The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get the ball to the hole!!

+7
twoeightnine
Plunky
1GrumpyGolfer
barragan
kwinigolfer
super_realist
Humpyd
11 posters

Go down

Get the ball to the hole!! Empty Get the ball to the hole!!

Post by Humpyd Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

As the title says, I have real trouble in getting the ball up to and beyond the hole when putting. I am certainly someone who 'dies' the ball into the hole rather than 'rams' it in.

I have used a centre shafted Odyssey putter for years which has an insert and am thinking about getting a new putter. My question is, what sort of putter would help in getting the ball off the face quicker (and possibly with more overspin)?

The obvious answer you would think would be a heavier putter but I'm not sure if this would be better, my thinking being that the feel of a heavier head may make me hit the ball with less force with the same result i.e. short. And should I go to a non insert putter so the ball comes off a bit faster?

What are people's thoughts? (And before anyway states the obvious, I know I could save myself a few quid by just keeping my current putter and hitting the ball harder!!)

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Get the ball to the hole!! Empty Re: Get the ball to the hole!!

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

No need to hit it harder, try moving it towards the front of your stance, off the front foot and follow through more, results in putting more topspin on the ball.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

Humpy,
I've found that an oversize grip on my putter results in a less handsy stroke and a clean "strike" resulting in truer pace. It's helped me.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it would refer to chipping and pitching - leaving such shots short of the hole seems to plague most amateurs too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm

S_R, thanks for that but that involves a bit of work and practice!! I was hoping a quick fix i.e. new putter = immediate results!!

Kwini, don't get me started about chipping and pitching. Most of the time I'm happy with getting the ball on the green from this situation!!

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

Humpyd wrote:thanks for that but that involves a bit of work and practice!! I was hoping a quick fix i.e. new putter = immediate results!!
PROBLEM!! - unfortunately in this game there are no quick fixes Sad the quicker you accept this the quicker you'll get the results you're looking for -providing you put the practice in of course thumbsup
S_r's advice seems sensible enough - wouldn't listen to anything kwini says though Laugh Run

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

No real work or practice Humpty, just change the ball position and follow through.
The biggest mistake I see people make with putting is not following through enough, they stab the ball almost, and they always lift their heads. THere is nothing to be gained by lifting the head to watch and everything to be gained by keeping a still head as your stroke has a better chance of staying on line.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

Have you changed ball recently? I've seen someone really struggle to get the ball to the hole because they were playing with a softer ball than they were used to.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

sorry that was a bit cheeky kwin Hug

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm

so true super. recently i've had a few rounds where i've putted very poorly. as soon as i consciously kept my head down there was a marked improvement. also, after a winter of stabbing and thumping the ball over long winter green grass, it is taking a while to adjust back toward a nice tempo.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:39 pm

good point grumps - i've just switched back to prov1x from the srixon ad333's i've been using most of the winter - considerable difference on the greens in particular

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:39 pm

Another thing worth noting is that people often unconsciously slow down on the follow through.
Like everything it often takes someone else to see it.
Make sure you follow through with authority.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

S_R, my comments were a little tongue in cheek. I appreciate that in the game of golf generally the more (practice) you put in the more you get out.

I agree wholeheartedly with keeping your head down, something I was very guilty off in the past. I like the idea of an oversized grip though - may try that.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:44 pm

Sorry Humpy, I didn't pick up on that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

No problem S_R. thumbsup

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:20 pm

barra,
As a general rule I would say you're spot on. But the oversize grip actually helped me, simple enough that even I could relate to it and see a difference. thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:19 pm

Mr. P also recently switched to an oversize grip on the putter and likes it a lot. But he claims that if he practices with it for too long, then his hands feel funny when he grips a regular club afterwards. He also has to put up me calling him "Fatso" because that's what it says on the putter.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

Humpyd - I was having a short game lesson last year and the guy watched me putt. He then asked if I had trouble getting the ball to the hole. Obviously the answer was yes. So he moved my hands forwards and towards my body. Bingo. Before I was hitting on the upswing and the ball was flying a bit so not getting much of a roll.

Not saying that this will work for you but a lesson from someone who knows may be able to spot a small difference and make a big difference.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

Maybe the problem is mental? If your confidence is down maybe you're worried about leaving a 4 footer coming back?

You could make a conscious effort to think less and putt a bit more freely.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 21 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

This is all mental. If you switch to a heavier putter, after a couple of holes where the ball travels furthr than your old putter you will end up hitting it softer. I agree with super - still head all the way through the stroke and move the ball a little further forward in your stance (only needs to be 3 or 4 inches) to encourage an upwards stroke with more top spin.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

SR thanks for the ball well forward tip. Had heard it before but this time it stuck - I'm a slow learner! Worked to really good effect while I've been away for a couple of weeks practicing.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:45 pm

Op- have you tried a putter with more loft?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down