The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are all Kiwis short?

+9
Effervescing Elephant
Cari
TheGreyGhost
Biltong
blackcanelion
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Metal Tiger
mystiroakey
rugbyfan
13 posters

Go down

Are all Kiwis short? Empty Are all Kiwis short?

Post by rugbyfan Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 am

I must make it clear that I'm not condoning what went on, but I love this quote from the hotel worker at the centre of the 'lewd comments' story.

‘I’m just 5ft 1in tall, and these guys towered over me,’ she said. ‘They were the tallest guys I have ever seen.

Now Hartley and Ashton are probably no more than 6ft max and Haskell may be 6ft3, but surely she's seen taller people in her life!

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Are all Kiwis short? Empty Re: Are all Kiwis short?

Post by mystiroakey Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 am

she may have got confused by therre overall presence- big muscley tallish lads, Few and far between in noraml society.

anyway the girl has obviously had a nice pay day- hopefully not to much , because the whole story is a farce, it was less than normal laddish talk by the sounds of it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

I don't know about being short but the couple the wife & I met on holiday seemed to have a problem with pronouncing 'E' as 'I' in their words...

i.e. instead of PEG they say PIG

The Ozzies we were with constantly took the Pii (sorry I mean Pee) out of them for this.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 am

Theres a reason they shot Lord of The Rings there.

Metal Tiger wrote:I don't know about being short but the couple the wife & I met on holiday seemed to have a problem with pronouncing 'E' as 'I' in their words...

The Ozzies we were with constantly took the Pii (sorry I mean Pee) out of them for this.

They cant count to 10 without mentioning "sex" and they have a go out our brave boys for a bit of "carry on" humour, honestly.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 am

She's English isn't she. So maybe you should substitute the English for New Zealander. Wink

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

Not all New zealanders play rugby, so not everyone is always big and muscular.

err, do all New Zealanders play rugby?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 am

blackcanelion wrote:She's English isn't she. So maybe you should substitute the English for New Zealander. Wink

Hartleys a New Zealander isnt he?

I think we need a title edit here.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Metal Tiger wrote:I don't know about being short but the couple the wife & I met on holiday seemed to have a problem with pronouncing 'E' as 'I' in their words...

They cant count to 10 without mentioning "sex" and they have a go out our brave boys for a bit of "carry on" humour, honestly.

I think you will find the problem is that the English transpose the letters E or A when they speak. The one's who can read and write, that is. Most of the younger ones seem to be trying to borrow the Jamaican accent, and are barely intelligible, or literate. Although if you need to know the way to the local JD's on riot days, you can just follow the trail of spit.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

I think you will find the problem is that the English transpose the letters E or A when they speak. The one's who can read and write, that is. Most of the younger ones seem to be trying to borrow the Jamaican accent, and are barely intelligible, or literate. Although if you need to know the way to the local JD's on riot days, you can just follow the trail of spit.

you mean 'the ones who can read and write' Very Happy

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 am

rugbyfan wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

yYou mean 'the ones who can read and write'.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 am

I'm 5'9" and judging by some I've met not all Kiwi's are short. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 am

rugbyfan wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

Good point. I did mean that.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

I think you will find the problem is that the English transpose the letters E or A when they speak. The one's who can read and write, that is. Most of the younger ones seem to be trying to borrow the Jamaican accent.

Ahh, the exuberance of youth, trying to emulate something that is seen as cool or trendy. It's perfectly natural to borrow or adopt things from other cultures, just as I'm sure NZ borrow from the cultures around them like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. Very Happy

TheGreyGhost wrote:
...are barely intelligible, or literate. Although if you need to know the way to the local JD's on riot days, you can just follow the trail of spit.

Sorry, were you commenting upon the unemployment & alcohol problems amongst NZ's youth?

Every where has their problems.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:01 am

Metal Tiger wrote:
Ahh, the exuberance of youth, trying to emulate something that is seen as cool or trendy. It's perfectly natural to borrow or adopt things from other cultures, just as I'm sure NZ borrow from the cultures around them like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. Very Happy

True, but if you're going to have a pop at another country for a ridiculous accent, your on sketchy ground if you come from the home of ridiculous accents.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 am

Check it.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=cockney&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skysports.com%2Fstory%2F0%2C19528%2C12062_7204145%2C00.html

Respect.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:

True, but if you're going to have a pop at another country for a ridiculous accent, your on sketchy ground if you come from the home of ridiculous accents.

Hes not from Newcastle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

Ahhh.... getting precious are we? And no that's not a hobbit joke... well maybe.

As for ridiculous accents, this is England don't you know, we have a goverment dept for everything. 2nd office on the left just past the ministry of silly walks. You should have visited it on arrival in our fair land.

I say "our" land because as you are a UK citizen now, you can either whinge about it or do something about it, but now your a pom yourself, whinging is the british way! Hug
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm from Devon so you all talk like foreigners to me...
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:05 pm

BTW we can count to ten without mentioning sex. We say our I's like U's, NOT E's!

I haven't met anyone that can do a Kiwi accent perfectly though. Even more tragic than our vowel raping monotone is people's attempts to mimic it. You gotta do it well if you're gonna take the michael!

I remember the average height of the NZ cricket team was like 6'3 at some point (in relation to the original topic). I'm 6' and my 'little' brother is 6'6. Makes me feel like a dwarf!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Are all Kiwis short ? Ask Jonah Lomu OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Are all Kiwis short ? Ask Jonah Lomu OK

Why specifically Lomu? Do all Tongans study the average height of NZ'ers or just him?

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Kiwis pronounce ALL vowels as if they were I. Except I which they pronounce as U. As in the famous "Fush & Chups"

Are they short? Well they fielded a 22 with about 8 players over 6'4" a week or 2 ago.

Or do you mean are they short? Like you know....downstairs like.

The people with the biggest mickeys on the planet are the Native Americans and the Irish. F.A.C.T

I should know. My real name is Tonto O'Reilly.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down