The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias

+6
Scratch
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
Sgt_Pooly
10 posters

Go down

Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias Empty Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

Interesting article:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9212747,00.html

Denis Leamy has criticised Ireland boss Joe Schmidt for selecting too many of his former charges from old club Leinster.

The former Munster and Ireland back-row was angry at the coach's decision to drop Ulster fly-half Paddy Jackson from his squad in favour of Ian Madigan.
"I think what rankles with Munster people - and I suspect some folk in Ulster- is that guys who aren't first choice in Leinster are still good enough for the national squad," Leamy wrote in the Irish Independent.
"I would have to disagree with some of the calls. Tommy O'Donnell lost his place on the bench, I think he is a better player than Jordi Murphy.
"I would argue that Donnacha Ryan brings more to the table than Rhys Ruddock and you just have to wonder what Simon Zebo - a Lion last summer - has to do to get back into the squad. Paddy Jackson has a more rounded game at the moment than Ian Madigan.
"The World Cup is just a year and a half away. The circle will need to be widened and not having done that in the Six Nations narrows the opportunities."

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias Empty Re: Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:43 pm

May I be the first to criticise Leamy's Munster bias. Ireland are in prime position to win the championship. Who cares if there are only two Munster players in the team. Championship win is all that counts.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias Empty Re: Leamy criticises Schmidt's Leinster bias

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:50 pm

Agree Guns, very odd timing from Leamy.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

Munster folk just cant help themselves.

Dont be fooled either Leamy doesnt give a hoot about how many Ulster players are left out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Mar 2014, 4:58 pm

Agreed. The best two sides in the tournament have been Ireland and England, and Ireland have full control over their destiny going into the final week. I think this is an ill-judged piece from Leamy, particularly the timing.

Whilst you'll never get complete consensus on squad selection, it's a shame that he's characterised his disagreements in such a tribal manner. As it happens I agree with him regarding Simon Zebo, he would be my first choice for the Ireland wing, and I also agree re: Donnacha Ryan, but my judgment has nothing to do with the provinces those players represent.

I also think that Tommy O'Donnell is going to be a special player, but there's no doubt Chris Henry has played really well and taken his chance, and Jordi Murphy is a number 8, not an openside flanker. Perhaps Schmidt is comfortable with Henry on the pitch for 80 minutes, but wants an impact sub covering number 8 rather than 7. Perhaps his team selections have nothing to do with whether the players come from Munster, Ulster, Leinster or Connacht.

You'll always get accusations of bias when a new coach comes in. O'Sullivan and Kidney faced similar accusations, and it does seem to be a particular issue in Ireland (perhaps because England and Wales haven't had to choose a successful club/regional coach in a long time).

In Scotland we have a different issue with Scott Johnson. Thank your lucky stars you have Schmidt!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:34 pm

I read that Leamy piece and he's being as diplomatic as he can be whilst also getting in a Provincial thump...even dragging in Ulster folk, whether they were looking to be included or not.  
Which is fine - he's from Munster and he feels a slight twinge of feeling short-changed, given a true look at Provincial form books lately.

I have no issue with any current or past player/current or past coach speaking their mind honestly.  I've stood up for coaches and players alike when they do have the courage and self-respect to actually say something they mean rather than a bunch of cliched platitudes that come down the ages of bland-rugby-speak.

But look on the bright side.  Such feelings growing and churning in the minds of Munster men should see them attack the tail end of the club season with a bite that suggests they both want to put their names firmly in the mind of Schmidt and/or also to two finger salute him with evidence that he picked the wrong bunch of players and might have had a GS instead had he picked the right ones.

He's certainly given Munster players more incentive both in Pro12 and, more importantly, in Europe.  If they did the business in Europe this year, and it's well within their capability to do so, then would they thank Schmidt for gaining two titles this year for Irish players? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

I did wonder when Schmidt's 'm' would begin to be silenced in the Ireland Plc Co-op store branches tbh.

Not this quickly though.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

A tad embarrassing that Leamy undermines irish confidence prior to the game, such a statement would have been better timed in post match analysis….but i suppose depending on the result he wouldn't have the opportunity to make it.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Fri 14 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

I can understand the frustration somewhat but I don't think his examples show a particularly clear bias. I'd have no problem with O'Donnell replacing Murphy but Ryan and Ruddock don't even play the same position. Also, talented as Zebo is, if the rumours are true as to why he has been consistently overlooked then fair play to the management team.

Jackson vs Madigan is contentious.  PJ is the more accomplished flyhalf but Madigan covers 3 other positions and is more accurate from the tee (he'll probably come into the game at centre anyway barring injury). I'd also prefer to have Madigan come on if we had to chase the game but Jackson come on if we were winning. Jackson manages the game better but I think he's been often playing a bit too far behind the gainline in his international starts thus far. He will undoubtedly improve with the confidence that will come from playing in the international team though.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 14 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

What's happened with Ryan of late? He was outstanding in prior 6N's.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinof Fri 14 Mar 2014, 6:07 pm

I think Joe Schmidt knows a hell of a lot more about rugby, coaching and picking the best players for a match than Leamy or any of the rest of us on 606. I also don't think he gives a toss about which provence they are from. He's the kind of manager that picks the best player for the game he want's to play and so far it's worked (ish).

I think Leamy's comments are a little unnecessary at this point and don't help anyone.

kevinof

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 14 Mar 2014, 6:56 pm

It has happened in England. Remember MikeyPhil? I remember him claiming Johnson was favouring Leicester by not having many Leicester players selected in the England squad. The next squad was than accused of having too many Leicester players and favouring them that way.

Also, there was a lot of bitching about all the Saracens players when Farrell Snr came in. Especially Farrell Jnr.

But at least they're just mentalists on a forum rather than guys who played to a high level.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:May I be the first to criticise Leamy's Munster bias. Ireland are in prime position to win the championship. Who cares if there are only two Munster players in the team. Championship win is all that counts.

Totally agree guns, the less Munster men the better.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down