The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Ireland team comparison

+13
Sin é
Standulstermen
andy powells minder
ME-109
munkian
Nos na Gaoithe
formerly known as Sam
rodders
pete (buachaill on eirne)
samuraidragon
Thomond
Smirnoffpriest
littlejohn
17 posters

Go down

Wales v Ireland team comparison Empty Wales v Ireland team comparison

Post by littlejohn Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

Seeing as everything is all still a bit nice and friendly I thought I'd up the ante slightly and do a player v player comparison to determine which team has the edge for tomorrow's game. This is my view and not the view of an expert, so feel free to enthusiastically challenge where you see fit

Ross v Jones: Both in top form, I'll give this marginally to Wales 0 - 1
Best v Bennet: Best wins this one (assuming he lasts the game) 1 - 1
Healy v Jenkins: Healy to edge this, Jenkins still getting back to form and Healy on fire. 2 - 1
O'Connell v Charteris: I've matched him to Charteris to give the second row battle a draw, O'Connell win in this matchup. 3 - 1
O'Callaghan v Jones: I've been a strong admirer of Jones so I'll give Wales this one. 3 - 2
Ferris v Lydiate: Ferris in savage form so he wins - will be a good test to see if Lydiate can match Stephen's agression 4 - 2
O'Brien v Warburton: I'm controversially giving this to Warburton (as a former 7 I value a true 7 over a 6.5) 4 - 3
Healsip v Faletau: Heaslip nicely stepping up the gears now, all set to dominate the inexperienced Faletau 5 - 3
Murray v Phillips: For all his critics Phillips is a handy player. Wales win here 5 - 4
O'Gara v Priestland: O'Gara all day long. Can Priestland handle the biggest game of his life? 6 - 4
Williams v Earls: Earls marginally for me, coming into the form of his life but Williams still has lovely feet, but Ireland have been able to read him in the last games. 7 - 4
Darcy v Roberts: Roberts takes this one (overall I think Ireland centres have marginal edge on Wales) 7 - 5
O'Driscoll v Davies: BOD to dominate in this game - these kind of games are what BOD had spent the best part of his adult life waiting for. 8 - 5
North v Bowe: Looking forward to seeing both players get ball in hand. I'll give this marginally to North who has been used more effectively by Wales than Bowe has. 8 - 6
Kearney v Halfpenny: Kearney wins purely has he's had more gametime and experience the young up and coming. Can half pint handle the the aerial bombardment? 9 - 6

Overall scores:

Ireland 9
Wales 6

So there you have it. Conclusive evidence that Ireland will win. Gulp Erm if only it were that easy!
Maybe that will be the final score too!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Wales v Ireland team comparison Empty Re: Wales v Ireland team comparison

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

Nice look at the teams - however (as you prob know) it will come down more to how the combinations go and the set pieces work.

But fingers crossed, I'm still saying Wales! Come on boys!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

I'm surprised you picked Irish fellas for some and surprised you picked Welsh guys for others! Fairly spot on though. I would have Bowe over North and Williams over Earls.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

A lot of them are very marginal I agree, so it really does come down to which team 'perform' on the day.

Marginal calls I had include:

Ross v Jones
O'Callaghan v Charteris
O'Brien v Warburton
Bowe v North
Williams v Earls

If either 5 of these players from Ireland and Wales comes out firing it would give their team enough of an edge to win.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Littlejohn, how about the benches? I can see a lot of subs from both sides.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

the way I see it is....

Scrum...pretty even
Lineout...Ireland
Defence...Ireland
Attack...Wales
Kicking game...Ireland
Breakdown....pretty even
Mentality...Ireland
Bench...pretty even

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

In theory:

Scrum: Wales
Lineout: Ireland
Defence: even
Attack: even
Breakdown: Ireland
Bench: Wales
Mentality: Wales
Kicking Game: Ireland.

Ireland are vulnerable in the 10-12 channel where Wales like to attack and Wales perhaps are vulnerable to the high ball and cross field kicks were Ireland like to attack. steam

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

If we're talking defences I think Wales are miles out in front, been massively impressed with their defence in the warm up matches and the RWC so far. They haven't been on top for in other areas but Warburton and Lydiate are machines in defence and this is coming from an Englishman.

Going to be a close game as Ireland have a tactical advantage on the kicking front and more power in the tight five (as a unit) as well as better carrying options in the backrow. Wales have a much more creative backline (Williams over Earles all day btw) and perhaps crucially I think the Welsh discipline is better and if I were them I'd be looking to use the rolling maul as how Ireland didn't get at least one (could have and maybe should have been two) yellow cards for desperately collapsing or coming in at the side vs Italy is beyond me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:If we're talking defences I think Wales are miles out in front, been massively impressed with their defence in the warm up matches and the RWC so far. They haven't been on top for in other areas but Warburton and Lydiate are machines in defence and this is coming from an Englishman.

Headscratch

If there's one area that gives me hope that Ireland will be in the semi final it is the development of our defensive game over the last 2 years. In the 6N: 0 tries conceded to England, Scotland and Wales (excluding the illegal try where the Irish were looking the other direction) and 1 try conceded to France. In the WC they've continued this in the two games that counted with 0 tries conceded to either Australia or Italy.

Wales' ability to keep out tries is still unproven and nowhere near as formidable.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

I wasn't saying the Irish defence was bad by any means but Wales seem to have developed a defence which is not only tight fisted on the penalty count but seems to keep it's shape after multiple phases. As seen against England in the warm ups and stood up to some pretty big challenges against South Africa, Fiji and Samoa.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:If we're talking defences I think Wales are miles out in front, been massively impressed with their defence in the warm up matches and the RWC so far.

I agree the Welsh defence is very strong but so far they haven't been tested whereas Ireland have one of the worlds best defences and didn't concede to either Australia or Italy.

Ireland have conceded very few penalties either so I'm not sure were you are getting that nonsence from.

The rolling maul was an problem for us against Italy but it is usually an area we defend very well.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I wasn't saying the Irish defence was bad by any means but Wales seem to have developed a defence which is not only tight fisted on the penalty count but seems to keep it's shape after multiple phases. As seen against England in the warm ups and stood up to some pretty big challenges against South Africa, Fiji and Samoa.

Still not seeing it. Headscratch

Wales conceded two tries to SA in a game they could have won. And another try to Samoa in a game they were close to losing because of it.

Wales may have the pace and unpredictability in the backline to trouble Ireland's defense. And that may win it for them. But Ireland clearly have the aggressive defensive game to trouble the best attacking back-lines... as they showed against Australia.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:51 pm

Earls over Shane ? warning

By 'form of his life ' you mean about standard for an internationl winger ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

Earlsy is doing just fine....lets see tomorrow shall we..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

Yup, hes doing fine - hardly setting world alight.

He's not re-writing wing play like Ashton - speaking of which, where's the book Chris ? Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

munkian wrote:Yup, hes doing fine - hardly setting world alight.

He's not re-writing wing play like Ashton - speaking of which, where's the book Chris ? Very Happy

Being ghost written thumbsup

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

andy powells minder wrote:

Being ghost written thumbsup

Laugh

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I wasn't saying the Irish defence was bad by any means but Wales seem to have developed a defence which is not only tight fisted on the penalty count but seems to keep it's shape after multiple phases. As seen against England in the warm ups and stood up to some pretty big challenges against South Africa, Fiji and Samoa.

Im not going to say i disagree with the overall point but i think you will find Wales have conceded much more penalties in the pools. It still is a much improved side of their game though i agree

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Ha ha ha ha drumroll
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

Sam, I think Wales gave away 17 penalties to Fiji!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

The ref did seem particualry harsh on Wales during that game mind, seemed to constantly have his arm half raised for Fiji.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

North didn't manage to score a try on Simon Zebo's wing (academy player Munster), though Zebo did mange to score on his wing in the Spring Very Happy

What's North's defense like? Earlsy could have a field day there if someone got the ball out to him!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

The ref did seem particualry harsh on Wales during that game mind, seemed to constantly have his arm half raised for Fiji.

I did miss that one. I thought the Welsh defended very well against a South African team and kept them in their half and without the ball for good chunks of the game. Wales are maybe missing a little of their usual sparkle but they seem a far more organised out fit than what we saw during the 6N.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

He's not re-writing wing play like Ashton - speaking of which, where's the book Chris ?

Sorry but that really did make me want to puke.

What an over rated player he is. Unreal. Goes missing more times than something which goes missing all the time. Dunno what but its probably missing now.

Wheres Ashton?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

You want to asking Kris Radlinski, as he's the one who actually said that. Well done.. Erm
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

To be fair Ashton is the tournament leading try scorer at the moment.

The fact that he went completely missing in the tight games when the pressure was on, and showed up like a flat track bully against the minnows should not be allowed to over-shaddow this clearly tremendous feat.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:To be fair Ashton is the tournament leading try scorer at the moment.

The fact that he went completely missing in the tight games when the pressure was on, and showed up like a flat track bully against the minnows should not be allowed to over-shaddow this clearly tremendous feat.

You have a point. Romania "B" can be quite the challenge. No ROG playing for the Oaks to slap Ash around...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

Boyne wrote:

He's not re-writing wing play like Ashton - speaking of which, where's the book Chris ?

Sorry but that really did make me want to puke.

What an over rated player he is. Unreal. Goes missing more times than something which goes missing all the time. Dunno what but its probably missing now.

Wheres Ashton?

How's this jumped into talking about Ashton? The only game & players I'm interested in this weekend is Ireland v Wales. We can talk about England players only if they beat France. Until then let us continue to ponder the eternal debate of who are the superior Celts; Ireland or Wales boxing

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

I reject the Celt label. Je suis qui je suis.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:To be fair Ashton is the tournament leading try scorer at the moment.

Quite how he scored in the final few minutes to secure a win against the Jocks confuses me too. censored
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

Boyne wrote:I reject the Celt label. Je suis qui je suis.

Headscratch Huguenot?

...... Just kidding Boyne... thumbsup

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

A try against the renowned impervious defense of Scotland?

Well then I take it all back. The man is the greatest ever.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:A try against the renowned impervious defense of Scotland?

Well then I take it all back. The man is the greatest ever.

Damn straight. Bow down to his superiorusness... Run
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

Sin é wrote:

Sam, I think Wales gave away 17 penalties to Fiji!

And 14 against Samoa

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down