The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from?

5 posters

Go down

So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from? Empty So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from?

Post by MrInvisible Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

Anyone on here who closely follows the juniors and the Challenger tour (and qualifiers) for up-and-coming players?

Where do people see the next crop of players coming from?

This Australian Open, like most slams, has seen a couple of Spaniards making the latter stages. They've dominated the Davis Cup and occupied plenty of places within the top 30, but the likes of Ferrer, Verdasco and Lopez are coming to the end of their careers, not forgetting Nadal who is showing signs of being in twilight stage of his career. I've not seen any sign of great younger Spanish players breaking through though.

The French have plenty of strength in depth traditionally - any promising juniors on the way?

Looking at some of the much-touted younger players breaking through now they all have plenty of room for improvement. Tomic - has good varied game and can perform well in big matches, but needs to work on strength and stamina, and I'm not sure he has the commitment. Raonic - nice temperament, fantastic serve, but lacks movement, and as a taller player he may be susceptible to injury. From what I've seen of Harrison he has some nice shots but a poor temperament. Dmitrov has a lovely game but lacks the killer instinct - maybe if he develops his serve as a greater weapon he could become more of a threat. Got to admit I've not seen much of the Polish chap (apologies for forgetting his name!) but will try and keep an eye out for him.

For me though I just sense that with the end of the Federer-Nadal era looming that the real beneficiaries are going to be Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro, all 3 are still relatively young and I cannot see younger players seriously challenging them for at least a couple of years.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from? Empty Re: So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from?

Post by User 774433 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

Hi Mr.Invisble

Welcome to the forum OK

Good article, atm I would say Tomic looks most dangerous. But we say that every time after the AO don't we lol.

You might like to read this article:
https://www.606v2.com/t33013-harrison-vs-raonic-vs-dimitrov-vs-tomic-which-youngster-has-the-most-potential

And follow this one:
https://www.606v2.com/t35312-v2-youngster-watch

User 774433

Back to top Go down

So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from? Empty Re: So where are the next generation of ATP slam winners going to come from?

Post by socal1976 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

I could see raonic winning a slam and possibly tomic, I really like Jerzy as well. I think he is he most athletically and physically talented of the bunch, a very good post. But so far lets be honest they have been incredibly underwhelming. Or in the alternate the guys right above them have been incredibly overwhelming.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm

socal1976 wrote:I could see raonic winning a slam and possibly tomic, I really like Jerzy as well. I think he is he most athletically and physically talented of the bunch, a very good post. But so far lets be honest they have been incredibly underwhelming. Or in the alternate the guys right above them have been incredibly overwhelming.

I think it's the former - the guys right above them include Almagro and Monaco Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

Touche, Julius they are pretty inconsistent at this stage of the precedings. Almagro is another dissappointing case is there a mentally more brittle tennis player in the top 50 I struggle to think of one.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

BTW, welcome to the forum Mr Invisible - have to admit, I didn't see you coming. (The old jokes are the best.)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:51 pm

I will be the next new grand slam winner. I'm now embarking on a period of several years of intense physical training, and will enter the ATP in my late twenties. When I'm 30 I will win my first grand slam and eventually replace Djokovic or Murray at the top of men's tennis. After all, 30 is now the new 18 in the world of tennis. No point in joining tennis at the age of 18-20 and getting mopped the floor with like the current generation of Harrison, Berankis and Raonic. Only when I'm a full physical beast I will embark on the journey to greatness, because that's what you need to succeed. Also I will send Federer in retirement by beating him in his last grand slam match and I will have a perfect record against Almagro.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:22 am

Lol Chyrdremion, can I fly in the nike jet with you. And will you have your own rolex commercial with catchy inspiring theme music, I can see you in your cream colored leisur suit walking on to wimby right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down