The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup?

+3
kiakahaaotearoa
Shifty
Taylorman
7 posters

Go down

Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup? Empty Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup?

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:08 am

From what I can tell Graham Henry is retiring after the world cup. Should he win the title he will by any reasonable measure retire as the most successful coach in the history of the game. Even if he doesnt win it he is up there with the very best.

2 or 3 Questions.
Will the general rugby world let him? Will teams tempt him to play some sort of role in the game. Hes an astute student of the game and probably has a lot to offer.

Will he let himself back in the back door somehow? can he himself just stay away from the game either from this sunday evening or if we're lucky...next? Can he advise on a non ab side...locally or overseas.

Or is he just too old? Lets just put him out to pasture?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup? Empty Re: Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup?

Post by Shifty Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:39 am

He's made his money and is of retirement age, let the old man put his slippers on and relax.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup? Empty Re: Is Graham Henry off limits post world cup?

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

Its really whether he'll put the slippers on himself.
Hes lived and breathed rugby for near on 25 Years at the top in some form.
To think this week could be his last ever test is surreal.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

Man U still has Alex Ferguson. He´s 103 and still going strong.

Don´t see Ted in a coaching role but maybe in an advisory role. I hope whatever the result though this weekend that he is remembered in a similar way as Muliaina. One who has served NZ rugby well and done us proud.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

He'll be after dinner circuit, a biography, and then selected 2015 RWC punditry.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

I could see him taking up the same sort of club advisory roles that McGeechan has.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:13 pm

Whats the score with steve hansen?? is he staying on, moving up/sideways??

He was a good guy for us, but seems to be off other nations radars a bit

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

andy powells minder wrote:Whats the score with steve hansen?? is he staying on, moving up/sideways??
Steve Hansen is on record as saying he wants to "broaden his coaching horizons", he wanted the head coach job at Canterbury Crusaders but was turned down for it, I can see Hansen leaving and getting a job either possibly in Wales with him joining the Ospreys or possibly the Blues, or potentially staying in New Zealand with a NPC province.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

Kieran Crowley for Canada, JK for Japan, WG for Wales, Jamie Joseph for the Highlanders, Steve Hansen, John Mitchell, Gordon Tietjens. Plenty of names in the hat.

Call him under the radar but I like the sounds of Jamie Joseph. Hansen and Tew deserve a peg down in the NZRFU hierarchy in my view.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

Dont get your hopes up Kia, Warrens not going anywhere.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

You can have him mate. Looks to be doing a good job over there for you and is contracted until 2015 but I think his abrasive style burnt a lot of bridges for him back in NZ. Good to see Wales on the rise and no point upsetting the boat there by reclaiming him.

Like I said, I really like Jamie Joseph. Did great work for the Maori, has put some pride back in the Highlanders and would love to see how he does with a good team. Would also love to see Titch in some role purely out of curiosity as to what he could bring. Left field I know but Deans and Gatland seem secure in their roles and think Hansen alone with no Ted or Wayne Smith seems a bit diluted. Mike Cron as scrum coach should stay on the other hand. Though Greg Feek seems to have done a world of good for Ireland... Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

Isn't Mike Cron retiring after the RWC?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

Joseph is largely the same as gatland kia.
All huff n puff at the beginning. Gets them going initially but doesnt follow through with player or squad development.

Highlanders hurricanes both in that boat. Highlanders ended up going through the motions end of sxv as they usually do.

Hes the army drill type. Good for some but never works for the abs.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

I hope not GG.

I don´t know Taylorman. 1995 was a drill sergeant fitness nut. We didn´t too shabbily there.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

Yeah its just a bit one dimensional.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down