The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The commercial pressure of the modern game...

+3
Cyril
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
7 posters

Go down

The commercial pressure of the modern game... Empty The commercial pressure of the modern game...

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm

Just reading yesterday's I newspaper and Tom Peck on page 9, states Englands possible early exit, the first by a host nation in RWC history could cost the RFU £60m.

Last year the RFU made £28.9m last year through merchandising, sponsors and licensing, Sports marketing agency Generate say a positive RWC would be worth a 70% increase, a negative RWC could live se them 20% to 30%.  That's over £60m in a four year RWC cycle.

I am sure the lads in the old days didn't feel this weight on their shoulders...!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

The commercial pressure of the modern game... Empty Re: The commercial pressure of the modern game...

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Just reading yesterday's I newspaper and Tom Peck on page 9, states Englands possible early exit, the first by a host nation in RWC history could cost the RFU £60.

Last year the RFU made £28.9m last year through merchandising, sponsors and licensing, Sports marketing agency Generate say a positive RWC would be worth a 70% increase, a negative RWC could live se them 20% to 30%.  That's over £60m in a four year RWC cycle.

I am sure the lads in the old days didn't feel this weight on their shoulders...!

Only £60? That's not so bad Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

The commercial pressure of the modern game... Empty Re: The commercial pressure of the modern game...

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:39 pm

£60? That's less than Nick Easter lost down the toilet in 2011 Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Sep 2015, 2:10 pm

Cyril wrote:£60? That's less than Nick Easter lost down the toilet in 2011 Laugh

Nice One Cyril laughing laughing thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

With World Rugby's review of Garces performance indicating 3 penalties kicked by Biggar were an error by the ref, I suppose RFU could always threaten to sue them. After all it worked for FAI with FIFA Very Happy

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/england-told-three-penalties-wales-6535217

PS not a complaint about the ref, we all know why and how the match was won - and it was down to the players. Just a flippant response to a rather pointless bit of speculation and misleading headline.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

LondonTiger wrote:With World Rugby's review of Garces performance indicating 3 penalties kicked by Biggar were an error by the ref, I suppose RFU could always threaten to sue them. After all it worked for FAI with FIFA Very Happy

Got a link to that claim??

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Sep 2015, 4:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:With World Rugby's review of Garces performance indicating 3 penalties kicked by Biggar were an error by the ref, I suppose RFU could always threaten to sue them. After all it worked for FAI with FIFA Very Happy

I actually think that Garces was a little harsh with some of the calls. Aparently refs are being told to police the breakdown as strictly as possible.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

There's some good analysis on this link if anyone's interested. Nice in depth stuff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11894139/England-vs-Wales-Six-areas-where-Warren-Gatlands-side-overhauled-World-Cup-hosts.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

On the commercial side of things, I was personally a bit negative about the ticket prices for games involving the 'smaller' teams but I have been proved completely wrong. The crowds have been fantastic, I mean 89,000 to watch Romania play?! England going out would no doubt dampen the media coverage, but its hard to see this WC being anything other than a huge success financially for the IRB.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:19 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:On the commercial side of things, I was personally a bit negative about the ticket prices for games involving the 'smaller' teams but I have been proved completely wrong. The crowds have been fantastic, I mean 89,000 to watch Romania play?! England going out would no doubt dampen the media coverage, but its hard to see this WC being anything other than a huge success financially for the IRB.

I think they were there to watch Ireland play to be honest. The romania canada game will be much smaller.

It will be a huge financial success for the RFU as they keep the gate receipts.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm

Not a huge profit for RFU - they needed somewhere between 85-90% of tickets to be sold to break even.

The sum going to World Rugby was guaranteed and was rather large to cover shortfalls in 2011 and those expected in 2019,

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down