The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler)

+10
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
tcribb
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
milkyboy
School Project
Fists of Fury
mikeymax71
Commander
14 posters

Go down

Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler) Empty Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler)

Post by Commander Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:04 am

Have to say, respect to Barker but also a bit of disappointment with Martinez (his speed was there but I'm not sure if he was trying to breakdown Barker or just couldn't adjust) - if Floyd and Pacman can take his punch, they should demolish him (especially Floyd).

Barker seemed to tire but it was an odd punch that caught him behind his guard.

Last edited by Commander on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Commander

Back to top Go down

Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler) Empty Re: Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler)

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:01 am

I think it was a lack of focus by Martinez as he is obsessed by trying to land a big name fight.

I also think Barker just run out of steam but would worry about his chances of winning a world title in future as he has a very low work rate in fights.

Last night was more a case of how bad Sergio was rather than how good Darren s as a fighter.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler) Empty Re: Darren Barker v Sergio Martinez (spoiler)

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

I don't want to take anything away from Barker, as it was a gutsy and at times polished performance (particularly impressed with his tight defence), but you have to take into account that Martinez probably wasn't as up for that one as he should have been. You have to imagine that he would be a lot more intense in a bigger name fight...well, as we saw against Williams and Pavlik.

Overall, Darren certainly didn't disgrace himself, and really it was just that extra bit of speed, and the considerable difference in power between the two men that was the difference. Every time Martinez connected flush it had an impact, whereas Barker caught Martinez a couple of times without any effect.

When the bias is removed, I had Martinez winning it comfortably enough before the knockout.

As for Floyd/Pacman, I think Floyd would win a decision against Martinez if he could keep out of the way of those vicious punches, but the one that excites me most is the Pacquaio one...imagine what a tear up that'd be. Not sure we will see either happen, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

One more thing I was supposed to add, we can excuse Martinez a poor fight by his standards. He almost deserves one after the corkers he has put on across the last couple of years.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

So Barker was KO'd late in the fight? I don't watch it as I was out on the lash and was passed out by 1am.

Was the fight as one sided as I thought it would be?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

Yeah KO11. Caught with some solid punches, and then tipped over by a right hook that landed somewhere around the ear. Tried to get up but couldn't.

No, early doors it was very tight with Martinez looking a bit off the pace and Barker working well behind the jab, but after halfway it started to tilt in Martinez favour as he realised he needed to up his game and started throwing more combinations. Every time he landed with a big shot he looked like he could get Barker out of there.

Decent performance from Darren though, tight defence and landed some decent shots, but probably wasn't active enough (could have something to do with Martinez' power putting him off doing so).

Martinez was off the pace, not helped by what may well be a broken nose, and he looked like he was struggling with his breathing, but once he got through and had Darren on the rack he was relentless.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

Good on Barker for taking the fight and sticking on there. The problem with fighting someone like Martinez is the sheer risk of being countered with 3 or 4 punches on the way out... it's pretty much suicide to try anything else nut box against him... guess I can't blame Barker for fighting his fight.

I'll watch the fight a little later.

I managed to watch that German bum Sylvester get taken apart but some Polish dude. That made my night.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

even fight for 6 rounds, barker looked quite good when he let his shots go in combinations, but didn't do it often enough. Not the walkover many predicted and a strange ko... barker was fading and shipping leather at the time, but it seemed to me that the punch that landed on the back of the ear, just scrambled his legs.

Some credence for truss' over-rated comments on martinez. He might have lacked motivation (who's to day... too professional for that imo), but he was clearly in good enough shape to be unloading in the championship rounds. Personally i think his 'poor performance' was more down to the fact that a) he's not quite as good as some think, and b) he struggled to deal with a well organised defensive fighter who stuck to his game plan until he gassed

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:11 pm

Barker did OK but far to often he got in range and did nothing. Poor showing at times from Martinez no real variety to his work when he wasn't landing especially in the first half of the fight. He really struggled to catch Barker cleanly at times.

As for fighting Floyd it would need to be at 154lbs and I could see Martinez getting schooled. No variety to his work struggled to break through Barkers defence and if you can't hit Barker you won't put a glove on Floyd.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

Poor performance from Martinez who never lucked to be really controlling the fight till the 10th. Gutsy performance from Barker who took some big punches mainly in the 10th and 11th. Another world title fights awaits most definitely.

I only had Martinez up by 1 going into the 11th.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

What on earth are some of you on ? I've read comments of how bad Martinez ect.. Barker fought a very disciplined fight, Martinez adapted and took care of business, you can't just expect to land every punch like a computer game etc.. I thought Barker was superb but Martinez was just that notch better in most departments, as for Pacquaio and Mayweather as it seems you chaps can't have a debate without mentioning those two, could you seriously expect Pacquaio or Mayweather to choose Martinez as an opponent? Absolute no chance, Mayweather can pick on all the little Victor Ortiz all he likes, but he'll not be going anywhere near Martinez I guarantee you that.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:04 pm

Little Victor Ortiz? He's hardly little.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

Barker was superb? When? He did very little. Stood in range with the ear muffs on and rarely flung anything other than single shots. Martinez was poor but at least he was trying to make openings Barker looked happy to lose and not get KO'd imo.

As for Pac that will never happen he won't fight any one at 154lbs it would need to be a catchweight of 150lbs that I can't see Martinez making. As for Floyd what does Martinez have that troubles him? Fast hands and decent power? Like I said before if you struggle to catch Barker cleanly like he did for long periods of the fight then you don't put a glove on Floyd.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

PB I feel your being harsh on Barker there. He was pushing Martinez back with the jab, footwork was decent and a lot of Martinez's punches were on the gloves or elbows. If Barker had of doubled up the jab and threw more combos he would of won the rounds easier . He still has a lot to offer in this division.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

He was never going to get a decision like that. Martinez was outworking him and although most of his shots were being blocked at least he was throwing. I never felt he was pushing Martinez back Martinez gave him the centre of the ring and was looking to draw Barker onto a left hand.

The division is poor so your probably right. Apart from Martinez or Sturm he could do well against the rest.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Barker was superb? When? He did very little. Stood in range with the ear muffs on and rarely flung anything other than single shots. Martinez was poor but at least he was trying to make openings Barker looked happy to lose and not get KO'd imo.

As for Pac that will never happen he won't fight any one at 154lbs it would need to be a catchweight of 150lbs that I can't see Martinez making. As for Floyd what does Martinez have that troubles him? Fast hands and decent power? Like I said before if you struggle to catch Barker cleanly like he did for long periods of the fight then you don't put a glove on Floyd.

Martinez has already said he is willing to go down to 150lbs to fight Pacman:

"Now it’s up to Pacquiao, his trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum to see if they bite for this fight. If Martinez is willing to get down to 150 lbs to take the fight then there shouldn’t be any reason for Pacquiao not to accept the bout. If the weight is right, then Pacquiao should accept it and fight Martinez.

After all, Martinez is smaller than Antonio Margarito, a fighter that Pacquiao beat last year. But of course if it’s not the size that Pacquiao really concerned with and more so Martinez’s power and boxing ability, then I can understand Pacquiao staying far away from Martinez no matter what weight he gets down to to try and make the fight. "

Source: Boxing News 24

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

The more work was coming from Martinez but the cleaner shots were coming from Barker, Barker was beating him to the jab often landing on a numerous occasions per round. After 5 rounds Martinez should of adapted and didn't really till late on Barker wasn't stupid enough to give Martinez the chance to land with that left hand. If Martinez had of changed his tactics earlier it would of been a easier night then it was.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

I never knew Martinez said he would get down to 150lbs for Pac. That would be more interesting than Floyd v Martinez imo. That's a 60/40 fight for Manny imo.

I think Martinez's position as #3 P4P is a bit false. He's done nothing to suggest he deserves to be ranked above Marquez or Donaire.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Pretty boykev

Barker implementing his game plan and it was working, you can't just go in gung ho against a superb counter puncher like Martinez, he would've been knocked out much earlier. As for not laying a glove on Floyd we'd see, could you see Mayweather opening up against Martinez? You don't see the self proclaimed greatest calling Martinez out do you? He'll continue to stick to his safe bets Khan etc..
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

Liam_Main wrote:The more work was coming from Martinez but the cleaner shots were coming from Barker, Barker was beating him to the jab often landing on a numerous occasions per round. After 5 rounds Martinez should of adapted and didn't really till late on Barker wasn't stupid enough to give Martinez the chance to land with that left hand. If Martinez had of changed his tactics earlier it would of been a easier night then it was.

There wasn't enough shots coming from Barker. He stood in range and did nothing to often. If he was trying to draw Martinez on to something he should have been giving him more angles and using a bit more head movement. He was trying to nick rounds which was never going to happen especially when you are being out worked.

Apparently the judges had it by a pretty wide margin for Martinez and that was always going to happen with Barkers tactics.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

tcribb wrote:Pretty boykev

Barker implementing his game plan and it was working, you can't just go in gung ho against a superb counter puncher like Martinez, he would've been knocked out much earlier. As for not laying a glove on Floyd we'd see, could you see Mayweather opening up against Martinez? You don't see the self proclaimed greatest calling Martinez out do you? He'll continue to stick to his safe bets Khan etc..

Barkers game plan clearly wasn't working because he got sparked out and was behind on the judges scorecards. Martinez showed very little variety in his punches for long periods of the fight. You can't do that against Floyd you become predictable you miss and you get tagged, and get made to look daft.

Khan's not a safe bet he's a very talented boxer with good speed and power and top man at 140lbs.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

I believe he felt enough purchase in Martinez punches to prevent him from opening up, Martinez is a powerful man with speed he'd trouble a lot of fighters. One judge had it ridiculously 99-91 and the other two had Martinez two and three rounds up, which was about right in my opinion.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

After the fight Larry said that should Hopkins get past Dawson, he is willing to meet Martinez at a weight of 170lbs.. but Martinez felt that was too much for him as he came in at 165lbs before the fight.

Maybe he should go to super middle then? Very Happy

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

Barkers game plan clearly wasn't working because he got sparked out and was behind on the judges scorecards. Martinez showed very little variety in his punches for long periods of the fight. You can't do that against Floyd you become predictable you miss and you get tagged, and get made to look daft.

Khan's not a safe bet he's a very talented boxer with good speed and power and top man at 140lbs.

It was working because Barker was nicking the early rounds, he needed to up the ante as you've said after the middle spell but he wasnt comfortable with Martinez having the edge in power. Khan isn't the top man Timothy Bradley is.

It just seems fans focus on being ultra critical on a winning fighter if they dont knock the other guy senseless emphatically, and we get oh but Floyd or Manny wouldn't do that, the record needs changing. Barker fought a great fight the best of his ability but lost to a more talented chap.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Tcribb- If he felt Martinez was to big a puncher to open up he shouldn't have stayed in range and threw very little then because he was always going to lose rounds on work rate in front of a pro Martinez crowd. That's poor tactics he should have been on the back foot and working the jab more.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:48 pm

tcribb wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

It was working because Barker was nicking the early rounds, he needed to up the ante as you've said after the middle spell but he wasnt comfortable with Martinez having the edge in power. Khan isn't the top man Timothy Bradley is.

It just seems fans focus on being ultra critical on a winning fighter if they dont knock the other guy senseless emphatically, and we get oh but Floyd or Manny wouldn't do that, the record needs changing. Barker fought a great fight the best of his ability but lost to a more talented chap.

He shouldn't have stayed in range so much.

As for Bradley he ducked Khan. Got offered a career high pay day and said no. Martinez is the one talking about Manny and Floyd so he should get treated like a them and get his performances scrutinised more so than any other boxers out there that's what happens to Manny and Floyd.

We will need to agree to disagree on Barker I felt he got things wrong like staying in range and letting himself get out worked maybe a bit naive at World level.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

Had it 96-93 through 10. Barker just too hestitant, controlled the ring but not pulling the trigger.

Martinez wasn't on form, but it also shows how hard it is to look good against an opponent turtling.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Sorry to go off topic but Scott, do you get Boxing News magazine?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

No mate, just Boxing Monthly. Why's that?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

I seen you mentioned you got a magazine on another thread. They released their four Nations amateur rankings in August and I haven't seen them. Was wondering if you could post them if you did. Cheers anyway.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

I get boxing news it's pretty good.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

Do you keep old additions Kev? The rankings were in August. came across an article last night, and would like to have a look at them.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

I do not mate I keep some old articles in a folder but not the full magazines.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

No bother mate. Cheers anyway.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

They have rankings on their website but they have been updated since August. I think they are done monthly.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/listing.asp?c=24
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Aye mate I seen them, but they are a few years out of date. Still have Frankie Gavin in the lightweight category for instance. Might Email them, but I'd imagine they would want me to subscribe.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

rowley reads it, there are probably a few others on here.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

Cheers mate, I'll ask him tomorrow.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:35 pm

Personally I thought Martinez was off his game everyone has an off night and to be fair the fact that he was such an overwhelming favourite perhaps looking ahead to bigger fights later on led to him not concentrating on Barker.
Also another fact was that Barker fought to the very best of his abilities and was fully focused and it isn't easy to look good against a guy fighting in the style that Barker was fighting in. To be fair to Barker he gave his best but for me played it safe a little too often, won some rounds did quite well at some points and was not the one sided beat down that many predicted. I always felt that Barker physical strength could be a factor, thoguh I suspect that Martinez was more than happy to allow him centre of the ring.
Let's not forget against a Floyd Mayweather it is a completely different fight. At 154 Floyd would not be going to the cnetre of the ring and would fight in a more stand-offish way - similar to his only fight at 154 against De La Hoya. He would be able to outclass Martinez at times but Martinez's power would nullify a lot of what Floyd is willing to do. Just because he struggled to land cleanly against Barker does NOT mean he can't land a glove on Mayweather, it is a completely different fight and has no blueprint on the Barker fight. Completely different defense different style and most probably Martinez hunting Mayweather instead of being on the back foot.
Pacqiaou would be interesting, perhaps the sheer power of Martinez would be enough if he's still ok after draining himself to 150. More of a 50/50 fight.
Overall was impressed with Barker, let's not forget, yes his work rate at times was low, but to be fair to the guy he's against the best guy in his division who hits very hard outclasses him in almost every area, he had to be cautious to have a chance. The tactics were generally correct, there wasn't any other real way to beat Martinez last night apart from just plain and simple being better and being able to execute better, something I don't think Barker is capable of.
Hats off to Barker, he CLEARLY went there to win and in his post fight interview he was holding back the tears, it means a lot to him, to say he didn't go there to win is a bit of an insult to him. He did all he knew but Martinez once he got going and Barker slowed was just far too much for him like we all expected, but full credit to Barker gave a very good showing and would give a fight between him and Sturm perhaps 50/50 to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

All this Martinez had an off night and Barker did very well is a bit much. Martinez was looking to draw Barker on to a big shot and get a highlight reel KO.

Barker did well but boxing to the best of his abilities? Not at all. He stood in range with the earmuffs on and threw very little. A bit more of a jab and working on his back foot a bit more and he could have won more rounds. He was never going to win fighting like that.

Floyd would give Martinez angles and want him to throw so he could slip his punches and tag him. Not seen much in Martinez to suggest he beats Floyd.

As for Pacquiao I'm not convinced Martinez could keep up with Pacquiao and his high tempo and at times relentless punching. He may not be a massive puncher but the accumulation of punches does real damage.

Strurm could do what Barker did last night and be more effective and win rounds.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

If Barker opened up any more he would have been taken out a lot earlier! He boxed to the best of his abilities and tried to nullify Martinez as much as possible if he backed off that would have been disastrous! Look at Pavlik and Dzinziruk!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:24 pm

Why stand in range and throw that little? That's terrible tactics he was always going to lose like that. He should have used his head movement a bit more and boxed off the back foot at times. He played into Martinez's hands. He let him pick his shots and just took them on the arms. Martinez gave him the certain of the ring and wanted to pick him off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

Problem is you're talking about things that Barker isn't able to do, he doesn't have that in his skill set. It's like asking Mike Tyson to box off the back foot, it doesn't work like that. He boxed the only way he knew how and the best way that he could have picked up something, he doesn't have great stamina.
I thought his jab was good not enough to win but couldn't really do much more, opening up more would have meant game over almost certain of it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

He does have good head movement which he never used enough last night. As for boxing on his back foot it may not be his strongest asset but it's something he can do and he might have won unlike being a glorified loser.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

He could never win because he quite simply isn't good enough, end of, the second Martinez was able to step it up throwing more and more combinations it was the beginning of the end for Barker.
He's not in the same league.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:42 am

For me I think Barker was sensible, boxed well and was obviously respectful of Martinez's power.

Watching the fight was wondering how the scoring would have gone. Martinez was throwing stronger and more frequently but most of his punches were caught on the gloves or elbows.

Barker's were looking lighter punches but were actually connecting (up until round 6/7). Was thinking it was going to be controversial as it could have been scored either way.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

What else could Baker do?

He could either try to keep it tight and end up losing on points, or open up a bit try to land his own shots and get knocked out. He didn't have the speed, power or general ability to beat Martinez. I think what we saw was prob the best that Baker could produce.

Jim Watts commentary was terrible. Why was he and the whole SKY team so against Martinez? "Martinez doesn't deserve to be called P4P"....Apart from the big two who else deserves to be above him?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

Yeah that Martinez is overrated thing is starting to grate a little. It's a list based on achievement as much as anything. No one really describes him as an ATG but past the first two it's tough to find someone to put above him, he's won some big fights impressively, was FOTY with KOTY last year. Yeah he's a weak P4P#3 but it's a transition period, the prospects haven't really done enough and some of the greater fighters (Marquez, Hopkins etc) are getting old.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down