The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow vs N-G Dragons

+6
21st Century Schizoid Man
Dorothy_Mantooth
funnyExiledScot
youngguns6
Manky-Flanker
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
10 posters

Go down

Glasgow vs N-G Dragons Empty Glasgow vs N-G Dragons

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm

From planetrugby.co.uk:

"Glasgow Warriors will look to break new ground and record back to back RaboDirect PRO12 wins for the first time this season when they face the Dragons.

Sean Lineen's team go into the fixture fresh from securing a bonus point triumph away to Cardiff Blues last Saturday, but mindful of the failure to build on their previous big success on the road, at reigning European champions Leinster.

The week after victory in the RDS, the Warriors fell to a home defeat against Treviso, and Lineen is anxious to avoid a repeat on a night he describes as "hugely important to our season".

"It's vital that we get another positive result this weekend, both to generate a bit of momentum and to reward our home crowd, who've yet to see us win a competitive game at Firhill this season," said Lineen.

"We were very pleased with how things went in Cardiff, but the message all week has been that we've got to avoid the same drop in accuracy and decision-making we saw between the Leinster and Treviso games.

"All the elements that combined to see us win in Wales, the powerful set-piece, the clinical edge when we created opportunities, and the relentless energy from all 23 players, will need to be there once more against the Dragons.

"We've had our ups and downs against them in the past, and we know we'll be in trouble if we allow them any chinks of light in terms of how we approach the game. We're looking for another huge, 80 minute effort from the players, with urgency and precision the key ingredients.

"If we get that, we'll stand a very good chance of giving our supporters the result they deserve after the frustration of Treviso."

Following the heroics in Cardiff, Lineen has kept changes to a minimum for Friday's match. The back division are retained en-masse, while in the forwards, Ryan Grant and Chris Fusaro come in for Gordon Reid and James Eddie respectively.

Grant and Fusaro, along with Duncan Weir, today signed two-year contract extensions that will keep them at the Warriors until at least the end of May 2014.

Glasgow have suffered defeat in just one of their last six clashes with the Dragons in all competitions, but historically the teams have been closely matched.

Form: Glasgow Warriors bonus point victory at Cardiff Blues on Friday now makes it two wins in the last three matches in the RaboDirect PRO12 for the Scotsmen. The Warriors have won just one of their last seven games at Firhill: 25-17 over Treviso on 18 March. All five of Newport Gwent Dragons' encounters in the RaboDirect PRO12 this season have been won by the home side on the day. Dragons have not won on the road in the tournament since they visited Aironi on 20 February. The Welshmen are winless in Scotland since a trip to Edinburgh on 1 November 2009. Dragons have won just one of their last six clashes with Glasgow in all competitions: 23-11 at Rodney Parade on 12 September 2010, whilst their most recent victory at Firhill came on 9 January 2009.

The teams:

Glasgow: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Rob Dewey, 12 Troy Nathan, 11 Colin Shaw, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Colin Gregor, 8 Johnnie Beattie, 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Rob Harley (c), 5 Rob Verbakel, 4 Tom Ryder, 3 Mike Cusack, 2 Finlay Gillies, 1 Ryan Grant.
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Ed Kalman, 19 James Eddie, 20 Ryan Wilson, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Alex Dunbar, 23 Peter Horne.
[None of the returning Scotland squad included]

Dragons: tbc [will update when announced]

Date: Friday, 7 October
Venue: Firhill
Kick-off: 19.30
Referee: Marius Mitrea ( FIR, 3rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Andy Macpherson, Bob Nevins (both SRU)"

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Glasgow vs N-G Dragons Empty Re: Glasgow vs N-G Dragons

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:10 pm

It would be good to see the Glasgow pack pick up from where they left off against the Blues. They had a great game.

I'd like to see Horne start at 13, other than that - squad looks good.

Always look forward to this fixture with the Dragons.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Not a bad looking side but I've got a feeling we (dragons) will sneek this one.
Last week my predictions were spot on n I know were normally poor away from home but I fancy us. Your backrow looks good n in not sure what your scrums like but we could be under presure.

Always a decent game v Glasgow and the teams no each other inside out.
You've looked the better team so far and we have allot of injures (and players in the wc) to contend with. 16-20 !

"Glasgow have suffered defeat in just one of their last six clashes with the Dragons in all competitions, but historically the teams have been closely matched" - really? is that just at your place?

Good luck to both! dragons!!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:55 pm

youngguns6 wrote:Not a bad looking side but I've got a feeling we (dragons) will sneek this one.
Last week my predictions were spot on n I know were normally poor away from home but I fancy us. Your backrow looks good n in not sure what your scrums like but we could be under presure.

Always a decent game v Glasgow and the teams no each other inside out.
You've looked the better team so far and we have allot of injures (and players in the wc) to contend with. 16-20 !

"Glasgow have suffered defeat in just one of their last six clashes with the Dragons in all competitions, but historically the teams have been closely matched" - really? is that just at your place?

Good luck to both! dragons!!
Warriors have a fair amount out too, but not as many as that OK The match always seems to have an edge to it - I think that historically both Lineen and Turner really liked to get one over on each other, and then go for a pint togehter - might have lost that now

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm

It's a good Glasgow team. Likewise would have liked to see Horne in at 13, a better footballer than Dewey, but otherwise not much to gripe about. Eddie must feel pretty unlucky to be dropped, but Fusaro brings more balance alongside Harley and Beattie.

I think Glasgow by 10 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 am

"Although almost all the World Cup squad players have now returned following Scotland’s tournament-ending loss to England last Sunday, they will not be able to play competitive games for Glasgow or Edinburgh until after the final on Oct 23. "

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 am

youngguns6 wrote:

Glasgow's last six results versus Dragons (Most Recent Game First)

16-16 Draw (Firhill) - ML
23-16 Win (Rodney) - HC
21-13 Win (Firhill) - HC
11-23 Loss (Rodney) - ML
27-19 Win (Firhill) - ML
29-25 Win (Firhill) - HC

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Blimey I didn't realise or record was that poor!

Dragons team -
Thomas, chavhanga, Riley, smith/robling, Poole, jones, Evans.
Price, willis cpt, buck, jones, sidoli, groves, Thomas, Coombes.
.. Buckley, Williams, jenkins, Evans, Ellis, Bedford, tovey, GOD

Tovey being rested is a mistake in my book. There's lv games coming up n he could if had a rest then. I think getting some stability in an injury riddled backline and his vision would of been key.
Groves makes his first start Goethe region and robling could also make his debut if smith fails to recover from a knock.

Not as confident without Jason at 10 (why not try steffan instead of Matthew?) could be a cracker.... Could be dier

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Well with the exception of Kellock and Gray I am not too bothered about the rest of the Scotland players returning. Not missed too much - Kellock's leadership v Treviso would have had us a win - but not a lot more. What do you guys think ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Fusaro needs to have a good game against the Dragons to put some pressure on Barclay.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Big Tom Ryder is having a good season so far too. If Hogg can continue to develop we have a real talent at FB - Bernie S not missed too much - well the kamikaze runs certainly are !

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Well with the exception of Kellock and Gray I am not too bothered about the rest of the Scotland players returning. Not missed too much - Kellock's leadership v Treviso would have had us a win - but not a lot more. What do you guys think ?

Are you being serious?

Cusiter and Barclay would not improve our team, over Gregor and Fusaro? Hall is not an international class hooker but is far superior to the two we have at the moment.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 pm

There's also Murray Low and the return to fitness of Fergus Thompson to factor in.

The only one I'll give you is Graeme Morrison versus Troy Nathan, although I suspect Nathan will bump Dewey from the side and play 13, to accommodate Morrison at 12.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Is this on TV tonight guys ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:10 pm

munkian wrote:Is this on TV tonight guys ?

Don't think so.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Don't think so.

Bugger, going to have to watch the Turks lose again then Whistle
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 pm

You'll find a stream on line somewhere. bet365 is always a good option.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 pm

munkian wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Don't think so.

Bugger, going to have to watch the Turks lose again then Whistle
Surely that gives you nearly equal pleasure, munkian? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 pm

munkian wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:[quote.="munkian"]Is this on TV tonight guys ?

Don't think so.

Bugger, going to have to watch the Turks lose again then Whistle [/quote] oops

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Glasgow edged a game through the 100% boot of Duncan Weir. In the end it seemed that nobody wanted to win the game. Glasgow had a scrum in their own 22 with seconds remaining. They secured the ball and while holding the ball in the scrum as the clocked ticked down, they somehow lost the ball. Dragons had about 6 on 1, but somehow managed to get held up by the one Glasgow defender.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Wee Duncan and Stuart Hogg looked the part tonight along with the customary sterling effort from Capt. Rob Harley. These 3 look really good for the 6Ns. What happened to Beattie - did he get injured ?

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

Not a hugely convincing win by the sounds of it but I must say I've been impressed with the results at Glasgow (defeat to Treviso aside). I thought Glasgow would really struggle for points whilst the internationals were away, but it seems that Lineen has done a decent job.

When all the players return, Glasgow will look something like this (not a bad side at all):

1.Grant
2.Thompson
3.Low
4.Gray
5.Kellock (c)
6.Harley
7.Barclay
8.Beattie
9.Cusiter
10.Jackson
11.DTH
12.Morrison
13.Nathan
14.Seymour
15.Hogg

16.Welsh 17.Hall 18.Ryder 19.Eddie 20.Gregor 21.Weir 22.Shaw

I'd like also to see Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 at some point as well. It's not a bad backline at all.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Wee Duncan and Stuart Hogg looked the part tonight along with the customary sterling effort from Capt. Rob Harley. These 3 look really good for the 6Ns. What happened to Beattie - did he get injured ?

Hogg continues to impress and Harley is continuing on from last season. Weir was excellent with kicks at goal, but in terms of ball in hand, I thought it was one of his poorer perfromances.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:41 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not a hugely convincing win by the sounds of it but I must say I've been impressed with the results at Glasgow (defeat to Treviso aside). I thought Glasgow would really struggle for points whilst the internationals were away, but it seems that Lineen has done a decent job.

When all the players return, Glasgow will look something like this (not a bad side at all):

1.Grant
2.Thompson
3.Low
4.Gray
5.Kellock (c)
6.Harley
7.Barclay
8.Beattie
9.Cusiter
10.Jackson
11.DTH
12.Morrison
13.Nathan
14.Seymour
15.Hogg

16.Welsh 17.Hall 18.Ryder 19.Eddie 20.Gregor 21.Weir 22.Shaw

I'd like also to see Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 at some point as well. It's not a bad backline at all.

We badly need DTH back, he is one of the few backs that give us a genuine cutting edge.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am

Agreed, and he's had a great World Cup with Canada. A back three of DTH, Seymour and Hogg is not bad at all. The question is really the centre combination for me, how to slot in Morrison without starving DTH and Seymour of ball.

Other than Seymour, DTH and Shaw, what are the other wing options like at Glasgow? Has young Fleming emerged as useful (high promise) and what about MacCall?

I don't mind Shaw, but he's slightly military medium. Real shame Bennett left, he'd be perfect for Glasgow this season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agreed, and he's had a great World Cup with Canada. A back three of DTH, Seymour and Hogg is not bad at all. The question is really the centre combination for me, how to slot in Morrison without starving DTH and Seymour of ball.

Other than Seymour, DTH and Shaw, what are the other wing options like at Glasgow? Has young Fleming emerged as useful (high promise) and what about MacCall?

I don't mind Shaw, but he's slightly military medium. Real shame Bennett left, he'd be perfect for Glasgow this season.
Think he played for Dundee HSFP at the weekend?: Fleming

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks, good to know. He's supposed to have something about him, and with the likes of Danielli, Walker and Rory Lamont creaking slightly, we need to be identifying a new batch of flyers.

Lee Jones is one I rate very highly, and when Visser qualifies we'll have another. There doesn't seem to be much in the pipeline in that regard at Glasgow (or rather not that I'm aware of), so I've always hoped that Fleming would get a chance.

Better Fleming than sticking Dewey on the wing vomit

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Fleming has been in a couple of Edinburgh squads this season, no sure if he played or not. I don't undertsand why him and Grossman another "Glasgow" based Wing has made the switch to Edinburgh.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Inclusion in the 7s full-time squad, Dot?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:40 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Inclusion in the 7s full-time squad, Dot?

Yeah, I would think that may have something to do with it. We already have three guys assigned to us who are going to be away with the 7s for large portions of the season.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Dave MacCall has gone back to Glasgow Hawks

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Dave MacCall has gone back to Glasgow Hawks

Never saw much of him play, spent almost his entire time with the Warriors injured. Hope things go well for him a the Hawks.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 am

When he did play he looked a strong and direct runner. Hope he gets back to playing some rugby at the Hawks, and makes a come back.

Next game up, unbeaten league leaders the Ospreys. Hopefully the returning Scotland contingent can secure a win, and the Welsh will still be without their international contingent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agreed, and he's had a great World Cup with Canada. A back three of DTH, Seymour and Hogg is not bad at all. The question is really the centre combination for me, how to slot in Morrison without starving DTH and Seymour of ball.

FES - surely it is now time to phase out the G Dog gradually and play Weir at 12?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 am

Not sure whether Weir or Jackson would make the better option at 12, personally I'd have thought Jackson more suited.

The other option is Nathan at 12, DTH at 13 (where he played so well for Canada) and have Shaw on the wing, or retain Nathan and Dewey in the centres. Problem them is that one of the two Scottish pro sides would have an entirely non-Scot centre combination. Not ideal.

As for phasing out Morrison, he's 28 and a perfectly capable club player, particularly in Scottish winter conditions. Let's not be too silly. He isn't anyone's idea of an expansive or creative centre, but in terms of ball carrying and defence, he's pretty good. Horses for courses.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:52 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not sure whether Weir or Jackson would make the better option at 12, personally I'd have thought Jackson more suited.

The other option is Nathan at 12, DTH at 13 (where he played so well for Canada) and have Shaw on the wing, or retain Nathan and Dewey in the centres. Problem them is that one of the two Scottish pro sides would have an entirely non-Scot centre combination. Not ideal.

As for phasing out Morrison, he's 28 and a perfectly capable club player, particularly in Scottish winter conditions. Let's not be too silly. He isn't anyone's idea of an expansive or creative centre, but in terms of ball carrying and defence, he's pretty good. Horses for courses.

Nathan is fine at 12 - let's give him time to move from being 'safe' to 'exciting'. He could make it.

I'm not sure why but I've always thought Weir more robust in contact than Jackson and Jackson's kicking from hand is definitely better than Weir's (it was god awful against the Italians a fortnight ago), so I've always been more inclined to have Weir at 12.

DTH could be great at 13 but I think that we're struggling for decent wingers as it is and I personally don't want to see Dewey near a pitch ever again.

I just cry when I see Morrison slowing into contact. I'm not sure that I can take it any more.

Never mind, I'll just concentrate on the Glasgow pack, who have been really quite excellent for youngsters.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

thumbsup

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down