The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pick your Semi Finalists V2

+18
dogtooth
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Mad for Chelsea
formerly known as Sam
boomeranga
EnglishReign
Metal Tiger
Cymroglan
mystiroakey
BigTrevsbigmac
SuperTanker
asoreleftshoulder
Artful_Dodger
LordDowlais
Glas a du
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
22 posters

Go down

Who will be in the Semi Finals

Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap1%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap6%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 17 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap17%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 50 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap9%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 27 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap15%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 46 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap24%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 72 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap19%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 58 ]
Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_lcap9%Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 298

Poll closed

Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Empty Pick your Semi Finalists V2

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

Last week I asked you to choose who you thought were the likely Semi Finalists just before the last round of the pool Stages.

The popular teams are still in the competition

https://www.606v2.com/t14322p100-pick-your-semi-finalists?highlight=who+are+your+semi+finalists

Lets see how you go with selecting pre Quarter finals. The draw is:

Ireland vs Wales

England vs France

New Zealand vs Argentina

South Africa vs Australia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Pick your Semi Finalists V2 Empty Re: Pick your Semi Finalists V2

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Gone for Wales, France, New Zealand and the Springboks.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

Ireland, France, Australia and NZ.

It's very tough to call these games and bar NZ v Argentina they are all 50:50 games.

NZ will be far too strong for Argentina I feel.

I think Ireland just have the experience and composure to see off an in form Welsh side in what could be the game of the weekend.

Logic says England will beat a French side in disarray. However I can't believe that France will go home without a big performance. I think they could pull off a big upset here and England aren't in a great way themselves.

Australian v SA is another huge one to call. The Boks are looking strong but I just think Australia will want to bounce back after failing to top their group and will be desperate to play the AB's in the SF.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

I went for:

Wales
France
New Zealand
SA

I think Wales will continue to improve, there is more in this team, they have been very self critical on their previous performances. This quarter finals will be won on pace, Wales have a faster team than Ireland.

I don't think France have shown their hand yet. More to come. They havent impressed as yet but neither have England. THis could either be the worst game of the Quarters or the best. Neither team will give in, but neither team have really shown anything that would make you think that any more than experience in the later stages of RWCs will get them through. Thing is there are so few players in either side with experience of RWCs. But I think the pace of the French team will see them through.

Australia are gong to turn on the style, SA wont keep up with the pace of the Ozzies, who will avoid the set piece at all costs. Should also be a cracker.

I imagine that the Argies will put up a dog fight for the first fifty or so minutes then fatigue will set in and the ABs will run away with it. No team in this competition scores tries as easily as the All Blacks.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I went for:

Wales
France
Australia
SA
That can't happen.

I went for (plus predicted score differences in the quarter final games)

Ireland by 10
England by 10
SA by 8
NZ by 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Gone for Wales, France, New Zealand and the Springboks.

snap
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

I've gone for Wales, England, New Zealand, South Africa. I have not been as confident in a Welsh team as I am now. Honestly, this Welsh team has a lot to offer, and we are playing the same team we beat in the six nations, only difference is we have improved since then, Ireland have not, they have kept their high performances and bloody mindness but we are at least a bar higher with the players we have performing at the moment.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

Ireland, New Zealand, England and Australia

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

I don't think Argentina are going to get many (any) votes!

Also, I bet no one has left out their own team (if they are still in).

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I've gone for Wales, England, New Zealand, South Africa. I have not been as confident in a Welsh team as I am now. Honestly, this Welsh team has a lot to offer, and we are playing the same team we beat in the six nations, only difference is we have improved since then, Ireland have not, they have kept their high performances and bloody mindness but we are at least a bar higher with the players we have performing at the moment.

Really,you think we were playing at this level in the 6 Nations?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I've gone for Wales, England, New Zealand, South Africa. I have not been as confident in a Welsh team as I am now. Honestly, this Welsh team has a lot to offer, and we are playing the same team we beat in the six nations, only difference is we have improved since then, Ireland have not, they have kept their high performances and bloody mindness but we are at least a bar higher with the players we have performing at the moment.

Really,you think we were playing at this level in the 6 Nations?

Yes I do, infact I everytime there is an Ireland V Australia game I alway's expect Ireland to win nowdays. There are not many teams better than Ireland at the moment,but, and I mean but, other teams have caught up. It is my opinion that there is not much between Wales and Ireland, then only two or three teams in the world are better at the moment (not forever). The only worry for everyone is when French rugby union decide to get their act together and sort themselves out, as I believe they have all the best teams/players/structures all in France and I think it will not be to long when we see France as the no.1 ranked side in the world. Even at this time and world cup, after loosing to Tonga, I still would not write them off if they had the All Blacks in the final.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperTanker Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:30 pm

I think* I choose Ireland, South Africa, France and NZ.

I say think (it was only 30 seconds ago) because the Wales / Ireland game is, I believe, so hard to call I can't remember who I decided on. Similarly England / France; my heart says England but my head is producing horrible images of a rampant France playing their free flowing best to recover from the ignominy directed their way after the Tonga match. Shocked

SuperTanker

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

In the 6 Nations we barely beat Scotland and Italy,we lost to France at home with terrible discipline and a huge number of knock ons.We also lost to Wales in the worst game of rugby I've seen in a long time,we kicked something like 45 times in that match.
The England game is the only exception from the spring but we were awful this year until the Oz game.Since then we've moved up several levels.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:In the 6 Nations we barely beat Scotland and Italy,we lost to France at home with terrible discipline and a huge number of knock ons.We also lost to Wales in the worst game of rugby I've seen in a long time,we kicked something like 45 times in that match.
The England game is the only exception from the spring but we were awful this year until the Oz game.Since then we've moved up several levels.

What about the pre RWC games?

Wales made a steady difference and serious improvement from their RWC warm up games, even more so since the Six Nations and since the warm up games they have improved again match by match.

Ireland lost all their warm up matches, gradually getting worse and worse, the turn around for them being the game with Australia. Followed by an easy win over Russia and a better performance over Italy than they played in the Six Nations.

It does seem similar to their performance in the Six Nations where they were pretty damn dire bar the victory over England in Dublin, a team they lost to at the same venue reply at the end of the warm ups.

LordDowlais has a point mate...! Ireland form isn't necessarily on the up, they could still be able to revert to their previous pre Australia game form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

Interesting there are a lot more English,NZ & SA votes from the silent majority!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Interesting there are a lot more English,NZ & SA votes from the silent majority!
Very Bizarre...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:03 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:In the 6 Nations we barely beat Scotland and Italy,we lost to France at home with terrible discipline and a huge number of knock ons.We also lost to Wales in the worst game of rugby I've seen in a long time,we kicked something like 45 times in that match.

Wales made a steady difference and serious improvement from their RWC warm up games, even more so since the Six Nations and since the warm up games they have improved again match by match.

Ireland lost all their warm up matches, gradually getting worse and worse, the turn around for them being the game with Australia. Followed by an easy win over Russia and a better performance over Italy than they played in the Six Nations.

It does seem similar to their performance in the Six Nations where they were pretty damn dire bar the victory over England in Dublin, a team they lost to at the same venue reply at the end of the warm ups.

LordDowlais has a point mate...! Ireland form isn't necessarily on the up, they could still be able to revert to their previous pre Australia game form.

No,he said that Ireland are playing at the same level in the World Cup as they were at the 6 Nations,I just can't see how he can come to that conclusion.Our last 3 games we've been so far ahead of the 6 nations level it's hard to believe it's the same players.

While we could revert to our previous poor form it's not something I'm going to worry about,I just have to hope they can keep up the high standards they've now set.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

the safest bet in NZ obviously

next (sorry wales) ireland i think are almost a dead cert and big favourite.(BUT the way things are going - it may not be long untill wales get level if not overtake them due to havening a young talented squad v an aging one)

next england v france- tough call right. england are playing better- but i am english and i am scared..

last SA v AUS- i will go for SA all day long- but OZ are second favs and the SH posters keep banging on about how good AUS actually are , we dont quite see the same performances when they play us- but they could be right.

tough calls esp the last 2

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

No,he said that Ireland are playing at the same level in the World Cup as they were at the 6 Nations,I just can't see how he can come to that conclusion.Our last 3 games we've been so far ahead of the 6 nations level it's hard to believe it's the same players.

While we could revert to our previous poor form it's not something I'm going to worry about,I just have to hope they can keep up the high standards they've now set.

I think a lot depends on who the opposition is. The Wallabies were very odd against Ireland, without Pocock they couldnt compete at the breakdown at all. With Cooper and Genia misfiring they couldnt create. Beale was the only player who played to form in that match.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

What I Should have said more clearly is that Ireland have all the same players playing now as they did during the six nations, Wales on the other hand have had players return from injury and at the same time have unearthed a couple of gems in Lydiate, Falatau, Scott Williams and we have added the likes of Charteris and Preistland to our squad, all these players have improved us and moved us up a level. Perhaps if we had used the above players during the six nations we would have done better than our fourth place finish, and not have had to rely on a dodgy try to beat Ireland.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

France Ireland and Wales won three matches in the 6N it was only points difference separating us.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

I went for SA, Ireland, NZ and England.

SA have gone about their business quietly and confidently, despite the brave performance by Wales against them, and I think their defence is just too strong for the Aussies. SA will strangle them out of the game.

Ireland are just too strong & experianced for the Welsh lads. Although I do think it will be close... Ireland will storm ahead building up a healthy lead by halftime and then flag in the second half as Wales produces a thrilling fightback but will fall short by 3-5 pts.

I'm English so I voted for England, no surprises there! But am still having nightmares about the shambles that is Les Bleau getting it together and running us ragged.

NZ. Argies will be hammer & tongs for about 20 minutes then the kiwis will cut them up by about 20-25 pts.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:15 am

I went for Ire, NZ, Eng and SA...and so did Sonny Wool,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8807754/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Sonny-Wool-the-psychic-sheep-predicts-England-to-beat-France-in-quarter-finals.html

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

LordDowlais wrote:What I Should have said more clearly is that Ireland have all the same players playing now as they did during the six nations

Except that they don't. Ferris and Kearney were missing, Murray has since emerged and Trimble, who had just returned from injury wasn't selected in the squad that day. Donnacha Ryan has also forced his way in ahead of Leo Cullen. Bowe and Heaslip were also returning from injury and O'Connell wasn't at full fitness. Murphy was a long term absentee also.

Stringer and Fitzgerald, neither of whom made the RWC squad played that day.

If you think this Ireland team won't be a lot better than the one in Cardiff then I think you might be in for a shock.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:59 am

Ireland, England, Australia, New Zealand

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

I think NZ will qualify at a canter, the Boks will win narrowly despite a massive Ozzie fightback with the boot of Morne Steyn proving decisive, England will beat the out of form French but the French will dominate the scrum and cause lots of early problems. The Welsh/Irish game will see the Welsh defence proving critical as the Irish I think will struggle to find a way through and Wales will win by a score divisable by 3 as the Irish will concede penalties.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

I'm a bit surprised to see SA dominating Australia so much in this poll, with only 1 in 5 (roughly) thinking Aus will win. SA have looked good in the group stages (looked very good against Fiji, poor but found a way to win against Wales, not much to say about other two matches), but Aus can be dangerous.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

The problem with the Aussie team though is that they are heavilly relient on Cooper and Genia playing well. The pack is decent at the breakdown (whilst Pocock is available) and in attack but only average at the set piece and with so little forward power they don't get the majority of possession and so when they do have it they need the half backs to unleash the back division. When that happens and Cooper and Genia are on the ball then the Aussies are devastating in attack but at the minute they aren't clicking and without the magic from the half backs the Aussie team look to be there for the taking against a Saffa team with a very good pack and a brutal but disciplined defence.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

POINT OF INTEREST....

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/1006/1224305341861.html

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

Well a lot of you got that wrong didn't you...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 08 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

The other semi is a dead cert - Argentina v Australia!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Well a lot of you got that wrong didn't you...!

twice as many votes for england as there are for wales, and eng only had half the chance wales did.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

Got Wales wrong but France right. Hope I do better with NZ and SA.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

Glas a du wrote:The other semi is a dead cert - Argentina v Australia!
That would be great

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:50 am

That's the third semi going against the vote.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:54 am

I tell you, it's a curse!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:11 am

I think it just shows how close this world cup has been

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:13 am

No, it shows how wrong the voters were.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:18 am

No, it shows how wrong some voters are.

I've got 2/3 so far - going for 75% after the next macth! Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

The voters thought they got it right it's the teams that got it wrong just like a political party you can never depend on them. Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

Who cares about semi finalists... Wales are now No. 3, enough said! Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:41 am

I am 3 for 3 on this round of sports guru with NZ to come.

Might finally win a round!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:43 am

I wonder who the 50 people that picked England will go for now?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:I am 3 for 3 on this round of sports guru with NZ to come.

Might finally win a round!

You'll nail it Boss! thumbsup

Leading by example as usual... king

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:15 am

Jesus almost looked like Argentina might really upset the form book...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

maestegmafia wrote:Jesus almost looked like Argentina might really upset the form book...!
and then they lost by over 20 points.

Here's hoping France go all the way and win the whole thing!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

Cari wrote:I wonder who the 50 people that picked England will go for now?

Good question..!

At dinner last night, with a 90% English group of friends they were all keen to back Wales. Which I thought was great that they wished to support another home nation.

Wonderful rugby spirit to support your teams close rivals in the next round.

Very much one of the reasons we love the sport of rugby union is because of the passion and good nature of fans of our own country and others.

The accolades and praise shared of teams playing good rugby and doing well, and the heartfelt comisserations expressed to our friends whose teams are going home. We have all been there before and we all know the hurt.

Rugby and it's culture really is a magnificent pleasure to take part in. I have made many friends around the world because of rugby, I am sure to meet many more.

Hopefully one of those good friends might be able to source me two tickets to the semis next weekend. Hopefully my pension will stretch far enough.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Cari wrote:I wonder who the 50 people that picked England will go for now?
France are my second team so I'll be rooting for them to win the whole thing, but wouldn't mind an Aus victory either as they're my 3rd.

Hoping for a France v NZ final as that will be the most entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down