The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should you line your ball up?

+21
Sand
JAS
4putt
Davie
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
George1507
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JDandfries
drive4show
Lairdy
Maverick
Gareth_NI
Eyetoldyouso
McLaren
Doc
oldparwin
super_realist
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
barragan
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

should you line your ball up?

should you line your ball up? Vote_lcap87%should you line your ball up? Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 34 ]
should you line your ball up? Vote_lcap13%should you line your ball up? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 39

should you line your ball up? Empty should you line your ball up?

Post by barragan Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

i always have done: mark, a quick clean, then line up the logo on the ball with the target line.

but is it against the spirit of the game? you don't get to mark and line up your ball for any other shot - it almost feels a little like cheating.

it can also slow up play: when you have someone meticulously lining their ball up for every putt, even a 18 inch tap in.

barragan

Back to top Go down

should you line your ball up? Empty Re: should you line your ball up?

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:45 pm

As one great guy is always quoted :" Take every advantage you can".

I line up the logo for putts & for my drive.

Though I don't have a caddie stand behind me & line me up. notworthy
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Never seen the problem with it, you can line it up off the tee if you like.

In fact you are effectively lining it up when you stand behind the ball and pick something immediately in front of the ball to swing through.

I first started lining up my putts a few years back, this really helped by putting because I could be confident I had the line right.

Plumb lining my putts and chip shots also helps.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Not sure of the question, I do not put a line on my ball to help me lining it when putting, but yes I pick out a line I want to hit my ball of the tee.

I do not see anything wrong with people who put a line on their ball, to help them with putting, in fact now most putters have lines on them to assist with lining your ball up, and all are well within the rules/spirit of the game.

What I believe is wrong is for the caddy to stand behind you and line up the club for you, and we see that on the tee's and the greens, that should not be allowed, I would say it is against the the rules and the spirit of the game.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

I'm going to abdicate on voting here for a couple of reasons.

1) Marking has been accepted for many years, and if its not in the spirit of the game, then balls should not be allowed to be dimple marked so that you can see the roll on the ball after being hit ...

2) If it was not allowed it would stop a lot of ball marking issues - Poulter man sausage-up and the reviled Saltman issue etc.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

I believe the term is cheater line.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

Doc, It wouldn't stop the Poulter issue because that wasn't as much to do with a line on the ball as dropping the ball on the marker. It could happen regardless of whether the player uses a line or not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

McLaren wrote:I believe the term is cheater line.
And in which universe is that term used?
For some people the line is basically useless. We have all seen the player line up the putt using the line and as soon as the ball is struck it is obvious that it hasn't been hit properly or on the line intended.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

super_realist wrote:Doc, It wouldn't stop the Poulter issue because that wasn't as much to do with a line on the ball as dropping the ball on the marker. It could happen regardless of whether the player uses a line or not.

SR exactly my point, if the ball wasn't allowed to be marked it wouldn't have happened

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I use the logo to line up my ball on the tee and on the green; use a divot/prominent blade of grass/other when on fairway/rough/fringe of the green.

Certainly don't believe the notion of this being cheating or an unfair advantage as practically everyone I've ever played with does the same. It would constitute cheating if i was ripping up divots in front of my ball, lining/hitting my shot then replacing said divot.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

McLaren wrote:I believe the term is cheater line.

take it that term is only used by you then mac... Never heard anyone else use it and if it's within the laws of the game how on earth is it cheating care to elaborate on that with some naff excuse.

I do not mark a line on my ball as I find it in my own head at least detracts from trusting my own alignment and stroke. As I say thats in my own mind but if it helps someone then it doesn't matter as it's perfectly allowed.

If were talking about marking the ball on the green I always a foreign coin no idea why just always have done since i was about 17 currently using an old American 50cent

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:25 pm

A small Portugues coin that has a hole in the middle, its my lucky coin because when used i always drop the ball in ..... NOT

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

The ball marking thing cannot be changed, as it was introduced for a reason. Without allowing balls to be marked, the greens would become pockmarked, and in wet conditions balls could plug making putting impossible without damaging the green. You can't really say 'play it where it lyes' can you. The protection of the greens allows play almost all year around.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

Don't see a problem with it but I'd rather spend more time picturing the whole putt than making sure I've lined the ball up correctly. Waste of time for me.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

Horses for courses. It's not against the rules, it works for some people and not for others.

Bit like long putters really Run

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

I dont mark a line on my ball, I draw something on it instead, and I like to have this facing backwards when I putt - just looks right

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

I have found that when I look at a putt from behind the ball, my perception of the break is different to my perception when I am standing over ready to putt. Makes sense really as the angle is different.
For some reason when I am standing over the ball I see more break in the putt. Using a line on the ball has therefore really helped me with holing out. I've been doing it for a year now... sometimes it is hard to trust the line but it works for me.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

Its probably quite handy for practicing and checking how good a roll you are putting on the ball. I think I will look at doing it for that reason...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

It's simple, plumb bob to determine break, line up ball to break, hit at right pace. Bob's your mothers brother, more putts holed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

Plumb bob?! Shocked You know that only gives you the slope beneath your feet?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Never been a fan of the plumb bob method myself either. Tend to look at putt from what is deemed the low side of the hole to determine slope and then behind ball for break always picking out as a spot as possible as my specific aim point then rolling the ball at that point, works for me.

Also when addressing the ball over a putt and on the tee I always place the manufacturers logo in position of where clubface meets ball don't know why just something I've got a habit of doing. But when over a putt I like to look down and see the white of the ball directly beneath me no markings or anything just feels natural that way and helps not detract from what I've deemed the correct line

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

I voted yes as it's within the laws but I never do it. It slows the whole game down and is useless and a distraction if you don't convince yourself it's absolutely pointing the right direction. I actively avoid having any line/mark on the ball of any sort pointing vaguely in the direction of the hole and trust my eye and setup.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

Do you all know that some golf balls have seams, and if you line the ball up so that you are hitting the seam (typically with your tee shot) it will fly further?

For Pro V1s, that's 5 yards over the same hit on the plain surface of the ball.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

I voted yes as well as almost everyone else, but I have never marked my ball in any way, and I do not line up the logo. It is always as it comes out of the hand, either on the green or tee for me. Cannot see any reason to do it.

I check the break from the low side and behind - while my playing partners are doing the same - will then stand behind the ball having 1 practice swing while looking at the hole, when it is my turn, I will stand up to the ball, aim for the spot I have marked for the borrow, easy back..................and then twitch the damn thing off the green!! Doh
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

oldshanker wrote:I voted yes as well as almost everyone else, but I have never marked my ball in any way, and I do not line up the logo. It is always as it comes out of the hand, either on the green or tee for me. Cannot see any reason to do it.

I check the break from the low side and behind - while my playing partners are doing the same - will then stand behind the ball having 1 practice swing while looking at the hole, when it is my turn, I will stand up to the ball, aim for the spot I have marked for the borrow, easy back..................and then twitch the damn thing off the green!! Doh

Shanker.... I've seen you putt, whereas you've seen me shank Yikes
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:
oldshanker wrote:I voted yes as well as almost everyone else, but I have never marked my ball in any way, and I do not line up the logo. It is always as it comes out of the hand, either on the green or tee for me. Cannot see any reason to do it.

Shanker.... I've seen you putt, whereas you've seen me shank Yikes

Sounds like an interesting day out you 2 had together, hope you mopped up after yourselves!!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:51 pm

I'm really interested to know how some of the better players here can "see" the line of the putt when they stand over the ball if they don't line up a logo or line on the ball

Until about 3 years ago I never lined the ball up either - I could stand behind the ball and (usually) see the line I wanted but once I addressed the ball - basically standing at 90 degrees to the line, I just couldn't see it anymore. I was reknowned for hitting good speed but simply missing the line by as much as 2 or 3 feet.

Now I pick the line from behind the ball and line up a logo - then just concentrate on weight and hit through the line I've previously decided on

I could never set the ball off on the line I wanted when I was stood at 90 degrees to the path

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

[quote="Noshankingtonite"]
oldshanker wrote: Shanker.... I've seen you putt, whereas you've seen me shank Yikes

True Bruv true!

I suspect JAS is going to get a close up and personal view of your shanks this weekend as well. Just read on another thread that it is expected to be blowing a hoolie down there. I can see one or seven balls still rising as they go over the cliff, especially with that subtle power fade of yours NST! Whistle

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

Davie wrote:I'm really interested to know how some of the better players here can "see" the line of the putt when they stand over the ball if they don't line up a logo or line on the ball

Until about 3 years ago I never lined the ball up either - I could stand behind the ball and (usually) see the line I wanted but once I addressed the ball - basically standing at 90 degrees to the line, I just couldn't see it anymore. I was reknowned for hitting good speed but simply missing the line by as much as 2 or 3 feet.

Now I pick the line from behind the ball and line up a logo - then just concentrate on weight and hit through the line I've previously decided on

I could never set the ball off on the line I wanted when I was stood at 90 degrees to the path

For me it comes down to a natural vision thing. Many people like yourself have trouble maintaining the same line when stood over the ball as your line of sight changes when stood at 90degrees. This is something my brother also struggles with and his handicap is 1 so it's not something that just afflicts medium or higher handicaps. When he addresses the ball he does the same thing you decribed and aligns to a line drawn on the ball aimed at his target line from behind the hole. When he doesn't do this he misses to the right side of the hole by quite some way. It can be something as simple as you have one dominant eye which pushes your focus slightly to whichever side that is, certainly with my brother it does with his right eye.

I find that picking a small specific aim point allows to see the same line when stood at 90degrees, e.g. I'll pick a specific blade of grass inside the hole on a short and aim to hit that with the ball or on a longer putt a specific thing on line with what i deem is the correct line of putt something like a twig slightly further away then I picture in my mind the ball rolling that line and into the hole. Mind you all is easier said than done, but for me having a line on my ball puts everything that feels natural like i described out the window and just cannot get comfortable over the ball

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:38 am

I voted "no". Mainly because the yes option isn't a valid point in my objection to using a ball line.
My main objection to lining a ball up is that it has slowed the game down. I've played with golfers who have walked the putt 360 degrees, taken ages looking from behind the putt and then taken 3 or 4 attempts to get the ball lined up properly, only to leave the putt 10 feet short or blast it 20 feet past and then go through the process again.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:57 am

Mav, I also like to have just the white of the ball to look at when putting and I pretty much line up putts the same way you describe.

Davie, I used to wonder where my line went when I addressed the ball. I then learned about eye dominance and the plane of your gaze etc. Its all kinda complicated but what you want is a putting mirror to find what eye position over the ball makes the line look correct to you. Line up a small straight putt from behind and pick a mark/blade of grass a foot or so infront of the ball on the line. Then get over ball and the mirror and move your eyes over the ball, behind it, inside the line, on the line, outside the line etc., tilt your head/gaze back, tilt your gaze forward etc. Decide what position lines up best - the putter head, mark on the line and the hole. Simples!!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

4putt wrote:I voted "no". Mainly because the yes option isn't a valid point in my objection to using a ball line.
My main objection to lining a ball up is that it has slowed the game down. I've played with golfers who have walked the putt 360 degrees, taken ages looking from behind the putt and then taken 3 or 4 attempts to get the ball lined up properly, only to leave the putt 10 feet short or blast it 20 feet past and then go through the process again.

That's horrendous isn't it? That's one of my main problems with it.

Davie

I'm not sure I see the problem re. the apparent line altering when you're stood over, as opposed to, behind the ball. I tend to line up behind and come to some sort of conclusion about how many inches/foot etc left or right of the hole I think the putt is. I then pick a mark on the green in line with that near me, stand up, line up with that mark and try to make sure I hit it over that mark. I usually have a look from the side quickly as well to get ideas about the incline if any as well. Recently, just before I hit it I've been looking at the place either side of the hole I think the putt has to start and then slowly following an imaginary line back to my putter face - if it's good I hit it pretty much straight away and if it seems a bit off being square to that imaginary line, I make a final adjustment and hit it. Not sure it helps but my last few rounds have been pretty good on the putting front with a lot of 6 - 15 footers holed.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:18 am

Putting to me is a bit like snooker/pool. Your first instinct/read when you get behind the ball is usually correct. I try to trust my read on that basis.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Personally I wouldn't draw a line on my ball, I think that, in reality would only serve to confuse matters for some, what with most putters already having some sort of line on them.

i prefer to read a putt with just the marker down, and ball in my hand/pocket or wherever - I look at it and imagine the ball running along a train track to the hole, thats how I pick the line and that is what I am thinking of over the ball - all i gotta do is set it off along that track!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:07 pm

I do not know if its an age thing or not, but I seem to be able to read, the line of the putt better, from behind the hole?

Sorry for being of topic, but thought it interesting

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

I simply cant believe 4 people voted NO.... Have a look at most balls nowadays...the manufacturers put a small alignment line on the ball for you so why wouldn't you take advantage of it if you wanted to...Why not get all the lines taken off putter heads too and the wee line down the the bottom of most grips. What about marker posts on blind tee-shots as well?? How very dare we use alignment aids to help us in this insanity inducing game, we should all be shot at dawn for cheating!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

JAS wrote:I simply cant believe 4 people voted NO.... Have a look at most balls nowadays...the manufacturers put a small alignment line on the ball for you so why wouldn't you take advantage of it if you wanted to...Why not get all the lines taken off putter heads too and the wee line down the the bottom of most grips. What about marker posts on blind tee-shots as well?? How very dare we use alignment aids to help us in this insanity inducing game, we should all be shot at dawn for cheating!!

That's all well and good JAS....assuming a) your putter/club grip is put on square (they often aren't) and b) if putting, you are convinced in your own mind that you've got the alignment aid(s) pointing in the right direction. I find it distracting using the ball alignment aid(s) for putting and I really hate the fact that their use, in general, has added additional time to a round as Joe Chopper spends an age aligning and re-aligning his/her ball only to either get the pace completely wrong and/or miss the hole completely in any case!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

Apologies if this has been touched on already in this thread, just a query. One of my friends who I play golf with occasionally, marks his ball with a solid black line all the way round. I knew you were allowed to do it half way round, just wondered if its in the rules that you can do it all the way round?

Personally think this is a bit OTT, I just line up using the logo on the ball and works more than fine for me.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

Well, being a sphere you can only ever see one half at a time, so I dont' think it really matters

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

Sand wrote:Apologies if this has been touched on already in this thread, just a query. One of my friends who I play golf with occasionally, marks his ball with a solid black line all the way round. I knew you were allowed to do it half way round, just wondered if its in the rules that you can do it all the way round?

Personally think this is a bit OTT, I just line up using the logo on the ball and works more than fine for me.
Depends whether you want to be accused of nicking the range balls...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

Both fair points. Just wondered and certainly not for me but then again not me hitting his golf ball.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

JAS wrote:I simply cant believe 4 people voted NO.... Have a look at most balls nowadays...the manufacturers put a small alignment line on the ball for you so why wouldn't you take advantage of it if you wanted to...Why not get all the lines taken off putter heads too and the wee line down the the bottom of most grips. What about marker posts on blind tee-shots as well?? How very dare we use alignment aids to help us in this insanity inducing game, we should all be shot at dawn for cheating!!

jas, choosing a target in the distance or a blade of grass in front of you is a different concept to having an alignment aid build into the ball or putter. there is far more skill involved in getting the head of an iron square with the target than getting the putter head square because of the line on the ball and on the putterhead making it so easy to get it right.

right now i'm not convinced either way. putting is certainly easier when using the logo on the ball to line it up. as it is within the rules to do so, i, like most on here seemingly, take advantage of the fact. the question was specifically whether being able to use these aids was within the spirit of the game. just because its within the rules doesn't necessarily make this a closed book, especially as no one seems to have offered an argument 'for' alignment aids being within the spirit of the game - the closest we've come appears to be, 'well its within the rules, it makes it easier for me - so why question it?'

as an aside, i've been finding my accuracy over the last couple of rounds has improved a lot as i've been taking the time to square my irons and wedges to the target properly. can't seem to get comfortable over the driver though, any tips on getting the clubhead square on the longer clubs?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

b_b, I'd imagine it could be the case where you have to practice alignment with the longer clubs at the range. Get the tour sticks and shafts down and get yourself used to what square looks like with the driver. I've have a tendency to drift to closed with the longer clubs, which isn't great for trying to rid an OTT move, so I've been paying careful attention to alignment and it takes sometime to get comfortable with what is truly square.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

I'm always intrigued by this saying 'within the spirit of the game'. I've never seen a definition of what it means. Golf is a competitive sport, when I play in a competition I'm out there trying to win. As long as I have stayed within the rules of the game then I don't see a problem. If using an alignment aid is within the rules then what's the problem? There are lots of artificial aids in golf like markings on clubs, wet weather gloves etc so should we ban all of these things?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:24 pm

Agreed D4S. We all know there are times when the rules of the game (if correctly applied) can help us massively when taking a free drop (or penalty relief).

Sometimes, use a knowledge of the rules can seem (to an outside observer) almost tantamount to cheating - is that against the "spirit of the game"?

Of course there are times when the strict rules can seem most unfair - but it's quite common to hear people say that knowing the rules can gain quite an advantage.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

Davie wrote:
Sometimes, use a knowledge of the rules can seem (to an outside observer) almost tantamount to cheating - is that against the "spirit of the game"?
Probably not Davie. But what about if it's your partner who needs the ruling? You'd be entitled not to say anything if he didn't specifically ask you, but would it be against the spirit of the game not to point out to him that he could improve his situation?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

Christ, the way people go on about not using the rules because they might go against the arbitary term known as "spirit of the game" you'd think people found the game too easy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:33 am

Lining up the ball is fine. My only objection to it is when some hacker lines it up, steps back, lines it up again, steps back, lines it up again etc etc... drives me NUTS.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:04 pm

I use a line and think that it actually speeds me up as I am confident when I step up to the ball I have the line I want. Previously I would find that I would pick a mark to aim at, get over the ball and find it really difficult to see it from above then end up going back to start again or hitting a putt so bad I was taking more shots anyway.

It has made me a lot better as it is one less thing to think about when I am over the ball.

People who spend ages going backwards and forwards, realigning, etc is a different problem and the same as people who spend ages on other shots waiting to select a club, 10 practice swings, back for another look, etc. That is just basic time wasting. That is the same from hacker to pro. And a lot of hackers are only following what they see on TV.

What difference is it is if I use a line to line up and someone else picks a piece of grass. We are both picking a line to go at based on our reading of the green. The line doesn't automatically line up with the break. Or should we all just close our eyes? I am very into spirit or the rules, probably more than the actual rules and I think this is fine.

Interesting debate though and while I disagree with some I find it really interesting to see others opinions.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

Well, MAC certainly isn't the only person to use that term. I've heard it used plenty and for some years now.

WARNING .... this is a link to a discussion on another website that dissected this topic ad nauseam. Some VERY strong points of view ...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29286.0.html

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next