The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job

+5
offload
Knowsit17
Gatts
niwatts
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job Empty New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job

Post by maestegmafia Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8907491/New-Zealands-World-Cup-winning-coach-Graham-Henry-rules-himself-out-of-the-England-job.html

Henry

Mallet

Woodwood

Mallinder

Jones

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job Empty Re: New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job

Post by niwatts Wed 23 Nov 2011, 12:55 am

Am I missing something, why does Mallinder's name have a line through it?

You seem to have written this article with minimum effort for discussion, but more of a visual bent to provoke the more troll like English posters. Very naughty!

Interesting that Henry says he's cashing in his chips after WC success and isn't interested in international rugby anymore.

Quoting from Reuters:

"I am contracted to the New Zealand Rugby Union until the end of March. I have no desire to coach a team.

"I have done 140 Tests and that is probably enough. I have been very privileged.

"I just think it is time to move on."

"I’d say that there was zero chance of me being involved in international rugby in 12 months’ time.”

Very interesting to read his comments on the Lions tour as well:

“I didn’t coach particularly well,” Henry said. “I didn’t get to know the players well enough, nor did I involve them enough. I didn’t do it right.”

niwatts

Back to top Go down

New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job Empty Re: New Zealand's World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry rules himself out of the England job

Post by Gatts Wed 23 Nov 2011, 1:46 am

Peter De Villiers for England Very Happy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 2:41 am

None of the signs indicated that the idea of another int'l job appealed to Henry, I believe ever since the world cup he was strongly hinting at a club preference from now on and even then not necessarily a big role. That considered, not sure why the bookmakers were so keen on him for the England job.

Looking more and more like it'll be Mallinder.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 23 Nov 2011, 5:29 am

Hardly a great field to select from, the ultimate embarassment might just be no one wants the poison chalice anyway

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:08 am

Interesting comments on the 2001 Lions. Henry obviously learned from that experience and became a better coach.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

My mistake last i heard saints were saying he couldn't, but he is saying he is.

Looks like Eddie Jones and Mallinder are the candidates most interested. Jones would be good. England need a guy who has done it before.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:40 am

Eddie O'Sullivan is keen on the role. He made an annoucement today through his agent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8908213/Former-Ireland-coach-Eddie-OSullivan-keen-on-replacing-Martin-Johnson-as-England-manager.html
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

Lucky escape for England IMO, have people forgot about the 2001 Lions tour.

Lets be honest how long did it take Henry to win a RWC with the best pool of players in the world, and then they only scraped it against a poor French team whilst playing at home.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

The same time it took him HERSH to amass a success rate of 85 per cent against test sides. You´re right, he was nothing special. You could have a monkey coach the ABs and the results would be the same. Players like Dagg didn´t evolve because of the coach. It was Darwin´s theory of national selection that players get picked because they are simply better.

GH realised that he was too authoritarian and that sometimes you have to understand the type of person you´re dealing with. By the end of his career, it was an all too common scene to see a player with his arm around Henry. He opened himself up more to the more human side of coaching and the players in turn seemed to become more tight-knit as a result. When you´re too strict with players like he was on the Lions tour, you don´t create a team environment.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

How long did Henry take to win a WC? Well he only had two cracks at it with NZ. They don't come around every year.

Poor French team? Did you not see the final? Thought you'd know better than to dismiss France as poor. Terribly inconsistent yes. But they didn't have to play that well in the QF to win we'll give you that. We've been stung far too many times to take what you wrote seriously.

Henry is one of the greatest coaches ever and second only to Fred the Needle in NZ's history. He's the best in the professional era I reckon and has added immeasurably to the AB legacy-apart from one shocker of a tournament and the SH winter in 09 his team has dominated. Certainly trumps Woodward and is smart enough to go at the top instead of letting future campaigns blight what he has achieved. England are getting the players, just not the mindset yet and not many would want to coach them at present.

He can do what he wants and good on him. He has learned from his mistakes and now has the champion status he deserves.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down