The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A word for our WELSH brethren...

+6
Thomond
RubyGuby
Shifty
rodders
bedfordwelsh
Nos na Gaoithe
10 posters

Go down

A word for our WELSH brethren... Empty A word for our WELSH brethren...

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

I'm only slowly recovering from what was one of the most painful defeats in memory for us. But there are a few things that have cushioned the blow. For one thing Ireland showed they still had some world class performances left in the bank and some talent that is still a few years off being fully developed. Secondly it was a tight enough game for the most part and there's no great shame in losing out to what looks a genuinely formidable Welsh team.

But most of all what's making me feel better is the fact that both Wales and Ireland have brought an open intensity and particularly physical style of rugby that, for the first time in both our histories at the WC, has shown itself competitive with the SH teams. And so many of these players have years yet to come.

Who knows? Hopefully this success and talent can bring that new intensity and interest into RABO 12 games as well as HC participation. Then maybe we can see even more development and progress over the next four years (with the Scottish game somehow benefitting also).

In any case to all the Welsh posters who have been magnaminous in victory... Watch out for those crazy frenchies (We all know we would have found a way to lose to them in any case! censored ). I hope ye give 'em hell in the Semi. And remember which team it was that gave ye such a fantastic opportunity to make your first WC Final! Wink

(It's still killing me though! Sad )

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

A word for our WELSH brethren... Empty Re: A word for our WELSH brethren...

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

Nos,

I know I posted a not to magnainous post earlier in response to in idiot (not even Irish I guess) who was just Wumming every post about this game but I still am genuinely in shock over how good we played yesterday.

My heart said we would win (it always does) but my head said it would be a close run battle with you guys sneaking by a point or two.

For me my nerves got even worse when Sexton came on as I thought he should have started for you guys anyway and was far happier seeing ROG start because I knew we could 'get at him'.

Your front row has improved over the season or so and you still have one of the best back 5s out there in DOC POC SOB Ferris and Heaslip.

BOD looked dedidedly off the pace and maybe its time to look elsewhere, what is your cupbaord like in the centre positions?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

Yeah what Nos said. This was the strongest Ireland have been for a while and although we fell short from our earlier performances, we weren't poor by any stretch and came up short against a talented young Welsh side playing out of their skins.

The biggest favour the Welsh could do for us now is win the feckin tournament. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

rod,

It would be a pretty big favour to me as well considering I got them at 40/1 before the WC started and put a tenner on it Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Nos,

I know I posted a not to magnainous post earlier in response to in idiot (not even Irish I guess) who was just Wumming every post about this game but I still am genuinely in shock over how good we played yesterday.

My heart said we would win (it always does) but my head said it would be a close run battle with you guys sneaking by a point or two.

For me my nerves got even worse when Sexton came on as I thought he should have started for you guys anyway and was far happier seeing ROG start because I knew we could 'get at him'.

Your front row has improved over the season or so and you still have one of the best back 5s out there in DOC POC SOB Ferris and Heaslip.

BOD looked dedidedly off the pace and maybe its time to look elsewhere, what is your cupbaord like in the centre positions?

No prob Bedford... who hasn't been hooked by a WUM or two in their time!

As regards the centres... well there's a whole thread on this stuff brewing around this somewhere?? But in among the many suggestions doing the rounds is the idea of moving BOD in to No. 12 and then trying out a few of his most likely inheritors in the great man's presence. Then its an open question as to who those inheritors might be (over the next years): McFadden at one time seemed a shoe-in, now there's talk of moving Trimble or Bowe in there, until the development of younger guys like Ulster's Spence and Darren Cave, etc.

40-1!!!!! jesus... if it's even possible... that's gonna make it even more exciting. Mind your heart!

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

Nevin Spences' name seems to be the on cropping up and I like the idea of Bowe in the centre but would he have to maybe move back home to get regular game time in that position. I guess the O's still see and use him as a wing.

Heart, nerves nails etc are shot and chewed to bits after yesterday so god knows what I will be like next week.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

I wanted Ireland and Scotland to do well in this tournament because they share a league with us in the Pro 12/Magners league. I know it will sound like 'coat tailing', which we here in Wales are often accused of when congratulating Irish HC success, but I do genuinely feel more of an affinity for the Scots and Irish (and more recently the Italians) because of our league. An Irish HC win, although nothing to do with Wales, for me feels like a win for 'one of our own'. Daft maybe. 'Vicarious success' i'm going to call it!

Maybe it's because our approaches to the league allows us as countries to send out development sides and try new things out, but I sort of feel that we're all developing together as one due to our league. That's why I felt bad to see Ireland go out, but glad to see how strong they are, and put that down to the ground work done in the pro12. I know it's not the best league in the world, not the most intense, but it seems to be doing something for the Irish and Welsh on the intenational stage, and hopefully the Scots and Italians won't be too far behind going forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

I really think Ireland needs to freshen their team up to be honest, Wales looked a bit like Ireland a few years ago and desperatly needed some fresh blood, energy, and some enthusiasm.

They do need to let Rog retire to be honest because while Sexton has him as a safety net, he will never learn to cope with pressure. Any time he is a bit dodgy Ireland simply bring him off and save him from taking a beating, but most of the better players learn from having their confidence shattered, and come back stronger. Many fade without trace but the true world class players will always fight back. Sexton is now 26 and shouldn't be molly coddled to the extent he is with Ireland.

I'd also let O'Driscoll go to, he is 33 and not going to get better and to be honest I think Paul O'Connell is a much more natural leader and should take the captaincy until the next Lions tour.

I still think Wales and Ireland is a 50/50 game, both teams have depth, both teams have a raft of young kids coming through, but Wales have stolen a (very small) march simply because Wales have been prepared to give their kids more chances in the 6 Nations and Gatland has been prepared to take risks where Kidney is always safety first.

The competitiion between the Welsh and Irish is making both countries stronger, so it is beneficial to both of us.
Though in the longer term I doubt both sets of fans will always be so friendly simply because season after season your our teams are our direct competition and both of us can't win RaboDirect Cups and Grand slams.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 09 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

thumbsup Leprechaun guinness

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 09 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

Agree with Alyn. Sexton needs to be backed. I was watching an NFL documentary last week about a guy called Kurt Warner . As he moved into the latter stages of his career he played for the New York Giants as a backup. In one game the starting QB ,in his first year, gave away 4 interceptions and was hauled off. Warner actually defended the kid and said the coaching staff should have kept him on or he wouldn't learn from his mistakes. I think it's similar with Sexton and ROG.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 09 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

Realisticaly where are Ireland going to look beyond Sexpest? Its not like ROG was flawless his entire career, far from it. I dont know whats to gain by having him hang around the squad and stop the next wonderkd get the treatment.
Theres a small line between success and failiure, and not all teams can wiun all the time or it woudl just be a school sports days. Sometimes you come up against a team whos on top of their game, ask Australia, and it makes you look worse rthan you really are. Its not so long ago that Sexton was wipeing the smirk off Ashton his chums faces.

Wales may be slightly lucky in hitting tehir best at the right time, but its awesome to have a show from the NH sides. Next 6 nations will be huge for everyone....what a frickin awesome competition that is. Why people want to mess with it I dont know.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

PSW- welcome to our country! I noted the change of address, nice one!!!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

Cheers Nos. guinness

I was gutted that we had to play Ireland, I would've liked to see both teams get to the semis, but one of us had to go. Ireland provided one of the most entertaining matches of the tournament beating Oz. I know Ireland will come good again, they've certainly got the talent to do it. Leprechaun

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

Cari wrote:Cheers Nos. guinness

I was gutted that we had to play Ireland, I would've liked to see both teams get to the semis, but one of us had to go. Ireland provided one of the most entertaining matches of the tournament beating Oz. I know Ireland will come good again, they've certainly got the talent to do it. Leprechaun
Lovely post, but we all know you only wanted Ireland in the tournament because of Bowe Laugh

Never mind you can have a good ol'perv on him with the Ospreys back in Wales now thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

Alyn - on that theory, I should've wanted Ireland out cause Tommy will be back to play for the O's quite soon. Can't wait to see him at the West Wales derby!! Seriously though, I have a lot of respect for the Irish team and I was a bit sad that we had to play them. I would've liked to see them knock out England (pay back for Wally Wink ).

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:07 pm

Cari wrote:Alyn - on that theory, I should've wanted Ireland out cause Tommy will be back to play for the O's quite soon. Can't wait to see him at the West Wales derby!! Seriously though, I have a lot of respect for the Irish team and I was a bit sad that we had to play them. I would've liked to see them knock out England (pay back for Wally Wink ).
Aha!!! Headscratch
Didnt see that side of the debate sorry Wink
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

Cheers NOS...

A wonderful game between two form teams, Ireland have been great this tournament.

The greatest thing about a classic Celtic clash such as this is always no matter whether your team wins or loses, we always have a great drink up afterwards...

Can't wait to see what happens to Ireland over the next four years, we are all expecting good things, Ireland are already getting so many things right...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down