The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall

+20
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nathan
doctor_grey
Knowsit17
Hood83
Davie
Gatts
englandglory4ever
gavstar
offload
formerly known as Sam
Bitter Beer
funnyExiledScot
EnglishReign
The Gramlin
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HERSH
damage_13
TheGreyGhost
tomathy
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall Empty Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall

Post by tomathy Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:25 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15286104.stm

'Former England captain Fran Cotton has criticised Mike Tindall and Martin Johnson after being appointed to head a review of the Rugby Football Union.

Cotton, who is chairing an independent review of the entire England structure, singled out Tindall for getting "absolutely hammered" on a night out.

He said: "That is not part of an athlete's lifestyle. What example does that set to the younger players?"

Of Johnson, he added: "I've not seen an improvement in three-and-a-half years."'
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall Empty Re: Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 am

Isn't Fran a girl's name?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall Empty Re: Cotton criticises Johnson and Tindall

Post by tomathy Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Isn't Fran a girl's name?

Good one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:33 am

Nope, but Cory Jane is.

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:38 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Nope, but Cory Jane is.

And Israel Dagg? Surely that's just a country's name.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Nope, but Cory Jane is.

drumroll

owned

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 am

GreyGhost is a Ti t's name isn't it?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 am

If he hasnt seen an improvement since 2008 I dont know what hes been watching. The off the field behaviour was worse on that tour.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 am

C'mon Fran Cotton, it sounds like budget sanitary protection.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gramlin Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am

Tindall wasn't the worst one that night. Why was Ashton wearing a 1980's woman's top?

The Gramlin

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm

You spelt the name wrong, but I still don't know why Fearne Cotton is getting involved.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:14 pm

EnglishReign wrote:You spelt the name wrong, but I still don't know why Fearne Cotton is getting involved.

The review is going include someone with "no connections with rugby" on the three person panel. Perhaps the RFU have appointed Fearne Cotton to that role. Not a bad call really.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:You spelt the name wrong, but I still don't know why Fearne Cotton is getting involved.

The review is going include someone with "no connections with rugby" on the three person panel. Perhaps the RFU have appointed Fearne Cotton to that role. Not a bad call really.

That Sonia lass off the BBC will be livid when she finds out she missed out on the gig

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

damage_13 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Nope, but Cory Jane is.

drumroll

owned

+1

Yahoo

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Bitter Beer wrote:
damage_13 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Nope, but Cory Jane is.

drumroll

owned

+1

Yahoo

According to Wikipedia, Cory is both a girls and boys name. The only reference I can find to "Fran" is under "Cute Baby Girl's Names", with a warning that you should remember your baby girl will one day grow up and want an adult name.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Of Johnson, he added: "I've not seen an improvement in three-and-a-half years."

He's missed the two wins over OZ and the 6Ns win then. It's been a tough old time for England but there has been an improvement. Most realistic England fans knew this tournament was coming to early and the injury to Sheridan hurt us.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:54 pm

I agree, there has been some improvement under Johnson and the squad is better than it was when he started.

I don't think there's been enough though to justify his continuation, and in my view he was never the right appointment. The selection errors before and during this World Cup campaign were unforgivable at international level. I don't think a top class experienced coach/manager would have made such mistakes.

Still, whether you agree with Cotton or not, it sounds like he's going along the right lines. Wholesale changes are needed, starting with the top and working downwards. Get the right men involved and give them 4 years. No silly targets, no interim appointments and no politics. Fresh start needed.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Well it's good to see that the guy heading the review isn't jumping to any firm conclusions. Very Happy
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
Bitter Beer wrote:
damage_13 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Nope, but Cory Jane is.

drumroll

owned

+1

Yahoo

According to Wikipedia, Cory is both a girls and boys name. The only reference I can find to "Fran" is under "Cute Baby Girl's Names", with a warning that you should remember your baby girl will one day grow up and want an adult name.

Tumbleweed

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Francis---boy, Frances--- girl, which way does Fran spell his name?

As for a review, it should be of the whole of English rugby, not narrowly on the rwc, there are wider issues than the rwc.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:01 pm

The OP wrote "....Cotton, who is chairing an independent review of the entire England structure, singled out Tindall for getting "absolutely hammered" on a night out...."

Doesn't sound very 'independent' to me. Sounds more like the Spanish Inquisition than an independent review. Tindall should plead guilty now and save the train fare.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I think 'cory' was also slang for a knob.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:44 pm

This from a side managed by Johnson

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:This from a side managed by Johnson

well what do you expect

I think we should hold a revue of England posters on 606v2

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

tomathy wrote:

As far as I'm aware a dagg is the bit of crap covered wool that hangs off a sheep's backside

Draw your own conclusions

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Aren't there posting standards for moderators? Wink

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Gatts wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:This from a side managed by Johnson

well what do you expect

I think we should hold a revue of England posters on 606v2

What do i expect? Better spelling young man. Maybe we should hold a 'revue' of Welsh posters spelling.

Cheap shot but you reap what you sow Gatts!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I think you've missed a joke there Hood.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I think you've missed a joke there Hood.

I think you're right, damn it!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:50 pm

You see, I didn't quote you, so that you can pop in and have another go when no one is looking...

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:06 am

I've not seen an improvement in English posters since 606v2 opened and Hersh was allowed to retain his position as chief WUM. I think a hearing might be in order, when's everyone free?

Cotton is way off about Johnson's success rate, yet spot on about Tindall. I will really never understand why people are letting a national captain off so lightly over these types of actions. I don't know what's worse, that or the fact that he first tried to conceal it, in other words run and hide from the responsibility required of his position, and is now among most of his team in trying to evade and wave away criticism. That attitude will get them nowhere.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:20 am

Hood83 wrote:

Ah, young Hood.

Told you we need a revue of you English types.

Twas a play on words, 'revue' suggesting a comically musical extravaganza full of drama, tears and icecream....as opposed to 'review' which one would expect to occur after an organisation had effectively gone into meltdown.

Pretty sure we know which type the IRB will be!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 am

Davie wrote:
tomathy wrote:

As far as I'm aware a dagg is the bit of crap covered wool that hangs off a sheep's backside

Hey. You are absolutely right. Literally the daggs are the dirty things hanging off the backside of sheep (or maybe includes other animals as well). What a crappy name.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 am

Gatts wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Ah, young Hood.

Told you we need a revue of you English types.

Twas a play on words, 'revue' suggesting a comically musical extravaganza full of drama, tears and icecream....as opposed to 'review' which one would expect to occur after an organisation had effectively gone into meltdown.

Pretty sure we know which type the IRB will be!

I'm not sure it made sense entirely, but hats off to you anyway. And a revue would be a much better description of English rugby. A review of the revue perhaps?

I'll put myself back in the box.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:13 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Davie wrote:
tomathy wrote:

Hey. You are absolutely right. Literally the daggs are the dirty things hanging off the backside of sheep (or maybe includes other animals as well). What a crappy name.

Wasn't 'daggy' Aussie slang in the 90s for 'rubbish'. I get this from Neighbours of course.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 am

How's it a review if he's already made his mind up before the review even starts!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 am

It's a review of his conclusions then?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 am

Dagg was also the name given to a black oil used to clean/lubricate electromechanical equipment.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 am

"Wasn't 'daggy' Aussie slang in the 90s for 'rubbish'. I get this from Neighbours of course."

Cheers for the nostalgia injection.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 am

Just for the anoraks out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_(subculture)

Very Happy

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am

i see Mark McCafferty has come out and criticised this "independent review". At least someone is talking sense.

Not sure how this review is going to be independent when cotton has come to his conclusion even before there first meet.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 am

When i hear his name all i can think of is Snatch

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Fran short for Francis

like, Francis Drake

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Why is Fern Cotton having a pop at Johnson and England now? Things arent that bad?!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Fran Tarkenton was a co-host of That´s Incredible.

Cory Jane may have a girl´s name but that´s not a girl´s fend he has. He goes out drinking and smoking before a game and then puts in a great performance on the field.

Fran Cotton doesn´t have anything to say about that. If he doesn´t think winning the 6N is an improvement then I´m not sure what he defines as an improvement. Idiotic, tiresome drab from the media. At least the dwarves and Manu overboard were mildly amusing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
Cory Jane may have a girl´s name but that´s not a girl´s fend he has. He goes out drinking and smoking before a game and then puts in a great performance on the field..

Shame hes not a girl, sounds like my ideal date

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:31 pm

What someone who can fend you away? Each to their own mate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Maybe Pete likes it when people play 'hard to get' Wink

To be fair, I wouldnt mind trying to get past Ferne Cotton's hand-off.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:You see, I didn't quote you, so that you can pop in and have another go when no one is looking...

Appreciated GG but i think that horse has bolted

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Hood83 wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:You see, I didn't quote you, so that you can pop in and have another go when no one is looking...

Appreciated GG but i think that horse has bolted

No still here, conducting a review Wink

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next