The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Toni's Interview

+8
Calder106
hawkeye
Positively 4th Street
Fedex_the_best
Josiah Maiestas
Tenez
mthierry
noleisthebest
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Uncle Toni's Interview Empty Uncle Toni's Interview

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

So far only to be found in Spanish....

For those who can speak or understand Spanish, it's easy to see why it hasn't been translated into any English speaking media....

I've never studied Spanish but have Latin, can speak a bit of Italian, so able to gather a bit of his amazing ramblings, apparently, Novak's beating Nadal, because he's got "more" luck this year than Nadal.

http://www.tenisweb.com/toni-nadal-djokovic-esta-donde-se-merece-pero-tambien-ha-tenido-suerte/

Anybody here with good Spanish to throw any more light on this article?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Uncle Toni's Interview Empty Re: Uncle Toni's Interview

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

Just found a site that translates, not perfect, but better than nothing...

A balance of the season can be done already? Of course there is margin to do a balance to date. And it is positive, with the condition that to have lost too many ends. But Rafa is the number two, has arrived at three ends of Grand Slam, has earned one… Badly, badly him we have not done. He has done himself well. A bit he has lacked us, a little more…

There are aspects that themselves they cannot control. The factor Djokovic there is not who stop him… Evidently we can control that which is ours, but him not of the rival one. At any rate, Rafa lost in Miami after having a ball that did not enter for a hair to be put 15-40 in a decisive play. We were to two points of the victory. All to have been able to change, because later you have less confidence and the other has a little more… In the sport, there are factors that can seem insignificant are determinants.

The line between the victory and the rout is very thin… Yes, is of course Djokovic is where is because deserves itself it, completely. But also it is certain that, aside from being very good and of being the best, has had a bit of luck that maybe to us us to have been able to favor. For example, in Flushing Meadows, played against Federer and was practically lost. And perhaps, if we had had to Federer in in the end, we had been able to win… Good, more is worth not to do these calculations. All in all, always you should have a bit of luck.

Its balance is good, but in certain media there is analysis less positive. It is that some they are or we are ill usual?

This depends on each one. I respond of my opinion on the balance, later the opinion that do you or the remainder of journalists or the remainder of the people, depends on them. Maybe the people is very exacting and this seems him little. For me, the balance is clearly positive.

The end of the Open one U.S. supposed a point of inflection in the sorrow between Djokovic and Nadal? It do not I know, because I am not I guess and do not I know what is going to pass from now on. What yes I saw in that end is that Rafael, in spite of the fact that the nerves gripped in the two first sets, had a good reaction in the third, fought again and won a set playing the two to a highest level. This gives me some certain hopes, but do neither I be going to think it because I do not know what will happen in the next tournaments.

But it shows that him can be won… of course can be won him. There is not nobody in the life to which itself cannot be won him. For the time being we do not be able, but to see if this changes.

Djokovic is to Nadal what Nadal was to Federer? Not. it Is of course there has been too many routs and is true that Rafael has left gripped in its last parties and, for the time being, there is a reality: that Djokovic is being over the remainder. When Rafael won to Federer, Federer was the best. Now Djokovic desire, so is a little more still. I expect that last not always, but is normal. The type of play of Rafael has been giving well to Djokovic and on top a lot of morale come out with. One must do again a change, not of play, but of mentality and again to try to win.
Always there is margin of improvement… Yes, but is not an improvement margin theme. In the end, if we analyze the six parties with Djokovic, we see that in Indian Wells, in the first set, Rafael was better than him, but disappeared of the party. Then in Miami, Rafael was very near the victory in fast trail. And later, in Madrid was better Djokovic in trail of land and this rout affected him in Rome. And from here, Rafael has left too much gripped by the nerves. In Rome already was too tense and in the key moments did not manage to play well. And in Wimbledon and in the two first sets of the US they Bid for, equal. I trust in which there be a change of mentality and that, in the end, fight, because fighting, if he is better, he will win you more times, but some time you will win him.

He is tired that they ask him for their relation with Rafa? Each which that do what want. Everyone can think. In this life, the problem is that many people thinks without knowing the things, without having many facts. Despite all intrigues are done and is spoken too much. The journalists do the interview, you answer normally and later… But does neither worry me a lot.

There is read Rafa: my story? Not, do not I be accustomed to read nothing on Rafa or on me. I do not like. It I have not read neither I have intention.

Long the season is being done? Not, like each year. The season is really long because you begin January 1 and still they lack two months of competition. It is done long because 11 months are it.

How is Rafa? Well enough, animated, well physically and with desires to play.

Playing the Cup Davis always gives him spice… In the Davis played very well, in spite of the exhaustion, because arrived very just. The party against Djokovic was really hard. Upon arriving at Cordoba, cost to be adapted to the change of surface and to all, but played really well.

Pity that, as said Rafa, "is killing itself"? They are being charged the Cup Davis? Themselves they are not being charged the Davis. Here there is a real problem: the calendar is very long. There is not a competition that be so long. Perhaps the golf, but is less exacting physically. In all the sports there is a stop to recover the body, but in the tennis this does not exist.
The body and the head… Clear. The tennis is a very exacting sport, because constantly you play against the better. Is each week! Thing that passes in almost no sport. In the soccer, there is a Barça-Madrid and a Barça-Valencia, but there is not the I burden of the tennis. Each week you are with the water to the neck and on top they do yourself the very long season, what implies a mental and physical exhaustion, because have to go always to the 100%. Clearly, they can say that do not go to the 100%, but is complicated because in the end have to be up.

It is that only with what the large are obliged to play… Clear, this is the problem, that you are too much obliged to play and begin in January and finish 11 months later. To the extent that they go spending the years, you go tiring. Besides, there is another theme that collides me. It so happens that we dispute a circuit where the majority of the players is injured. Is not normal that a great number have wounds. Looks here Carlos Moyà, that had two serious wounds in his career, first in the back and later another now in the end. Of the Colt, Murray, Tsonga, Nabaldian, Rafael… I speak You of the better. They go too much to the limit. Later, the surface helps you very little, because damages the impact. Besides, the ball goes too fast. Is complicated. That is not easy to change it? Of course is difficult.

But some margin there will be… Margin of change there is, what happens is that normally, for me, the sports unwilling people governs them the changes. I understand that is difficult to change, but there are many things that would be able to present. For example, the network is the same one that all the life. When the dimensions of the trail are created, the people mediates 1.60 meters. Now they measure two meters, the material has changed, the ball goes a lot more fast… Clear, this implies that the body has to go to stop. All this together in the end does that go stressed. Therefore I think that the changes are necessary. The tennis is one of the sports that has done almost no change.

It is thinking about Rafael when plant these changes? I do not think about Rafael when plant changes. If I was a leader of the ATP or ITF be not alert of what tell me the players, because is of course all they want that the things go well to them. The changes not one must do them of today for tomorrow, because it would be not fair, since would affect to whom they have been prepared during years. But yes they would give an opportunity for going improving. For example, to say that there will be such change inside five years or to begin with the children.

The present time obliges. What seems him the dismissal of Michael Laudrup of the Majorca? It knows me badly that a coach as Michael Laudrup, that at least like the player had a great prestige, be destitute. Besides, was a pleasant and very correct person. He has been a bad news that have not followed because gave prestige to the Majorca. I do not know who is the guilty one, but if he has removed him, his reasons will have the maximum shareholder. In every case, by system, the changes with the season know me badly already begun.

The case Laudrup has been the first focus of a fire that has grown along this week in the shape of internal war… I do not know the theme and I remit me to what I have seen in the mass media. I am not a great reader of sports news, although as is the Majorca yes I am a little more attentive. I believe that is good to work with tranquility because itself cannot work with excessive tension. Is normal that have something of tension in the world of the sport, but not exaggerated. I do not believe that be good to air the matters, because besides this generates a little discouragement between the fans and the players. One must resolve the problems internally and if you have a long-term project, to maintain it.

Resolve it at home and quickly… as soon as possible and of doors toward inside. It is normal that there be problems, but not one must do more statements than the concise, that the ones that touch.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

It seems that Tony thinks the recipe for beating Nole is in mind over matter. Not so sure I'd aggree.....
It will be very interesting to see the next Novak Nadal match, and even more the one after that Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

I'd say Djokovic is a more complete player with no real weakness Nadal can attack. Djokovic's complete game gives Nadal no real tactical options and there's no real identifiable strategy when he plays Nole.

That said, Toni is only concerned about what his ward could do better or could have done better. He can't very well come out to say his 10-time slam champion nephew loses to Nole cos he's 5h*te.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm

I read teh spanish version. My spanish is rusty still better than Google.

The funny thing is that he says Nole was lucky v Federer cause he should/could have lost. Though I understand that I read it as Nadal was very unlucky that Federer did not beat Nole like he did at teh French cause that woudl have guaranteed the USO to Nadal.

I completely disagree with the losses being in the mind. This is very poor judgement from Toni as even if Nadal was close to win in IW and MIami, it was certainly not Djoko at his best there and that I expect future finals to be even more straight forward....unless Nadal develops even bigger guns.

I am stunned at the way he wants the conds and rules to change cause the game and players have changed. It's shocking. But I am only half surprised as he is the one who extended the time allowed between points for Nadal. He, of course, doesn't see there is something wrong with Nadal's gruelling physical style. It woudl not cross his mind that Karlovic would want smaller balls and a larger service area.

Last edited by Tenez on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm

Nadal was lucky to face so many easy opponents up until finals Smile
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

Is he really syaing that ball goes too fast and the courts are fast - not sure if things are lost here in translation! Nitb, can you help?

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:Is he really syaing that ball goes too fast and the courts are fast - not sure if things are lost here in translation! Nitb, can you help?

he says exactly that. He is complaining that Nadal can't retrieve all the balls! He doesn't see that in the 90s the "2m players" as he says were not bothering retrieving 2/3 of the balls Nadal retrieves.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

Tenez wrote:I read teh spanish version. My spanish is rusty still better than Google.

The funny thing is that he says Nole was lucky v Federer cause he should/could have lost. Though I understand that I read it as Nadal was very unlucky that Federer did not beat Nole like he did at teh French cause that woudl have guaranteed the USO to Nadal.

I completely disagree with the losses being in the mind. This is very poor judgement from Toni as even if Nadal was close to win in IW and MIami, it was certainly not Djoko at his best there and that I expect future finals to be even more straight forward....unless Nadal develops even bigger guns.

I am stunned at the way he wants the conds and rules to change cause the game and players have changed. It's shocking. But I am only half surprised as he is the one who extended the time allowed between points for Nadal. He, of course, doesn't see there is something wrong with Nadal's gruelling physical style. It woudl not cross his mind that Karlovic would want smaller balls and a larger service area.

Thanks, Tenez , feel free to observe any other major points which might have been lost in translation thumbsup

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:Is he really syaing that ball goes too fast and the courts are fast - not sure if things are lost here in translation! Nitb, can you help?

amazing, isn't it?
I can just begin to imagine Toni's and Nadal's spats behind the closed doors:
Toni: he was lucky, you just fight and run like a nutter, and you're bound to beat him one day when he runs out of luck. Now, go to the gym and pump your biceps madly, so long as you can hit the ball harder and harder, you may wear him out more and maybe he'll break down physically quicker.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Nadal was lucky to face so many easy opponents up until finals Smile

So beating everyone but Nole when it matters somehow makes him lucky that he doesn't face Nole in every round of every tournament?

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

amazing, isn't it?
Toni: he was lucky, you just fight and run like a nutter, and you're bound to beat him one day when he runs out of luck. Now, go to the gym and pump your biceps madly, so long as you can hit the ball harder and harder, you may wear him out more and maybe he'll break down physically quicker.

Sounds a bit like the conversations I imagine Djokovic and coach were having prior to his dominance this year...

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm

Positively 4th Street wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

amazing, isn't it?

Sounds a bit like the conversations I imagine Djokovic and coach were having prior to his dominance this year...
come ooooooon laughing

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

mthierry wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:Nadal was lucky to face so many easy opponents up until finals Smile

So beating everyone but Nole when it matters somehow makes him lucky that he doesn't face Nole in every round of every tournament?
Nadals hardest match was first round to a player with 14 straights losses, that says everything about Nadals luck in GS draw.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
mthierry wrote:

Nadals hardest match was first round to a player with 14 straights losses, that says everything about Nadals luck in GS draw.

Now you're just being juvenile. So it's Nadals fault Murray and Roddick played crap and got run over. Other than Federer, no other player stood a chance- so he should apologise for being so much better than his opponents.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

Now that I remembered some of Nadals interviews, he, very often uses the word "luck".
I can understand when the match is tight, net cord, that kind of things, but it's amazingly infantile to explain your losses that way.
Does it make him recover mentally better from losses?
Is it sticking your head in the sand scenario?
And the vital question, Does he actually believe it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

Uncle-nephew duo have gone mad, I think!

I read his book where he admits that his competitive nature makes him do insane stuff. He says that once when someone from his own family won a friendly round of cards, he got upset and accused him/her of cheating which he understands that wasnt the case but he was so upset to lose that he couldnt take it.

Imagine, on a game of luck, he gets so mad. I can only imagine his mental torture being soundly beaten off by Djoker time and again with no respite in sight - Toni has made him a competitive robot.

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:Uncle-nephew duo have gone mad, I think!

I read his book where he admits that his competitive nature makes him do insane stuff. He says that once when someone from his own family won a friendly round of cards, he got upset and accused him/her of cheating which he understands that wasnt the case but he was so upset to lose that he couldnt take it.

Imagine, on a game of luck, he gets so mad. I can only imagine his mental torture being soundly beaten off by Djoker time and again with no respite in sight - Toni has made him a competitive robot.

Pretty weird...The more I hear, the less I want to know Shocked

BTW, what happened to one of the best emoticons, facepalm?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Now that I remembered some of Nadals interviews, he, very often uses the word "luck".
I can understand when the match is tight, net cord, that kind of things, but it's amazingly infantile to explain your losses that way.
Does it make him recover mentally better from losses?
Is it sticking your head in the sand scenario?
And the vital question, Does he actually believe it?
You remembered? Can you post a link to that claim or should we just make up stuff to score cheap points? Can you recall him making the claim in any of his defeats this year to Novak?

You know, you weren't always like this on BBC 606.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

"Can you post a link to that claim or should we just make up stuff to score cheap points? "
I don't need to, and if you have ever seen any of his interviews you'd remember as well.
If you are desperate, go and look yourself...but no, all you seem to be wanting to do here is insult.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:54 pm

Let me take it Nitb:
Here it goes MTH - a first googling attempt gave me these results:
Luck mentioned thrice here
Rafael Nadal Says “No Thanks, Bad Memories” on Returning to Restaurant Where he Burnt his Fingers: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-08-20/7750.php
Rafael Nadal: This Year I’m Not Having Much Luck Against Novak Djokovic: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-09-11/7942.php
This after hos loss to Dodig
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=nadal-crushes-out-of-rogers-cup-2011-08-11
Rafael Nadal Indian Wells Interview: “I Was Unlucky in the Beginning of the Season” http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-03-12/6546.php
Rafael Nadal Saturday Press Conference
http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Saturday.aspx

He mentions many times that he was lucky but I didnt open those links because I am in a hurry but as Nitb says, he uses lucky / unluck a lot of times...

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:Let me take it Nitb:
Rafael Nadal Says “No Thanks, Bad Memories” on Returning to Restaurant Where he Burnt his Fingers: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-08-20/7750.php
Rafael Nadal: This Year I’m Not Having Much Luck Against Novak Djokovic: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-09-11/7942.php
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=nadal-crushes-out-of-rogers-cup-2011-08-11
Rafael Nadal Indian Wells Interview: “I Was Unlucky in the Beginning of the Season” http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-03-12/6546.php
http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Saturday.aspx

He mentions many times that he was lucky but I didnt open those links because I am in a hurry but as Nitb says, he uses lucky / unluck a lot of times...

Going through 3 of those links, he never mentioned luck in 2 of them and in the only place he mentioned it (after the blister incident before he played Fish), this is the quote:

"So I lost because Mardy played
much better than me. I had a few
chances. A little bit unlucky for
moments. But that’s tennis and
that’s sport."

Hardly the delusional, head burying in the sand, red-herring NITB was referring to. Just another transparent Nadal bashing attempt that pervades nigh on every thread on this forum.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:13 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

amazing, isn't it?

Djokovic did get a bit of luck this year. Everything fell into place for him. I'm sure he would be the first to admit it. Thats how sport goes sometimes. Nadals coach and uncle knows what he is talking about. He's also more willing to say what he thinks to the media. Unlike coaches of other players he is not in fear of his job. A good translation rather than a mangled one would help...

noleisthebestbecauseIthinkheismoremanlythacertainothers is just using this as an excuse to call a player she has an intense dislike for wierd and just like in the playground try and get others to join in with the name calling. As for all that fantasy stuff about the gym? This will certainly attract posters who have a personal dislike of Nadal but is so childish its not worth responding to. From what I've read here the dislike has little to do with his tennis.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

mthierry wrote:

Going through 3 of those links, he never mentioned luck in 2 of them and in the only place he mentioned it (after the blister incident before he played Fish), this is the quote:

"So I lost because Mardy played
much better than me. I had a few
chances. A little bit unlucky for
moments. But that’s tennis and
that’s sport."

Hardly the delusional, head burying in the sand, red-herring NITB was referring to. Just another transparent Nadal bashing attempt that pervades nigh on every thread on this forum.

What are you saying - did you not find him saying that his losing to Didig was because he was unlucky! Is my internet showing me more that what you are able to see?

Anyways, I would admit that Nadal uses it both ways - he says many times that he was lucky and many times (annoyingly) mentions that he had been unlucky. Not that I try and find a fault there but this was my revert to your post asking Nitb for links. Anybody who has seen Rafa know that he uses luck word often (and again, I am not discussing merits of it) but the least you could have done is googled (and that is if you havent ever watched Nadal's interviews) instead of coming all angry on Nitb!!

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

Ha ha! So ilovefederer and ilovedjokovicbutihatenadalmore both agree that they dislike Nadal. Ha ha again...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:Uncle-nephew duo have gone mad, I think!

I expect quite a few top sportsmen would come up with similar scenarios in their life. They get to the top because because they are competitive and hate lose. Even outside sport I expect many people could relate this sort of incident to themselves or members of their family.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Calder106 wrote:I expect quite a few top sportsmen would come up with similar scenarios in their life. They get to the top because because they are competitive and hate lose. Even outside sport I expect many people could relate this sort of incident to themselves or members of their family.

My thoughts exactly Calder. I was a thoroughly rotten loser as a kid, but it happened so often that I mellowed. I thought that was a funny anecdote re Nadal but it seems the dye is cast for many here and he will be criticised for anything.

As for the "lucky/unlucky" thing, I just think it's a stock phrase that Nadal uses. This doesn't mean that's the sum total of his thoughts on the matter. Most players come up with banal statements pre- and post-match.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

Fedex,

you are a star Very Happy !

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:It seems that Tony thinks the recipe for beating Nole is in mind over matter. Not so sure I'd aggree.....
It will be very interesting to see the next Novak Nadal match, and even more the one after that Wink

Well, if Toni really believes that, then.... Novak will continue to be beat Rafa more often than not.

The answer to Rafa's problems may lie, ironically, in the way that Federer plays against Novak. Roger, after all, only one of two players to beat Novak this year and was agonizingly close at this year's US Open. Rafa's team may do well to look at the tape of the FO 11 semi between Roger and Novak and this year's US Open semis between Roger and Novak.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

Fedex,

you are a star Very Happy !

Thanks Wink

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by Fedex_the_best Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

kemet wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:It seems that Tony thinks the recipe for beating Nole is in mind over matter. Not so sure I'd aggree.....

Well, if Toni really believes that, then.... Novak will continue to be beat Rafa more often than not.

The answer to Rafa's problems may lie, ironically, in the way that Federer plays against Novak. Roger, after all, only one of two players to beat Novak this year and was agonizingly close at this year's US Open. Rafa's team may do well to look at the tape of the FO 11 semi between Roger and Novak and this year's US Open semis between Roger and Novak.

Kemet, not sure if what I am thinking is actually what you meant. Do you actually mean to say that Rafa should learn to serve like Fed, take ball early and hit flat forehands, improve forecourt game, volley well and agressively and stay rooted inside the court not 3 feet outside? Because of what I saw - these are some of the stuff which Fed did to beat Djoker and I am not sure any of these things Rafa could even think of doing let alone actually pulling it off.

I dont know if I watch a different tennis but what is telecasted at my TV shows a Rafa who always stays 3 feet behind baseline, moves the ball around till the opponent tires and makes a mistake - there is an exact same trajectory on his forehands and backhands and till pushed to a corner, never even attempts to win a point but does enough just not to lose points on a consistent basis. He comes to net 10 minutes after umpire and the other player plant there for toss and carefully avoids it till he needs to yell at the umpire from earshot distance for warnings on time wasting or coaching and then again when the game is over and they need to shake hand and you are suggesting that this guy should volley more!

The best chance for Rafa is - well, there is no chance if Djoker is fit. If you think Ferrer has a chance against fit Rafa (since Rafa of 2008 onwards), that is exactly the chance I would give Rafa against fit Djoker.

Fedex_the_best

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

Djokovic has been playing at a level which Nadal cannot play at; he was playing too flawlessly, honestly he made computer games tennis look pale in comparison, he also doesn't play with the pressure Roger has when playing Nadal, i.e being the hunted slams wise..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

Fedex_the_best wrote:
kemet wrote:

Kemet, not sure if what I am thinking is actually what you meant. Do you actually mean to say that Rafa should learn to serve like Fed, take ball early and hit flat forehands, improve forecourt game, volley well and agressively and stay rooted inside the court not 3 feet outside? Because of what I saw - these are some of the stuff which Fed did to beat Djoker and I am not sure any of these things Rafa could even think of doing let alone actually pulling it off.

I dont know if I watch a different tennis but what is telecasted at my TV shows a Rafa who always stays 3 feet behind baseline, moves the ball around till the opponent tires and makes a mistake - there is an exact same trajectory on his forehands and backhands and till pushed to a corner, never even attempts to win a point but does enough just not to lose points on a consistent basis. He comes to net 10 minutes after umpire and the other player plant there for toss and carefully avoids it till he needs to yell at the umpire from earshot distance for warnings on time wasting or coaching and then again when the game is over and they need to shake hand and you are suggesting that this guy should volley more!

The best chance for Rafa is - well, there is no chance if Djoker is fit. If you think Ferrer has a chance against fit Rafa (since Rafa of 2008 onwards), that is exactly the chance I would give Rafa against fit Djoker.

Yep, that is pretty much Rafa's dilemma. Novak is "out-Rafa'ing" Rafa. Rafa played far too defensively against Novak in the 2011 US Open final and appeared to be content to engage in protracted baseline rallies with Novak, where a more aggressive approach would most likely have worked. After all, he was far more aggressive during the US Open 2010, with a monstrous serve and excellent volleying and it resulted in him winning his maiden US Open title. I am mystified as to why he departed from that plan. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

In the 2011 edition of the US Open Final, he played far too defensively (i.e. attempted to play a clay court match on hard court), and, as you said, did not try to dictate more of the rallies. He hoped against all hope that Novak would become frustrated and go for a winner, thus resulting in an error, as is the case with so many of his other opponents. The difference is that Novak can best Rafa in a baseline duel and is very strong off the backhand side. If not for Federer's brilliance in the FO 11 semi, the FO final could have been an interesting affair.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

kemet wrote:[ I am mystified as to why he departed from that plan. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

?????he did not depart from that plan! Nadal has always had the same plan and will always have, with more or less energy! He simply was forced to depart from that plan by a fitter, more talented player who can handle his unique plan. Nadal played better this year than last year. He just came across a better opponent in all the 6 finals he played and lost.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

Tenez wrote:
kemet wrote:[ I am mystified as to why he departed from that plan. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

?????he did not depart from that plan! Nadal has always had the same plan and will always have, with more or less energy! He simply was forced to depart from that plan by a fitter, more talented player who can handle his unique plan. Nadal played better this year than last year. He just came across a better opponent in all the 6 finals he played and lost.

Take a look at the match statistics from last year's tournament:

http://2010.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html

Provided you can click on the link (I can't paste the stats here properly), take a look at Rafa's 1st serve speeds. Now take a look at his 1st and speed's for this year's tournament:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html

He was clearly serving much better last year than he was this year. So there is a definite difference. He also had a much higher winning percentage on his first serve last year as compared to this year. I remember commentators marveling at Rafa's improved serve during last year's tournament. So I am not sure I agree that Rafa has employed the same tactics this year compared to last year.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

"He was clearly serving much better last year than he was this year. So there is a definite difference."

So what happened in the meantime (with the serve), how do you lose 10mph?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

The serve is something that comes and go, for all players, but even last year a very tired, not as good Djoko wasn't far off from Nadal's level. This year Djoko is simply a much more solid and fitter player and I am convinced that Nadal's faster serves would have been returned faster to him.

Those variations in Nadal's serve speed support my view that Nadal isn't as talented as other players. there is a clear lack of "feel and touch" when it comes to timing with Nadal....maybe using his left hand has a crucial downside when it comes to time the ball as serving is all about timing.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

"The serve is something that comes and go,"
I am not convinced. That serve turned up exclusively at USO 2010 and NEVER before or after.
Percentages may vary, techniques can change marginally, but not the speed in that manner.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:"He was clearly serving much better last year than he was this year. So there is a definite difference."

That is indeed the grand slam winning question NITB. Rafa's serve somehow disappeared and with it his 1st serve winning percentage. That serve was really the difference in last year's tournament as it made it it easier for him to dictate and win more points.

This year, I am not sure what happened. Rafa's serve seemed to go away and was actually quite ordinary all tournament. Rafa of course compensated for this by his forehand cross court shot and amazing baseline game.

Against Novak however, his baseline game was neutralized and Novak essentially broke down his will, essentially doing to him what Rafa often does to Federer.

In summary, Rafa is going to have to adopt a more varied approach against Novak. His current strategy is clearly not working.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

"In summary, Rafa is going to have to adopt a more varied approach against Novak. His current strategy is clearly not working."

Nadal's problem is that his moonballing gives Nole plenty of time to retrieve anything he gets with interest, which is not the case against Federer who takes the time away from you with his shotmaking ability. Which is why the only option Nadal has is to believe Nole was lucky, he needs to keep working (read: live in the gym pushing weights) and bash that ball like mad hoping to wear Novak down.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

noleisthebest wrote:"In summary, Rafa is going to have to adopt a more varied approach against Novak. His current strategy is clearly not working."

Nadal's problem is that his moonballing gives Nole plenty of time to retrieve anything he gets with interest, which is not the case against Federer who takes the time away from you with his shotmaking ability. Which is why the only option Nadal has is to believe Nole was lucky, he needs to keep working (read: live in the gym pushing weights) and bash that ball like mad hoping to wear Novak down.

Agreed. It's a question of matchups. Apart from Australia, Novak generally seems to have tougher matches with Federer than Rafa. I am willing to bet money that this year's French Open final would have been a very different match if Novak had managed to get past Roger. However, Roger was simply sublime (John McEnroe acclaims this match as Roger's greatest performance at Roland Garros and I am inclined to agree) and it was not Novak's day.

A Novak-Rafa final even at Roland Garros, which is Fortress Rafa, would have been a titanic struggle, with Rafa, perhaps, pulling through in the end. Given his subsequent exploits at Wimbledon, I do not believe that Novak would have been overawed by the occasion and would have given a good account of himself.

But then again, that's why tennis is about matchups. It is always going to be tougher for Novak to get past Roger than Rafa nowadays.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:"The serve is something that comes and go,"
I am not convinced. That serve turned up exclusively at USO 2010 and NEVER before or after.
Percentages may vary, techniques can change marginally, but not the speed in that manner.

Well Nadal's serve variations are certainly extreme in the tennis world, and as said a few posts ago, very dependant on his energy levels.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm

kemet wrote:
Agreed. It's a question of matchups. Apart from Australia, Novak generally seems to have tougher matches with Federer than Rafa. I am willing to bet money that this year's French Open final would have been a very different match if Novak had managed to get past Roger. However, Roger was simply sublime (John McEnroe acclaims this match as Roger's greatest performance at Roland Garros and I am inclined to agree) and it was not Novak's day.

A Novak-Rafa final even at Roland Garros, which is Fortress Rafa, would have been a titanic struggle, with Rafa, perhaps, pulling through in the end. Given his subsequent exploits at Wimbledon, I do not believe that Novak would have been overawed by the occasion and would have given a good account of himself.

But then again, that's why tennis is about matchups. It is always going to be tougher for Novak to get past Roger than Rafa nowadays.

I disagree there. It;s not a question of matchups. It's a question of energy levels. Nadal's energy > Djoko's > Federer's

But Djoko currently as the best talent/energy ratio. If Nadal and Djoko's energy level drops slightly Federer wins. If Nadal had been able to keep on playing in the 4th and 5th set like in the first 3 sets he would have won the USO again cause Djoko was also done physically.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

Tenez wrote:
Those variations in Nadal's serve speed support my view that Nadal isn't as talented as other players. there is a clear lack of "feel and touch" when it comes to timing with Nadal....maybe using his left hand has a crucial downside when it comes to time the ball as serving is all about timing.

Everything 'supports' your theories about Nadal's 'lack of talent'. You fit theory to manipulated facts rather than the reverse case. Nadal's serving has diddly-squat to do with "talent" and a lot to do with his extreme western grip and body mechanics which doesn't transfer sufficient flat contact with the ball. It's not unusual for someone who plays with his naturally weaker hand.

I play a lot of table tennis and remember childhood games with my older sister. I was far better than her and to make games more competitive, I'd play with my weaker left. I observed I hit loopier, spinnier balls with more side spin motion in my stroke mechanics than the more penetrating top-spin.

You musn't manipulate every single thing to fit your theories about Nadal. There are tons of huge servers who aren't of much use in anything else found even in clubs.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Which is why the only option Nadal has is to believe Nole was lucky, he needs to keep working (read: live in the gym pushing weights) and bash that ball like mad hoping to wear Novak down.
Nitb, if you can't show a quote where Nadal explicitly blamed a loss to Nole on bad luck, please for the sake of a little self-preservation, quit this madness.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

mthierry wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
Which is why the only option Nadal has is to believe Nole was lucky, he needs to keep working (read: live in the gym pushing weights) and bash that ball like mad hoping to wear Novak down.
Nitb, if you can't show a quote where Nadal explicitly blamed a loss to Nole on bad luck, please for the sake of a little self-preservation, quit this madness.

Que?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 08 Oct 2011, 12:24 am

You take what you want out of the links that Fedex has supplied. Nadal uses the word unlucky frequently as evidenced in the the following from the Indian Wells link regarding Djokovic :

'When you are winning, it’s easier to keep playing well. So that’s why, no? He always was there. He was a little bit unlucky, but now he won in Australia, so that’s big confidence for everybody, winning a Grand Slam.
That’s why he’s probably the player who is playing better right now on the tour.'

Btw I've no isssue with Novak who has had an outstanding year just the constant attempts to belittle a player who has proved his worth over quite a few years now.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 08 Oct 2011, 12:46 am

mthierry wrote:

I play a lot of table tennis and remember childhood games with my older sister. I was far better than her and to make games more competitive, I'd play with my weaker left. I observed I hit loopier, spinnier balls with more side spin motion in my stroke mechanics than the more penetrating top-spin.

You musn't manipulate every single thing to fit your theories about Nadal. There are tons of huge servers who aren't of much use in anything else found even in clubs.

You see, you are supporting my point. By using your less "talented" arm, you were forced to loop more to increase the consistency of the shot.

I don't manipulate every single thing to fit my theory. I have no theory but an empirical knowledge of the game and that is why I can explain what I say "with every single thing". There is a difference. You are a fan trying to defend Nadal, I am a tennis player explaining Nadal's success.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 08 Oct 2011, 5:01 am

kemet wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:"He was clearly serving much better last year than he was this year. So there is a definite difference."

That is indeed the grand slam winning question NITB. Rafa's serve somehow disappeared and with it his 1st serve winning percentage. That serve was really the difference in last year's tournament as it made it it easier for him to dictate and win more points.

This year, I am not sure what happened. Rafa's serve seemed to go away and was actually quite ordinary all tournament. Rafa of course compensated for this by his forehand cross court shot and amazing baseline game.

Rafa withdrawing from Paris with shoulder issues - http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=5768435

Serving 135mph is not Nadal's natural serve. It was modeled after an Andy Murray serve. thumbsup

kemet wrote:Against Novak however, his baseline game was neutralized and Novak essentially broke down his will, essentially doing to him what Rafa often does to Federer. In summary, Rafa is going to have to adopt a more varied approach against Novak. His current strategy is clearly not working.

Uncle Toni admits that Djokovic is doing to Nadal, what Nadal did to Federer. Wink If Nadal cannot shorten points, a fitter Djokovic will always beat him. Having said that, Djokovic withdrew from Shanghai and his DC (vs Del Potro) ended in agony. His body is paying the price for being pushed so hard. I just pray for healthy players.

One surprising statement is the calendar being too long, from Toni and Nadal. From his website - http://www.rafaelnadal.com/calendar

DATE TOURNAMENT

03.01.2011 Qatar ExxonMobil Open

17.01.2011 Australian Open

From 31 Jan 2011 - 4 Mar 2011 (almost 4+ weeks of February, 2011)

04.03.2011 Davis CupBelgium

07.03.2011 BNP Paribas OpenIndian Wells, U.S.A

08.03.2011 Clash of the ChampionsOregon, USA

21.03.2011 Sony Ericsson OpenMiami, U.S.A

21.03.2011 Nadal vs Djokovic in Colombia

Why this exhibition match? Erm

09.04.2011 Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters

19.04.2011 Barcelona

29.04.2011 Mutua Madrileña Open

09.05.2011 Internazionali BNL d'ItaliaRome

23.05.2011 Roland GarrosParis, France

06.06.2011 AEGON Championships London

20.06.2011 Wimbledon

From 3 Jul 2011 - 8 Aug 2011 = 5 weeks

08.08.2011 Rogers Cup

15.08.2011 W&SF Group Masters Cincinnati

29.08.2011 US Open

12 Sep 2011 - 3 Oct 2011 = 2 weeks

03.10.2011 Rakuten Japan Open Tennis

So out of 11+ months (~45 weeks). there is a break of 11 weeks (~25%). He has played 70+ matches already. Why?

There is the number of matches the Top 4 played on another thread. Nadal has the highest number. Why play so many matches?

The players should manage their schedules better. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

"Rafa withdrawing from Paris with shoulder issues - http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=5768435

Serving 135mph is not Nadal's natural serve. It was modeled after an Andy Murray serve. "

Thanks for that, Laverfan, really interesting.I didn't know that, is that common knowledge or your guess?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next