The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle

+18
Hood83
Bitter Beer
nathan
George Carlin
trebellbobaggins
Rollmeister
OzT
RubyGuby
damage_13
sirBiggles
Rangiora
EnglishReign
maestegmafia
mystiroakey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Metal Tiger
Runster
TheGreyGhost
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle Empty "Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:05 am

England were mocked for their humiliatingly premature "6 Nations Grand Slam" promotion, now sponsors Land Rover are upset at the disrespect shown by the England team during the mid-competition film-shoot.

The calamitous day was ruined by the "rude", "arrogant" England players who insulted staff, local people and ignored local road safety laws. Something that has caused particular disgust due to NZ's struggle with a high road accident rate which officials feel the England squad had made light of.

The day was a commercial failure for the sponsors, and they have registered a formal complaint about the England squad with the IRB apparently, who may now levy a hefty fine for violation of sponsorship agreements.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10758760

It's certainly hard to imagine the Welsh side behaving in this way, and they've earned themselves a semi-final spot.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

"Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle Empty Re: "Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle

Post by Runster Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:10 am

I think the Wales team are modestly preparing a song that they will sing if they win the WC. While England are out throwing dwarves and voiding chambermaids, the Welsh boys are having choir practice. What a sweet contrast.

Runster

Back to top Go down

"Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle Empty Re: "Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:15 am

Nowhere in the artical from the NZ Herald does it say anything about filming "Victory" advertising.

More rumours being circulated as "Fact" by TGG here, in his on going typically arrogant kiwi campaign to kick a country when it's down.

The entire artical is rumour produced by NZ herald sources as Landrover have refused to discuss the issue.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:26 am

England in "more concerned about rugby than sponsorship" shocker

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:29 am

lol

the only thing landriver have said is this below

A Land Rover spokesperson said: 'Any discussions are part of our commercial partnership and therefore private.'

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:33 am

Wow these English players are becoming easier to dislike by the moment.

What a bunch of footballer wanna be's,as far as im concerned Johnson has lost complete control of his whole team,they don't respect him or the jersey!

No great revelation really because half the squad are not English so why would they respect the jersey? its not lIke Hartley and co grew up dreaming of playing for England.

The whole RFU down to the coaching staff is just one great big train wreck and long may it continue Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:48 am

REad This by Alan \phillips the WElsh team Manager about the Welsh team in NZ

"To give you an idea, we were coming through the airport on Monday when we left Wellington, and they were given a standing ovation. And when we arrived here in Auckland, they were given a standing ovation there too.

"My eyes were welling up. I was so proud to see people respecting this group of players. But to them – well, they were just not fazed by it at all. Maybe after a week or two of being home, they’ll think 'that was a good trip, we did some good things out there'. At the moment they’re busy enjoying it all.

“It’s very special because we’ve already earned a lot of respect. When you hear some of the greats of New Zealand rugby commenting on how well we’re playing, and what we’re like off the field, it’s very satisfying.

"I don’t even think the people of Wales fully realise the respect these boys are earning. All the southern hemisphere sides are saying how good Warburton, [Jamie] Roberts, [George] North and [Mike] Phillips are. It’s fantastic.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:15 am

Actually on having seen the video now, I have to take it back.

What we have here is some overtly commercial organisation, blatantly exploiting the NZ countryside and trying to exploit rugby players, distracting them during one of the most important competitions of their careers.

The media company responsible were clearly trying to create some tired, cliched and pathetic "England team vie in laddish competitive way to be best off-road driver" and the guys were feeling massively patronised by it and clearly wanted to get out of there as quickly as they could.

It's very uncomfortable to watch.

And the sad thing is that Landrover, having failed to get the coverage they wanted are now further sticking their snouts in the trough for yet more money and putting the boot into guys who albeit lacking professionalism and commercial nous (but they are rugby players, not vapid models or actors after all) have just been knocked out and don't deserve this kind of kicking. LR are using the already tarnished reputation as leverage to force their claim, cover their embarrassment and repair the damage done to their brand by the whole misconceived idea.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:17 am

I'll believe it when I see it, oh wait the footage is "unusable"? Surprise, surprise...

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:18 am

Metal Tiger wrote:Nowhere in the artical from the NZ Herald does it say anything about filming "Victory" advertising.

More rumours being circulated as "Fact" by TGG here, in his on going typically arrogant kiwi campaign to kick a country when it's down.

The entire artical is rumour produced by NZ herald sources as Landrover have refused to discuss the issue.

Well it was in the Daily Mail first so must be right ,

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:19 am

EnglishReign wrote:I'll believe it when I see it, oh wait the footage is "unusable"? Surprise, surprise...

It's on Youtube. You can find it pretty easily. It's cringeworthy. It's actually more difficult to watch than the England-Scotland match.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:24 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:I'll believe it when I see it, oh wait the footage is "unusable"? Surprise, surprise...

It's on Youtube. You can find it pretty easily. It's cringeworthy. It's actually more difficult to watch than the England-Scotland match.

What am I searching for? Can't find it.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:32 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Actually on having seen the video now, I have to take it back.

What we have here is some overtly commercial organisation, blatantly exploiting the NZ countryside and trying to exploit rugby players, distracting them during one of the most important competitions of their careers.

The media company responsible were clearly trying to create some tired, cliched and pathetic "England team vie in laddish competitive way to be best off-road driver" and the guys were feeling massively patronised by it and clearly wanted to get out of there as quickly as they could.

It's very uncomfortable to watch.

And the sad thing is that Landrover, having failed to get the coverage they wanted are now further sticking their snouts in the trough for yet more money and putting the boot into guys who albeit lacking professionalism and commercial nous (but they are rugby players, not vapid models or actors after all) have just been knocked out and don't deserve this kind of kicking. LR are using the already tarnished reputation as leverage to force their claim, cover their embarrassment and repair the damage done to their brand by the whole misconceived idea.

Fair play, i suspect the truth is somehwere between the two.

You have english players who are payed to do this stuff but refuse to take it seriously. Its hardly a scandal, if somewhat unprofessional.

Your all black boys can look forward to lots of this when they are up our way in 2015 now they the NZRFU has negotitians on more conmmercial freedom going. Lets see how shamelessly they can exlpoit the haka.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

"Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle Empty Take the 2015 RWC from them...

Post by sirBiggles Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:35 am

England's lack of respect for the tournament and its hosts have been there from the day they arrived to the day the left.

RWC should look hard at the decision to award them the cup in 2015.

They should take it off them. As a contingency, they should give it to the Celtic Nations to host instead, with the 4th Pool going to Italy, as they also play in the "Celtic League" or Pro12 as it is now known.

Knock out stages to go to Wales and Ireland, as they progressed furthest, with Wales hosting the Final.

If England want to act like children, then treat them so, and remove their rewards and put them on the naughty step.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:41 am

WTF ... This is OLD news LR has been commercial sponsors for the England team for YEARS, there has been quite a few vids made and countless ads in the rugby press (with players contractually obliged to get the words Land Rover into their tweets/blogs).

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed insult to another poster.)

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:45 am

When they visited my Wife's hospital in Christchurch they were nothing but all sweetness and light. Martin Jonhson stood shoulders ahead in the PR stakes .

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:51 am

Rangiora wrote:When they visited my Wife's hospital in Christchurch they were nothing but all sweetness and light.

They were just knackered and hung over mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:52 am

I don't know if any of you have watched the O2 inside line videos on Youtube, but you definitely should as they are a good laugh. You also get to see the good community work that the team have done during their stay, which I realise hasn't made the press at all.

It's a shame some fans on here can't see through the press when it unfairly criticises England but slam it when it unfairly praises them.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:14 am

EnglishReign wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

What am I searching for? Can't find it.

"England Rugby 2011 Land Rover New Zealand" Does it. It's not available on mobile youtube platforms. Go figure.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:16 am

But Land Rover's not English any more, so why the need for English players for the ad?

Sponsors maybe but why not get an English company to sponsor English sides?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:19 am

sirBiggles wrote:England's lack of respect for the tournament and its hosts have been there from the day they arrived to the day the left.

They should take it off them. As a contingency, they should give it to the Celtic Nations to host instead, with the 4th Pool going to Italy, as they also play in the "Celtic League" or Pro12 as it is now known.

Knock out stages to go to Wales and Ireland, as they progressed furthest, with Wales hosting the Final.

If England want to act like children, then treat them so, and remove their rewards and put them on the naughty step.

Sometiems Im embaressed to be welsh

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:22 am

EnglishReign wrote:I don't know if any of you have watched the O2 inside line videos on Youtube, but you definitely should as they are a good laugh. You also get to see the good community work that the team have done during their stay, which I realise hasn't made the press at all.

It's a shame some fans on here can't see through the press when it unfairly criticises England but slam it when it unfairly praises them.

This really annoys me. I know England have been to Christchurch, hospitals and schools, as have most of the other teams. We never hear about any of the good stuff though. furious

I personally don't think that England are as bad as the media has made out. I think they should have behaved a little better at certain times though, and should remember that they are professionals.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:39 am

Total shake up needed of the rfu, of the management and of the team.

English rugby is going nowhere for the next decade I fear.

I think sadly the rot set in when they won the RWC. Seems they got lazy and arrogant. Record numbers of kids started playing leading to a U21 team of some quality but the senior set-up is a shambles that ruins or ignores them. Not good.

I'm pleased to see the hard working and focused Welsh And Irish eclipse us now. They deserve it.

I do however think the media have set out to to slate them and knock them down there but that they played into it by being fools. They should have been nothing but gentlemen the entire time.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:54 am

OzT wrote:But Land Rover's not English any more, so why the need for English players for the ad?

Sponsors maybe but why not get an English company to sponsor English sides?

its still very much an english/birtish company- but is owned by tata(i think)

The cars are still very much made and designed in britain, by british- the brand is still quintessentially british- and that is why the brand is still highly regarded.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:04 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:England's lack of respect for the tournament and its hosts have been there from the day they arrived to the day the left.

Sometiems Im embaressed to be welsh

You shouldn't be embarrassed PSW. Wales are flying high.........

.... by the way... my statement was a bit of a WUM (not a good one I admit), in case you think I was being serious angel

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:07 am

Cheers for the explanation mystirokey, fair point.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:09 am

Brian Moore was spot on in the Telegraph:

"There are simple issues here, those of intelligence, responsibility and respect and these are not addressed in the apology video they made. Their actions speak more truly than a PR-instigated promotion.

Even if the recidivists did not understand the above, what about respect for those in their squad, like Lewis Moody, who sacrificed hedonism to try to be the best prepared for the biggest challenge. What sort of respect have they had for their own team-mates? Did they not know, did they not care, about this, the most basic tenet of team sport?

What have they got to say to the team of hard-working youth development officers who weekly battle for the attention of England’s kids against similar efforts from football, cricket, tennis and the like? What have those YDO’s been able to point to that makes rugby union the sport to play: represent England and harass maids, toss dwarves, get arrested and perform poorly.

The problem is that some players want the trappings of fame – exposure, adulation, sponsorship – but they do not want to do, or do not know, what it takes to earn them. Until they do, they will get no respect even if they wear the red rose again because the public are not the fools they seem to think."
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:12 am

I think its quite appropriate that the english team in the RWC are sponsored by a company by the name of TaTa Yahoo TaTa boys, see ya in a few weeks thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:19 am

mystiroakey wrote:the brand is still quintessentially british- and that is why the brand is still highly regarded.

Are you Haskells agent?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:44 am

viewtothegym wrote:Wow these English players are becoming easier to dislike by the moment.

What a bunch of footballer wanna be's,as far as im concerned Johnson has lost complete control of his whole team,they don't respect him or the jersey!

No great revelation really because half the squad are not English so why would they respect the jersey? its not lIke Hartley and co grew up dreaming of playing for England.

The whole RFU down to the coaching staff is just one great big train wreck and long may it continue Laugh

before spouting your vile, i'd suggest actually reading the article on the NZ hereld.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:02 am

George Carlin wrote:Brian Moore was spot on in the Telegraph:

"There are simple issues here, those of intelligence, responsibility and respect and these are not addressed in the apology video they made. Their actions speak more truly than a PR-instigated promotion.

Even if the recidivists did not understand the above, what about respect for those in their squad, like Lewis Moody, who sacrificed hedonism to try to be the best prepared for the biggest challenge. What sort of respect have they had for their own team-mates? Did they not know, did they not care, about this, the most basic tenet of team sport?

What have they got to say to the team of hard-working youth development officers who weekly battle for the attention of England’s kids against similar efforts from football, cricket, tennis and the like? What have those YDO’s been able to point to that makes rugby union the sport to play: represent England and harass maids, toss dwarves, get arrested and perform poorly.

The problem is that some players want the trappings of fame – exposure, adulation, sponsorship – but they do not want to do, or do not know, what it takes to earn them. Until they do, they will get no respect even if they wear the red rose again because the public are not the fools they seem to think."

Very rarely do I agree with Moore. But on this occasion he's spot on. Other than that thing about YDOs. Obviously it's more the foreigners they're trying to attract who may be put off my the lads club that England seems to have descended into. I wouldn't be surprised to see more Foxton's salesman turning out for England in the future the way things are going.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

This constant England bashing, and anti-English bile says more about the character, mentality and maturity of those participating in it than any poor behaviour actual, perceived or otherwise perpetrated by the English players.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:14 am

Re: "Rude" and "Arrogant" England in RWC Commercial Debacle
by Bitter Beer Today at 2:09 pm

This constant England bashing, and anti-English bile says more about the character, mentality and maturity of those participating in it than any poor behaviour actual, perceived or otherwise perpetrated by the English players.
-----------------------------
Cry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:24 am

I rest my case.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

Bitter Beer wrote:I rest my case.

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:34 am

Meh. Same old same old.

Think it's a shame that despite genuinely going out of their way to reach out to local communities (no, not the dwarf throwing!) the England squad gets a kicking over some non-stories.

The treament of the chamber maid was pretty unsavoury if t obe believed, but I think it is without question that England showed the country of New Zealand and the people there a great deal of respect.

Beating up on England's dour turd-fest rugby is all well and good, the rest smacks of a complex.

Is there really not enough good news for New Zealand and Welsh rugby to concentrate on that. Seems the England fascination is a waste of time fellas, we're hardly a threat now are we?!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Complex doesn't go half far enough to expalining such behaviour.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

A quote from Warren Gatland on the BBC today.

"As a coach, I don't take any satisfaction whatsoever or any pleasure in the criticism that has been heaped on England, insisted Gatland.

I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of the media in the past. As a fellow coach, there are a lot of good friends of mine in the England set-up.

I don't take any pleasure - and I'm sure the Welsh team don't take any pleasure - on all that criticism that has been heaped on England.

So, I just want to say we are no monks, we are not whiter than white and we have had our problems in the past."

It's a pity his stance wasn't shared by more people on this forum.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Ah but its the biggest global audience for the game so its impotant that the new zeland herald rakes up every opportunity to give the English tourists something to read.
Why they dont just save money and reprint the 2003 "Jonny kicks a ball over some posts" 12 page special I dont know.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:38 am

angel

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:44 am

Looks like more hacks have nothing better to do than join in the England rugby bashing. Shame on them they went bungey jumping, shame on them they had drinks after a game, I mean rugby players drinking! Shame on them, Manu jumping off a ferry (made me laugh)? Shame on him for joking around at the age of 20 (at that age I probabley would have been caught up to worse mischief). It's all a bit old and boring. The only one who should have been given a verbal would be Haskell for harrassing the maid and that was more immature than anything else.

I notice that none of the papers made a big thing of the Welsh team going quad biking (more dangerous than bungey jumping) on their day off!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

Gatland also insisted that there was/is no alcohol ban and some of the players have had a few beers, but it was down to them to choose whether to have it. I see no differences to be honest. A selection of the England players only went out to greet a large England fan contingent at one of the main bars. Some might say a nice gesture, Eddie Butler says "sour faced boozers".

It's interesting that the strong group of young Leicester players have managed to stay out of the limelight completely, well, except for Tuilagi's jump. Also no spotlight for the pros like Moody, Thompson, Wilko etc

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:52 am

Bitter Beer wrote:This constant England bashing, and anti-English bile says more about the character, mentality and maturity of those participating in it than any poor behaviour actual, perceived or otherwise perpetrated by the English players.

Does that apply to what Brian Moore and Fran Cotton have had to say?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:52 am

You are quite happy for the media to talk about England when it's good news and you will regularly state that England are the only commercially viable side in the UK.

You need to learn to take the bad with the good.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

Cymroglan wrote:You are quite happy for the media to talk about England when it's good news and you will regularly state that England are the only commercially viable side in the UK.

Yeah just like youll happily whinge about ITV coverage .....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:54 am

I rest my case.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

Cymroglan wrote:I rest my case.

What case?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:00 am

Read it again

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:01 am

I guess we can now assume that Cymroglan (by his own logic) will "take the bad with the good" and never, ever whinge again about TV coverage 'bias'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:02 am

You are quite happy for the media to talk about England when it's good news and you will regularly state that England are the only commercially viable side in the UK.

----------------------------------------
Pretty simple really if you want to be talked about all the time be prepared for it not to be all good news.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next