The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darren Barker RETIRES!

+13
KingMonkey
Mr Bounce
eddyfightfan
Rowley
rIck_dAgless
hogey
Seanusarrilius
Strongback
hampo17
owen10ozzy
Izzi
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
17 posters

Go down

Darren Barker RETIRES! Empty Darren Barker RETIRES!

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

Breaking news......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25744071

no details as yet, guessing injury related.

thoughts?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Darren Barker RETIRES! Empty Re: Darren Barker RETIRES!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:13 pm

He done well can be proud. Not every fighter becomes an ATG but like footballers when they retire they want to be able to look back and say they won this and that. Barker can look back and say he got his shot, took it and fought in big shows.

Good luck to him.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

Seems like a really nice guy, feel bad that he got it totally wrong in his last fight and goes out on that performance. He's been through some pretty big fights and shipped a fair bit of heat, so guess Father Time just caught up with him as he was never the most elusive fighter.

Hope sky now use him regularly and possibly to replace Jim Watt, he'd make a pretty decent commentator.

Best of luck to the guy though

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

Agree.

Think he can be proud of what he achieved. Legitimately beat a world title holder for his belt, putting in a great performance.

Just a pity the way he went out, dislocated hip taking the title from him versus a putz like Sturm.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

Credit to British boxing for me. Was always a gentleman outside the ring; knows his stuff about boxing and came across as someone who was just always appreciative of being able to go out there and do what he did. Even through the injuries he never became bitter about missing out on top fights & world title shots...he just went back to the drawing board and worked harder. Eventually it all paid off and he won a version of the World title.

Perhaps it wasn't 'The Title' and some will always discredit it as just another Mickey Mouse belt but for someone like Barker it was the be end and end all of what he worked his entire career for. Got a nice pay day in his final fight, the silver lining to what was ultimately a disappointing night.

Best wishes in everything he does; I'd imagine he will become a focal point of the punditry team come fight night on Skysports from here on out!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

One of the sport's nice guys. Sad to see his final fight end like that but with a genuine injury as a reason for it one hopes he won't be tempted to return to the ring like other fighters who didn't want to be remembered for being spark out or knocked silly.

Wish him all the best...shame he couldn't have faced Macklin and Murray and it's too bad that Andy Lee is likely to get elevated in Barker's place without, IMO, being as good.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm

Barker wasn't fit going in to that Sturm fight for me, but went ahead anyway for the pay day. Wish him all the best as he's had nothing but trouble in his career due to his body constantly letting him down.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

He got £1m (less fees) for the Sturm fight, right?

If so, and if he can get a little bit of here and there work from Sky or similar, then that should be enough for him to provide for his family for a long while yet, if he's sensible.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

I thought he retired right after the fight.

He certainly hurt his hip badly versus Strum but there is no way it was dislocated.

He fulfilled his potential and that is all that can be asked. He was a good pro and did very well to keep going given his hip problems. I'd like to hear more about his training methods.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm

Yeah toppy, he got a career high pay day for that fight I believe and as you say, a bit of work here and there for Sky he should be able to live comfortably.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:12 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10574061/Former-British-European-Commonwealth-and-World-middleweight-champion-Darren-Barker-forced-to-retire.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

Well done Darren Barker. Will always be a former World Champ. He made a good lump of cash and retired with faculties intact. Seems like a really nice bloke, too. Wish him all the best.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 15 Jan 2014, 3:20 pm

His career was finished pretty much even before he got in the ring to face Sturm once that injury started playing up in prefight training the writing was on the wall. Think thats why he went out swinging in the first round to try and end it quick as he could as he was never gonna hold up more than a round or two. Barker is a nice fella and a credit to the sport so i am glad he managed to leave it with a good payday.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 15 Jan 2014, 3:27 pm

Supplied one of my personal highlights of the boxing year, so good luck in his future endeavours, gald he got out unscathed!

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

Can only echo the general good vibes. Always rated Barker and think but for his injury issues he could have been a force. Very sound fundamentals and on the rare occasions he was confident in his fitness had a bit of power. However none of that diminishes what he achieved, his fight against Geale was a belter and he deserved the win in that one.

Think this is the right decision though, with his injury record carrying on would seem foolhardy. Hope Sky find him a place on their commentary team as has always come across as intelligent and articulate when I have seen him and so would be a welcome addition.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 15 Jan 2014, 4:13 pm

i once sneaked into the ringside seats watching brook vs hatton, and found myself stood next to barker. i was extremely drunk and was probably talking utter nonsense to him, but he shook my hand and talked to me through the entire fight, complete gent, im sure if it was anyone else i was annoying id have been removed from the arena.

not many people can say they came of the floor to win a genune world title, so barker can retire happy. he seems very intelligent and knowledgable so hopefully sky take him on as a pundit.

shame we never saw him fight murray but at least he has fought at the highest level

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 15 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

Credit to the sport. He should enjoy his retirement. I expect to see him working ringside for the TV companies fairly soon, after he's had a well-earned break.  Ale 

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 15 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm

Nice guy but he didn't injure himself in the fight against Sturm, it was gone before he got in the ring and he knew it. I don't blame him for going in there and looking/hoping for the EKO what with the pay-day and all but I do feel sorry for the fans he duped in the process who spent money travelling to support him.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 15 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

Not many can say they were British, European, Commonwealth and world champion, he's achieved more than his body was willing to let him. A credit to British sport, enjoy retirement Dazza.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:10 am

Shame that Barker's gone out with yet another injury. 

He's a good guy and I enjoyed watching him fight. 

He become a world champion. And his only two defeats came to the best middleweight in the world and a former 3 time middleweight champion. So no shame in either defeat.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

Now barker has retired he's a genuine world champion......even though Martinez and GGG are at the same weight.....

yet all I heard was Broner is a paper champion while he was unbeaten......

Respect to Barker he fulfilled his potential and one can only hope he keeps his bucks and has a good future..

Always like Over-achievers.....and he was one...

But genuine World champion.........No... Not while his executioner was still champ at the weight!!........Paper champion .....Yes.....

But nice guy and hope all goes well..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:30 pm

He won a genuine version of a World Title Truss.

I get the fact there are to many champions and watered down titles etc...but that being said sometimes I wonder whether we would be better off having just 'one' belt...which many seem to think is the solution to all the problems.

For a start, given they get to make 1 voluntary defence every now and then could you imagine some of the fights we would see? It would also mean that people would be hanging around for ages to fight 'the champion'...

For instance...assume Martinez was the sole middleweight champion...defended his title twice against Chavez then Murray...gets injured...GGG, Sturm, Quillin all wait around for a shot...none of them fighting any kind of threat for fear of losing and therefore surrendering a title shot...

Martinez decides to retire...the belt becomes vacant. GGG fights Sturm for it? Are either of them truly the champion given they didn't ever get a chance to fight Martinez?!

I'm in agreement that the amount of belts we have now is far too many....but I don't for a second believe that only one person in the whole world is worthy of being called a champion because for whatever reason someone may never get a shot at them.

3 main belts at a push 4 isn't a bad thing. The onus is then on the fighters/promoter & sanctioning body to get the title holders fighting each other to prove who is the 'Undisputed Champion'.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:46 pm

Much of what you say is true......But it doesn't help his argument when Martinez is champion with him....

But I'm being pedantic I guess and why should he care what a stupid old Yank thinks....

Like I said good luck to him......He overachieved and I admire overachievers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm

Nice guy by all accounts but his career was a bit of a disappointment with all the injuries and never getting those good domestic fights made.

Hard to say if he over/underacheived. I dont rate his world title win as a real world title. In reality he won a close fight against maybe the 4th best middleweight in the world at the time and did ok in his proper world title match but nothing spectacular. So he reached up to become maybe the 4th best middleweight in the world and a title challenger for a brief time which for me is probably about right given his potential and injury trouble.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down