The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Andrews...........Again.

+18
Tiler76
McLaren
oldparwin
ScottieD18
matelot golfer
SpacemanSpiff
Mercurio
JDandfries
dr_peeps
Dave The Jackal
navyblueshorts
JAS
Marcus
Maverick
George1507
super_realist
Redrage
4putt
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

St Andrews...........Again. - Page 2 Empty St Andrews...........Again.

Post by 4putt Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:39 am

First topic message reminder :

So, the 2015 Open is to be at St Andrews. Am I the only person here who finds it the most boring course on The Open cct? My opinion is based solely as a TV viewer. All the tradition and history of the place doesn't compensate for watching boring golf.

4putt

Back to top Go down

St Andrews...........Again. - Page 2 Empty Re: St Andrews...........Again.

Post by Maverick Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

So Tiger and Jack both said it at what was probably a media interview held whilst at St Andrews! Must be true then because surely none of these pro's who deal with the media everyday would tell a lie or just say what the R&A want to hear would they!

You also can't tell me that anyone buys into for example Oosthuizen saying his would be more important than darren clarkes which was won over a proper test of links!

Surely also if they want to say they won at the most prestigious and historic of Open venues then they'd need to have won at prestwick!!

Lastly another 2 pro's with Open victories one at St Andrews to boot, firstly Faldo was asked quite recently during commentary what was his favourite open win was it St Andrews due to history simply answered " no best was the 1st one, as the 1st one is always the best and most important as its the breakthrough".

Another was Greg Norman on sky report when being asked about Tiger he was asked would he have liked to have won the Open at TOC, he said "I won it twice and doesn't matter where as long as you can say you've won it"

Probably get some anit Faldo fans now saying nicks a grade A wotsit and blah blahetc what's his opinion matter! Also some will say Normans a choker blah blah. But I'd say this 5 opens between them one at TOC means they know a lot more than we do about the pro game

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

From a sentimental point of view I can see why people would want to win there, but from a golfint point of view its a poor course to hold an open on and the thrill of winning is diluted because it is played there far too often and the victory will undoubtedly lack drama, there hasn't been a good open there for years and it has more opportunities than any where else because it holds it so often, yet it fails to deliver.
I'd rather win somewhere where you beat the field but also mastered a tough course, TOC is the only course I've hit 18 greens in regulation and the only course I've not been genuinely thrilled to shoot under par on. Must be boring for the pro's once they see past the fake veneer of history, a bit like shagging Bridget bardot now, she was once a looker, but doing the deed now hardly the same as when she was in her prime. You can still say you shagged her, but its not as impressive is it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:10 pm

Mav I do kind of agree with you, but you can't slag Tiger/Jack for saying what they said as just keeping the media happy yet say Faldo/Greig weren't just saying it to keep the media happy and truly mean't it. I think they're all experts at telling us what we want to hear in a press tent.

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

super_realist wrote:From a sentimental point of view I can see why people would want to win there, but from a golfint point of view its a poor course to hold an open on and the thrill of winning is diluted because it is played there far too often and the victory will undoubtedly lack drama, there hasn't been a good open there for years and it has more opportunities than any where else because it holds it so often, yet it fails to deliver.

very true.

Additionally, as a spectator, I found it difficult to follow the action due to the double fairways and greens. Also it doesn't have the dunes that say St George's or Birkdale has, which create a natural amphitheatre for spectators.

Personally, not played TOC, only played the Jubilee at St Andrews... but it is something I have to do one day.

Interestingly, Nicklaus and Woods, who have won at St Andrews, say it was their most special win, but Norman, who didn't win there, says it's not important. Hardly surprising all round!

However, you can't say that Nicklaus and Woods were only saying it because they were there! They can't go to each venue every year and say it is their favourite!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:41 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:I've heard quotes from both Woods and Nicklaus stating their St Andrews Open wins as most important, but I guess thats an easy quote to make when you've won multiple majors. Always thought Nicklaus was trying to appear better than other multiple major winners who hadn't won there.

Well whilst overall Jack's major record was better than Tom's, I'd rather have Tom's British Open record than Jack's. They both won at Muirfield but Jacks other 2 were at TOC whereas Watson demonstrated links genius by also winning at Carnoustie, Turnberry, Troon & Birkdale. I have wondered if it ever irks Watson that he never won at TOC. Personally if I were him I'd content myself with what I'd done.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

It's the most famous, what else are they going to say, never been to a gig where the singer always says whatever venue he's at is the best?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 12 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

('steam')Please('steam') please('steam') please

St Andrews is NOT the home of golf.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

Ray - are you being ironic or are you confusing s_r and Mac?

(easy mistake to make, I know) Whistle

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

Davie wrote:Ray - are you being ironic or are you confusing s_r and Mac?

(easy mistake to make, I know) Whistle

I'm still waiting for them to announce a date. Can you imagine, the first ever 606 wedding!!! Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2