The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tigers ball

+9
navyblueshorts
super_realist
incontinentia
pedro
barragan
gaelgowfer
hend085
1GrumpyGolfer
busted
13 posters

Go down

tigers ball Empty tigers ball

Post by busted Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:36 pm

Anyone think that Tigers ball DIDNT move ? or that he didnt see it ?
how come he wasnt DQ'd , it was very obvious surely !

busted

Back to top Go down

tigers ball Empty Re: tigers ball

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:54 pm

He wasn't DQ'd because he adjusted his score to take the penalty before he signed his card.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:01 pm

Should be DQ'd for not calling the penalty on himself IMO.

It was even close.

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

I give him the benefit of doubt when it actually happened but for him to argue against the officials while they were viewing the tape with him was blatant attempt at cheating.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:35 pm

busted wrote:Anyone think that Tigers ball DIDNT move ? or that he didnt see it ?
how come he wasnt DQ'd , it was very obvious surely !
busted ... he must've seen the ball move as he claimed it oscillated.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:44 pm

yeah, after the event , when questioned about it.
He stopped moving twigs and leaves pretty sharpish after that too.

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:46 pm

I was surprised and very disappointed with him tbh . I am or at least was a fan, but to me that was just cheating

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 20 Sep 2013, 3:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXaH1wfawA

Looking at the video coverage again, I really don't see how he could claim the ball just oscillated.  The ball was resting against a twig and when he moved it, the ball moved with it.  There's is no way an oscillating ball travels uphill!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 20 Sep 2013, 4:50 pm

pretty conclusive. did the same thing myself in the wednesday medal this week. nobody was watching... no cameras... no $10M pay cheque at stake. it was still painful admitting to it, but i'd have been racked with guilt if i'd not declared it to my fellow competitors and taken the penalty.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 20 Sep 2013, 8:02 pm

What do you think about an official coming to him after the round "recommending" him to call a penalty on himself? (Would not have happended to your average unknown Asian tour player - even if it was caught on tape.)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:24 pm

busted wrote:Should be DQ'd for not calling the penalty on himself IMO.

It was even close.
is that grounds for disqualification?

haven't seen the video but it sounds damning from what you guys are saying. apparently he was being privately mocked by his fellow players after the incident. 'oscillation' being used as a punchline/ catchphrase of sorts. seems he is losing the locker room as well as his respect for the rules.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 21 Sep 2013, 8:41 am

Even the most strident, rose tinted Nine Chins apologist couldn't excuse this Inco. The video showing the position of the dirt on the ball is as clear as day.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 21 Sep 2013, 8:51 am

The only thing oscillating is my middle finger.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 21 Sep 2013, 10:30 am

It's a tiny movement, but it moved. Did TW see it move? Only he knows but it's hard to think he didn't suspect it moved...in which case surely he should have discussed it with his partner(s) and, if in doubt, called the penalty.

I have some sympathy, in general, with him however as this trial by slo-mo HD video is not equitable for all players and is, therefore, unfair.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 21 Sep 2013, 10:39 am

Considering the breaks and dubious rules calls that have gone in his favour over they years, as the football commentators cliche goes, "they probably even themselves out over a season"

He's got to take the rough with the smooth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 21 Sep 2013, 12:08 pm

I think it's easy to excuse him not seeing it move in real time. To argue with the replays after as he did though is laughable
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 21 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

Even in the extremely unlikely event he didn't see it move (why wouldn't he have been looking?) he almost certainly will have felt it on dry twigs like that.

Perhaps he was "so tired" that his eyes were closed and he was half asleep so he didn't feel it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 21 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I think it's easy to excuse him not seeing it move in real time. To argue with the replays after as he did though is laughable
Exactly MPB, at first I thought, well his eyeline/view was from above the ball so from that line of vision perhaps he only saw the "oscillation". But....to then argue the point after that video replay clearly showing movement was a bit shocking to be honest.

Yes it must be desperately frustrating for him to be under the microscope more than any other player but if this is the kind of stuff he gets up to then yeah...he needs to stay under the microscope. With 5 wins under his belt this year it looked like it would only be a matter of time before he resumed the dominant position in the game again but by the way the Majors have run away from him this year and incidents like this surfacing I think he's now touching on desperation. He could go away and work like stink over the winter and come back next year and have 6 or 7 wins with a couple of Majors but I think the reality is that he's now built up too much mental scar tissue to ever be the player he once was. He might not win at all next year, does make you think how long he would mentally take not winning before deciding to walk away.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 21 Sep 2013, 5:54 pm

Having looked at the video, isn't it possible the ball could have oscillated in Tiger's direction without actually moving?

some of those youtube comments are disgusting, especially the one from notformebeaky.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Sat 21 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm

Agreed jas. a golfers mind is the best weapon. All the greats were v tough mentally, but once it's gone that's it. Reckon les tigros could be done. Be interesting to see just how tough he really is. Hard game if everyone hates you, and the putts don't drop.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 21 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

incontinentia wrote:Having looked at the video, isn't it possible the ball could have oscillated in Tiger's direction without actually moving?

some of those youtube comments are disgusting, especially the one from notformebeaky.
Incon, I would be prepared to accept that from his eyeline view at the time of the incident that he MAY not have seen movement, only oscillation but he was shown that video (which was from a different angle) and that CLEARLY shows movement. To continue to try and argue the point once he'd seen that is quite quite sad and desperate. There is an element of sympathy in that he never gained an advantage from the movement but that's not the point. Bobby Jones famously called a foul on himself that no-one else saw. Go through most of the other greats of the game and I bet that most would have the honour to call it on themselves. I'm really quite unpleasantly surprised that Tiger can't see that he's ruining his reputation and standing in the game by falling foul of the rules AND contesting decisions that really, he should be accepting with a bit more humility, grace and dignity.

...and yes Monty I think next year will be the year we find out how tough he really is. He could of course work like a Trojan over the winter and come out all guns blazing next year and clean up or he could continue this demon battling scrambling, "oscillating" between the sublime and the absolutely awful (like yesterdays round)

Last edited by JAS on Sat 21 Sep 2013, 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 21 Sep 2013, 9:32 pm

I wonder how many of the average club players really abide by the rules in instances like that. As a keen watcher of pro golf on TV it only server to increase my awareness of this situation (though I already knew the rules) but I often see people clearing twigs and leaves away from a ball without apparently worrying too much about the ball moving a fraction.

Certainly was in the forefront of my mind just today when I found myself in a very similar lie to Tiger's in this incident. Even before this furore I wouldn't have dared try to move anything too close but today I didn't risk clearing up the lie even a little bit. Even though I didn't have dozens of HD TV cameras zoomed in on my ball!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 22 Sep 2013, 7:18 pm

incontinentia wrote:Having looked at the video, isn't it possible the ball could have oscillated in Tiger's direction without actually moving?

Considering you find the harmless "luck of the Irish" to be deeply offensive and worthy of a letter to the BBC, he probably called him a plonker or a silly billy. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down