The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011

+12
milkyboy
The Galveston Giant
eddyfightfan
Michaels, Sean
Rowley
huw
BALTIMORA
sodhat
Scottrf
Sir. badgerhands
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
16 posters

Go down

606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011 Empty 606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

Afternoon all

Following the recent Sergio Martinez vs Darren Barker fight, I had chance to catch up with the reigning middleweight king and ask him a few questions about the fight, Darren Barker, and who we can expect to see him facing next.

Here is the interview, and as always many thanks to Sergio for taking time out to speak with us in amongst all of his other media commitments.

First of all, congratulations on another knock-out victory. Darren Barker provided more of a test for you than many people predicted, did you expect him to be so difficult to break down?

Yes. Of course I expected that. It was the opportunity of a lifetime for him. He's hungry, like I was when I came to the USA. Darren did a very good fight, I wish him well in his life. Hopefully he will be in the U.S. to fight again, he deserves it.

From about round 3 onwards it seemed that you were struggling with your breathing due to the blood pouring from your nose. How much of an effect did that have on you, and is your nose broken?

The nose is not broken, the cartilage is displaced. It was very uncomfortable and that punch was a great success of Barker. Of course, the blood gave me breathing difficulties.

I have seen mixed reports coming from the USA about Darren Barker's performance. Some believe that he didn't come to fight and didn't provide a big enough test for you, whereas others have praised him for his performance. How did you feel Darren Barker performed, and do you think he belongs at this level?

Do not listen to everything they write. Speaking and writing for free. I'm just saying that Darren showed a high level. He made the kind of fight he should do to try and win. Darren Barker is sufficient to fight against Andy Lee, Daniel Geale, Macklin, Pirog. He does not have to become de-motivated and should keep working hard to have opportunities in the USA.

Watching the fight back, it is clear from the very start that your tactics were to let Barker take the centre of the ring and to try and draw him into a shot in order for you to catch him with a counter. Given that Barker didn't commit himself very often, and therefore didn't leave himself open for a counter, do you feel that you could maybe have changed your tactics slightly earlier than you did, and fought off the front foot sooner?

In the fight, I only had 2 problems. The most important was the good fight that Barker made and the second was an injury to my left arm. If you watch the fight and compare it to others you will see that there is a slower and less number of punches. That injury caused me to condition the whole game plan.

Many commentators and fans had the fight scored even after 6 rounds. Did you think it was close at this point in the fight, or did you feel that you had done enough to win the majority of the early rounds?

Honestly, the first 6 rounds, I had the feeling to have won 4 and lost 2. I always had the feeling of taking the fight and dominating on points.

Who are you hoping to fight next? Providing a fight can't be made with either Manny Pacquaio or Floyd Mayweather, will you be looking to take on Chavez Jr, Sturm or Cotto instead (if they'll face you!)?

I want to fight the best. I want Floyd Mayweather. Chavez, Cotto & Sturm didn't want and wont want..., what can I do?

Has a fight with either Alvarez or Pirog ever crossed your mind? How would you see these fights playing out?

Those are two names that are not in my mind in the short or medium term. You may be closer to Canelo because I would like to return to 154lbs.

In the aftermath of the fight, some have said that they think this fight showed you to be over-rated. This may be slightly unfair, admittedly it wasn't your best ever performance but you still got the job done inside the distance. Did you feel that you had an off night, or was it purely down to Darren Barker proving a very difficult opponent to beat?

I think it's a disrespect to Darren Barker. Something similar happened with Dzinziruk. I think I've done a great fight, I have overcome difficulties and honestly tell you that I am happy to have passed a severe test. I do not usually take into account the destructive criticism, I have only considered people that gives me positive things. In this case, Barker has given me and taught me things that no fan will teach writing without information.

When are you planning on fighting next? Are we likely to next see you in early 2012?

I'd like to fight again in March. Now it is time to break for me and for Lou DiBella to do the work.

Thanks very much for sparing us some of your time. It's been a pleasure as always. Is there anything that you would like to say to your fans in the UK?

I have little free time and I find it hard to serve all media. I hope not having delayed in sending you the answers. I want to send my respects to the English fans. You know the respect I have for you. I have always been treated very well. I ask you to take care of Darren Barker, to encourage him and that when he recovers from this fight, get to work hard to reach as high as possible in this wonderful sport.

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011 Empty Re: 606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011

Post by coxy0001 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

What a complete Bar Steward!

I still think Horo should get 606v2 as a logo on his shorts, i'm yet to PM him about doing a website for him as well - Part of my payment will be VIP tickets to his fights so expect me to be flogging them here should i get the gig Wink

Seems like a decent take on things though, boxers are mostly guilty of not exactly remembering how fights went (being in the zone etc) but Sergio seems to be fairly honest and especially respectful to Barker.

Not sure what DiBella has to do to get any of Arum's (and he has most at 154) into the ring with him, put his head in a clamp and torture until he says yes?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011 Empty Re: 606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

Always comes across as a true gent.

Good work Fists.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

606v2 interview with Sergio Martinez October 2011 Smiley-in-heaven

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

Think his last answer deserves to be enshrined in the lovely things thread.

Seems a thoroughly pleasant man, regardless that he makes his living punching people in the face.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

He seems like one of the true gentlemen in the sport. I found respect for him after his first 606v2 interview, and that respect has increased with this one.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

What a decent guy he is.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

Put your man crushes away, this is a boxing forum

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

Sorry Coxy have to echo the sentiments and say Martinez genuinely seems like one of the sports good guys.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

No homo coxy, just paying the fella some respect. I'd much rather read an interview with someone like him than someone like Andre Ward, or Bellew the mouth-breather.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Put your man crushes away, this is a boxing forum
Are you gay or something?

He's a pleasant, sexy man, that's all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:15 pm

Yeah he's a great guy, so accessible for interviews, quick chats etc. Can only wish him all the best regardless of who he fights next, it'd be brilliant if more boxers were so fan friendly.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:24 pm

Quality bloke. Just became one of my favourite fighters.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

how many other fighters do that on here and give us a interview so soon after the fight. what a legend hope he gets a good fight that he deserves and has earned.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:49 pm

Yeah great to get his thoughts so soon after his fight, real gentleman, nice questions by fists also.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

i think he is a little over-rated by some and flattered by his p4p ranking, but still a quality fighter, and clearly a class act outside the ring. good job sergio and good job fists

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm

Scottrf wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Put your man crushes away, this is a boxing forum
Are you gay or something?

He's a pleasant, sexy man, that's all.
He's just in denial.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:24 pm

...it's one thing acknowledge that another man is handsome... but sexy, well that's a whole different ball game, fnarr fnarr

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

One thing I think is interesting is the scenario with the opposition. Id always like to know more about what goes on behind the scenes with promoters and fighters compared to what we actually just hear. If he feels hes being starved of opposition would he consider changing promoters for instance? Is it as straightforward as nobody wants to fight him?

Also Id like to know what he makes of the whole ridiculous system of belts at the moment and how he considers his WBC diamond belt or whatever it is he holds. Is it genuinely worth him hanging onto it and paying sanctioning fees when it means nothing? How can he not force a fight with the main WBC belt holder Chavez as a mandatory?

The business side of boxing greatly interests me because from talking to ex and current boxers myself the impression I get is that they actually have little or no involvement in the business areas of things and as Martinez says hes basically on a break now while his management plot the course for him. Does he feel he should look to take a greater hand in things? Likewise when Pacquiao says he fights who his promter tells him to I genuinely believe it and I dont think he has much input into it. Most boxers dont seem to want to be involved in that aspect of it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

I thought the WBC gave him a Diamond joke belt so that they could gift Chavez a world title that he wouldn't have to defend against Martinez who they chose to strip for no apparent reason. It's pretty clear Martinez is the best Middleweight and Light Middleweight in the world right now, people should be lining up wanting a crack at him but everyone seems to be staying well clear.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm

manos de piedra wrote:One thing I think is interesting is the scenario with the opposition. Id always like to know more about what goes on behind the scenes with promoters and fighters compared to what we actually just hear. If he feels hes being starved of opposition would he consider changing promoters for instance? Is it as straightforward as nobody wants to fight him?

Also Id like to know what he makes of the whole ridiculous system of belts at the moment and how he considers his WBC diamond belt or whatever it is he holds. Is it genuinely worth him hanging onto it and paying sanctioning fees when it means nothing? How can he not force a fight with the main WBC belt holder Chavez as a mandatory?

The business side of boxing greatly interests me because from talking to ex and current boxers myself the impression I get is that they actually have little or no involvement in the business areas of things and as Martinez says hes basically on a break now while his management plot the course for him. Does he feel he should look to take a greater hand in things? Likewise when Pacquiao says he fights who his promter tells him to I genuinely believe it and I dont think he has much input into it. Most boxers dont seem to want to be involved in that aspect of it.

Evening manos

The following is from our Q&A with Sergio a few months back, regarding the belts.

Where do you see the sport of boxing being in 25 years time with regard to the huge number of belts available and their politics (as you found out when they stripped you of your title)?

It's easy. Boxing loses credibility. Credibility is lost by the "belts". Fans and the trade press can not be lying.

The rest of that Q&A can be seen in the boxing vault if you haven't already seen it, mate.

I guess the reason he hangs on to the WBC Diamond belt is purely a monetary one, as like it or not many fights do seem to be promoted around such belts. To be honest, with Martinez I feel that the likes of Sturm Chavez etc really don't want any part of him at all, and that it probably isn't an issue with promoters. Basically, they're guaranteed to lose if they fight Martinez.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:53 pm

Southpaws usually aren't top of everyone's list, especially not good ones. Money usually is though and Sergio must bring his fair share to the table.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm

But whats the benefit of Martinez holding the Diamond belt? Its not a recognised title. Why doesnt he dump it? As far as I can see its only costing him sanctioning fees to hold it and its completely worthless.

I can understand low level protected fighters wanting it or using it as a stepping stone but I really dont understand the point of Martinez keeping it. Theres obviously alot of politics involved behind the scenes in terms of getting ranked, getting title shots and making fights happen which I like to know more about.

Nowadays it would seem to me that theres not much point in the really elite fighters holding titles. It costs them money and they dont need them to sell a fight or to show they are a champion. Mayweather wasnt even bothered fighting Mosely for his belt. The belt was dumped to make a big fight happen. This should be the norm for big fighters as the belts have no credibility. Pacquaio doesnt need his WBO belt. Whats the benefit in him holding it? Lesser fighters covet them to make a name for themselves, sell fights and get more opportunities but established pound for pound fighters dont need them which is why I wonder what possible value the WBC Diamond World Title could have for Martinez. I cant imagine it helps in promoting a fight and will only lead to him having to face more low value madatories like Barker.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

I struggle to see why the top fighters keep the belts also, does it bring in much more income? They used to say it was for the TV company's so they could show title fights, but even the general boxing fan understands the farce now aswell as the TV companies. No belt should be needed to promote a decent fight nowadays.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

I understand tv companies like to bill virtuallyevery fight as for some kind of title but I think its a big misconception that fans wonat be interested unless there is a title on the line. A quick survey would show that the vast majority of fans couldnt care less about world titles never mind Diamond, Silver and Regular ones and if anything the sport is increasingly alienating fans and becoming marginalised as a result of this kind of title saturation.

Dont know if anyone saw the Ringside on it recently whereby they brough in the BBBC representative to discuss ways the situation could improve. He gave a great spiel about how much the BBBC were doing to try and improve things but it basically amounted to withdrawing their farcical recognition of the WBF and WBU. They still recognise the IBO though on grounds that "they never had any problems with them".

I think its only a matter of time before something gives though as the current situation is beyond a joke and the more the belts decrease in value the less fans care or recognise them. Sooner or later there will be little or no vlaue in holding a world title and the elites of the sport wont bother with them. Especially as the big draws in the sport realise they dont need them to sell fights or to be recognised as a champion. Mayweather proved this against Mosely and just saved himself some sanctioning fees and a pointless mandatory obligation. Surely its only a matter of time before other fighters follow suit. I think tv companies and sanctioning bodies are greatly overestimating the fans desire to see titles on the line as a tool for selling fights. I actually think the opposite is the case and they are slowly committing hara kiri.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

I hadn't seen the recent ringside but to withdraw recognition of the WBF and WBU but still recognise the IBO is a joke, they obviously have a few buddies there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm

Hatton and Malignaggi decided it wasn't worth paying the sanctioning fees for the IBF belt when they fought and just told them to stick their belt. The WBA is the worst organisation at the moment with them having 3 champions in some divisions, with the super and diamond champions the governing bodies are shooting themselves in the foot. If more big names just came out and declared that all the governing bodies are a joke hopefully some progress would be made towards doing away with them.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:06 am

Nice guy unfortunately fr him he will never get to fight Manny or Floyd. He isn't a massive draw and physically is a bit bigger than both. Risk and reward don't match up for Manny or Floyd.

Why fight Martinez when in Floyds case for the same amount you can fight the winner of the Berto and Ortiz rematch which will probably happen early next year. Or in Mannys case for the same pay day that comes with fighting Bradley. Unfortunately it makes no sense for either of them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:38 am

I don't think belts should just be ignored, they're a huge part of boxing history and add a heck of a lot more grandeur to a fight - however something has got to be done about the proliferation.

Kev, agree with you there, Martinez is almost in the 'who needs him?' club for Manny and Floyd in particular, he's a dangerous opponent that is bigger than the two of them, and as you rightly say they could probably earn similar money fighting elsewhere.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I don't think belts should just be ignored, they're a huge part of boxing history and add a heck of a lot more grandeur to a fight - however something has got to be done about the proliferation.

Kev, agree with you there, Martinez is almost in the 'who needs him?' club for Manny and Floyd in particular, he's a dangerous opponent that is bigger than the two of them, and as you rightly say they could probably earn similar money fighting elsewhere.

They dont add any grandeur to a fight anymore. They have become meaningless as a tool of measuring the best and therefore have become reduntant.

It would be easier for the belts to simply lose whatever credibility they have left and for independant ranking organisations like the Ring to rank fighters than to try and go back to a credible one belt system.

Once they lose all credibility and cease to have any value for fighters then change will occur. The belts now are either not understood or not recognised by most fans and soon will have almost no meaning for fans who will simpl recognise the best at the weight rather than the belt holders. Mayweather and Pacquaio being prime examples. The next step is for fighters and boxing commissions to cease recognising them. This will be more difficult because they still provide door openers and incentives for lesser fighters at least. But if all the top fighters stopped recognising them then their value would fall even further and their lack of credibility might see changes being made.

Someone like Martinez should really be ditching that Diamond belt and declaring himself the real champion at the weight. By wearing it he is only giving it some kind of undeserved recognition.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:58 pm

Very true.

By grandeur I meant in terms of the advertising by the TV companies e.g. Sky saying 'watch Kell Brook fight for the Super Awesome Emerald Belt' sounds better than 'watch Kell Brook fight Joe Bloggs', if you get my meaning.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Very true.

By grandeur I meant in terms of the advertising by the TV companies e.g. Sky saying 'watch Kell Brook fight for the Super Awesome Emerald Belt' sounds better than 'watch Kell Brook fight Joe Bloggs', if you get my meaning.

This would certainly appear to be the logic with the TV companies but Im not sure it holds true with the fans. Certainly not at the current level of saturation.

Title matches were always traditionally bigger in the past so tv companies obviously felt more titles mean more interest. However in doing so they killed the credibility and value of the titles - the very reason they were important in the first place. I honestly dont think fans now, be it hardcore followers or passing interest, really care now about the titles or even understand them. Most of all I think they crave clarity far above random pointless title matches. This lack of clarity and the complicated system in place is actually alienating fans I think. Im not sure if tv companies, promoters and so on are still labouring under the illusion that more titles means more interest or if they have simply created a problem that has no easy solution.

The next step for me would be the biggest boxing commisions - Nevada, New York, California to issue a set of guidelines for these sanctioning bodies to adhere to or else risk having recognition withdrawn. Starting with the removal of these fake titles "regular", "silver" etc. Get rid of them immediately and then work from there to try and bring about a more favourable system.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:00 pm

Seems so simple doesn't it, mate? Unfortunately common sense doesn't seem to run rife amongst the governing bodies.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Oct 2011, 1:19 am

Such a lovely bloke, wish he had a bit more tenacity and really push cotto into a war of words so he could get the fight with him, but I guess it's just not his way. Comes across as a really nice human and an honest guy.
Incidentally, do we believe him that he had an injury on his left arm? It's most certainly not impossible and a reason as to why he wasn't on top form, didn't actually throw it very often also to be fair and given that he comes across as an honest soul, I for one believe him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:33 am

Cott won't go near Martinez. Like Manny and Floyd it's to high risk with no reward. Cotto is still a huge draw in New York especially. Martinez isn't a big draw so he offers Cotto nothing.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Oct 2011, 5:43 am

Which is really odd, Martinez is exciting - good looking (Marketable I mean) and clearly the best MW - LMW going, why ISN'T this guy a draw? Is it because Dibella (sp?) just can't promote his fighters well enough? All the tools are there for Martinez, he's ranked P4P #3 for God's sake...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Such a lovely bloke, wish he had a bit more tenacity and really push cotto into a war of words so he could get the fight with him, but I guess it's just not his way. Comes across as a really nice human and an honest guy.
Incidentally, do we believe him that he had an injury on his left arm? It's most certainly not impossible and a reason as to why he wasn't on top form, didn't actually throw it very often also to be fair and given that he comes across as an honest soul, I for one believe him.

Yeah no reason not to believe him, Alex.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

Does anyone know if he is spoken for... Just curious... Whistle

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down