledon in 2009, he was @ all the other slams, it's not Fed's fault if Nadal didn't get through to the finals as often. It's a myth that Nadal was somehow 'absent' through much of 2009, he wasn't.

These big hitters you mention are inconsistent through slams and it's patently clear that you're trying to make them out to be a bigger threat than they are. Tsonga, Berdych, Solderling & Delpo had just a single victory against Fed in the slams over the last 2 years. The real danger players are Djokovic and Nadal and Fed can beat Djokovic shown @ the French (no matter how much you try to minimumise it's significance) and his 2 match points @ the USO showing that Fed has the opportunity to beat Djokovic. Nadal is a different matter but has been pointed out, the Aussie Open is Nadal's weaker slam. Aussie Open is the strongest slam for Nole yet he's only won 2 vs 4 for Fed. Fed isn't just anybody as your dismiss him, winning 16 slams is no small achievement. If we were talking about anyone else, I'd agree, over 30 and they wouldn't stand a chance but most commentators do think Fed will get another slam, the question is where. I mean you think Murray will win the USO next year, right.....

What I meant was that once upon a time, IF Nadal lost before the final, then that would automatically was a slam win for Federer, this around 2008/2009.

Not anymore. For Federer to win a slam, he needs to avoid: Nole, Nadal and a plethora of ballbashers. The last 3 slams Federer won: FO 2009, Wimbledon 2009 and AO 2010, he avoided BOTH Djokovic and Nadal. Not a coincidence that since Djokovic and Nadal have improved big time(2010), Federer has been slamless. Those pesky ballbashers beating Federer at slams QFs don't help the situation one iota either. Tumbleweed

GillesSimon wrote:AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
Wim Djokovic
USO Djokovic

We could actually see the same slam winners as in 2011. OK

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

My picks:

AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
Wim Nadal
USO Djokovic

Federer still has a chance, but as he's not the favourite it's hard to commit to picking him for a particular slam.

As for the Olympics, perhaps Murray will win glorious gold for Britain - leaving those who unjustly loathe him for his World Cup comments re England not knowing whether to rejoice or cry.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

Positively 4th Street wrote:My picks:

AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
Wim Nadal
USO Djokovic

Federer still has a chance, but as he's not the favourite it's hard to commit to picking him for a particular slam.

As for the Olympics, perhaps Murray will win glorious gold for Britain - leaving those who unjustly loathe him for his World Cup comments re England not knowing whether to rejoice or cry.

I am still going to 'kop out' - would love to have Fed attain one final slam, but agree Positively difficult to put money on that happening.

I'd love Fed again to win Olympics, but Andy would be v good too - would rather see Andy just bag an elusive slam though to be honest.

Actually next year would love a 'surprise' winner at just one of the majors

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

eraldeen wrote:For Federer to win a slam, he needs to avoid: Nole, Nadal and a plethora of ballbashers. The last 3 slams Federer won: FO 2009, Wimbledon 2009 and AO 2010, he avoided BOTH Djokovic and Nadal. Not a coincidence that since Djokovic and Nadal have improved big time(2010), Federer has been slamless. Those pesky ballbashers beating Federer at slams QFs don't help the situation one iota either. Tumbleweed

I dunno, the one guy he really needs to avoid is Nadal, other than that i give him a great chance against anyone. Hell, but for two points he's 3-1 on Djokovic in their last 4 Slam meetings. As for the others tbh he just needs to be healthy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

Agree with BB those matches with Djoko were as close as you could get and he only won them because someone had to. It's not a sign of dominance over federer, a bad matchup or even outplaying him. Just one person won and the other lost.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

eraldeen wrote:
luciusmann wrote:I think you need to get your facts correct eraldeen. Nadal only missed Wimbledon in 2009, he was @ all the other slams, it's not Fed's fault if Nadal didn't get through to the finals as often. It's a myth that Nadal was somehow 'absent' through much of 2009, he wasn't.

What I meant was that once upon a time, IF Nadal lost before the final, then that would automatically was a slam win for Federer, this around 2008/2009.

Not anymore. For Federer to win a slam, he needs to avoid: Nole, Nadal and a plethora of ballbashers. The last 3 slams Federer won: FO 2009, Wimbledon 2009 and AO 2010, he avoided BOTH Djokovic and Nadal. Not a coincidence that since Djokovic and Nadal have improved big time(2010), Federer has been slamless. Those pesky ballbashers beating Federer at slams QFs don't help the situation one iota either. Tumbleweed

GillesSimon wrote:AO Djokovic
FO Nadal
Wim Djokovic
USO Djokovic

We could actually see the same slam winners as in 2011. OK

I think that's a bit over the top. Federer doesn't need to avoid these big hitters. Against all of those guys Fed is still the clear favourite. If he plays well, he'll beat them. Or would you consider Bird, Sod, DelPo, Tsonga et al favourites against Fed in a slam even at this stage?

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

AO Djokovic
FO Federer
Wim Djokovic
USO Murray

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down