The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darren Barker

+6
Mr Bounce
AlexHuckerby
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
bhb001
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
10 posters

Go down

Darren Barker Empty Darren Barker

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

Morning gents,

Just a quick one regarding the upcoming world title fight between Geale and our very own Darren Barker.

Not really heard much about this fight, which is strange given its a world title shot against a guy who Darren Barker has a good chance against.

How do we see this going, and should he win, do we see a big domestic fight with either Murray or Macklin back end of the year?

I think Barker takes a UD in this fight, just got a feeling he may pull it out the bag on this one, although i think his reign will be short lived......especially if Golivkin fancies a Unification bout......

Thoughts?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Darren Barker Empty Re: Darren Barker

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:31 am

50/50 for me, haven't been overly impressed with Geale if im being honest but he does work very hard and can keep up a good pace which Barker wont be able to match so will have to reply with quality. Geale has good workrate but average power, speed, movement and defence

He may be just a bit too unorthodox for Barker who can be a bit rigid but its very close and very winnable

Dont think either would be too happy about fighting Golovkin who would walk through both of them

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:47 am

Close fight for me too, but have gone for Geale in the league, based only on a hunch that Geale travels well, having fought twice in Germany. Terrible reason, I know, but it was the only way I could really split the two.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:08 am

Its just shocking that we have had little coverage of the build up. When Murray fought Martinez and likewise with Barker, there was little to no real build up over here but yet they were fighting for a world title against a guy many considered as a p4p top three fighter.

Gone are the days of Hatton and Lewis where we had good build up and lots of exposure.

I suppose Khan gets a little attention but with our middleweights it seems no existent.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

Oh and what channel will the barker fight be on? Presuming Sky Sports?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:25 am

Barker to be beaten by a convincing UD for me.

Geale is quicker and more skilled.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

Barker's with Hearn so it will be Sky Sports. I've seen quite a bit on Sky about this one by the way. This isn't a superfight like Hatton and Lewis were in and Barker isn't exactly immensly popular or a Heavyweight so it naturally won't get as much exposure.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 12 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

I like Barker - he seems like a genuine guy with more than a bit of talent. I think he's got a really good fight in him and I just have a feeling that he will pull this one off. Barker by KO with a lucky punch Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm

Have not seen loads of Geale but of the bits I have seen Barker has a genuine chance in this. Watched Barker recently and now his injuries appear to have cleared up he seems a bit more happy to sit down on his punches and add a bit of devilment to his other gifts and his experience with Martinez should stand him in decent stead in this one.

Maybe getting a bit Richie Woodhall on this one but feel he may pull this one off. He needs to get out of the traps though because Barker strikes me as a guy who needs to get into his rhythm and against a high output guy like Geale he does not want to give too many early rounds away. Still fancy Darren to just nick this one though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:13 pm

I think Barker can win a decision here. I like Geale's attitude and he makes the most of what he has, but he's pretty raw and relies almost totally on his output, engine and confidence - against someone who can time him and defend, he'll always struggle.

I think Barker is the more polished boxer of the pair and I see him landing enough eye-catching shots to impress the judges, as long as he doesn't allow Geale to continuously throw as much as possible which might lead to the judges favouring the aggressor, even if it's not effective.

Barker by close decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:39 pm

Barker to bust another ear drum and cry like a 4 year old whos been put in the naughty corner again.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:55 pm

Barker in general just comes up short for me . Decent Euro fighter that world titliest's are happy to take on as a defense. I don't see Barker as being a step up from Mundine and Strum.

Good to see him taking the opportunity to fight in the US again though. Eddie can line the tough fights up alright, the beauty of having a big stable. Barker should make a few bob.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

Last time I saw Barker fight I was impressed with what appeared to be a more bulked up, spiteful version. He's an excellent boxer but seemed a little too amateur in his style until then.

Very much looking forward to this!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down