The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Candiates for England Manager?

+36
The WarLord Mashaka
deadfred
maestegmafia
Irish Londoner
Gatts
Glas a du
Hirwaun7
BATH_BTGOG
emack2
tomathy
beshocked
George Carlin
Ozzy3213
formerly known as Sam
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Shifty
robbo277
bedfordwelsh
screamingaddabs
RubyGuby
eirebilly
LondonTiger
mystiroakey
doctor_grey
rugbynut
sportform
G2
tazfalklands
Biltong
radelven
majesticimperialman
sirtidychris
Armchairexpert
40 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Candiates for England Manager? - Page 3 Empty Candiates for England Manager?

Post by Armchairexpert Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

It might be a bit premature as we don't yet know if MJ will fall on his sword or whether someone will push him or not. (Actually I'm not sure I know who would do the pushing anyway and certainly not who would do the selection of a replacement, but anyway......)

Who could possibly lead England forward - candidate proposals with arguments pending a poll.

For what it's worth I would be very happy to see Jim Mallinder in charge of England. He has worked successfully in the England set up before with U21s and Saxons, I like what he has done with Northampton ie developing a team with a clear and positive approach to the game, nurturing talent rather than buying it. You could argue against him as he hasn't won any major silverware but I think if you look at how much he has delivered with what he has to work with it is pretty impressive. It seems he can spot potential and develop it well and create a very positive team ethos both things an England manager needs.

Dean Richards is another much talked about option but although he won plenty of silverware with Leicester he had fantastic material to work with and I am not sure he deserves all the plaudits.

Others?

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Candiates for England Manager? - Page 3 Empty Re: Candiates for England Manager?

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:44 pm

Won't they abide by English traditions, go out to the nearest pub, get rat arsed and have good fight in public, before inadvertantly leaving their confidental documents somewhere that can easily be stolen?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Candiates for England Manager? - Page 3 Empty Re: Candiates for England Manager?

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:45 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
tomathy wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:More bureaucracy...that will sort it out for sure.

Well getting an outsider to report on the RFU is bound to do more good than just sitting around. Whatever happens, the RFU needs to know soon what direction it's heading in.
Unfortunately, as the article points out, Cotton has glaringly nailed his colours to the mast already, so his degree of independence must come under severe scrutiny?

ASBO, you're hardly going to get a rugby person in England that's "independent". Every former player in with a shout at this job is going to have strong views (likely aired in public). They'll probably ignore and criticise the review anyway.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

it looks like MJ is going nowhere, sureely he would have allready announced leaving allready otherwise. lets hope he takes on board his tacticle mistakes made and sorts them out. Lets see if he can sort out his leadership qualities. And please please RFU let him sort out the coaches and get rid of the old ones

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

I doubt he'll rush into anything, it's early days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I doubt he'll rush into anything, it's early days.

yeah you may be right. But i think the longer it goes on the more support from ex players he will get and that could make his mind up.

Some player was banging on about the possibilty of woodwood coming back into the scene(not as manager)- is that a possibility

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I doubt he'll rush into anything, it's early days.

yeah you may be right. But i think the longer it goes on the more support from ex players he will get and that could make his mind up.

Some player was banging on about the possibilty of woodwood coming back into the scene(not as manager)- is that a possibility

people are banging on about that constantly. i doubt he'd quit his current role this close to the olympics, considering the mess the rfu is in anyway.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:35 pm

RFU Reviews

Played 7
Drawn 1
Lost 0

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:39 pm

Andy Robinson would do a spiffing job for you, Scotland highly recommend him!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Andy Robinson would do a spiffing job for you, Scotland highly recommend him!

Or that Ashton fella, he took a team to RWC final and then the next year 2nd in the 6Ns and had a 54% win rate - 1% less than MJ....can you believe it that team sacked him...now....who were they?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Candiates for England Manager? - Page 3 Empty dean richards

Post by rugbynut Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

i think dean richards a tallented coach and if he never got involved in rugby it would be agreat waste .he was not the only coach to bend te rules before the extra prop how many matches had uncontested scrums how many used flu viruses not to play a match or to many of there top players were suddenly injured no i would have at the helm for england give him achance to redeem himself
doctor_grey wrote:As I said somewhere else, I believe England should have an English coach/manager. But the set-up has to be reviewed first. Rob Andrew is starting another review, as if he is above this problem. If he at the top of the pyramid, then he is, by definition, part of the problem. So, one of the foxes is in charge of the hen house.

Jim Mallinder? No. Too early. This sounds like it would be a panic move. Good man with good results. But it is not fair to him or England to rush him. The job will be there again.

Dean Richards? No. Should never be allowed back in Rugby.

Cockers? Well, not the most cuddly gent in the world, but he has won...........

rugbynut

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:10 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Dean Richards? No. Should never be allowed back in Rugby.

why exactly? he got a three year ban, and I can't see why it should have been a life one.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

tomathy wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Dean Richards? No. Should never be allowed back in Rugby.

why exactly? he got a three year ban, and I can't see why it should have been a life one.

I agree but can you imagine the potential for the press if Eng were to pick him...naive of Moore to suggest it to be honest

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3